Petco

Petco CEO James M. Myers

James M. Myers

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall fun place

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    DeKalb, IL

ProsI worked at two different store locations. Although both very different with store practices and pacing, but experiences were good. Exployees cared about each other and there was a lot of camaraderie. If you enjoy with interacting with various types of people, enjoy animals and want to learn new things, it's a good place.

ConsCorporate pushed "add-on" items way too much for my taste. Sometimes a person just wants to buy a bag of dog food and get on with their day and not be asked to buy another dog toy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep team-center focus.

Very hard company to work for

Store Manager (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsTraining was good, Dealing with people

Conspoor wages and no advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementMore positive motivatio

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Dirty store and employees hate people

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Skokie, IL

ProsBeing able to see dogs come into the store, talking with customers and getting to know them, learning more about dog food and treats; stuff that is relevant to me as a dog owner.

ConsThe store was too dirty for my tastes; I saw dust bunnies beneath every shelf, and sometimes on the sales floor during operating hours. My store manager grew up in Petco, but it seems like they don't have a proper training program, like they just promote from within without any additional training, besides learning from the person you worked with. The schedule changed every single week, regardless if someone had time off or not. The most important thing for our store were our "numbers" because corporate pressured the store manager to meet an expectation for ratings by customers, which is completely subjective. They don't have a proper system for inventory tracking; and although the employees there are honest, within the first week of me working there, I was able to figure out how anyone working there could be scamming the store. Lastly, I'll say that my store manager had been at the store for about a year, and two of the employees there had been there for like seven years. They completely undermined her at every chance. Not only that, but the store manager knows that they do not like her, a situation that exists because she is not properly trained in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some training in management, from experts who can troubleshoot your particular issues. Stop being reactionary to corporate's pressure, and try to get ahead of their, what I assume to be predictable, expectations of the store. Fire the employees that show insubordination. Conduct monthly staff meetings, rather than a half-hearted conversation with whoever is on-duty at the time.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for but pay not that great

Dog Groomer (Former Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsGreat management in place in most stores and the standards of care for animals is very high which is important since you're dealing with live creatures.

ConsIf you don't work under a good manager it can be very difficult to accomplish things and get things taken care of while following the policies and procedures of the company.

I LOVE IT!

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsEveryone there is so nice and supportive. Caring and hardworking. I felt very comfortable and everyone accepted me with open arms.

ConsNone at all. I love everything!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what your doing, You all are awesome!

Horrible Integrity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Joliet, IL

ProsCompensation good, associate culture good.

ConsCronyism, favoritism, no personal integrity among middle management. Lacking of talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into how the distribution centers are being run. Lack of talent, and upward mobility.

Don't Expect Anything Long-Term

Inventory and Pricing Department Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsEducate people about proper animal care

ConsNO uninterupted meal breaks.
    Expect managent to be mad when you want to take your 15min breaks.
    Constant Stress
    Your expected to do so much but they dont even train you

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the law....people need breaks!
    Better training for your managers

A once fun job that is quickly becoming cookie-cutter retail that just happens to sell animals and supplies.

Schaumburg, IL

Pros- Being around animals all day.
    - Request offs generally approved even with short notice.
    - In general, wonderful co-workers and associates.
    - If willing, you can learn a wealth of knowledge from other workers and managers from dogs to reptiles.
    - Several online training courses including extensive dog nutrition.
    - Customers seem much more friendly and polite than in most other types of retail, and when you help you get genuine thank yous from them.
    - A wonderful job to talk animals with customers if you share the interest.
    - Donations help local shelters

Cons- Request offs are generally approved even with short notice.
    - No set schedule, and you don't know what you are working on Sunday until Thursday or Friday evening. (Not just this location. Seems at the very least district-wide.)
    - Little to no communication from senior management. Even on critical issues.
    - No management training at all for associates moving up and are new to management. Assistant and up may get a few days crash course, but not much. The trend seems to be sink or swim, figure it out on your own.
    - Drama, excessive gossiping.
    - Favoritism from DM and GM.
    - Relies heavily on negative reinforcement with almost no positive.
    - Donations are encouraged negatively as well. Resulting in poor performance write-ups for those who cannot raise enough in a day.

Advice to Senior Management- Defend and stand up for your staff instead of throwing them under the bus and scapegoating.
    - Communicate, leave notes, print emails.
    - Focus on the whole, not the parts.
    - Follow P&P more closely.
    - Focus on morale more than numbers.

Ok as a place to get your feet wet

CADM (Current Employee)
    North Riverside, IL

ProsIf you are looking for a place to build your resume I recommend petco. They will hire you with no experience and usually provide training.

ConsThe pay, at least at the north riverside location, is sub par. the training they provide though I'm sure it will depend on the store and the person giving it has proven in sufficient. and because they are currently fighting to become a publicly traded company the payroll is insufficient, I mean they do not give us enough hours to run the store.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a fair wage, assign enough hours for people to be able to do their jobs, provide a more comprehensive training program and give more opportunity for advancement.

Management

Chicago, IL

Pros- The associates
    - The animals
    - Knowing that your contemporaries are on the same page as you and dealing with the same issues. So at least you are able to vent back and forth.
    - The Petco Foundation is good (in theory). Then again, $2-3 bil/year in revenue, but only $34 mil for animals in 10+ years (the vast majority of which comes from generous customers and associates)?

ConsWhere to begin?

- About 20% of Petco management I've encountered are qualified for their positions, let alone able to tie their own shoes. Very interesting mix of people who manage in this region. I can't figure out how some of these people get hired. Its definitely not charming personalities. Nor is it usually education (my college degree(s) say otherwise). Experience maybe? I don't know. Not when my manager confesses "I have no idea how I got this store."

- Everyone (outside of GMs) has mentioned pay. A company with an estimated $2.55 bil in 2008 revenues should be able to afford more than $0.30/hr max raises. I bet Jim Myers received a raise higher than that.

- And giving raises out on a curve? Rediculous. If I have five excellent employees deserving of a whopping $0.30/hr raise, but the company will only allow my store two, so three others have to settle for $0.20/hr or $0.10/hr? Talk about not appreciating your team.

- Hopefully lastly about money, why is it so bad to have full-time employees? Full-timers should only make up X% of payroll. Ha! Petco's owners paid $1.8 bil for the company. I'm sure they can afford benefits and minimal overtime for a few more full-timers.

- My DM has said approximately 200 words to me in my time at my current store (1-3 years). Never is he interested in learning from those "responsible" why things are the way they are. Instead, he talks to a slick talking buddy GM of his who always blames the manager(s) not in store that day. If "X" is working, then it is "Y's" fault, so the DM can't get the truth from "X."

- Despite parroting every other company with a "promote from within" policy, management positions in our region are filled from the outside approximately 80% of the time, if not more. My question is, if the staff you hired isn't good enough to be promoted, who is the failure here? The hired, or the hiring manager(s)?

- At what point is the GM responsible in this company? The ASM is actually the GM in regards to duties. The GM is just supposed to "oversee" and "direct" operations and "not actually supposed to work anything." I've seen many ASMs come and go at my store and others directly because of their GMs. If directing operations means sitting in the office and talking on your cell phone, or taking a break from that to go outside to smoke and talk on your phone, then repeat, then I know some pretty competent GMs. So how many ASMs and Department Managers have to fall before GMs are actually responsible? The GMs who actually hired those managers. I'm still waiting to find this out at a number of stores.

- I won't go much into it, but animal care is mediocre at Petco. Not due to the associates or lack of associate caring, though. Just things like have management who get angry when you find a sick or injured animal and have to spend time caring for it. Sorry for keeping the damned thing alive, so it can get better and then you can sell it and profit off it.

- Stores have lost approximately 15-30% in payroll over the past few years (from a company making record bucks), including those making plan and exceeding LY$, yet the duties and demands keep jumping. Some review mentioned their customer adviser position. Perfect example. There is supposed to be an associate who greets and assists customers exclusively during certain hours. No additional hours were allocated for this new role. Or there is the (in)famous "Showtime," also known as peak selling hours. During these hours, anywhere from 2-10hrs in a day, nobody is supposed to do anything but assist customers. No projects. No backstock. No anything. Well, no new hours for this either. Then, bosses want to come in and complain why X, Y, and Z aren't accomplished. Well, sorry, Showtime says nothing can be worked. "Oh, uhhhh, well, we gotta get this done." Yeah, that's some solid management.

- Complete lack of coaching. Its hinted at in various corporate documentation, but I've never seen it in practice by any superior. Coaching is not telling someone how to do something. Coaching is asking questions; understanding how associates best learn; utilizing company tools; helping associates figure out the best way to accomplish something on their own. Coaching is not "Here, do it like this!" Coming from different corporate cultures in the past, I've seen others the same as Petco, and some who actually do coach to success. More lip service from Petco in this department.

- I could go on and on and on, and already have. I'm a realist. I could write a novella criticizing each of all my employers throughout life. Things rarely change for the better at these faceless companies. I'd recommend anybody to get out when they can. Work for something local if you can. Open your own business if its feasible. Try not to get sucked up into dirty corporate vacuum bag of life. It'll only drain yours.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to management? If they made it through the cons list and couldn't gain any insight from that, I'd better not waste anymore time.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!

Petco Videos

Petco – Why Work for Us?

Improve the lives of pets and their parents. If you have a passion to enhance the bond people have with their pets, PETCO has the career for you. You’ll work in a fun environment with great people who share your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Petco reviews and ratings in Chicago, IL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Petco CEO James M. Myers. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by Petco employees.