Petco

Petco Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers

James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door(in 62 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management relies on their "team of experts" to make decisions regarding the animals in the store(in 31 reviews)

• The pay was minimum wage with no advancement for dog bathers(in 30 reviews)

Mostly wonderful

Pet Stylist (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great environment, policies to keep pets and people safe. Managers back up employees if customers get angry over said policies.. Mostly

ConsIt's a high stress job and the pay can be kind of low at times. when new management comes in they can make stupid changes to the already well written polices.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay groomers more than minimum wage. This job is high stress, very physically demanding, has high upkeep cost for equipment and the pay isn't even a livable wage. I know commissioning is idle but not always possible.

The good, bad and ugly

Department Manager (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThey are very passionate about animals. They have great core values and if you find a store that is run properly you can be rewarded with a great yearly bonus.

ConsThey are constantly rolling out "new" ways to engage the customer and methods to track a store/ associate's success or failure. For a experienced sales associate, it gets rather annoying. They have terrible raises for non- salary associates and management, $0.15- $0.25 cents pay raise a year.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate your pay scale for management and full time staff. A quarter raise a year when your evaluations say the person is meeting or exceeding your expections is not going to make the staff want to stick around.

Great job!

Grooming Assistant (Current Employee) Palm Beach Gardens, FL

ProsThe pay is good for me, I love the hours I get, the people here are kind, nice and clean work area, definitely loves animals!

ConsManagement plays favorites, too much drama happens between coworkers, a very judge full work place, slow raises and promotions, very slow working hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe fair with everyone in the workplace, everybody can become friends no matter what. Don't play favorites with the workers.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to learn new skills.

ProsLearned a lot about different animals, very relaxed working environment as long as the work is done the managers do not complain. Associates I worked with were excellent.

ConsThe companies disciplinary policy is very vague. Company bonus and stock programs are average. Health insurance benefits were ok but could be better.

Great company to work for!

Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) Lake Grove, NY

ProsDiscounts, Health Benefits, Raises, Paid Time Off, Plus great chances for advancement! Not to mention the wonderful feeling of caring animals, educating customers and helping find each animals forever home!

ConsAs with any retail position, your experience as an employee depends greatly on the quality of your management and fellow staff members.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to always remember that it is YOUR store. If for any reason you feel like it is failing or your staff isn't efficient stop pointing fingers and self reflect. With the right attitude and training I've had employees on the verge of being fired rise up to be not only my best employees but promoted to management.

HI expectations, limited support

Store Manager (Current Employee) Milwaukee, WI

ProsThe boss leaves you alone for the most part. I'm ok to run my store with limited micromanaging. Customers are generally happier to shop because Petco is a "want" store not a "need" store.

ConsLimited support from corporate. Gives us a million things to do but no payroll, no low wages so when I find a qualified person, I don't have a salary that will make it worth their time. The level of knowledge expected vs. the training is a joke. Penny wise- pound foollish

Advice to Senior Managementstop hand cuffing us to accomplish the tasks you want accomplished.

Lots of Fun for Pet-Lovers

Team Leader (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt is a very good company to work for, Flexible hours, vacation time with enough notice.

ConsVery stressful environment in High Volume stores.

positive

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

Prosbeing around animals helping customers with anything they need its a cool decent part time job if your in college nice friendly staff everyone works together even management is cool.

Consthe pay is pretty low for the amount of work they have you do.

Advice to Senior Managementincrease pay wages

Decent

Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) Bensalem, PA

ProsGood work place. Learned a lot about the animals.

ConsCant get anywhere. If your just looking for a paycheck this is perfect.

Advice to Senior ManagementBias

This retailer does not care about it's people only the bottom line.

General Manager (Current Employee)

ProsYou get to work with and interact with all types of animals.

ConsPoor wages, not enough hours to complete everything that is required, Very poor support from District Management level and above, Very poor training and hiring practices, Severe understaffing in the company in all aspects from the stores to the corporate office.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe quality of people who we are hiring continues to fall. If you just look at this site alone 90% of the reviews are negative. Now you have eliminated 6 month raises for new hires and only give .25 cents to superior hourly performers. Your bonus structure is a joke. Most Assistant Managers working for other retailers make a larger bonus than your Store Managers. Your GM's make on average $10K less than the competition and we are at the bottom 25% of Retail Manager salaries. There once was a time that you justifed the lower salaries because of less stress and better working hours. Not so any longer as you require your GM's to work 50 hours a week and some are forced to work 6 or 7 days a week because they are shorthanded. I am actively looking elsewhere at this time for another job. If I am going to have to endure this much stress then I want to be paid for it.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!