Petco Reviews

Updated October 30, 2014
Updated October 30, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 68 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

• Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Running fast going nowhere

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nice people
    Can bring pets to work

Cons

Detached Senior Leadership
    Lack of training
    Bad compensation and benefits

A great job if they trained and hired better managers

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Working with animals. The customers are great because they are animal lovers and generally good people. So are most of the employees.

Cons

They do not give enough labor hours to cover basic animal care plus all the role playing and paperwork they want you to do. Policies and procedures change often, which would be ok if there was a way to find them and print them out. The POS system is old and slow. Not very impressed with management talent.

Customers are nice but management sucks

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers, animals, coworkers. I love helping the customers. My Co workers are pretty nice and ready to help.

Cons

The management doesn't care about their employees and their needs. They don't put animals first. I was horrified about how they took care of the animals and anyone who's not management is unhappy with how everything is. I've only worked for them for two weeks and I'm looking somewhere else. I told them about a job that I was also working and I got so much attitude. The training is horrible they don't train they sit you in front of a computer and it's not consistant. Granted it's pretty easy if you have Cashier experience but they don't care.

Care about your employees maybe the turn over rate wouldn't be so high. You can run a good store if you have happy employees!!

Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

If you like people, retail is the place to work. If you like animals, Petco is the place for you.

Cons

At retail level, Petco pays lower than its competitors and most other retail positions. As a manager, you have an infinite amount of responsibility with little pay and little recognition from Corporate.

Retail stores are ultimately what drives Petco. Associates in corporate, many of which have little responsibility and minimal education are paid double if not triple what retail pays. Also, with retail hours you work weekends and holidays. There is no additional compensation for these scheduled hours. One more point is that the company does not promote from retail to corporate. Trying to get HR to follow up on a possible position is next to impossible.

Grooming salon bather.

Former Employee - Bather in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Bather in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good people, nice to be around animals, great discounts. Some people who worked there were very helpful.

Cons

Lousy pay, Grooming Salon Manager more concerned with grooming lots of dogs and not training.

Pay attention to what the people are doing in Grooming.

At Petco, Animals Always Come First. People, not so much.

Current Employee - Customer Advisor
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor

I have been working at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to work with some fantastic people who are passionate about animals and what they do, and as a whole the company is more morally and ethically sound than a lot of places out there. Vet checks are mandatory for any animal that doesn't look up to par, wellness checks are done constantly to make sure everything's alright with the animals, and customers have a large liberty to speak to management if something doesn't look right to them. My store is run by the animal's well being, which is exactly what you want if you're emotionally invested in your stock.

Cons

There is a HUGE disconnect between the corporate mentality and the store level. There are only enough hours in the budget to staff three people per shift (four on weekends) in a gigantic store, and when one is on a mandatory 30 minute (unpaid) lunch break, that leaves two people running the store to get animal maintenance, register, planograms, and customer service covered. Some managers are constantly by the book and use the "well that's how corporate wants it" excuse to avoid thinking at all. Very little flexibility from "how corporate wants it," which changes every two months or so. Trackers, or mandatory pieces of paper that have to be filled out to prove we're doing our job, that focus exclusively on dog food, grooming, and training despite the fact that there are five other departments in the store. Management would rather hire department managers from outside rather than internal promotions (to avoid favoritism?), and most staff know the animal care very well while the managers don't. Lots of trust issues; usually the people being stuck on register are the ones that never get an opportunity to learn about different departments and so cannot give specific advice about common situations that customers come in with. Loud and angry customer behavior is promoted; the louder they yell the more money you should take off of the item. Expired coupons, used and broken returns, and unchecked price matches are all fully supported, with no paper trail or accountability. If you have a cranky customer, you are encouraged to take a few dollars off of their bill to make them happy. This leads to a lot of cheap, cranky customers over time. Couple that with no benefits, part time hours for everyone who isn't a manager, mostly self-taught employees, no internal promotions, and draconian communications from corporate to store level, and you get a place that is fantastic to it's animals, but would be doing better if it treated it's employees like dogs.

Please, get out of the office and remember what it's like for the little people working the shifts in your stores. Also, at Christmas, please omit the "thank you for making us so much money" statement and give us a $5 gift card instead. It will breed less resentment in the people living on part time hours and barely-above-minimum wages during the most stressful season of the year. And most importantly: If you want highly informed, passionate, and qualified employees, act like it.

Good company (Retail Management)

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unless your a district manager or higher they are pretty set on you working only 40 hours even as salary.
    Tons of PTO, even part timers can get PTO.
    Lot's of opportunities in the company. Many current managers aren't very efficient so if you're good material you'll get promoted.
    I don't care to go retail again but if I was going to go back again I would most definitely ask for my job back here instead of another retail establishment.

Cons

Percentage of budget allocated to labor was pretty low. Lots of time wasted as a highly-paid cashier/stock boy because we didn't have the budget to give line-workers more hours and management did it themselves.

More follow-up with individual stores to make sure they are implementing what you want. Also seek (and listen to) feedback. "Got an Idea!", the internal idea submitting system, is pretty much a joke.

Realistic look at retail management.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Rochester, NY

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid vacation time is more than enough. Store culture is family like and enjoyable. Work is typical for a retail establishment.

Cons

Pay not relevant to experience or performance. Unrealistic goals set down for various services. Promotions seem to be given out based on whether or not you are well liked, not based on skill or experience.

Good high school or college part-time job

Former Employee - Companion Animal Specialist in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Companion Animal Specialist in Chico, CA

I worked at Petco part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Animals, easy job, flexible hours

Cons

Pay and pay increases, no pto

Take care of your employees

Very nice job, granted that working with animals makes you happy

Former Employee - Sales Associate (Lower Level) in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate (Lower Level) in New York, NY

I worked at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working closely with animals, and mostly laid back atmosphere, as well as learning new things about animals

Cons

Customers that have no animal knowledge and refuse to learn are tough, and you do need to know your stuff to be able to preform well here

When in a high-stress environment, do not pile more and more tasks onto an employee, and do not micromanage