Petco

Petco Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers

James M. Myers

Pros:
  • "Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door"
    in 54 reviews
  • "YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "The words micro manage or OCD are good beginnings to describe upper management"
    in 27 reviews
  • "The pay rate was like all retail, low, but working as a bather for minimum wage is obscene"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Decent company to work for, good pay in retail, not grooming.

Customer Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Petco part-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door. Getting to see frequent customers and watch their pups grow is rewarding. I also learned a lot about pet nutrition and maintenance that I didn't know prior to working here. The discounts vary on different items, definitely worth it if you have pets of your own. I earned two raises and was allowed to transfer into grooming.

ConsThe grooming department is treated like a completely different store. The employees on the floor where never trained to know even basic prices of the services offered in the salon. Management can be sneaky. When corporate comes around, prepare for chaos and ridiculous standards for the appearance of the animals...note that I said appearance. The actual care isn't as high as they make out to be. Donation drives are all about competition between the other district stores. I chose to work here originally because of their reputation of better animal care standards compared to PetSmart and was let down. Sick animals do get taken to the vet...when the manager decides. Sucks when your manager isn't that concerned.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake animal care standards more realistic and do-able, not just to look good on paper. It is impossible to do the walk through every hour with limited employees and no time to take care of the animals' needs when the front end needs to be covered. Make grooming prices more reasonable and require eduction on the floor about what goes on in the salon.

Dr. StrangeLove or, How I stopped worrying by not visiting Petc

Waltham, MA

I worked at Petco part-time for less than a year

ProsAnimals, animal lovers, location, pets, ease of access

ConsCleanliness, Dead Animals, Cleanliness (again)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease monitor your stores better

Currently working at Petco (training for Grooming Assistant) Cleanliness issues!

In Training Grooming Assistant (Current Employee)
Richmond, VA

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

ProsEnjoy helping and serving animals

ConsBAD Cleaning habits! Nothing gets cleaned properly. The hot water button on the washer is not working so everything gets washed on warm/cold (that does not kill germs). Laundry detergent is often not there! Wash is left in the washer for a couple days and when it gets discovered it STINKS and MOLDY! There is no protocol for cleaning! No dish detergent to wash the pet water bowls. I have seen grooming employees just rinse with water and not cleaning the bowls out properly, so the bowls are slimmy
...... The floors have not been cleaned since I have been there (recently hired). The shears that the groomers use are never cleaned after pre-shaving a dog with poop on its rear and then they use that same blade after bathing and grooming another pet! So disgusting! After the dogs poop or pee on floor the poop gets picked up but the floor never get washed with soap! The kennels are just barely wiped clean, unless I am scrubbing them down with disinfectant! The tubs are not getting wiped down every night with disinfectant. I have yet to see a mop or anything to mop the floors out in the grooming area! This is outrageous what goes on. I have come in the morning to find the same water bowls attached to the cages from the day before. Who is inspecting this stuff? I have talked to my manager about it, but so far have not seen anything change. (I asked the manager to be discreet with the recently appointed manager of the grooming department....but from the attitude I have been getting about my complaints, has only made worse. The other day I was more or less told that it was rude of me to complain. The lady who is training me is sometimes rude to me and condescending! She does however give me praise for following through and not leaving my scheduled time so that I can help her! The grooming area is going through a re org at this time so I came into a disaster! Customers are paying for a clean and healthy environment for their pets and they are getting ripped off! One problem I see is that the groomers are over booked and cannot keep up with cleaning, but some do not clean when they do have the time! Before getting hired I took my dogs to get groomed here but after seeing what goes on I will not be taking my pets to get groomed there until things have changed! I will only say that I am working at a Virginia location. I am not a happy employee at this point and do hope things will change so that I can be happy with working in a clean, safe, environment for the pets. My concern is for the pets! And....over stressed, overworked employees that cannot keep up with important tasks such as cleaning!

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure the grooming area is inspected on a regular basis to assure that the grooming area is getting clean and that the equipment used on the dogs are getting sanitized properly including the kennels. Talk to the manager in charge and implement changes in over booking and cleaning! Before getting hired I took my dogs to get groomed here but after seeing what goes on I will not be taking my pets to get groomed there until things have changed!

Multi year employee

Full Time Store Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNone for full time associates...unless you receive food stamps and housing subsidies from the government. If so than you will probably not lose your benefits due to the low pay and low hours you receive.

ConsWages do not keep up with even a moderate rate of inflation. Upper management is all about rewarding their most profitable managers with trips and bonuses while the hourly employees do all the dirty work at barely above minimum wages. Hours are typical retail..nights, weekends and whenever you are needed. Be prepared to scoop animal poop and deal with customers that want to pay internet prices for goods in the store, which is against policy. Computers are ancient...many still running Windows XP and it's just a matter of time before the system is compromised. The motto should be "profits come first" and everything else is unimportant.

Advice to Senior Management"Take a step outside and see what's shaking in the real world" Get your butts out of the headquarters and do some work in your stores to get in touch with reality. We are not "partners" as you like to claim. A partner shares not only the work but the profits and you- do not pay a wage that encourages experienced people to apply and stay with your company and it will be the undoing of your money machine unless you start rewarding your people properly.

Dirty store and employees hate people

Skokie, IL

I worked at Petco part-time for less than a year

ProsBeing able to see dogs come into the store, talking with customers and getting to know them, learning more about dog food and treats; stuff that is relevant to me as a dog owner.

ConsThe store was too dirty for my tastes; I saw dust bunnies beneath every shelf, and sometimes on the sales floor during operating hours. My store manager grew up in Petco, but it seems like they don't have a proper training program, like they just promote from within without any additional training, besides learning from the person you worked with. The schedule changed every single week, regardless if someone had time off or not. The most important thing for our store were our "numbers" because corporate pressured the store manager to meet an expectation for ratings by customers, which is completely subjective. They don't have a proper system for inventory tracking; and although the employees there are honest, within the first week of me working there, I was able to figure out how anyone working there could be scamming the store. Lastly, I'll say that my store manager had been at the store for about a year, and two of the employees there had been there for like seven years. They completely undermined her at every chance. Not only that, but the store manager knows that they do not like her, a situation that exists because she is not properly trained in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some training in management, from experts who can troubleshoot your particular issues. Stop being reactionary to corporate's pressure, and try to get ahead of their, what I assume to be predictable, expectations of the store. Fire the employees that show insubordination. Conduct monthly staff meetings, rather than a half-hearted conversation with whoever is on-duty at the time.

worst company I've ever worked for!

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWorking with the animals was a great experience and the customers were awesome. Animal lovers typically are just gentler, calmer customers. Not many pros about the company itself.

ConsI have been in retail management for 12 years and I have never worked for a more dysfunctional company. The store manager is a glorified stocker, cashier, warehouse, janitor, you name it. Anything other than managing absolutely no worklife balance! The pay is poor and limited full time positions, so you hire inexperience and expect the world out of them. Turnover is high for a reason. I stayed for 4 years hoping it would get better.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do not live up to your so called values and culture.

Sales Associate

Studio City, CA

I worked at Petco part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking with animals was great.

ConsNot informed enough, kept out of the loop.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote within.

Petco Employee

Cashier (Current Employee)
Oakland Park, FL

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

ProsGet to assist customers in their search for any pet related item or service. Having the opportunity to work with all kinds of animals.

ConsEveryone looks the other way for employees that have worked their for 6+ years. Work load trickles down and gets handed to the employees with the least experience. too many managers and not enough employees(too many indian chiefs and not enough indians)

Advice to Senior Managementdelegate better, and find more employees.

The job is alright, the management is horrible.

Companion Animal Department Manager (Current Employee)
Lake Jackson, TX

I have been working at Petco full-time for less than a year

ProsWho doesn't like being able to work with animals every day?! The customers are usually really nice and receptive to conversation. The discount is very nice, especially if you have several pets. The company itself 'seems' to really care about the animals first and foremost. There is opportunity for fast promotions.

ConsManagement in several stores is horrible. I often find myself asking how such ignorant people were able to coerce themselves into the position they are in. There is no direction, training, or organization in my store. Most of the management staff is lazy, pawning their job off to whoever comes in next. Often times, the animals are stuck dealing with it, whether it be excessive feces in the habitat or a dry water bowl.

Advice to Senior ManagementDistrict managers: Do more in store visits. That seems to be the only time that my store runs the way it should. Make sure that your GM's are properly training their associates. My GM tells our DM that she is... she's not. I've been in the position I am in for 5 months now and I still feel lost. Listen to and respect your associates. I've never worked somewhere that had such a high turn over. TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN! Guide your employees in the right direction through proper training and coaching.

The Man runs everything

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Petco part-time for more than a year

ProsYou get to work with and care for some amazing animals.

ConsEverything comes from corporate. No decisions are allowed to be made at the store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementStore managers should be competent and people driven.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!

Petco Videos

Petco – Why Work for Us?

Improve the lives of pets and their parents. If you have a passion to enhance the bond people have with their pets, PETCO has the career for you. You’ll work in a fun environment with great people who share your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Petco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Petco CEO James M. Myers. All 485 reviews posted anonymously by Petco employees.