Petco

Petco Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Apr 25, 2014

Petco CEO James M. Myers

James M. Myers

Pros
  • Working with animals is the best part of the job, there's always something new walking through the door (in 62 reviews)

• YOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management relies on their "team of experts" to make decisions regarding the animals in the store (in 31 reviews)

• The pay was minimum wage with no advancement for dog bathers (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights
38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

I really enjoyed working for this company because of the people I worked with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThey did a great job with creating culture and fostering engagement. I consider myself lucky to have been able to work with talented individuals and leaders; the people I worked with at NSC and in the Field is what I enjoyed the most. Opportunities are available to those who prove they want it and can successfully execute. Petco is about performance and the bottom line, just like any other company.

ConsI think it is the same challenges would you have at any company - needing to be more resourceful, innovative to do more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood leadership while I was there. Really enjoyed and appreciated team building events. Continue to stay connected with the everyone throughout the org, and continue to be sensitive to those impacted by job relocation to San Antonio.

Company is going downhill

Network Engineer (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI could bring my dogs to work. Most of the people with whom I worked on a daily basis were great people.

ConsToo much middle and upper management, far too many Vice Presidents.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere seemed to be too much focus on advancing to the VP level and far too many new hires were brought in as VPs creating a "too many chiefs" atmosphere.

sales associate

Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee) El Cajon, CA

Prosdiscount, great for retail work if you love animals, chance to learn cash register and customer service. work around school schedule.

Consretail hours, min. wage pay, you will go home smelling like animals. Cleaning out the hamster cages or birds flying out the cage while cleaning.

Advice to Senior Managementtry to maintain a regular work schedule

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CRM

CRM (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsYOu get to bring your pets to work, most people were really nice

Consthey pay bad initially. benefits are expensive

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to you employees more

Not the best career choice

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros1. Bring your pets to office (if you have any).
    2. Yearly bonus.
    3. Good offer signing bonus.
    4. Good relocation benefits.
    5. Looks good on your resume/CV.

ConsThis company practices (or at least tries) some of the absurd processes and policies in IT. They don't realize that it is not a Software product company but a Retailer. They tend to spend too much on smaller projects which are destined to fail, and then fire employees in the name of cost cutting and to increase profitability. Too much top heavy with Directors, VPs, SVPs and no real Managers present to manage the teams, set expectations and build project roadmaps. Average salary for a location like San Diego. The on-boarding process for new employees is laughable. You will be Micro managed by random people (not your boss or your boss's boss) to such an extent that you may have to prepare your Weekly/Daily/Hourly work roster and present it to them, for no apparent reason, but just because they can ask you to do so. Too much confusion all over the organization and a good amount of time is wasted in figuring out who is supposed to do what and how. Out of bounds finger pointing and favoritism I have ever seen in my career. Everyone wants to know and approve everything and there are just too many meetings on a regular work week, and more than 90% of the meetings yield 0% valuable outcome. Unusually excessive outsourcing, and the outsourcing partners are obligated to perform just the bare minimum which often times is not enough. The company is growing rapidly but people are struggling hard to keep up with the pace. Overall an extremely stressful environment to work in.

Other General Cons are:
    1. No real cafeteria. Only vending machines with frozen burgers.
    2. Old and dated office buildings.
    3. No scope of internal trainings and personal development.
    4. Not very great medical benefits.
    5. Only 4 vacation days on your first year.

Advice to Senior ManagementRevisit the outlook of the company and realize major changes that needs to be done.

Great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat team, very creative, and you can bring your pets to work with you.

ConsMixed messages and direction from management, which makes doing your job a bit hard at times.

Great stepping Stone for college student

Space Management Planner (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsFast- paced, industry trend setting

Consno defined career path for growth

Advice to Senior Managementcollaboration among-st teams in other depts.

Steady company with good people

Lead Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsNice workplace and colleagues are supportive.
    Executives are open and receptive when you have questions

ConsCompetition is increasing in this space, and competitors may hurt the company's long term prospects

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging employees to participate in training and work on a plan to expand our online presence

Enjoyable the first few years, but quickly turned into a negative experience.

Companion Animal Department Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Better pay for hourly associates compared to some retail companies.
    - Flexible schedule
    - Easy but tedious work
    - Paid time off given

Cons- Raises are obsurd. If you're part of the management team, don't expect to earn anything after earning $14 and hour regardless of how long you've been working there.
    - Management may be hired out outside of the company so expect to train a new manager if you're a sales associate.
    - Hours worked may be manipulated to by management in order to not exceed hours for the week.
    - Tedious work and gets boring.
    - Work goes unrecognized.
    - Understaffed
    - Easily become complacent.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire within the company, provide proper raises to the management team instead of giving anything less than $1.00, provide more than enough hours to stores so they won't be understaffed, discontinue the corporate environment that easily makes the associates feel uneasy, close earlier on holidays rather than close one hour earlier, corporate needs to make trips to other locations just as much as they come into the corporate store.

Good but could be great

Merchandising (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Prosbring your pet to work!
    a very profitable co and category
    fun job
    room to grow

Consbelow par health and pharmacy coverage
    building is dirty and outdated
    HR out of India is abysmally bad and just a bad idea in general
    IT out of India doesn't work well either--need on-site people
    Systems (IT) are so old and outdated that current initiatives might bring us to the 1980's
    Time off days are stingy

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your systems and your people.
    Controlling expenses is a good thing but creating an atmosphere of scrimping and scrounging for resources inhibits our ability to achieve greatness.

Worked for Petco? Contribute to the Community!