Petco

Updated November 24, 2014
2.9

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 68 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees (in 35 reviews)

• As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

My experience with Petco

Former Employee - Dog Trainer
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer

I worked at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Petco was overall a pleasant work environment. They do offer benefits which is great considering I was working part time. There was also room to grow with the company. I went from a sells associate to a dog trainer quickly and they even wanted me to become a manager. I was still in school so I didn't have the flexibility to be a manager.

Cons

The cons have to do with the customers. The location where I worked was a community of somewhat low income. Money was always an issue when providing their pet with the necessary supplies. The company had a rewards program but maybe they could make getting those rewards easier by updating the system to automatically load the reward dollars at checkout.

Keep the team motivated by staying active on the floor and promoting healthy competition.

Two year Employee

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been able to get promoted to assistant manager in under two years. Partly due to the to my hard work and partly because I was liked by upper management.

Cons

Each store is run completely different even though every store is supposed to have the same standards and processes in place.

Take better care of store level employees. You get what you pay for, so if you are paying your associates like high school kids who need a couple extra bucks then that is what you are going to get.

Great company to work for with a great culture

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pet friendly and dress casual work environment

Cons

No issues or concerns to share.

Ok.

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is ok, tim off

Cons

Smelly, long shifts, weekends hours

Try harder

The company has really evolved over the last few years and has gotten much smarter about marketing and advertising.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are dedicated and passionate about pets. Overall leadership cares about their teams, and value input from others.

Cons

Too much time is spent managing up vs. focusing on programs and the business. Poor decisions have led to several rounds of layoffs.

Stop over-complicating everything. Put more resources in to the stores and the customer experience rather than spending so much time/money/resources on over thinking new programs.

Fun, but not well organized

Former Employee - Pet Professional in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Pet Professional in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of animal interaction, easy part-time job, willing to promote quickly based on hard work. They try to pay higher than minimum wage, and for pet lovers who want a discount on food, quality brands are often heavily marked down for employees.

Cons

This is a part time job, the but the people there don't always seem like they're looking for more. The store I worked at had a couple really awesome people, and then a bunch of dregs you had to work harder to make up for. One nasty manager let her position go to her head, but if you worked hard she had nothing to complain about.

Poorly managed environment

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the animals and some of the customers was very rewarding and worthwhile. My coworkers were friendly people, for the most part, who cared about the animals and doing their jobs. My store stayed very busy, which made time move by quickly.

Cons

Leadership was definitely lacking in my store. Our GM was pretty worthless, however the assistant managers provided some guidance and leadership. Company values state that they put animals first, but I often found the way they were housing and caring for the animals was very poor. Cages were overcrowded and it seemed that the management didn't care much at all about animal well being.

Further, I was promised a promotion that my manager never followed through with because he did not want to lose me in my previous role. I was given materials to begin the promotion, but my manager never set up the training.

Focus more on animal care. Allow more room for advancement within the company- don't make promises to employees you don't plan to keep.

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Groomer in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Groomer in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co workers. Loved dealing with the animals.

Cons

The pay is commission based.

Quit talking about other employees behind their backs.

Companion Animal Department Manager

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job isn't inherently difficult, if your AM and GM provide you with the required training. Basically, this job is a team oriented job. CADM is a middle manager in-between the associates and the AM and GM. When I worked at a store that had a great committed team that respected one another this job was awesome, easy and fun. As cheesy as it sounds: a store where the associates work well together means happier customers, who then spend more money in your store and help you achieve your sales goals and get bonuses and rewards.

When I had a dedicated GM we had a low turnover and lots of promotions, raises and recognition of hard working associates. When I started, part-time associates also qualified for benefits and PTO.

Cons

I transferred to a less well run store with less of a team-oriented mindset and the job became miserable. You can get an infinite number of write ups with no real consequences, so associates who showed up late or just didn't do their job well were not punished effectively and therefore continued to misbehave. Also without a manager pulling for you to get the maximum end of your raise range--you will not get it. You will get the minimum legally required raise (if that--yearly raises are done in conjunction with your yearly review. If your manager finds a way to push back your yearly review then your raise will be pushed back as well).

Also PTO and benefits were cut down massively after about a year with the company.

Consider accepting reviews from associates, department managers and assistant managers. I think a little bit of feedback from the lowest levels would help the company greatly.

Great place

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work, especially if you like people who like animals

Cons

Some customers go overboard with their animals. You essentially have to do everything without much instruction. Could use more hands on training.

Give a better overall picture of what you"re trying to accomplish