Petco

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 68 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees (in 35 reviews)

• As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Loved working at Petco

Former Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager
    Former Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

General manager, Asst. Manager,. Loved my job. I loved helping new pet owners and loved the relationship with customers that have been loyal to your location. Working with animals is always a plus.

Cons

When their are issues they should be addressed right away. Dept. Managers that don't follow employers rules. Management socializing with employees.

Listen to the managers when they are aware of problems within the store. Don't allow someone to be let go because of a rule that no one follows. Don't loose and manager that loves their job and has over 8 years dedication.

Fun place to work, less stress than most retail environments

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

It's a lot of fun, and there are few times even salaried managers work over 45 hours which is a plus. Working with animals provides a great stress relief, and there's an ok bonus structure.

Cons

There are very limited hours, most stores run on 3 people at a time and that's on a good day. The pay is a little low, but its much less stressful than almost all of the retail environments I've worked before. They drive dog training a bit much, but the goals aren't unattainable. Movement within the company is slow, but since Petco is growing that is changing

They could stand to pay their employees a bit more and it would reduce the turnover rate and keep loyal employees satisfied.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Hillside, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Hillside, IL

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Passionate about animals, great industry in this hard economy

Cons

lower labor hours available. Tough at times to find long term associates with amount of training and experience required

Continue to evolve

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working for Petco. For all of those animal lovers out there, like me, it is a great place to interact and learn more about them. The management team I work under is amazing also. Any time you get to surround yourself with a wonderful team and animals is a WIN.

Cons

At this point in time there aren't many hours to give up and the pay isn't the greatest. But if you work hard and prove your worth, you will see your hours increase. The other con is that some of the managers are under a lot of stress which leads to micromanagement.

All around great place to work.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Rewards top performers and has a heavy focus on internal promotion. I started with them 13 years ago as a part time stock person. Stays true to the think adoption first philosophy and raises millions every year to support animal welfare groups.

Cons

Too many cut backs to labor, increases to insurance costs, recent cut back to vacation time. Yet still had the money available to purchase fosters & smith.

Don't forget that a happy well compensated workforce will take you places you want to go.

Great learning opportunity for people who genuinely love animals and want to learn retail market.

I have been working at Petco

Pros

You get to learn basic sales, animal care, retail, and customer service.

Cons

Pay isn't the best.

Listen to the people in the stores, some changes made make our jobs so much harder then they have to be.

Great Place To Learn Alot

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lutherville Timonium, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Lutherville Timonium, MD

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You gain an enormous amount of knowledge ,coworkers are a family/team,you get to interact with many animals,room to move up the ladder,very flexible scheduling,employee discount

Cons

Pay could be better,Training could be better,having to end up picking up other peoples slack,not having enough people on the floor to stock or help customers.

Do hands on/visual training also rather than only computer and just listen to your associates ideas.Also,get better equipment.

Fabulous!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Erie, PA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great clientele, great modern environment

Cons

private salon so you must work hard at building a clientele

keep up the great work

Customer Service and Animals

I worked at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to learn and develop customer service and sales experience. Great place to learn about all kinds of animals. Employees are cross trained in the basics of every department. Employees have the ability to receive additional training on specific departments to become a specialist in the department. Most employees are very knowledgeable and have personal experience with all kinds of animals to better help customers.

Cons

the store is usually understaffed

Have at least two employees on the sales floor and one designated cashier at all times with manager as backup sales or cashier.

Job for animal lover and people person

Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Germantown, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Germantown, WI

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great for people who enjoy working with a team to accomplish tasks.Rewarding work with animals, good spot to educate customers about animals.

Cons

Dog food isn't light, and animals need care 365. In my time there, I did not see much room for moving up in the company.