Pfizer

3.5
1,179 Reviews

Pfizer President & CEO Ian Read
Ian Read

Pros
  • Depending on your department there may/may not be work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• Pay and benefits and the chance to work with a lot of really incredible people (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes compromised because of the workload of activities (in 34 reviews)

• The company is always reorganizing and job security is moderate (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

73 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good Science Despite Chaos

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I worked at Pfizer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People generally good to wirk with (some exceptions)
    Salary

Cons

organization shake-up = job uncertainty
    Performance Management

No more acquisitions!
    Nurture home grown science as in the 1990's ealry 2000's.
    Selling profitable businesses does not make since. Consumer Health flip-flopping?

statistical programmer

Current Employee - Associate Director in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Associate Director in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible work enviroment. Great place to work. Good benefits and salary. great opportunities to excel in your career.

Cons

Too many organizational changes at too many times. By time you settle in the direction that the orgaination is going, changes happen again.

It is a good scientific experience

I worked at Pfizer

Pros

Excellent scientists, resources and benefits

Cons

The expansions did not bring a positive outcome. No Lessons learned

The pay can't be beat in SECT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and benefits are the absolute best in the area. Like any large, multinational company experiences will vary with department and direct supervisor. The experience of working here really IS what one makes of it.

Cons

Pfizer is a large company, and change comes slowly. Often when change does come, it's the result of the work of a large committee of various departments and the change does not always make sense.

If you enjoy working in a scrappy environment, or working to move a company toward #1, look elsewhere.

Sometimes you just have to make a decision.

A decade of constant turmoil and strife

Current Employee - Senior Principal Scientist in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Scientist in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer

Pros

Generous compensation and benefits, at least as of now (although benefits and compensation are being curtailed). Some talented co-workers and top notch scientists but most of the top talent is leaving because of recent changes.

Cons

No clear direction from Sr. Management. A chaotic environment where urgent projects are cancelled without notice, sites are closed and colleagues relocated yearly, years of work are discarded and each wave of re-organization lowers morale further. Positions are often created, filled and then eliminated within a 6-10 month time frame. Pfizer has a long history of hiring people into sites that close within a week of their start date. The leadership has proven time and again to be completely untrustworthy. Whatever they say, believe the opposite. Beware working for this company.

Read Demming's book "Out of the Crisis" and understand that the current state of Pfizer has little to do with the scientists within R&D and everything to do with the management of R&D. Despite their culpability, the actual management is essentially intact (in fact I'd wager that R&D has move VPs than ever) and cost cutting has been achieved by eliminating the scientists the create value for the organization and its intellectual property. I know of no VP that has created any new value, they only evaluate the value generated by someone else. There is now a mismatch; those who manage value (evaluate it) now outnumber those who create value. It's akin to a factory that has more inspectors than line workers and machinery. Only a few number of products come off the assembly line, but those that do are scrutinized by an army of inspectors who are compensated and rewarded for finding faults. When the business owners complain about the lack of productivity, the inspectors eliminate more line workers and machinery making the problem worse. As such, initiatives like ESI are likely doomed to failure.

very unsupportive environment

Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Groton, CT
    Former Employee - Principal Scientist in Groton, CT

I worked at Pfizer

Pros

pay, projects, cafeteria, parking, coffee bars

Cons

culture, career development, people management, lack of leadership

hire people managers

Terrible job security, layoffs constantly.

Current Employee - Lab Technician in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Lab Technician in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer

Pros

OK pay
    Good paper towels
    Freedom to work at your own pace
    Now I'm just typing to satisfy the 20 word minimum
    Pfizer GROTON is bad. Pfizer anywhere else may be ok

Cons

Not sure how long you'll be there. Pretty much month to month
    Everyone is scared for their jobs
    Somber atmosphere
    Everyone is looking for jobs elsewhere
    Hard work doesnt get noticed by management
    If they're gonna lay you off, they will. It doesn't matter how hard you work

They are given the word that they must cut costs because Pfizer is in serious financial trouble. So one puppet thumps his chest and looks to lay people off below him. But soon enough, the whole campus will be closed. Its just a matter of time, nothing can change it.

Still a mess but on the right track

Current Employee - Senior Director in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Senior Director in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer

Pros

Well-respected, company is moving in the right direction, compensation is very good, really smart people

Cons

Middle-management competency is variable, opportunities sometimes provided to a manager's inner circle, drive to hire external talent without always regarding experienced employees

Ian Read is definitely moving things in the right direction and Pfizer is a company for which I'm proud to work. Competency of middle management needs improvement and while paring down performance review bulkiness is good, I haven't been asked for feedback for my manager through end of year or MEI at all. The Wyeth leadership is typically very good. Those brought in from the outside, however, tend to feel like the inside talent is sub-par and often hire externally for senior positions. While I'm proud to work at Pfizer, have a go-forward position after ESI and am well-paid, I plan to have something lined up after the options and RSUs vest in February and leave the company after 13 years of service.

Good place for college intern

Current Employee - Summer in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - Summer in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer

Pros

I had a wonderful summer at Pfizer, managers are very helpful. Payment is excellent, wish I could come back for work.

Cons

Very relationship oriented company. Not very efficient. Probably one of the reasons is that the company is so huge to manage/

Generally I had a very good experience with Pfizer. I would only suggest management level could offer more opportunities to young people.

wonderful science but poor management and highly unstable....

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New London, CT

I worked at Pfizer

Pros

Top benefits with best science and research access and openness to new technologies. Adequate resources for new projects.

Cons

highly unstable company..constant change in management and the organizational structure. Loss of patents for revenue generating drugs