Petco

Petco Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers

James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door(in 62 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management relies on their "team of experts" to make decisions regarding the animals in the store(in 31 reviews)

• The pay was minimum wage with no advancement for dog bathers(in 30 reviews)

Being around the animals is a great highlight every day. But don't expect to get to play. Care is very important.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsAnimal Care Standards are important. Good people - most are animal lovers and good teams.

ConsPolitics and not very good pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach and value your employees. You can't run a store when you constantly cut payroll.

Lost focus on what really matters. Threats based "learning".

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsAnimals
    Financially fit
    Few store closings
    Rapid growth (company not associates)

ConsPromoter. A customers survey opinion of pricing and stock levels could mean less bonus, pay, and opportunities to promote. Could also cost loss of your job.
    Dog Training. A fantastic program but the pressure to sell has given the program a sour taste. Only 2 part time people are thoroughly trained in the program yet everyone is expected to sell it.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts time to start giving back to the ones that help you accomplish your goals.
    Stop holding managers responsible for a customer that states pricing is too high.
    Offer payroll to outside events so that stores don't feel a burden when trying to connect with the community.
    Overhaul the HR department so that they react to the threats from upper management. Retaliation is higher at petco than I have ever witnessed in another company.

Work here for the awesome employees, but don't depend on the pay at all.

Pet Stylist (Current Employee) Goshen, IN

ProsPeople who work here are generally smart, and compassionate. Greeting people's new puppies and kitties is a pretty awesome perk. I like that the company is about education, so you aren't always selling somebody the most expensive thing, but the one that works the best for their needs. The grooming salon is very good about flexible scheduling and everyone works together and has a lot of fun.

ConsThe pay is crap. Seriously crap. As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise. The company thinks this is fine because you can "commission out" which is when you work yourself into the ground to do enough dogs in a week to beat your hourly pay with the 50% commission they give you. But then it's really only 50 dollars or so more and so not worth all the sweat and stress. They pay NEW and unskilled people on the floor more for walking in the door with their shirts not on backwards than they ever will you after you trained and learned a skill which takes expertise and commitment and is often dangerous, no matter how loyal you are to the company and how many years you stick it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the grooming salon RAISES. Holy crap. Where is the incentive to stay at your store, exactly, when after a few years you have enough loyal customers to break off and make more money out of your garage than you do working there? Where is the love when unskilled 18yo cashiers get bigger paychecks than seasoned ADULT and SKILLED workers? How is anyone supposed to live and feed our families on what you pay us?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Got me through college

Dog Trainer (Current Employee)

ProsFlexible scheduling, time off is almost always given. Staff is very close, almost like having a work family. It can be rewarding to have customers come back repeatedly because they liked you. It's more than just basic retail, lots of knowledge is gained and relationships built.

ConsCompany wastes a lot of time on programs that are designed to "improve customer relations" while expecting amazing results without giving the time to follow through. Hours are awful, it feels like the better the store performs, the fewer hours given. Pleasing the upper management is next to impossible (not store, district and higher).

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time to realize we are people, not robots. We do an awesome job with what we are given, and rather than taking away merit raises, use them to recognize those of us who are going above and beyond what is expected.

I've never had a more fulfilling job

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsIt's a very rewarding environment if you are passionate about enriching the lives of people and animals. Even when the job gets difficult or less than ideal situations arise, you can be sure that those things are only temporary and constructive feedback is sought, listened to and acted upon whenever possible. There are many opportunities to learn and grow within the company. I began as a part time sales associate and worked my way up to a salaried position. If you have a General Manager or District Manager who is good at identifying and nurturing talent, you'll go far!

ConsThe workload is heavy! Whenever you add animals to a retail environment the number of tasks triples, but the number of employees to perform them does not. You have to be a very "hands on" person regardless of your position.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp your GM's to grow talent within their stores by encouraging cross-training. When the incentives for Animal Certifications went away, so did the desire for Sales Partners to take the individual certifications. Reinstate small incentives (like a one-off bonus per certification) and you will have partners who are more enthusiastic about taking the time to study and become certified. This should include grooming staff.

A fun, but occasionally monotonous job

Dog and Cat Department Manager (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe work-life balance for this job has been unparalleled. My schedule has been altered to fit my lifestyle while I was in college and after I had my child. You do get a yearly raise, although it is meager at best. I loved the interaction with pets I had only a daily basis.

ConsIt can be monotonous. Also, it combines the two basic industries of retail and food; although it is not human food people still act similarly about their pet food.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the district manager more power. We had people in San Diego making horrid decisions for our store.

The Quality depends on the district

Avian Specialist (Former Employee)

ProsPromotes from within, Pets come first, able to learn about a variety of animals and their dietary needs & care, work close with management

Consshort hours, quality of staff varies between districts, can be disorganized depending on location,

Advice to Senior ManagementStores that achieve beyond sales goals should receive extra hours to handle customers. Provide more hours so that their is enough staff to manage animals and provide great customer service

Knowledge

Supervisor (Former Employee) Cranbury, NJ

ProsAt Petco you were encouraged to take a department and run, this formed a sense of accomplishment as well as success.

ConsWe had 6 Directors in 5 years and this made you feel like your decisions would not be validated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring from the same small pool of managers, new people and companies bring new ideas. Good luck

Good place with the right management, pay sucks.

Pet Groomer (Current Employee)

ProsGrooming-My clients love me, and will follow me anywhere, if it's petco or somewhere else .

ConsThe pay isn't great. Minimum wage compensation if you don't commission out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your hires better pay.

Love my job but not the pay

ProsWorking wih animals, being in a fun and friendly environment

ConsCannot be friend or contact any co worker outside work. This is a stupid and horrible policy. The pay for cahsiers and sales associates are not good and the raises are only yearly and not much at all.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!