Petco Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.9

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 67 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management expects AMAZING results in ZERO amount of time with ZERO labor hours to give out (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

So much fun

Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in North Riverside, IL
    Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in North Riverside, IL

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-PTO PTO PTO!
    -GOOD HOURS
    -AMAZING STAFF
    -AMAZING CUSTOMERS!!
    As a bather i absolutely love my job washing dog and pups all day

Cons

better pay would be nice...

Dogs made up for the bad experiences with management

Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Front Royal, VA
    Former Employee - Grooming Assistant in Front Royal, VA

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Amazing and rewarding job working with dogs on a daily basis. Loved the feeling of returning a dog to its owner because of the happy reunion. Loved having repeat customers so I could build a relationship with the dog and customer.
    You learn a LOT about dogs!

Cons

Physically demanding. You have to be confident in yourself to get the task done because you will have all types of dogs to work with (ie. aggressive, stubborn, excitable, hyper, etc.).
    Management was horrible.

Spend more time with new hires to make sure they are doing their job right so they can better themselves. I was thrown into my job with very little training and had to learn from my own mistakes. Communication and reliability needs to be worked on.

Corporate culture is fun, pay is terrible, benefits are worse. Growth potential is entirely based on your manager.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Customers are happy. It is great to interact with pets in a corporate environment.

Cons

Below average pay, 1% raises each year for meeting expectations, terrible benefits. You are expected to work well over 40 hours per week and be on call whenever needed. No room for growth unless your leader likes you and is liked within the organization. Very political. Ethics complaints are rarely addressed.

Improve communication within the organization. Adopt a zero tolerance policy with code of ethics violations.

This is a wonderful place to work at if you love animals.

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The co workers are like a small family.

Cons

there aren't really any cons to working at Petco.

Nice place for students to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Beach, CA

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Computer training is decent, but most of it will be from asking questions over time, or owning your own pet.
    Discount is nice, and time off is usually easy to get if you can easily find a replacement.
    Management usually nice and understanding if you are still in school.
    Stores a kept decently clean and level of maintenance depends on the manager.

Cons

All time off is done with paperwork and must be done before the week's schedule is made (usually 2 weeks ahead), else you have to find a person to cover for you.
    The often push events where you ask for donations.
    They are pushing new flash card games to teach associated to better communicate with the customers.

I loved doing what I was hired to do.

Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Vienna, VA
    Former Employee - Customer Advisor in Vienna, VA

I worked at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was hired as a customer adviser, and I found it very enjoyable and fulfilling. The manager who hired me was a spectacular motivator and an extremely hard worker himself. He made you feel appreciated for your hard work as well.

Cons

We were short-staffed and because of that I ended up having to come in at 7:30 a.m. and do all of the animal deep cleans three to five days a week for over ten months straight--I was not able to advise customers and after the manager who hired me was moved to a different store, the other managers were very lazy and not motivators at all. I was doing the brunt of the work while they sat in the office and I was making just over minimum wage.

Compensate your employees better, keep teams that have been working together for long periods of time together, and better screen the people you hire as managers.

Good starter

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

coworkers and managers are nice, nice customers,

Cons

work-life balance, pay is not enough

Good company (Retail Management)

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unless your a district manager or higher they are pretty set on you working only 40 hours even as salary.
    Tons of PTO, even part timers can get PTO.
    Lot's of opportunities in the company. Many current managers aren't very efficient so if you're good material you'll get promoted.
    I don't care to go retail again but if I was going to go back again I would most definitely ask for my job back here instead of another retail establishment.

Cons

Percentage of budget allocated to labor was pretty low. Lots of time wasted as a highly-paid cashier/stock boy because we didn't have the budget to give line-workers more hours and management did it themselves.

More follow-up with individual stores to make sure they are implementing what you want. Also seek (and listen to) feedback. "Got an Idea!", the internal idea submitting system, is pretty much a joke.

Realistic look at retail management.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid vacation time is more than enough. Store culture is family like and enjoyable. Work is typical for a retail establishment.

Cons

Pay not relevant to experience or performance. Unrealistic goals set down for various services. Promotions seem to be given out based on whether or not you are well liked, not based on skill or experience.

Very nice job, granted that working with animals makes you happy

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Lower Level) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Lower Level) in New York, NY

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working closely with animals, and mostly laid back atmosphere, as well as learning new things about animals

Cons

Customers that have no animal knowledge and refuse to learn are tough, and you do need to know your stuff to be able to preform well here

When in a high-stress environment, do not pile more and more tasks onto an employee, and do not micromanage