Petco Reviews

Updated October 19, 2014
2.9

Petco CEO James M. Myers
James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 67 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • As a Groomer or a Bather, you are at minimum wage and will never EVER get a raise (in 34 reviews)

• Upper management expects AMAZING results in ZERO amount of time with ZERO labor hours to give out (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

I'm broke

Current Employee - Inventory Manager in McHenry, IL
    Current Employee - Inventory Manager in McHenry, IL

I have been working at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love animals and I love talking to people about their animals.

Cons

Morale is terrible because we are all underpaid and GM doesn't pull any weight. In a department management position I can barely cover my household expenses with a roommate

compensate your hourly management better

Its a job

I have been working at Petco full-time

Pros

Working with animals. Other than that, I cant say too many positive things about this company.

Cons

Management was contradictory. The general manager was good but everyone under her did not do their jobs correctly. It was rather aggravating.

Great for the animal lover

I worked at Petco full-time (less than an year)

Pros

gaining knowledge of all the animals

Cons

long hours due to salary

10 years in retail, worst company I've ever worked for

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Loved working with the animals. Animal loving customers are much kinder than other other customers in the retail world.

Cons

No worklife balance. District Manager was extremely negative, never seemed to be able to please. Pay was poor, much lower than other retailers, but i could deal with that if treated better. Stayed for 4 years hoping it would get better.

Spend a week trying to run a store. You might get a better idea of how ludicrous some of your ideas are.

This is an OK company to work for.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great vacation time
    Ok pay
    Ok Managers
    Ok location

Cons

Not so great ethics
    Not so good hours

Learn the industry

Great job!

Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Current Employee - Grooming Assistant in Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I have been working at Petco part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good for me, I love the hours I get, the people here are kind, nice and clean work area, definitely loves animals!

Cons

Management plays favorites, too much drama happens between coworkers, a very judge full work place, slow raises and promotions, very slow working hours.

Be fair with everyone in the workplace, everybody can become friends no matter what. Don't play favorites with the workers.

Exceptionally poor management

Former Employee - Mule in Kahului, HI
    Former Employee - Mule in Kahului, HI

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great teams at the store level

Cons

Total disconnect from store to corporate. Managers in between are your typical middle managers with little to no concept of how to manage people or their stores. They are just playing their games to get their next promotion or bonus.

Stop with the lies. If you don't eventually give the mule the carrot they either die or quit.

I felt like I should kill myself after the interview

I have been working at Petco

Pros

Might pay a bill but I doubt it at 20 hrs a week

Cons

Have a bachelor's degree in Animal science and a small animal nutrition degree. Am a disabled veteran. Still was only offered 8.25

Pay people what they are worth. You get what you pay for . Take better care of Veterans they took care of you

A lot of improvement is needed

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Petco (more than 8 years)

Pros

Basic education is good. Employee discount is decent. Customer interaction can be wonderful.

Cons

Never enough budgeted hours for the amount of daily tasks expected to be executed. Company is far too top heavy resulting in poor pay for associates. Too frequently new programs roll out or change, leaving little opportunity to execute properly. Corporate only cares about the bottom line. All higher ups are hired from outside with no experience, so every couple of years its like political parties changing house. All technical support is outsourced and you have to argue with them to get anything fixed. No matter your time with the company, you're always insignificant. I personally was screwed over by my DM because she was new and I didn't fit into her cookie cutter.

Cut the fat with the excessive amount of VPs that do nothing but roll out ridiculous and wasteful programs. Increase pay and hours across the board so associates don't have to look for new opportunities. Support management in growing themselves through education instead of punishing them.

Creative Department

I worked at Petco full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros – As the non-executive level, almost all the people on your team are great and sincerely want to create good work. You’ll most likely end up becoming good friends with each other.

The environment is pro-pets and pet-friendly and if you don’t have a pet when you start, you probably will within a few months.

If you enjoy working a ton of hours without ever getting proper support or recognition for your efforts, you’ve found your dream job. Like that? I’m going straight to the cons now.

Cons

Cons –
    As said by almost anyone else who has reviewed their time in the NSC the company is insanely top heavy. Too many cooks in the kitchen are indeed ruining the company direction and vision.

Despite having many upper level executives, there is absolutely no trust from CEO level leaders in these people being able to make any decisions or do their jobs. So you end up with a horribly ineffective mix of VPs trying to read the minds of their bosses while not being empowered in any way. This trickles down to all levels, resulting in an environment of distrust, finger-pointing and blaming as each associate or department tries to pin the blame for projects not following direction -or more precisely total lack of agreed upon direction - on the next person or team down in the food chain.

The lack of respect and support given to associates has created an ugly, detrimental environment that eventually kills your passion for your work.

While many VPS and directors are spending their time schmoozing, lower level associates are doing massive amounts of work with minimal direction or input from their out of touch bosses. Expect to be doing the job of two or more people your whole time at Petco. Career development or advancement in the advertising and creative departments specifically is a total joke. While spending hundreds of thousands on yearly rebranding efforts, their only attempt to save money entails laying off longtime employees to replace with more entry level positions.

On that note, if you’re a female who has or are planning on having children – watch out. It's definitely a boy's club around there. The first positions to be eliminated ever so conveniently seem to be moms, and recently a rash of them who were on maternity leave or had just shortly returned from them. That alone speaks volumes to upper management's level of ethics and how much years of loyalty and hard work are not respected.

Bottom line is if you absolutely need a job, this one will teach you just how bad a corporate environment can be run while paying enough to let you survive. It looks good on a resume and you’ll pull in decent enough income while looking for a career somewhere that will respect you and your talents.

Advice to senior management – Fire yourselves.