Petco Reviews

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. Terrible culture

Pros

Control over the tanks - I got to make sure that the fish were healthy when I was working.

Cons

Petco's Policies - Stupid, long trainings that don't teach you anything, and don't help the health of the animals.

Advice to Management

Let aquarists do the aquatics work. They know better than corporate sometimes.

2. Dog Groomer

Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Pet Groomer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with animals.

Cons

Coupons come out of your commission, you have to take mindless online courses and basically deal with a company run by an inept, greedy ceo.

Advice to Management

complete anarchy

3. Dog Trainer

Current Employee - Dog Trainer
    Current Employee - Dog Trainer

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They give you pretty good control over your department. They let you be creative and run your classes tailored to your students needs as long as it stays within the positive reinforcement guidelines. Great training program that actually works and is sponsored by the AKC. You will routinely see satisfied customers who bring home well mannered dogs. You get paid more than regular associates and get commission for each class sold.

Cons

Most likely underpaid but not bad at all considering it is retail. Having to work on sales floor about half the time is a pain when you need to call clients, write out calendars, and generally manage the dog training program in the store.

Advice to Management

Allow the trainers to work solely on dog training. I understand the store needs backup cashiers, help with customers, and help with stocking. But let that be minimal and not half of the work being done by the trainers. My only complaint.

5. It is a warehouse, a big warehouse

Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Braselton, GA
    Former Employee - Warehouse Worker in Braselton, GA

I worked at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Starting celery is $10/hr and then the celery works up to $12 within a year, it is pleasant in the Fall through Spring; and there are nice Partners working here. I would rec' working here because $12/hr is better than no dollars per hour, plus there is phenomenal PTO (18 days) and a 5min clock-in grace (but do not abuse it).

Cons

It is hot in the Summer; the hours are seasonal; metrics based; complacency; "it is what it is"-itis, and there is always something to do, but something else always makes it more difficult than it has to be.

Advice to Management

Follow the advice of Chauncey Gardiner and you can never go wrong. Pick the weeds as you go, then you will have a nice lawn. If you don't, then you have a lawn of weeds. Chauncey Gardiner is either taking about maintaining a lawn, or about dealing with issues as they arise so that they do not become overwhelming, but that is the beauty of Chance the Gardener., no one ever knows.

6. Good company but like most has some weak spots

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Most stores pride themselves on excellent customer service by training employees. Good opportunities to advance and move around within the company. They do have a majority of high quality products and at competitive prices and will price match within reason.

Cons

Pay can be a little lower than some comparable jobs, and yearly raises are a joke. If you can have a lot of pressure to hit metrics, no matter if they are attainable or not.

Advice to Management

Be ready to run a lean and efficient store, because that is how you are budgeted from the corporate office. Other than that it's the same as any other business trying to stay competitive in these difficult times.

7. Petco Review

Current Employee - Sales Clerk/Cashier in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Clerk/Cashier in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of dogs, you get a hand in the lives of peoples animals and are a trusted source of information. You get to learn a lot while working there. im not sure if this is true in most stores but the wonderful thing about petco is that no matter what is going on in the store, we actually have some great teams who are moving the store foreword and keeping the place together. despite unruly customers, and especially when the elevator breaks down.

Cons

outdated systems, our registers are still running windows 95! I think thats shameful for such a large corporation (there are rumors of an upgrade though), pay is relatively low. both my store manager and general managers got sent to other stores which made it difficult for the team to remain teamly. we are being prank called constantly and theres nothing we can really do about it. i've seen managers get in trouble for following protocol just because a customer wrote to corporate who truly believes that the customer is always right. You must wear solid colors only, I work in a pet store and cant wear stripes, polka dots, or plaid... and our elevator breaks down monthly,often with someone stuck inside.

Advice to Management

have huddles, cultivate your team, play whole'd em, lets get upgraded and push for better technology.

I would hate to be one of my employees

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Petco full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The opportunity to engage customers, work with companion animals, work with excellent team members out in the field (stores).

Cons

Unrealistic expectations given labor models provided. Transition into hard sales for services without the resources to succeed. Exceptionally poor wages for non management positions (unless you are a groomer) for the caliper associates they expect to attract. Excessive amount of red tape and policies to the extent that it hinders daily productivity.

Advice to Management

Whatever you all are smoking, snorting or drinking please share it with the rest of the company.

9. associate

Current Employee - Cashier in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Cashier in Kent, WA

I have been working at Petco part-time (More than a year)

Pros

the atmosphere is nice the store is cleaner than most private pet stores

Cons

only pt unless your a manager hard to care for animals and clean and help customers at the same time

Advice to Management

give more hours so there are enough people to complete all tasks and help customers and care for the animals properly

Awful

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braselton, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Braselton, GA

Pros

It's none only if you like low pay and 100+ in the summer

Cons

Pay is not worth it, Everything upper management lies, hot

11. Grooming salon

Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Lewiston, ID
    Former Employee - Dog Groomer in Lewiston, ID

I worked at Petco part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Okay benefits Being around dogs As a groomer you make decent money, it really depends on how hard you're willing to work, since you make commission

Cons

Very little control over your schedule They constantly change protocol and rules They expect you to be a pushy sales person

Advice to Management

Be more appreciative of how difficult grooming can be. Allow your employees some control over their schedules.

RSS Feed </> Embed