Petco

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 68 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees (in 35 reviews)

• As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

eh, it's a job

I worked at Petco

Pros

always hiring people thats about it

Cons

never had enough people working, high turnover rate

care about the employees more than ust the hours they work

Fantastic Employer

Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Birmingham, AL

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Absolutely the best company I've ever worked for! The company truly cares about its employees.

Cons

There really aren't any. It's a great company!

Used to be a great place to work.

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Petco (more than 8 years)

Pros

Company philosophy on pet care, nutrition and welfare.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations with the labor hours allotted. A large store gets enough hours to have 2-3 per shift. That's a manager, a cashier and an aquatics person - now make sure if there are more then 2 people in line a second cashier is called, do carry outs, provide 10 quality service, sell a minimum of 5 dog training classes per week, have inventory reports worked, food and litter stocked daily, do reports, run huddles that connect the other 2 employees working to the brand , play a company sponsored game, deep clean various sections of the store weekly and of course there are the animals and the aquatics maintainance. Make sure all training is completed, hours nessasary to complete is 4% but you are allowed 2% and be on 3 conference calls per week.
    Negative environment if numbers are not met weekly, it doesn't matter if you are positive for the month, it's a "what have you done for me today" environment.
    There is a complete disconnect between senior management and the day to day realities of running a store. They talk about creating happy employees but just keep turning up the expectations until people give up or cut corners. It's one thing to be driven but I am seeing many long term, higher performing managers leave or give up.

Give stores a realistic number of hours to get the job done well. It is really the biggest issue all stores are facing at the moment. Your brand philosophy is great but you just don't support it.

Too many tasks to give good service and take care of animals.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People who really care about their pets are great to deal with.

Cons

The shocking amount of people who do not care about their pets and expect the pet store associate to be qualified to diagnose their sick animal.

More payroll is needed (this is true of most retailers) in order to have stores kept up to standards. Do not expect salaried managers to make up the hours cut from the store just because they're free hours for you. Please have more respect for the great associates you do have and offer them enough hours to want to stay with your company. Stop wasting time and money training new associates and apply that to retaining current and trained associates.

Loved working at Petco

Former Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager
    Former Employee - Inventory and Pricing Department Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

General manager, Asst. Manager,. Loved my job. I loved helping new pet owners and loved the relationship with customers that have been loyal to your location. Working with animals is always a plus.

Cons

When their are issues they should be addressed right away. Dept. Managers that don't follow employers rules. Management socializing with employees.

Listen to the managers when they are aware of problems within the store. Don't allow someone to be let go because of a rule that no one follows. Don't loose and manager that loves their job and has over 8 years dedication.

Leadership is strongly discouraged

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Petco part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice to be around animals if you like them.

Cons

If your a manager, you better like running register.... You will never have a chance to perform proper leadership delegation and follow-up - why? - your on register.

I'm not going to even bother.

Fun place to work, less stress than most retail environments

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

It's a lot of fun, and there are few times even salaried managers work over 45 hours which is a plus. Working with animals provides a great stress relief, and there's an ok bonus structure.

Cons

There are very limited hours, most stores run on 3 people at a time and that's on a good day. The pay is a little low, but its much less stressful than almost all of the retail environments I've worked before. They drive dog training a bit much, but the goals aren't unattainable. Movement within the company is slow, but since Petco is growing that is changing

They could stand to pay their employees a bit more and it would reduce the turnover rate and keep loyal employees satisfied.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love working for Petco. For all of those animal lovers out there, like me, it is a great place to interact and learn more about them. The management team I work under is amazing also. Any time you get to surround yourself with a wonderful team and animals is a WIN.

Cons

At this point in time there aren't many hours to give up and the pay isn't the greatest. But if you work hard and prove your worth, you will see your hours increase. The other con is that some of the managers are under a lot of stress which leads to micromanagement.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Hillside, IL
    Current Employee - General Manager in Hillside, IL

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Passionate about animals, great industry in this hard economy

Cons

lower labor hours available. Tough at times to find long term associates with amount of training and experience required

Continue to evolve

Great learning opportunity for people who genuinely love animals and want to learn retail market.

I have been working at Petco

Pros

You get to learn basic sales, animal care, retail, and customer service.

Cons

Pay isn't the best.

Listen to the people in the stores, some changes made make our jobs so much harder then they have to be.