Petco Reviews

Updated September 28, 2014
Updated September 28, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 66 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management expects AMAZING results in ZERO amount of time with ZERO labor hours to give out (in 34 reviews)

• As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Very nice job, granted that working with animals makes you happy

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Lower Level)  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Lower Level) in New York, NY

I worked at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Working closely with animals, and mostly laid back atmosphere, as well as learning new things about animals

Cons

Customers that have no animal knowledge and refuse to learn are tough, and you do need to know your stuff to be able to preform well here

When in a high-stress environment, do not pile more and more tasks onto an employee, and do not micromanage

Worked at four different locations in four cities and two states.

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunity to learn. Lots of training available from everything from nutrition to dog training. Great way to learn about animal needs. New dress code makes working more comfortable.

Cons

pleasantness of experience working here depends greatly on co-workers which varies greatly per store. Also depends on customers at the location. Store standards seem to vary widely based on location also. Dog trainers are forced to wear a shirt that doesn't breathe very well.

More store visits would help each store keep up to standards easier. Updating the technology and making sure departments have what they need is a much needed requirement. More direct praise to lower employees would be good motivation for them, rather than the GMs getting it all. Planograms often look better on paper than in practice - too many products are forced in too small of a space.

Good high school or college part-time job

Former Employee - Companion Animal Specialist  in  Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Specialist in Chico, CA

I worked at Petco part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Animals, easy job, flexible hours

Cons

Pay and pay increases, no pto

Take care of your employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work, great people and management

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier  in  Fargo, ND
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Fargo, ND

I worked at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

The training was very extensive, they made sure you had a basic knowledge of all the animals and products. The people I worked with made working fun and they would always help out, someone even brought me lunch! The management was very understanding and had good things to say, along with ways you could improve. For a corporate company, they really cared about their employees and took time to get to know them. They give raises readily to people that deserve them.

Cons

I'm not much of a customer service lover and some of the customers were very rude and didn't believe I knew what I was saying when I gave them advice due to me just being a cashier. Some people didn't know anything about the animals they purchased and often returned them, not caring what it would do to the animal. We try to give everyone advice and tips to care for their animals, its really up to them if they even listen to the information.

keep doing what you're doing!

Overall good place to work if you find the right store. Especially in grooming.

Current Employee - Pet Groomer
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work with animals. You can get to know clients and co workers really well. Its a good place to get your foot in the door to the pet industry.

Cons

Management is lacking animal knowledge. They care more about sales than the safety of the animals. Grooming training is very lacking. After 12 weeks of training I am expected to meet all sales and productivity goals and turn out the same quality of work as experienced groomers with little guidance. Its tough to get better at your job when no one has the knowledge to give advice.

Stay active in training. Follow up and see if people are where they need to be. Keep staff informed of changes. Educate yourself on the care of animals that are being sold and come into the store.

My Petco is my family

Current Employee - Dog Trainer
    Current Employee - Dog Trainer

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly, family like staff. Managers are always helpful if you are having problems. We all share the same love for animals. As soon as we find someone who needs help and we don't know the answer we find it for them.

Cons

Sometimes there aren't enough people but that's not managements fault they do the best with what they're given. Computer training is needed almost every month

Keep up the good work :)

At Petco, Animals Always Come First. People, not so much.

Current Employee - Customer Advisor
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor

I have been working at Petco part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work with some fantastic people who are passionate about animals and what they do, and as a whole the company is more morally and ethically sound than a lot of places out there. Vet checks are mandatory for any animal that doesn't look up to par, wellness checks are done constantly to make sure everything's alright with the animals, and customers have a large liberty to speak to management if something doesn't look right to them. My store is run by the animal's well being, which is exactly what you want if you're emotionally invested in your stock.

Cons

There is a HUGE disconnect between the corporate mentality and the store level. There are only enough hours in the budget to staff three people per shift (four on weekends) in a gigantic store, and when one is on a mandatory 30 minute (unpaid) lunch break, that leaves two people running the store to get animal maintenance, register, planograms, and customer service covered. Some managers are constantly by the book and use the "well that's how corporate wants it" excuse to avoid thinking at all. Very little flexibility from "how corporate wants it," which changes every two months or so. Trackers, or mandatory pieces of paper that have to be filled out to prove we're doing our job, that focus exclusively on dog food, grooming, and training despite the fact that there are five other departments in the store. Management would rather hire department managers from outside rather than internal promotions (to avoid favoritism?), and most staff know the animal care very well while the managers don't. Lots of trust issues; usually the people being stuck on register are the ones that never get an opportunity to learn about different departments and so cannot give specific advice about common situations that customers come in with. Loud and angry customer behavior is promoted; the louder they yell the more money you should take off of the item. Expired coupons, used and broken returns, and unchecked price matches are all fully supported, with no paper trail or accountability. If you have a cranky customer, you are encouraged to take a few dollars off of their bill to make them happy. This leads to a lot of cheap, cranky customers over time. Couple that with no benefits, part time hours for everyone who isn't a manager, mostly self-taught employees, no internal promotions, and draconian communications from corporate to store level, and you get a place that is fantastic to it's animals, but would be doing better if it treated it's employees like dogs.

Please, get out of the office and remember what it's like for the little people working the shifts in your stores. Also, at Christmas, please omit the "thank you for making us so much money" statement and give us a $5 gift card instead. It will breed less resentment in the people living on part time hours and barely-above-minimum wages during the most stressful season of the year. And most importantly: If you want highly informed, passionate, and qualified employees, act like it.

Some Pet Handling Experience, Mostly Cashiering

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers are so great.

Cons

I do not get enough hours on my schedule.

Awesome place to work if you love animals!

Current Employee - Dog Training Apprentice  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Dog Training Apprentice in Reston, VA

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Unleashed by Petco is a smaller boutique version of Petco. It specializes in more natural foods and products made in the USA. It's smaller than the other Petco stores so it has a slightly more limited selection, but some things that normal Petco stores don't carry. There are also no live animals. They have free puppy play time once a week & dog training classes (for a reasonable fee); standard puppy or adult classes, package deals, & you can tailor a class or time to your specific needs. If you want to be a dog trainer, they pay for your certification! The people who work there genuinely love animals and are friendly and outgoing and the customers are friendly as well. It's just a pleasant environment to work in. I quit the 9-5 thing and now I don't dread going to work, I love it!

Cons

The wages are low - not in comparison to other companies with the same positions, it's just hard to make a living only working there if you're not a manager.

I haven't worked there long so I don't really have any advice for the corporate management yet, but my GM is awesome!

Unleashed is the Place to Work

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been with the company for 3 years now and had to fight for adequate pay, but did get it eventually. Everyone I work with is really friendly and we all get along well. I started out at a regular Petco then transfered to an Unleashed after almost a year. Unleashed is so much better! The only animals you have to worry about are attached to their owners. I get to give treats and work with customers from the moment they walk in the door until they load up their cars. Unleashed fosters a family environment through and through.

Cons

We never have enough payroll hours to cover shifts because dog trainers' time takes away payroll hours. So if a trainer has class, I'm on the sales floor by myself with zero help. General managers are ghosts in the company. When they are scheduled to work, they pretty much spend their entire shift in the office. Such poor examples of leadership. Because Unleashed fosters strong customer service, customers get spoiled by the associates/managers that go too above and beyond. Customers then get demanding because so and so always does it, even if it's not policy. One person will kiss butt to the Nth degree but when you try to enforce the policies, you are the bad guy. Oh and Petco says they are Positive Reinforcement triners, but still they sell shock collars, choke collars and pinch collars. It's repulsive.

Get out of the office and know your policies and procedures.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!