Petroleum Traders Corporation

• Part-time
Employment Status

Reset
Michael B. Himes

1. Petroleum Traders is a company that can offer great opportunity.

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Petroleum Traders is a company that can offer great opportunity. In business we do not ask for handouts – we ask for opportunity so we may create our success; in my opinion this is what Petroleum Traders offers. I have worked at Petroleum Traders for several years now and I enjoy working here and find the industry very intellectually engaging. I believe Fort Wayne is fortunate to have a company like Petroleum Traders headquartered in our city which I would also argue to be one of the most dynamic and interesting places to work in the area; a company with aspects you would normally find in larger cities such as Houston or Chicago but located in Fort Wayne, Indiana. Our CEO and Vice President have built this business from the ground up 36 years ago and they are brilliant business people who are always looking to reward innovation and hard work. Petroleum Traders is consolidated company of about 130 but with a strong presence across the US, shipping on most major pipelines, there is almost unlimited opportunity depending on which department you work in. We are in the petroleum commodity business which is an industry driven by the market and therefore operates at a fast pace. If you are a sharp individual who thrives in a fast paced intellectually engaging environment, and you are willing to work hard then you will enjoy it here – if you do not enjoy a fast pace environment and are not willing to work hard when you are ‘on the clock’ then you may want to look for work elsewhere. We want positive people who are looking to find success in a career. Petroleum Traders is a meritocracy where hard work and tangible success are rewarded.

Cons

Depending on the department you start at here there is a lot to learn coming out the gate so be prepared but know that it will pay off if you are ready to put in the effort. Be ready to never stop learning, have a positive attitude, don’t be afraid to ask questions, follow the rules, strive for success and you will excel here.

Not family oriented

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation (Less than a year)

Pros

They have a Nice building

Cons

Not flexible, under paid and over worked, very strict, and the owner does actually yell at and degrade sales staff on the intercom, very distracting. Everyone is on edge because its stressful so they are always worried about picking apart your work instead of focusing on their own.

Advice to Management

So much to say.. Not enough space

3. Nice Facility, Inappropriate Conduct

Former Employee - Sales in Hell, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Hell, MI

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The facilities are beautiful, and the rooftop garden has won many awards in the local community, as well as having been featured in magazines.

Cons

Inappropriate behavior from the staff - where should I start? How about the music played throughout the building. Professional tunes like K7's "Come Baby Come," and Bel Biv Devoe's "Do Me." Or other gems such as a few select songs from Liz Phair, who loves to sing about sex and throw the f-word around. Really classy for clients, vendors and potential employees to come in and hear songs packed with sexual innuendo and blatant filthy sexual comments as they wait in the lobby. How about the dress code (or lack thereof)? Women coming in with their reproductive parts hanging out. Employees in jeans with holes, two days of stubble on their faces, looking like they've been on a 3-day bender (though you'd have to be an alcoholic to keep from losing your mind). 90% of the employees look like they roll out of bed and roll into the office. It's embarrassing. Or what about the inappropriate behavior from the CEO? Yelling, belittling and cursing at employees. The glass of whiskey that he has sitting on his desk, so he can chug booze all day long while he screams at anyone and everyone. How about the constant increase in sales goals, and the way he would get on the intercom and yell at ALL of us on the sales team, whether we were meeting goals or not. How about the fact that the place is a jobs program for the CEO's family? Half of the people working there are unqualified, but they are rewarded with money. It's worse than ANY soap opera. I worked there just shy of a year, and I was NEVER so thankful to find a new job. I didn't even give notice - I walked out one day at lunch. Employees who DID give notice were rewarded by being fired on the spot - I wanted the last bit of income before I went to work at a local auto plant. Working the assembly line is MUCH less stressful than putting up with this nonsense.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and get some COMPETENT LEADERSHIP.

5. The biggest opportunity around!

Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Regular steady hours, interesting work, cool customers, knowledgable management and, of course, ridiculous earning potential.

Cons

This company requires employees to be devoted, dedicated and at the top of their field at all times. It's not easy for those that want a simple slow paced job.

Advice to Management

Keep this wagon train a rollin'! This career is a true elite opportunity. Parallel job fields would require a PhD.

6. Very Stable Company, Good pay, Demanding Work

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time

Pros

Good pay, good perks, very stable company with good growth potential, Physically very nice work environment, Lots of great coworkers, not boring, plenty of challenges. Lots of seasoned employees, I would estimate the average employee has been here more than 5 years.

Cons

Demanding work environment that is not right for everyone. If you are generally lazy don't bother you will just eventually end up another bad review on this site. Owner is very passionate about the company and he often gets excited and yells about things, so he can take some getting used to. Work environment is fairly chaotic so you have to be able to "change gears" pretty quickly.

Advice to Management

Biggest pet peeve is the owner will make overhead pages for people to call him instead of him taking the time to call them. Owner needs to listen to his employees more and ask them what they think about solving problems, often conversations are very one sided.

7. This is the worst job I have ever had.

Pros

If you get in good with the senior leadership, you can make some decent money. Just as long as you don't mind being treated like dirt.

Cons

The CEO treats everybody like trash. He is constantly yelling and screaming. He calls people on the intercom, instead of speaking to them directly. He will yell at people and belittle them in front of other people. He does not offer any constructive criticism. He just expects you to read his mind, and then yells when you don't do what he wants. Also, he offers a $25 gas gift card to those employees who post positive reviews on websites and then bring him proof of such. So, take the positive reviews with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the president and put the vice president in charge of the company. The VP is the true example of a leader. And stop letting the current president use the place is a jobs program. He hires members of his family just to give them a job, when many of them are not even qualified to work there.

Petroleum Traders Corporation Response

Jul 2, 2015 – Human Resources

As CEO of Petroleum Traders Corporation, I am disappointed to see negative reviews regarding our company. Over the last 37 years I have worked hard to create a company that is considered the "best ... More

HORRIBLE PLACE!!! LOOK ELSEWHERE!!!!

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time

Pros

Hmmmmmmmmmm...... this one is hard....

Cons

Horrible. Completely horrible CEO who lords his power over everyone and knows that in this economy it's not easy to just find another job. Yes, the oil industry is fast paced and stressful, but that's not a reason to treat your employee's like scum. The previous review on here was clearly written by a minion who was asked to write a positive review. DO NOT LISTEN. THIS PLACE IS LITERALLY A DEAD END.

Advice to Management

GET OUT NOW

Active Employee

Pros

Strong, stable, growing company in a fast paced ever-changing work environment. The employees are extremely hard working and the ownership recognizes the hard work put in by the employees. The President is still very much involved in the company, which I feel speaks very highly of his desire to continually grow the business. The company has a nice list of perks for the employees: $50 gas card bi-weekly drawing, Catered lunch once a month, Family zoo trip each summer, Roof top parties after hours (live bands and drinks), Trick of Treat in the office for family members, Fresh turkeys for Thanksgiving, Christmas party, etc.

Cons

It is an ever-changing environment since PTC follow the NYMEX market. It can be a tough adjustment for those whom prefer familiar/conventional over novel. Work load can be large, which does not allow for much down time.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the continued little perks/thank you's that they have recently implemented into the work environment.

A Positively Changing Culture

Current Employee - Marketing Staff in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Staff in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

A recent restructuring of the management team is proving to be an enormous step in a positive direction. Each department now operates with a true leader that has experience doing the jobs that they are managing and teaching to the staff. The Collaborative Management Team promoted a top performing member of sales into a Director of Sales position. The DOS knows what he is doing and is a great teacher who seems to really care about each sales persons success and has taken steps to make it a more positive environment. They also moved long time dispatch manager to a true managerial position. The company caters lunch for the entire office once a month, has multiple fun contests, rooftop garden parties and an unbelievable Christmas party. They are even talking about having a company trip to New Orleans this year. Continual training for each department and a willingness to listen to employees are signs of a company that wants to continue to succeed.

Cons

Being in the oil industry is, and will continue to be stressful due to its fast paced nature.

Advice to Management

Continue improving the structure and continue training your employees throughout their careers.

A fast paced environment with lackluster training.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

Pros

The ability to come in at 7AM was nice and having the office located near a main highway with easy access to the interstate was a good thing. Having weekends off was a great plus, as well. My manager was very accommodating when it came to questions or issues I had, business or personal.

Cons

I believe the lack of effective training and favoritism is what lead me to resign from my position at PTC and accept an offer elsewhere. For me, the pay was decent enough to keep my job, however the department I worked in seemed to not have enough employees to keep it flowing without having heaps of stress. Often times it was a very isolating experience due to other employees being caught up in the own overwhelming work loads to lend help to someone new on the floor. I felt my manager did the best they could in making their team/department function like it should, however within the other employees, you could tell there was a lot of favoritism. I don't believe there is much possibility for personal growth within the company. Most of the positions that someone could work into, is next to impossible due to the senior management being in those positions for so long and not ready to let go of them.

Advice to Management

Send your new hires through more training. Give them less to work on, in the beginning and don't expect them to be able to work as well as those who have been doing the job for 5+years. Be more aware of your employees moral in the workplace. Just because we do our job and not complain doesn't mean we're happy with our employer.

RSS Feed </> Embed