Petco

www.petco.com
Profile Unclaimed

It depends on who favors you

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Paid time off, benefits are good if you use them (however I don't). You get to work closely with animals and when you learn how to do your job, every thing happens seamlessly.

Cons

Sometimes the management doesn't have a clue, at times you have to fight to get your hours, it's easy to get fired for silly things, the customers are overly demanding.

Be more understanding and proactive. Remember that the people who work for you also have needs just like you

Cashier

I worked at Petco

Pros

Customer's were great. I love working with animals.

Cons

management was terrible. I dont think they care about there employees

Fun place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Petco part-time

Pros

Staff is friendly including the animals
    Relatively easy job once you get the hang of it
    Good pay for someone just looking to make some pocket money
    Usually happy customers

Cons

Very focused on P.A.L.S. rewards, they will write you up if you don't keep up with store average
    You will get customers that want to tell you how to do your job and who criticize the company for the treatment of animals but that happens in any customer service job
    Quite often expect too much out of employees

Former FT Bather/Grooming Assistant. VERY high stress job! Not a job most people should do!!

Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Petco

Pros

Most coworkers were very friendly, patient, and helpful.
    You complete an entire paid 12 week "grooming school" apprenticeship while on the job.
    Scheduling is relatively flexible and customizable.

Cons

Clueless store management who never really understands what goes on in the salon.
    Just above minimum wage for the first 6 months-year or more (depending on how quickly you get through training). This is definitely NOT a minimum wage job.
    Too much pressure to become a groomer. When hired, you are supposed to be a bather for at least a few months so you can get a feel for the job. It is extremely high stress and a lot of people (like me) don't end up liking that. I was thrown into the grooming program after only ONE WEEK of being a bather and ended up quitting because I had no idea what I was getting in to.
    Basically no information about the job is given before you are hired. They say it is an apprenticeship requiring no experience, so you'd think they would be able to tell you a bit about the job. I had absolutely no clue what I would be doing in the salon until a couple weeks after being hired when I started working in there. It would have been nice to have a basic understanding of my job before starting, and I don't think that's too much to ask for.
    You have to spend $100's on tools and supplies. Again, I was told NOTHING about this before I was hired or during training.
    The tools and supplies that are provided for you by the store are low quality and break often.
    Rude customers.
    Not a lot of structure.
    Hours were EXTREMELY irregular and unpredictable. The only time I had an actual schedule was during the grooming school. You don't ever have the same days off (and sometimes you won't even get your required 2 days off per week) and the hours are sporadic. My manager was easy to work with and was very flexible, so that made it better. If I needed a day off, she would make sure not to schedule me on that day. Or if I needed to come in later than scheduled, I could just not schedule dogs during the hours I wouldn't be in. However, it's hard to plan anything in your life out when one day you're working 8 am-4 pm, then noon- 9 pm the next day, and some other completely different hours the next, and then a whole new schedule for the week after that. Plus, the schedule is usually only made out at most a week in advance.
    Too fast-paced. You are expected to learn everything you need to know to groom dogs safely and efficiently within a very short time frame, and teachers/management will get frustrated with you very quickly if you don't. Even outside of training, bathers and groomers are constantly overloaded with work and there is really no room for error.
    Terrible computer program used for scheduling and customer information. It almost never works properly. IT always says they're working on updating it, but these "updates" never show up.
    Extremely physically demanding. I went home every single day sore and worn out. My ears were always ringing because the constant noise was damaging my hearing and the earmuffs and earplugs they provided really didn't work that well.
    Petco policies say that you have to turn away dogs who bite (they recently decided we can't use muzzles anymore for whatever reason), but nobody ever actually turns any dogs away because they want to make commission. So you are looked down upon if you end up telling a customer you can't groom their dog.
    Management and corporate are constantly pushing you to sell more and get more done in a day, yet they have a strict no overtime policy. It's just not possible to do everything they tell you to.
    Lots of ridiculous policies that are impossible to work with. There's always some new rule or exception, and many of them make no sense when actually applied to the workplace.
    Coworkers get frustrated with you for taking your required 30 minute lunch break. The salon is constantly busy, so it's hard to find a "good" time to take your break, but anytime you think it will be ok to leave for half an hour, it gets busy again. You are also supposed to get three 10 minute breaks throughout the day, but I think in my three months of working there, I maybe got two of those 10 minute breaks ever. Anytime you want to relax for a minute, coworkers will find something for you to do.
    This might just be a personal one that I had a problem with, but one of my coworkers was extremely disrespectful of my time and schedule. I would have bath dogs scheduled to be done within an hour, but because I was a bather, she would make me handle every single walk-in service that came through the door. She would have me do 45 minutes worth of nail trims, then get mad at me when my scheduled dog wasn't done on time. And if I told her I was too busy to do a walk-in service, she would check the dog in under my name, interrupt what I was doing to make me do it, and then tattle on me to the salon manager and tell her I'm not doing my job as a bather. Again, maybe that was just a problem I had with a single coworker, but I felt like, in general as a bather, you do not receive the same amount of respect for your time and schedule as the groomers get.

My advice would be to give ALL new grooming employees plenty of time to get used to the job. This is DEFINITELY not the job for everyone!! Nobody really understands beforehand just how demanding and difficult dog grooming really is, and it is completely unfair to throw them into a program with no information on what they'll be doing. Let them work into it gradually and see if they can handle it before starting them in the grooming school. Also, think about paying more. $8.00/hour is a ridiculously low pay considering all the literal and metaphorical crap bathers have to deal with on a daily basis.

Overworked and underpaid.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I love animals and education and I get to do thaf everyday. I also like the variety.

Cons

I have worked 17 days straight and have even worked a 22 hr shift. There is little to no positive reinforcement from upper management for gping above and beyond.

Practice what you preach, employ an attitude of mentorship rather than dictatorship. When concerns about management are brought to tpur attention, avoid minimizing and "victim blaming"

Aquatics Specialist

Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Aquatics Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Petco part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, Great customers, work with Pets, flexible with work hours. Was very acceptable to cross train in other areas to help promote wider knowledge of products offered. Highs and lows of retail, customer stories about their pets can be up lifting.

Cons

Pay was low, advancement is slow, advancement based on who you know and if your style of management meshed with theirs. Customer service rules always changed, not very consistent with business practices. Very different between each store on how they treated the employees over all.

Set better goals for employees who want to advance. Clear goals that can be achieved, hold mentors and District management directly responsible for following through with expectations and keeping those expectations equal through the company. don't promote to fill the need with someone that is not ready, this only causes short falls and frustrations at store level and with customer base. Get the Vendor programs on board with training the employees and even go so far as to have a training manager that goes to all stores to help employees to be better able to engage the customers with proper knowledge of new products, classes, and up to date techniques for pet care and training.

Good not great

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Ability to run your business to a degree

Cons

Lack of skilled management teams.

Development a more detailed plan to develop talent.

Pretty good

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, being able to work with animals. You have the chance to learn about different animals and different things about dogs and cats.

Cons

The training for management is frustratingly terrible. For salaried managers, when your off your really never off. Too many tasks to do and not enough hours to do it.

Have better training for store management.

Fun place to work, less stress than most retail environments

Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager
    Current Employee - Dog and Cat Department Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

It's a lot of fun, and there are few times even salaried managers work over 45 hours which is a plus. Working with animals provides a great stress relief, and there's an ok bonus structure.

Cons

There are very limited hours, most stores run on 3 people at a time and that's on a good day. The pay is a little low, but its much less stressful than almost all of the retail environments I've worked before. They drive dog training a bit much, but the goals aren't unattainable. Movement within the company is slow, but since Petco is growing that is changing

They could stand to pay their employees a bit more and it would reduce the turnover rate and keep loyal employees satisfied.

I enjoyed working with them

Former Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in San Diego, CA

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working with animals and the staff

Cons

None to speak of maybe more hours in the store

Put more hours into the stores