Petrobras

Be The First To
Add Photos

Petrobras CEO and Director Maria das Graças Silva Foster

Maria das Graças Silva Foster

General conditions for a Chemical technician

Petroleum Chemical Technician (Former Employee)
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

I worked at Petrobras full-time for more than a year

ProsSalary, bonus, environment, training, knowledge acquired.

ConsLess meritocracy, not so transparent in promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more clear with promotions.

Breat place to work with brilliant minds!

I have been working at Petrobras full-time

ProsWork with friends, nice experience in Oil&Gas field and also with managerial information.

ConsSince it's so huge, sometimes it's hard to innovate.

Excellent

Petroleum Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Petrobras full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat salary and great benefits

ConsProfessional growth is a tough path

Conventional Enterprise Systems development.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)

I have been working at Petrobras

ProsPetrobras pays very well his employees and has a lot of extra benefits to complete your salary. Also it treats his emplyees with a lot of respect.

ConsThe H.R. team is not worried about the best fit of the employee with his work area, this causes a great insatisfaction.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe H.R. team has to improve the match between employee's previous work experiences and the current area his actually working.

If you work directly with the core business, Petrobras is one of the best and challenging companies in Brazil

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Petrobras

Pros(i) Most admired company in Brazil; (ii) An excellent policy of employee trainning; (iii) lot of opportunities to grow; (iv) Many crucial unresolved technical problems to address.

Cons(i) Extremely large company; (ii) because of that, decisions are taken too slowly sometimes; (iii) as a public company, sometimes what is the best for company it's not what is implemented.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think the one of the most important issue in Petrobras is its employee allocating process. You have the right people and a lot of opportunities. Try putting the right people on the right job and you will have extraordinary result.

Good place to learn, bad place to rise.

Equipment Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Petrobras

ProsWe have a great source of knowledge here, very good people and colleagues to tutorials. No doubt a good place for those who want to learn.

Petrobras has large oil reserves to explore and new opportunities should arise with the growth of the company, but she only hires Brazilian or naturalized Brazilians by public examinations.
Petrobras also hires other companies that perform services for it. These companies pay better than Petrobras itself and the benefits are almost the same. These companies hire foreigners and in these companies you have a lot of mobility.

ConsUnfortunately the ability of the leaders still leaves much to be desired. If you have the good fortune they sent you to a department with a good leader, congratulations, if not, there are rare the cases of someone getting an internal transfer. It´s common the cases of people asking for dismissal due to poor management and lack of internal mobility. The company has over 50,000 employees with almost no mobility, even if the person is necessary at another position. It will all depend on your boss, and his boss, and his boss, and his boss.

Despite the great effort of the company to develop leadership skills, a gap of 10 years without hiring, and with great stability of the employees who were already in the company at 1990´s created a scenario that should improve the management capacity only in 5 or 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor sure it be difficult to manage a public company so that it has the appearance of a private company. I think it´s very difficult to run the company with so many political influences.
Wages are lower than those companies that are in the market created by itself (Petrobras).

Exposing, Few Wells to drill due to location

Drilling Engineer (Former Employee)
Lagos (Nigeria)

I worked at Petrobras

ProsInternationally recognized, Great in the deep offshore operations

ConsLow package as a local staff outside Brazil, Fewer operations outside Brazil

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Satisfactory

Geologist (Former Employee)

I worked at Petrobras

ProsBetter salary than other companies in the sector. Young staff with a very good attitude in HR department

ConsLimited access to training and equipment to perform your job. Managers unaware of cultural differences and occasionally with aggressive management style. Too many political issues in the background coming from state owned company and national press, that at the end, forced the company to quit the country

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late to give some advice now (the company has just left the country)

Excellent company to work for. Benefits are very good, but career growth not that great.

I have been working at Petrobras

ProsExcellent salary, benefits and profit share program.

ConsTerible career recognition program, no incentive for continuing education.

Nice salary, no motivation

Petroleum Engineer (Current Employee)
Salvador, Bahia (Brazil)

I have been working at Petrobras

Prosgood salary, invest on training

ConsNo recognition, unmotivating, it doesn't seems you grow as a proffessional

Advice to Senior Managementmost people I know doesn't feel realised on working at Petrobras, motivation is something we need. I know so many cases of depressed people here. And it seems that managers are only concerned with little things, but not on the great ones

Worked for Petrobras? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Petrobras reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Petrobras CEO Maria das Graças Silva Foster. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Petrobras employees.