Petco

Updated November 13, 2014
Updated November 13, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 68 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

• Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for with a great culture

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pet friendly and dress casual work environment

Cons

No issues or concerns to share.

Ok.

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is ok, tim off

Cons

Smelly, long shifts, weekends hours

Try harder

Fun, but not well organized

Former Employee - Pet Professional in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Pet Professional in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of animal interaction, easy part-time job, willing to promote quickly based on hard work. They try to pay higher than minimum wage, and for pet lovers who want a discount on food, quality brands are often heavily marked down for employees.

Cons

This is a part time job, the but the people there don't always seem like they're looking for more. The store I worked at had a couple really awesome people, and then a bunch of dregs you had to work harder to make up for. One nasty manager let her position go to her head, but if you worked hard she had nothing to complain about.

The company has really evolved over the last few years and has gotten much smarter about marketing and advertising.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are dedicated and passionate about pets. Overall leadership cares about their teams, and value input from others.

Cons

Too much time is spent managing up vs. focusing on programs and the business. Poor decisions have led to several rounds of layoffs.

Stop over-complicating everything. Put more resources in to the stores and the customer experience rather than spending so much time/money/resources on over thinking new programs.

Poorly managed environment

Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working with the animals and some of the customers was very rewarding and worthwhile. My coworkers were friendly people, for the most part, who cared about the animals and doing their jobs. My store stayed very busy, which made time move by quickly.

Cons

Leadership was definitely lacking in my store. Our GM was pretty worthless, however the assistant managers provided some guidance and leadership. Company values state that they put animals first, but I often found the way they were housing and caring for the animals was very poor. Cages were overcrowded and it seemed that the management didn't care much at all about animal well being.

Further, I was promised a promotion that my manager never followed through with because he did not want to lose me in my previous role. I was given materials to begin the promotion, but my manager never set up the training.

Focus more on animal care. Allow more room for advancement within the company- don't make promises to employees you don't plan to keep.

Not a bad place to work

Former Employee - Groomer in Waterloo, IA
    Former Employee - Groomer in Waterloo, IA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice co workers. Loved dealing with the animals.

Cons

The pay is commission based.

Quit talking about other employees behind their backs.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager
    Current Employee - Grooming Salon Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for people interested in dog grooming that do not have the time or money to invest in school. Paid training if you are eligible for their pet stylist program, flexible scheduling. Competitive pay for pet stylists and grooming managers, opportunity to make a lot of money if you are driven.

Cons

Bad pay for grooming assistants, no raises, no bonuses, expectations are high for sales, a lot of corporate rules and standards

Require that people in management positions (particularly higher end corporate folks) have experience in every position at store level, especially in the grooming department. Other positions have hard workers as well but the grooming departments must have the most eager and hard working, hands down. They need to be treated and compensated better all around.

Companion Animal Department Manager

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job isn't inherently difficult, if your AM and GM provide you with the required training. Basically, this job is a team oriented job. CADM is a middle manager in-between the associates and the AM and GM. When I worked at a store that had a great committed team that respected one another this job was awesome, easy and fun. As cheesy as it sounds: a store where the associates work well together means happier customers, who then spend more money in your store and help you achieve your sales goals and get bonuses and rewards.

When I had a dedicated GM we had a low turnover and lots of promotions, raises and recognition of hard working associates. When I started, part-time associates also qualified for benefits and PTO.

Cons

I transferred to a less well run store with less of a team-oriented mindset and the job became miserable. You can get an infinite number of write ups with no real consequences, so associates who showed up late or just didn't do their job well were not punished effectively and therefore continued to misbehave. Also without a manager pulling for you to get the maximum end of your raise range--you will not get it. You will get the minimum legally required raise (if that--yearly raises are done in conjunction with your yearly review. If your manager finds a way to push back your yearly review then your raise will be pushed back as well).

Also PTO and benefits were cut down massively after about a year with the company.

Consider accepting reviews from associates, department managers and assistant managers. I think a little bit of feedback from the lowest levels would help the company greatly.

Great place

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work, especially if you like people who like animals

Cons

Some customers go overboard with their animals. You essentially have to do everything without much instruction. Could use more hands on training.

Give a better overall picture of what you"re trying to accomplish

Meh... ok first job.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Extremely flexible part time scheduling. Decently easy to get time off. If you like animals, then you will find a tiny bit of satisfaction working here...

Cons

...but it quickly wears off. The politics of the store are tiring, the store is more often than not disgustingly dirty, and the animals - as much as you'd like to believe they do - do not really "come first"... and neither do you as an employee. You might get lucky and get a GM that gives a crap, but most of you don't. (Three stores' worth of experience...) If you work here as long as I have (5 years), you too will feel souless by the end.

If you really want that "mom and pop" feel, you have to do more than take the uniforms away. Trust your employees to do a good job, and they just might surprise you.