Petco Reviews

Updated September 16, 2014
2.9

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 62 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management relies on their "team of experts" to make decisions regarding the animals in the store (in 31 reviews)

• The pay was minimum wage with no advancement for dog bathers (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

My Petco is my family

Current Employee - Dog Trainer
    Current Employee - Dog Trainer

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Friendly, family like staff. Managers are always helpful if you are having problems. We all share the same love for animals. As soon as we find someone who needs help and we don't know the answer we find it for them.

Cons

Sometimes there aren't enough people but that's not managements fault they do the best with what they're given. Computer training is needed almost every month

Keep up the good work :)

Some Pet Handling Experience, Mostly Cashiering

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

My coworkers are so great.

Cons

I do not get enough hours on my schedule.

10 years in retail, worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Loved working with the animals. Animal loving customers are much kinder than other other customers in the retail world.

Cons

No worklife balance. District Manager was extremely negative, never seemed to be able to please. Pay was poor, much lower than other retailers, but i could deal with that if treated better. Stayed for 4 years hoping it would get better.

Spend a week trying to run a store. You might get a better idea of how ludicrous some of your ideas are.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Highly political leadership with activist HR department.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If bringing your dog to work is important to you this is a great place to work. Pet specialty is an interesting retail sector to work in.

Cons

Company is struggling to make adjustments to changes in the market place.

Walk the talk with regards to the brand values.

Unleashed is the Place to Work

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager  in  Arlington, VA
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager in Arlington, VA

I have been working at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I've been with the company for 3 years now and had to fight for adequate pay, but did get it eventually. Everyone I work with is really friendly and we all get along well. I started out at a regular Petco then transfered to an Unleashed after almost a year. Unleashed is so much better! The only animals you have to worry about are attached to their owners. I get to give treats and work with customers from the moment they walk in the door until they load up their cars. Unleashed fosters a family environment through and through.

Cons

We never have enough payroll hours to cover shifts because dog trainers' time takes away payroll hours. So if a trainer has class, I'm on the sales floor by myself with zero help. General managers are ghosts in the company. When they are scheduled to work, they pretty much spend their entire shift in the office. Such poor examples of leadership. Because Unleashed fosters strong customer service, customers get spoiled by the associates/managers that go too above and beyond. Customers then get demanding because so and so always does it, even if it's not policy. One person will kiss butt to the Nth degree but when you try to enforce the policies, you are the bad guy. Oh and Petco says they are Positive Reinforcement triners, but still they sell shock collars, choke collars and pinch collars. It's repulsive.

Get out of the office and know your policies and procedures.

Awesome place to work if you love animals!

Current Employee - Dog Training Apprentice  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Dog Training Apprentice in Reston, VA

I have been working at Petco part-time for less than a year

Pros

Unleashed by Petco is a smaller boutique version of Petco. It specializes in more natural foods and products made in the USA. It's smaller than the other Petco stores so it has a slightly more limited selection, but some things that normal Petco stores don't carry. There are also no live animals. They have free puppy play time once a week & dog training classes (for a reasonable fee); standard puppy or adult classes, package deals, & you can tailor a class or time to your specific needs. If you want to be a dog trainer, they pay for your certification! The people who work there genuinely love animals and are friendly and outgoing and the customers are friendly as well. It's just a pleasant environment to work in. I quit the 9-5 thing and now I don't dread going to work, I love it!

Cons

The wages are low - not in comparison to other companies with the same positions, it's just hard to make a living only working there if you're not a manager.

I haven't worked there long so I don't really have any advice for the corporate management yet, but my GM is awesome!

Changes

Former Employee - General Manager  in  West Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in West Melbourne, FL

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Petco has good benefits, good people working for them, and a lot of growth opportunity.

Cons

Petco is changing. I am not really sure if they no what direction they are going in. They make goals, and put policies and procedures in place and make it a big deal for a month or 2 and the all is forgotten. They change there store format quite often. It seems that customers are a little unsure of what each store will stock because of the many variations of store formats.

I would like to see Petco find its identity and stick with it. Many variations only confuse your customers and waste money on R&D.

core business team member

I have been working at Petco for more than 3 years

Pros

the product and the people

Cons

The senior leadership is not focused. When everything is a priority, nothing is a priority. When times got tough, the first thing to go was the employee satisfaction survey......that should have been a sign.

Fun Place to Work

Former Employee - Pet Stylist  in  Conroe, TX
    Former Employee - Pet Stylist in Conroe, TX

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great Benefits, up to date software.

Cons

Salary, management needs improvement. Management needs to manage salon.

Management should be more detail oriented with the grooming salon as to include it in the overall picture of their store.

Exceptionally poor management

Former Employee - Mule  in  Kahului, HI
    Former Employee - Mule in Kahului, HI

I worked at Petco full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great teams at the store level

Cons

Total disconnect from store to corporate. Managers in between are your typical middle managers with little to no concept of how to manage people or their stores. They are just playing their games to get their next promotion or bonus.

Stop with the lies. If you don't eventually give the mule the carrot they either die or quit.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!