Petroleum Traders Corporation

9 reviews filtered by
3.1
Michael B. Himes

1. Active Employee

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Strong, stable, growing company in a fast paced ever-changing work environment. The employees are extremely hard working and the ownership recognizes the hard work put in by the employees. The President is still very much involved in the company, which I feel speaks very highly of his desire to continually grow the business. The company has a nice list of perks for the employees: $50 gas card bi-weekly drawing, Catered lunch once a month, Family zoo trip each summer, Roof top parties after hours (live bands and drinks), Trick of Treat in the office for family members, Fresh turkeys for Thanksgiving, Christmas party, etc.

Cons

It is an ever-changing environment since PTC follow the NYMEX market. It can be a tough adjustment for those whom prefer familiar/conventional over novel. Work load can be large, which does not allow for much down time.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the continued little perks/thank you's that they have recently implemented into the work environment.

2. A Positively Changing Culture

Current Employee - Marketing Staff in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Marketing Staff in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation

Pros

A recent restructuring of the management team is proving to be an enormous step in a positive direction. Each department now operates with a true leader that has experience doing the jobs that they are managing and teaching to the staff. The Collaborative Management Team promoted a top performing member of sales into a Director of Sales position. The DOS knows what he is doing and is a great teacher who seems to really care about each sales persons success and has taken steps to make it a more positive environment. They also moved long time dispatch manager to a true managerial position. The company caters lunch for the entire office once a month, has multiple fun contests, rooftop garden parties and an unbelievable Christmas party. They are even talking about having a company trip to New Orleans this year. Continual training for each department and a willingness to listen to employees are signs of a company that wants to continue to succeed.

Cons

Being in the oil industry is, and will continue to be stressful due to its fast paced nature.

Advice to Management

Continue improving the structure and continue training your employees throughout their careers.

3. A fast paced environment with lackluster training.

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The ability to come in at 7AM was nice and having the office located near a main highway with easy access to the interstate was a good thing. Having weekends off was a great plus, as well. My manager was very accommodating when it came to questions or issues I had, business or personal.

Cons

I believe the lack of effective training and favoritism is what lead me to resign from my position at PTC and accept an offer elsewhere. For me, the pay was decent enough to keep my job, however the department I worked in seemed to not have enough employees to keep it flowing without having heaps of stress. Often times it was a very isolating experience due to other employees being caught up in the own overwhelming work loads to lend help to someone new on the floor. I felt my manager did the best they could in making their team/department function like it should, however within the other employees, you could tell there was a lot of favoritism. I don't believe there is much possibility for personal growth within the company. Most of the positions that someone could work into, is next to impossible due to the senior management being in those positions for so long and not ready to let go of them.

Advice to Management

Send your new hires through more training. Give them less to work on, in the beginning and don't expect them to be able to work as well as those who have been doing the job for 5+years. Be more aware of your employees moral in the workplace. Just because we do our job and not complain doesn't mean we're happy with our employer.

5. A Message from the Petroleum Traders CEO

Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Chief Executive Officer in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Petroleum Traders Corporation was founded in 1979. We are celebrating 35 years as a successful business.
    Beginning as a startup company and growing through organic growth, today we are a successful marketing company with 3 billion dollars a year in sales. There are over 6,000 fuel distributorships in America and we are listed within the top 12 of those distributorships.

This is a demanding workplace and as such requires exceptional, professional employees. Petroleum Traders rewards long term, experienced staff through high end pay and benefit scales to include a performance bonus system. Years of service is recognized and rewarded in five year increments reaching $10,000 to those employees meeting 25 years of service. Additional perks include fuel cards, dining cards, and special events held outside of work. An internal corporate newsletter recognizes employees for outstanding work, special events, birthdays, anniversaries, and other company highlights.

We currently employ 120 people and our employees who value and enjoy employment with us include:
                                    2 plus years 26
                                    5 plus years 27
                                    10 plus years 29
                                    25 plus years 6

Feel free to call our human resources desk for references to the quality of our employment and investment in staff.

CEO

Cons

The nature of our business, being hostage to derivatives trading, is relentless in its pressure on staff to respond quickly to a constantly changing work environment.

Archaic and Sophomoric

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time

Pros

None that I have found

Cons

Incredibly difficult CEO who sees all things "my way or the highway." There is ZERO strategy or vision for the company and for any projects within. On one day, the CEO says X is the goal, the next day, Z is the goal. No continuity or clarity in ANYTHING.

Advice to Management

Advice to management: you can find a better employer.

Same Ol Same Ol (I know its been said on other reviews, but must be true then)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots to learn, so you can learn a lot about the industry

Cons

Expectations are HIGHLY outrageous! Expect you to learn "everything" in a complicated industry in no time at all (less than 3 weeks)! President does constantly get on intercom and "scold" "Threaten" "(B) !tch" on a daily basis. TONS of favorites...if you are not in the "IN" crowd, you will be on an island. Micro management is HUGE! You MUST clock in and out for EVERY SINGLE STEP YOU TAKE, no matter if it is a 60 trip to your vehicle! You are allowed to take a pi $$ (at least when I was there, but that is probably clocked in/out now too). I guess depending on who you work with/for, any ideas that are yours, are basically no good, not interested in them..and you can only do it their way..(which is the only right way..according to them..him/her). I was stuck into a position that I didn't even apply for....and I found out after I left, 3 people were in and out of that position after approx a weeks time each....mainly because of management/trainer issues. They do exist. It all depends I guess mostly on where you get placed, or what you do. There are some okay departments/positions...but a good portion are HE"LL. Hence the HIGH turnover rate. (So it's not just me, or other people posting reviews). So to have a high turnover rate WHILE you have decent pay, doesnt bode well for the rest of the company.

Advice to Management

Install proper training methods. Allow adequate time for the trainee to develop and come to fruition. Get rid of the "favorites". the mentality at least. Don't hire someone, tell them they can do this or that, and then put them over there or here and expect them to excel instantly! Those expectations are assanign, and shows with your turnover ratio.

Most rewarding job I have ever had!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Wayne, IN

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation

Pros

I am very grateful to have found this position at Petroleum Traders. It is by far the most rewarding job I have ever upheld. In regards to one of the previous reviews about the "yelling", you cannot take it as "counterproductive" because it is definitely NOT meant to be that way. You need to go in with an open mind and learn from your mistakes and take management's feedback and then build on it. If you are a person who takes criticism as a negative, you do not belong at a successful company that strives to offer new challenges to their employees.

Petroleum Traders does expect you to perform at a fast pace and catch on quick, but by expressing the right attitude going in, anyone within the company will be willing to answer any questions you may have. Petroleum Traders is filled with great people that are not afraid to share their knowledge with you and help out in ANY way they can.

Cons

Being that Petroleum Traders lives in a fast paced, fast learning environment it tends to become a little stressful at times, as does any position in a corporate environment. As long as you know how to handle the stress when given to you, you will be just fine. This is advice that can be taken ANYWHERE, not just Petroleum Traders.

A company that is behind the times and operates without a true sales leader.

Former Employee - "Sink Or Swim" IT Really IS the Motto in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - "Sink Or Swim" IT Really IS the Motto in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Petroleum Traders Corporation

Pros

Base pay is ok
    40 hour work week, no overtime is allowed!

Cons

All employees required to use a time clock. Sales trainers have no actual sales experience (all theory), required by management to hand down mandatory call scripts that are severely out-dated to marketing staff for a very canned sales approach. Highly Micromanaged! Minimal interaction with Operations Mgr or the assistant. President and Operations Manager held sales meetings threatening to replace current sales staff in front of newly hired staff on the job less than 2 weeks. Fear based leadership to the extreme. President and Operations Mgr gets on intercom system constantly during the workday threatening the sales staff to sell or else! Employed less than 60 days before mutually discharged by assistant operations manager, watched 3 other new employees get discharged due to not meeting minimum call times/load counts in few weeks before me. My last day with the company I witnessed the longest tenured salesman (20 yrs with company) quit. If you are a sales veteran (5+ years), this is not a good environment to work in. Quite unhealthy mentally and physically.

Advice to Management

Employ trainers that have real world sales experience. Stop firing marketing staff that have been on the job less than 60 days and are just starting to develop rapport with former customers/new prospects. When you give new sales staff 90 days before required load counts and call times are required, actually follow through with what you put down on paper. Provide marketing staff real leads, instead of old customers that stopped doing business with the company and expecting magic to bring them back. Complete overhaul of your sales management processes. The business model is completely disordered and creative destruction could swallow this company up among its competitors if it doesn't make these changes soon. There is a reason why you are constantly having to run employment ads in local newspapers and job search engines every few months.

Sink or swim

I have been working at Petroleum Traders Corporation

Pros

You will learn a lot and be required to produce right away or be let go. I learned more about business in 6 months here than I did in college.

Cons

There is a LOT of yelling that ends up simply being counterproductive and puts the employee on the defensive instead of making them receptive to management's feedback.

Advice to Management

Take a chill pill and be more consistent in your expectations of employees. Remember what you promise to give them.

Petroleum Traders Corporation Photos