Petco

Updated December 20, 2014
Updated December 20, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 68 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • Inexperienced upper management running experienced long term employees (in 35 reviews)

• As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Too many tasks to give good service and take care of animals.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

People who really care about their pets are great to deal with.

Cons

The shocking amount of people who do not care about their pets and expect the pet store associate to be qualified to diagnose their sick animal.

More payroll is needed (this is true of most retailers) in order to have stores kept up to standards. Do not expect salaried managers to make up the hours cut from the store just because they're free hours for you. Please have more respect for the great associates you do have and offer them enough hours to want to stay with your company. Stop wasting time and money training new associates and apply that to retaining current and trained associates.

Not all animals come first

Current Employee - Customer Advisor Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Advisor Specialist

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I work everyday with people who love animals and I get to spread that energy to others by giving them the best not trying to sell a certain product that has no real use to them

Cons

I don't get a break, communication of who is doing what is so up in the air I don't know where I'm suppose to be and the training useless, I learned more on the floor from personal experience of customers and co-workers then I did from the training videos.

People consider Petco employees to be the next best thing to a vet. You need to have a more "this is how you set up a cage or this is what you need for this pet then some vague idea on policy

Two year Employee

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been able to get promoted to assistant manager in under two years. Partly due to the to my hard work and partly because I was liked by upper management.

Cons

Each store is run completely different even though every store is supposed to have the same standards and processes in place.

Take better care of store level employees. You get what you pay for, so if you are paying your associates like high school kids who need a couple extra bucks then that is what you are going to get.

My experience with Petco

Former Employee - Dog Trainer
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer

I worked at Petco part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Petco was overall a pleasant work environment. They do offer benefits which is great considering I was working part time. There was also room to grow with the company. I went from a sells associate to a dog trainer quickly and they even wanted me to become a manager. I was still in school so I didn't have the flexibility to be a manager.

Cons

The cons have to do with the customers. The location where I worked was a community of somewhat low income. Money was always an issue when providing their pet with the necessary supplies. The company had a rewards program but maybe they could make getting those rewards easier by updating the system to automatically load the reward dollars at checkout.

Keep the team motivated by staying active on the floor and promoting healthy competition.

The company has really evolved over the last few years and has gotten much smarter about marketing and advertising.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are dedicated and passionate about pets. Overall leadership cares about their teams, and value input from others.

Cons

Too much time is spent managing up vs. focusing on programs and the business. Poor decisions have led to several rounds of layoffs.

Stop over-complicating everything. Put more resources in to the stores and the customer experience rather than spending so much time/money/resources on over thinking new programs.

Fun, but not well organized

Former Employee - Pet Professional in Mesa, AZ
    Former Employee - Pet Professional in Mesa, AZ

I worked at Petco part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of animal interaction, easy part-time job, willing to promote quickly based on hard work. They try to pay higher than minimum wage, and for pet lovers who want a discount on food, quality brands are often heavily marked down for employees.

Cons

This is a part time job, the but the people there don't always seem like they're looking for more. The store I worked at had a couple really awesome people, and then a bunch of dregs you had to work harder to make up for. One nasty manager let her position go to her head, but if you worked hard she had nothing to complain about.

Companion Animal Department Manager

Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Companion Animal Department Manager in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The job isn't inherently difficult, if your AM and GM provide you with the required training. Basically, this job is a team oriented job. CADM is a middle manager in-between the associates and the AM and GM. When I worked at a store that had a great committed team that respected one another this job was awesome, easy and fun. As cheesy as it sounds: a store where the associates work well together means happier customers, who then spend more money in your store and help you achieve your sales goals and get bonuses and rewards.

When I had a dedicated GM we had a low turnover and lots of promotions, raises and recognition of hard working associates. When I started, part-time associates also qualified for benefits and PTO.

Cons

I transferred to a less well run store with less of a team-oriented mindset and the job became miserable. You can get an infinite number of write ups with no real consequences, so associates who showed up late or just didn't do their job well were not punished effectively and therefore continued to misbehave. Also without a manager pulling for you to get the maximum end of your raise range--you will not get it. You will get the minimum legally required raise (if that--yearly raises are done in conjunction with your yearly review. If your manager finds a way to push back your yearly review then your raise will be pushed back as well).

Also PTO and benefits were cut down massively after about a year with the company.

Consider accepting reviews from associates, department managers and assistant managers. I think a little bit of feedback from the lowest levels would help the company greatly.

Not loyal to long time employees

Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Bringing pets to work is a plus.

Cons

The compensation is well below the median and there is a glass ceiling for most long term employees.

Management was poor, schedule constantly changing, and I didn't receive any break time except 30 minute lunch.

Former Employee - Dog Trainer in River Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Dog Trainer in River Forest, IL

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a ton about animals and got to educate many people, too.

Cons

Inconsistent managers, inconsistent schedules, terrible pay. I made $9.39 after 3 years of working there.

All workers deserve a 30 minute lunch break plus a 10-15 minute break everyday, just as the books say. Plus better raises after so much time working there.

Good Company, not so good in the store

I worked at Petco full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company description, philosophy, and culture is excellent if actually put into practice in the all the stores. The benefit package was good.

Cons

Make the Culture of the company match what really goes on in the stores. It all depends on what store you are at.
    Management has no real HR buffer. So no real open door, other then their District Manager, there is no one to go to when there is a dispute with management. 50 hour schedules required of all Managers, but hourly associates are lucky to get 12hours. Lose of several benefit's recently. Cannot transfer to other stores without a recommendation from your current Store Manager, so if your manager doesn't like you, you could be out of luck and have to just quit.

Go back to basics, get the product on the selves, price it right, show the value, and take care of the customer. Remember if you spend more time doing paperwork then getting the product to the customer, the customer will go somewhere else. Micromanaging through paperwork is not conducive to good customer service.