Petco

Updated January 29, 2015
Updated January 29, 2015

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 68 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees (in 35 reviews)

• As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Great people, there is a clear line of sight between team vision and corporate vision. The senior levels of leadership I worked with were all solid, smart, and believe in positioning their employees and the customer in positions to be successful

Cons

Things move a little slow, so you have to stay on top of certain levels of leadership to ensure progress but that is it.

Continue to do what you do, and believe in your people.

Great Company to Work For

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company for part time employees; Flexible schedule, fun, and decent part time pay

Cons

Being Retail, often times high quality candidates were not available... thus some co workers can be unprofessional.

Petco is a rewarding workplace environment

I have been working at Petco

Pros

The company values relationships rather than transactions, which are built by engaging, educating, and getting to know the customers and their pets by name. There is growth potential within the company. This company tried to 'grow' associates so they can be promoted to higher positions within the company.

Cons

It is retail, which has its ups and downs all together.

Leadership is somewhat inconsistent throughout the stores, finding key players is hard, and once you've got them they're hard to keep.

Love the job, wish there was more room for progress.

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Hours and co workers and working with animals.

Cons

Advancement and people not doing their job.

You DMs show favoritism and hire people that can't do their job instead of using hard workers from the store.

Great job, not-so-great pay and extremely limited upward mobility.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you are looking into a career in veterinary science/medicine, this is a great place to start out. Working at Petco will provide you with an (albeit limited) introduction to animal care and nutrition, as well as with basic instruction on the rehabilitation of injured or sick animals. Holding a position at Petco is easy to do as long as you are personable, productively social, and flexible for scheduling purposes. In my experience, those in management positions are fairly well-qualified and know what they are doing. The management team at the location in which I work meshes very well and they typically communicate and work very well together.
    Overall, working at Petco has been a very positive experience--training satisfactorily prepared me for my duties as a sales associate, I get to be around animals all day, and (generally speaking) customers can be pretty fun and interesting to interact with.

Cons

While the job overall is pleasant and gives me no problems, there are plenty of things that Petco could be doing to encourage workers not to seek secondary sources of income or to leave the company altogether. First and foremost, while pay at Petco is consistent with other jobs in retail in my area, pay within individual stores is inconsistent among workers with the same qualifications who come from the same background. Additionally, raises come very few and far between and typically come in negligible amounts that barely affect the employee's net pay.
    Aside from issues with pay, I've found that upward mobility at Petco is extremely limited--there are very few non-management positions available in Petco's stores and the only sales associate that I know to have gotten any sort of promotion in the time that I have been there was not given any additional compensation for said promotion--rather, she was given a different title and slightly-altered job description. Unfortunately, she as well as most of the other sales floor associates feel that recognition alone isn't going to pay the bills!

More positive reinforcement should be used toward new employees--during my first few months I felt extremely uncomfortable approaching my superiors with any problems or questions.
    Additionally, top-performing associates should be informed of opportunities above and beyond the sales associate position.

School Program

Former Employee - Store Associate in Rowland Heights, CA
    Former Employee - Store Associate in Rowland Heights, CA

I worked at Petco part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Free tips on how to care for pets
    -Employee discounts given
    -Recommendations for food and conditioners
    Friendly Manager

Cons

-Extremely boring on slow days
    -The smell of cats and dogs can be overwhelming
    -Heavy traffic in location

Satisfy your customers and add any other improvements

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, GA
    Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, GA

I have been working at Petco

Pros

great place to work if you truly care about pets and pet needs, also a good retail envirroment

Cons

some days are long, others are not. companies concerns over media and protecting the brand can be daunting sometimes but understood,

Great place to work at, just as long as you work hard

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very understanding of non-work related issues dealing with life outside of the business

Cons

You get dull hours where the store can be very slow, weekdays at night specifically, which can make standing on the cash register a task on its own

should be more open to employees who are seeking to advance in their department, whether it be management, or higher pay positions in different stores

"At Petco, money comes first"

Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Harrisburg, PA
    Current Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- animals!
    - ability to decline an animal sale
    - good work envionment

Cons

- uneducated employees
    - corporate rules are not always in best interest of animals or employees
    - no assistance in my department
    - focused more on animal sales than animal care

If you love animals this is the job for you

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pretty laid back place to work.

Cons

Managers are very mean. Treat you like dirt most of the time

Hire qualified managers. Quit showing favoritism to your manager friends. This is a business not a daycare