Petco Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
2.9

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 62 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management relies on their "team of experts" to make decisions regarding the animals in the store (in 31 reviews)

• The pay was minimum wage with no advancement for dog bathers (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

It was a good job if you loved animals.

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Petco

Pros

Get to work with small animals and reptiles up close and handle them. Learn how to handle them, care for them, what to to feed them and when to clean them. Paid training, co-workers were like family. Learned to multitask. Got to sometimes work close with the dog trainer. Met some AWESOME people. Pretty decent pay (if you're expecting a few bucks over minimum wage) great place to start for animal career.

Cons

The job was pretty easy if you knew what you were doing and was used to the madness. Be prepared to be on the cash register for atleast 2 years before you can do anything else. Left to fend for yourself first couple of weeks, then you pretty much get used to it. Managers were LAZY. No room for improvement. Always put on the cash register. Managers never satisfied, very nit picky, there was always something wrong. Rude people. Customers always wanting discounts and wanting to use expired coupons, but never wanted to donate to help homeless animals. No help from anybody when the store got busy, if no one comes to your aid when a customer needed something you had to do it yourself. (ie if a customer wanted crickets and you were on the cash register and no one else was available to help you, you had to run like heck and bag them before more customers came to the register!) Manager expected ALL of the animals during morning care to be 100% clean in about an hour, a process which took about 2 and a half hours because there were so many animals and they all had different cleaning processes, plus if you weren't finished before the store opened you had to run back and forth between registers and the animal cages which can get very annoying. We were very short staffed. Hours and scheduling was ridiculous, we had 36 hours one week and 16 the next. Would work you all the way to 39 hours, so never got benefits. Never got time for training, had to come in on your days off for training. Managers always calling and asking you to come in on your days off. (making you feel bad if you didn't) unrealistic expectations had to be met (ie getting a certain section of the store clean and properly stocked, animals had to be cleaned and fed for morning staff, and customers had to be rung up, all before closing time not to mention all of those tasks done by ONE person) Managers had favorite employees, they got to work side by side with management leaving others stuck in the same place day after day with no improvement whatsoever. We had to kiss customers butts big time, if someone threw a hissy fit because they couldn't find their dog food for their oh so precious dog, we had to bend over backwards and go to great lengths just to make them a little less pissed off. Sometimes got put on closing the store and opening early the next morning leaving no time for sleep, or even a life. Sunday's were brutal. Too awful to even talk about, if you got put to work on a Sunday, then your whole week was pretty much ruined.

Don't leave employees who want to improve and learn on the register so much.
    Give atleast two hours a week to each employee to train.
    Help employees more in time of need!

Awesome place to work if you love animals!

Current Employee - Dog Training Apprentice  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Dog Training Apprentice in Reston, VA

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Unleashed by Petco is a smaller boutique version of Petco. It specializes in more natural foods and products made in the USA. It's smaller than the other Petco stores so it has a slightly more limited selection, but some things that normal Petco stores don't carry. There are also no live animals. They have free puppy play time once a week & dog training classes (for a reasonable fee); standard puppy or adult classes, package deals, & you can tailor a class or time to your specific needs. If you want to be a dog trainer, they pay for your certification! The people who work there genuinely love animals and are friendly and outgoing and the customers are friendly as well. It's just a pleasant environment to work in. I quit the 9-5 thing and now I don't dread going to work, I love it!

Cons

The wages are low - not in comparison to other companies with the same positions, it's just hard to make a living only working there if you're not a manager.

I haven't worked there long so I don't really have any advice for the corporate management yet, but my GM is awesome!

Unleashed is the Place to Work

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been with the company for 3 years now and had to fight for adequate pay, but did get it eventually. Everyone I work with is really friendly and we all get along well. I started out at a regular Petco then transfered to an Unleashed after almost a year. Unleashed is so much better! The only animals you have to worry about are attached to their owners. I get to give treats and work with customers from the moment they walk in the door until they load up their cars. Unleashed fosters a family environment through and through.

Cons

We never have enough payroll hours to cover shifts because dog trainers' time takes away payroll hours. So if a trainer has class, I'm on the sales floor by myself with zero help. General managers are ghosts in the company. When they are scheduled to work, they pretty much spend their entire shift in the office. Such poor examples of leadership. Because Unleashed fosters strong customer service, customers get spoiled by the associates/managers that go too above and beyond. Customers then get demanding because so and so always does it, even if it's not policy. One person will kiss butt to the Nth degree but when you try to enforce the policies, you are the bad guy. Oh and Petco says they are Positive Reinforcement triners, but still they sell shock collars, choke collars and pinch collars. It's repulsive.

Get out of the office and know your policies and procedures.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Some Pet Handling Experience, Mostly Cashiering

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers are so great.

Cons

I do not get enough hours on my schedule.

Changes

Former Employee - General Manager  in  West Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in West Melbourne, FL

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Petco has good benefits, good people working for them, and a lot of growth opportunity.

Cons

Petco is changing. I am not really sure if they no what direction they are going in. They make goals, and put policies and procedures in place and make it a big deal for a month or 2 and the all is forgotten. They change there store format quite often. It seems that customers are a little unsure of what each store will stock because of the many variations of store formats.

I would like to see Petco find its identity and stick with it. Many variations only confuse your customers and waste money on R&D.

ipdm

Current Employee - IPDM  in  Bennington, VT
    Current Employee - IPDM in Bennington, VT

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than a year

Pros

everything, friendly, ok pay, fun

Cons

bad work schedule, always short staff

need more help

At Petco, Animals Always Come First. People, not so much.

Current Employee - Customer Advisor
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor

I have been working at Petco part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You get to work with some fantastic people who are passionate about animals and what they do, and as a whole the company is more morally and ethically sound than a lot of places out there. Vet checks are mandatory for any animal that doesn't look up to par, wellness checks are done constantly to make sure everything's alright with the animals, and customers have a large liberty to speak to management if something doesn't look right to them. My store is run by the animal's well being, which is exactly what you want if you're emotionally invested in your stock.

Cons

There is a HUGE disconnect between the corporate mentality and the store level. There are only enough hours in the budget to staff three people per shift (four on weekends) in a gigantic store, and when one is on a mandatory 30 minute (unpaid) lunch break, that leaves two people running the store to get animal maintenance, register, planograms, and customer service covered. Some managers are constantly by the book and use the "well that's how corporate wants it" excuse to avoid thinking at all. Very little flexibility from "how corporate wants it," which changes every two months or so. Trackers, or mandatory pieces of paper that have to be filled out to prove we're doing our job, that focus exclusively on dog food, grooming, and training despite the fact that there are five other departments in the store. Management would rather hire department managers from outside rather than internal promotions (to avoid favoritism?), and most staff know the animal care very well while the managers don't. Lots of trust issues; usually the people being stuck on register are the ones that never get an opportunity to learn about different departments and so cannot give specific advice about common situations that customers come in with. Loud and angry customer behavior is promoted; the louder they yell the more money you should take off of the item. Expired coupons, used and broken returns, and unchecked price matches are all fully supported, with no paper trail or accountability. If you have a cranky customer, you are encouraged to take a few dollars off of their bill to make them happy. This leads to a lot of cheap, cranky customers over time. Couple that with no benefits, part time hours for everyone who isn't a manager, mostly self-taught employees, no internal promotions, and draconian communications from corporate to store level, and you get a place that is fantastic to it's animals, but would be doing better if it treated it's employees like dogs.

Please, get out of the office and remember what it's like for the little people working the shifts in your stores. Also, at Christmas, please omit the "thank you for making us so much money" statement and give us a $5 gift card instead. It will breed less resentment in the people living on part time hours and barely-above-minimum wages during the most stressful season of the year. And most importantly: If you want highly informed, passionate, and qualified employees, act like it.

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Pet Stylist  in  Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Conroe, TX

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, up to date software.

Cons

Salary, management needs improvement. Management needs to manage salon.

Management should be more detail oriented with the grooming salon as to include it in the overall picture of their store.

Bittersweet

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than a year

Pros

I love helping people pick out their new pets, especially kids. The excitement that they have about caring for an animal is contagious. It's the driving force that keeps me learning about animal husbandry. I want to be able to give them all the necessary information they need to be the best pet parent they can be no matter what type of pet they choose!

Cons

There is never enough payroll to get everything done. You're always caught in a catch 22 situation. Customers are not given a decent amount of service. But Petco says that they are trying to become more customer service oriented? How can you do that while simultaneously cutting payroll to the point where we can't have sales floor coverage?! And there is always unnecessary paperwork to keep up with. Some days I have to run the register while doing schedules and organizing my paperwork to file. Talk about multitasking! The salaried managers are worked to death for little pay.

Think about the workload of those that are working in the stores before adding more paperwork or assigning us a massive amount of resets at once. You guys can't possibly think that we can realistically get all of this done while you are steadily cutting our payroll hours.

If you love animals, it's a good place to be

Former Employee - Sales Expert  in  Topsham, ME
    Former Employee - Sales Expert in Topsham, ME

I worked at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Spending time with animals can be fun. Job itself is reasonably lax so long as the pets are taken care of. Staff at my local Petco was very friendly and welcoming of new people into the Petco family

Cons

Wasn't challenging enough. If I was still a teenager, it probably would have been great, but as a family man, I didn't find myself to be properly challenged in this environment. I was quite bored and didn't feel as if I was learning anything.

Improved efforts to get qualified people off the register and on the sales floor where they can truly learn. Otherwise, the job's expectations were reasonable for the pay.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!