Petco

Petco Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers

James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door(in 62 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management relies on their "team of experts" to make decisions regarding the animals in the store(in 31 reviews)

• The pay was minimum wage with no advancement for dog bathers(in 30 reviews)

Overall fun place

Sales Associate (Former Employee) DeKalb, IL

ProsI worked at two different store locations. Although both very different with store practices and pacing, but experiences were good. Exployees cared about each other and there was a lot of camaraderie. If you enjoy with interacting with various types of people, enjoy animals and want to learn new things, it's a good place.

ConsCorporate pushed "add-on" items way too much for my taste. Sometimes a person just wants to buy a bag of dog food and get on with their day and not be asked to buy another dog toy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep team-center focus.

Sales Associate

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) El Centro, CA

ProsCo-workers and Managers are really cool and nice.
    They will work with your schedule and won't treat you low.
    Working with different animals is interesting and fun.
    Interacting with the customers and convincing them to buy a product.
    Always having something to do.
    Pay is good to make a small living, compared to other jobs.
    Store is at perfect location where there are always customers, so it keeps the business running.

ConsMessy Customers, leaving items in other places or leaving their outside trash in the store.
    Irresponsible owners letting their dogs relieve themselves without picking up after them.
    Stubborn customers who aren't easy to cooperate.
    Store would have been a bit better if it was bigger, other than that, it is fine.

Years wasted

Dog Groomer (Current Employee)

ProsPaid time off is nice and the fact they will train you for specialties is nice.

ConsPoor management choices, often promoting people who have been there little time. They see the dollar as the driving factor and will ignore mental or physical well being if it gets in the way. The pay is atrocious and if your a groomer or trainer you will NEVER get a raise. Yes you get higher commission if you do better but when you get to a slow time and you have no dogs to work with they expect you to help talk to customers on the floor and help out without paying you as a floor worker.They expect even new groomer to be able to take the dogs senior groomers take and think the money from commission will make things you can't do doable. If a customer complains even over something that is policy you get written up. Also favoritism is rampant. They will treat some people like gold and others like crap. Vacation can't be taken during July, Nov, or Dec so don't expect to visit home if your from out of town. The training tells you to force sales onto people even if they say no.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people like people. Pay competitively and fix everything listed in cons.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Childish management

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Edison, NJ

ProsNot at all busy, not much to actually do, so you get paid to stand around.

Being around animals is always nice, customers are usually nice, and you get to handle small animals.. they're so cute.

ConsChildish management, and by this I mean they do not act professionally nor do they act like they care about their employees. One manager, the head manager, had an amazing schedule... FOR HER... only working during mid-day hours when the store was dead, she never worked weekends, and I only actually saw her twice while working there.

If you end up working at Petco in Edison be prepared to get treated as a child, and talked down to as if you were one.

also be prepared to never actually get trained by anyone, yes there is a computerized training system, but you would be lucky to even get to use it due to the fact that you will just be thrown on register.

Driving me crazy

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lafayette, LA

ProsFun working with animals, schedules are flexible.

ConsLow pay for amount of work, rude and poor management, ridiculous amounts of overstock (stocking is a nightmare), sales associate means any job in the store (very hectic)

Advice to Senior ManagementHold higher standards for management and fix the mins and maxes for deliveries.

Work here for the awesome employees, but don't depend on the pay at all.

Pet Stylist (Current Employee) Goshen, IN

ProsPeople who work here are generally smart, and compassionate. Greeting people's new puppies and kitties is a pretty awesome perk. I like that the company is about education, so you aren't always selling somebody the most expensive thing, but the one that works the best for their needs. The grooming salon is very good about flexible scheduling and everyone works together and has a lot of fun.

ConsThe pay is crap. Seriously crap. As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise. The company thinks this is fine because you can "commission out" which is when you work yourself into the ground to do enough dogs in a week to beat your hourly pay with the 50% commission they give you. But then it's really only 50 dollars or so more and so not worth all the sweat and stress. They pay NEW and unskilled people on the floor more for walking in the door with their shirts not on backwards than they ever will you after you trained and learned a skill which takes expertise and commitment and is often dangerous, no matter how loyal you are to the company and how many years you stick it out.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the grooming salon RAISES. Holy crap. Where is the incentive to stay at your store, exactly, when after a few years you have enough loyal customers to break off and make more money out of your garage than you do working there? Where is the love when unskilled 18yo cashiers get bigger paychecks than seasoned ADULT and SKILLED workers? How is anyone supposed to live and feed our families on what you pay us?

Corporate Doesn't care

Team Lead (Former Employee) Riverhead, NY

ProsGetting to work with and learn about different animals.

ConsCorporate doesn't care about it's employees or it's animals. They would rather see a profit than treat everyone fairly.

Where is the company going

(Current Employee)

ProsIf you like animals you will like working here. Just know that it is not all fun and games. There is work to do and you will not play with the animals all day long. As most retailers we all have goals and are expected to hit and maintain those goals. The people you work with are for the most part a good group, we all like animals. I have enjoyed every manager and district manager I have ever worked for with petco. It is what comes from above or dictated to the regional managers to drive down to the minions.

ConsNot sure what direction the company is going. Many senior management positions at the corporate office have been filled with out side managers. I have been in the retail field for a very long time and petco has been one of the best retailer I have worked for. As this current year has started I am no longer sure how friendly of a place petco is going to be to work for. Pay is not great for management staff and the raises are worse, but the stress was low. Now I am no longer sure. I worked for a high stress retailer at one time and the pay was great, but like I mentioned it was full of stress and many 60 plus hour work weeks. I liked petco because of the lower stress levels and much more easy going. I fully believe this is about to change dramatically. The regional manager just threatened all the general managers this week with their jobs if the store can not sell at a minimum amount of dog training classes per week and it does not matter what volume store you are. First week will be a verbal, then epn, final epn, then termination for not being able to sell dog training classes in your store. Grooming? do not make budget do not get a bonus this year. I think the stress levels are about to go thru the roof. petco is a profitable company and I see them being around for a long time but is now seems that with weaker than expected sales last year profit and sales are going to trump employee friendly. I see lots of turnover happening in the near future. Customer service is job one, the payroll to accomplish this is not and the tasks have never been reduced. As most retailers you must do more with less, oh we have a time management study to tell you that you are taking to long to do your basic job, you do not need more payroll work smarter, harder and longer and by the way no more payroll. For years we have been told we will get more payroll, what do we get, we get a meeting telling us that we are not doing our jobs properly and if we did we would have plenty of payroll for the store. I do not think anyone in upper management has ever tried working in a store, they are afraid to. Come spend a week, a month with me and you will learn quickly that you can not accomplish anything in the time you allot to accomplish everything and raise the bar for customer service, and I am a very efficient manager. We are not cookie cutter stores, stop treating us like we are. There was a time when the store had plenty of payroll to accomplish task and service, then the bean counters came in and did lots of studies. Yes we need to be profitable and grow sales. But we implement everything in the store that comes down good and bad. But those who work their tail off getting it done are the ones who pay the price in the end and loose wages and salary.

Oh, and stop trying to tie a bonus into the salary you get paid. A bonus is just that, a bonus not a salary. so treat it as such. A bonus is not a guarantee ever as we found out this year. My salary is my salary plain and simple not a salary plus bonus money that may or may not be paid out. I get the joke, we all get the joke in trying to make it seem like we get paid more than we actually do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with it, you are the ones who are keeping the stores from making any real strides and rasising the bar. Yes we have bad managers but we have senior managers that think they can dictate better sales. Show me the money!

Not the Greatest

Prosupper management is not supportive

ConsPayroll never supports the culture that the company expects for great results.

20 years grooming experience 5 with Petco

Pet Groomer (Current Employee)

ProsNot many....quality and experience dont matter so its easy to get hired. Oh...and no drug test.

ConsManagement does not care about any one under them. Policies and procedures are followed when its convenient. Animals are not checked on hourly. Jobs are threatened regularly if sales ate down. There is no consistsncy from manager to manager, or or from district to district. Groomers get minimum wage if commission is not met.. with no chance of raises. The stores are way understaffed which leads to customer complaints, which inturn leads to jobs being threatened. Store managers make around 50,000 a year, while the other employees make 18,000 if they're lucky. Managers get bonuses when sales are up for the year...except the salon managers. I was very excited to become an employee of Petco. I hoped to move up in the company and truly do some good. HA...I have resigned from salon manager and become very disappointed with this company. There are alot of very talented and wonderful people helping Petco maintain whatever image they have left. Its too bad that cooperate can't show them some appreciation.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Not just the stores that are in the big cities doing very well, but those of us in the areas you never want to visit because we're do far out there. We want to feel like we matter and are part of the team!!

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!