Petco

Petco Reviews

Updated Jul 4, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers

James M. Myers

Pros:
  • "Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door"
    in 61 reviews
  • "YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management relies on their "team of experts" to make decisions regarding the animals in the store"
    in 30 reviews
  • "The pay rate was like all retail, low, but working as a bather for minimum wage is obscene"
    in 26 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great coworkers and customers, not so great corporate or pay

Dog Trainer (Current Employee)
    Columbus, OH

ProsCoworkers make it enjoyable
    Play with puppies and watch them mature into polite dogs, much to the owner's amazement
    Can spend slow days playing with the animals in the store
    Pretty easy
    Company's philosophy "Think adoption first"

ConsPoverty wages (even with commissions for dog training sales)
    disorganized
    corporate places impossible benchmarks for smaller stores

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease pay living wages to employees, it will reduce the extreme turnover and lack of skill in the stores.

Lot of scope for improvement to increase the employee morale and productivity

ProsYou can bring pets to the office. Management is changing slowly now and a lot of action happening to improve the company .

Constraining and personal growth is less than what you may expect normally . Lot of scope for improvement to increase the employee morale and productivity

Advice to Senior ManagementLot of scope for improvement to increase the employee morale and culture within the company.

Childish management

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
    Edison, NJ

ProsNot at all busy, not much to actually do, so you get paid to stand around.

Being around animals is always nice, customers are usually nice, and you get to handle small animals.. they're so cute.

ConsChildish management, and by this I mean they do not act professionally nor do they act like they care about their employees. One manager, the head manager, had an amazing schedule... FOR HER... only working during mid-day hours when the store was dead, she never worked weekends, and I only actually saw her twice while working there.

If you end up working at Petco in Edison be prepared to get treated as a child, and talked down to as if you were one.

also be prepared to never actually get trained by anyone, yes there is a computerized training system, but you would be lucky to even get to use it due to the fact that you will just be thrown on register.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Driving me crazy

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
    Lafayette, LA

ProsFun working with animals, schedules are flexible.

ConsLow pay for amount of work, rude and poor management, ridiculous amounts of overstock (stocking is a nightmare), sales associate means any job in the store (very hectic)

Advice to Senior ManagementHold higher standards for management and fix the mins and maxes for deliveries.

Not a great job

Grooming Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsI really enjoy working with the dogs! My job is a bit less tedious than that of the groomers. Getting time off is pretty easy. Training is mostly-on-the job, though you will spend considerable time on Portal the first few days. Most of the time, the environment is fast-paced and high energy, which is good if you (like me) do not like standing still. They are good about working with my schedule, as I attend college full-time.

Cons"Animals Always Come First" while the employees are afterthoughts. It would be nice to make more than minimum wage as a base price for an often physically, and always mentally, demanding job, since GA's do not always make commission which is just 40%. The time spent on Portal is seemingly endless. The courses run together due to the similarity in content and often you will have to take a module you completed/passed again. It's very difficult dealing with the customers, most of the time. Do not apply for this job if you do not have good people skills, an ability to stay cool under pressure, confidence, and the ability to speak up for yourself. Some of the policies can be a little strange, too. The store and salon are understaffed to the point we cannot even answer the phones. We have very unreliable software and the computer crashes upwards of 5 times per day. If you work part time, you can forget about benefits; I was sent literature informing me that my plan would be cancelled along with information on how to sign up for the Affordable Care Act. I wish I could say more, but I am unsure that it would comply with posting guidelines.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an actual pamphlet/handbook about the grooming salon policies to distribute to employees, via email or printed literature. If there is a policy change, revise and redistribute the literature. Also, switch to a different, more reliable software system and actively replace computers. It would be nice to have more than one computer at salons with high traffic.

Adaptable and different.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)
    Tempe, AZ

ProsEngaging retail experience is designed on building relationships. Animal care is involved daily and associates tend to share a passion for their position so long as they aren't required to stay on the register all the time.

ConsPrivately owned company that comes up with many new ideas that aren't always implemented using best practices. Often, a program will be started and within a year or less, that program is obsolete or ineffective. Technology is also outdated and provides a constant barrier between the corporate office, associates and customers.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease budgeted hours.

Out dated

Salon (Current Employee)
    Fort Myers, FL

ProsIll have to think about that

ConsWhy is everything so OUTDATED, ITS LIKE SEVERAL YEARS AGO SOME ONE SAID LETS OPEN A PETCO STORE. THEN AFTER 20 or 30 years they give up on it and just rake in the money without up dating a single thing. The crap they use now is the same stuff that was used when the stores opened

Advice to Senior ManagementNew EQUIPMENT AND TABLES, LESS WATERED DOWN SHAMPOOS NEW WALL COLORS, BEIGE AND DARK BLUE.?

Not the Greatest

Prosupper management is not supportive

ConsPayroll never supports the culture that the company expects for great results.

20 years grooming experience 5 with Petco

Pet Groomer (Current Employee)

ProsNot many....quality and experience dont matter so its easy to get hired. Oh...and no drug test.

ConsManagement does not care about any one under them. Policies and procedures are followed when its convenient. Animals are not checked on hourly. Jobs are threatened regularly if sales ate down. There is no consistsncy from manager to manager, or or from district to district. Groomers get minimum wage if commission is not met.. with no chance of raises. The stores are way understaffed which leads to customer complaints, which inturn leads to jobs being threatened. Store managers make around 50,000 a year, while the other employees make 18,000 if they're lucky. Managers get bonuses when sales are up for the year...except the salon managers. I was very excited to become an employee of Petco. I hoped to move up in the company and truly do some good. HA...I have resigned from salon manager and become very disappointed with this company. There are alot of very talented and wonderful people helping Petco maintain whatever image they have left. Its too bad that cooperate can't show them some appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Not just the stores that are in the big cities doing very well, but those of us in the areas you never want to visit because we're do far out there. We want to feel like we matter and are part of the team!!

Started off great until my eyes opened

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI worked with this company for a little more than 3.5 years total. The first 3 were great. I really enjoyed what I did (Inventory and Pricing Dept. Manager), I enjoyed the people I worked with, the benefits (especially PTO) and, of course, working with the animals was always fun. I got promoted from a cashier position to the manager position within 5 months of employment, and I could see that the company was all about promoting from within. And they initially seemed to be focused on the animals, not only the ones we sell, but also the animals owned by customers and ones up for adoption.

ConsWhere to begin... The pay is horrendous. I make more at my current retail job (starting salary) with significantly less responsibilities than I did as an Inventory Manager with Petco. When I left the inventory position, I made $10.03/hour. My starting salary with my current employer working the stockroom was $11.25. To me, this is unacceptable. The amount of responsibilities that was required of myself and fellow managers when I left was astronomical, and I've heard from friends who currently work with the company that it has only gotten worse. There was never enough time in the week unless you can accept having no personal life. When I transferred to a different location with a smaller volume to get the store back in shape (no pay increase despite further travel) there was always a point in the day (usually at store opening and store closing) where it was just one associate and one manager. Neither one of us could leave the building for our breaks, otherwise it would be just the one person in the store. Incredibly unsafe. We were never given enough hours to arrange the schedule differently either. We weren't allotted an assistant manager, so I helped the general manager with assistant manager tasks so she wouldn't have a mental breakdown due to the pressure upper management placed on her, and then her to us. After taking my last promotion to assistant level at a different location, I realized even moreso how cheap the company is and how much more they care about sales only. The company went in over their heads with taking on the hotels.

Advice to Senior ManagementEspecially in this economy, I completely understand the desire to want us to do more with less. However, there is a breaking point, and that point passed over two years ago. Stop making the promise of you'll "get more hours next year" if sales go up, or if customer satisfaction is exceptional, or if 3 dog training classes are sold weekly, and the list continues, if you won't follow through. Pay your associates, especially your managers, more. Given that your prices are rather high (to the point that with a lot of products offered elsewhere, it was less expensive for me to purchase them elsewhere even with my discount) I think you can afford to quit being so cheap.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!

Petco Videos

Petco – Why Work for Us?

Improve the lives of pets and their parents. If you have a passion to enhance the bond people have with their pets, PETCO has the career for you. You’ll work in a fun environment with great people who share your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Petco reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Petco CEO James M. Myers. All 546 reviews posted anonymously by Petco employees.