Pfizer Reviews

Reset
2.3
Pfizer President & CEO Ian Read
Ian Read

Pros
  • Generally work/life balance is good (in 72 reviews)

• They offer good pay and benefits (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can be challenging (in 34 reviews)

• Also job security it not what it used to be (in 35 reviews)

1. I had great experience at Pfizer

Current Contractor - Organic Chemist in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Contractor - Organic Chemist in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Very professional environment, plenty of opportunity to learn new skills, have some very smart people who work for this place

Cons

The food in cafeteria is not that great, it is little bit impersonal place to work at as all big companies are.

Depressing culture, everyone just going through the motions

Current Employee - Formulations Operator in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Formulations Operator in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is good but only if you get overtime. Benefits are generous.

Cons

Lots of disgruntled people with poor outlooks on life. People know that they are stuck in this job for life because no one else in the area pays as well. If you make waves, management will mess with you so it's best to just keep quiet and don't report anything you see. People will not follow SOP and will intentionally cut corners at the risk of product safety. Lots of theft throughout the plant in Kalamazoo. Lock up your belongings.

Advice to Management

Show some integrity. On paper, this would be a great company to work for but the rules only matter if they are enforced.

3. Pfizer has no concern about it's employees or it's products.

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime. Have met some great coworkers who really care about our patients and their wellbeing. Some really inspirational people who do excellent work despite corporate's complete apathy for us and our products.

Cons

Very toxic work environment, some of the worst management I have ever seen. Moral is very low, high stress and constant tension causing a lot of issues with bullying or lack of professionalism. Draconian budget cuts leading the "leaner" workforce to crumple under combined work loads. Constantly lacking the tools to do your job adds to the pressure. Supervision responds to concerns by telling you your job could easily go to Mexico. Pressure to cut corners compromise the overall product quality. This feels like a company on the verge of catastrophe. Most of the blue collar work force is made up of temporary workers with low pay and no benefits hanging on for years hopeing to be hired in. Super high turn over rates mean constant training, total lack of experience, new workers training newer workers. Management happy to reassure you that your totally replaceable. I could go on and write pages and pages.

Advice to Management

Sell our plant if you don't want it. We obviously care more about our products than you do.

5. Low wages

Current Employee - Formulation Op in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Formulation Op in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good vacation package compared to competition.

Cons

Below average wages for non degree oriented workers.

Advice to Management

Pay all employees not just the top 10%.
    Being #1 pharmaceutical company, your compensation packages are that of a bottom tier company!

6. Company treated me very well overall - benefits, pay, etc.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Pfizer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Completely surrounded by tremendous talent! A feeling of doing something good for people!

Cons

WAY TOO CENTRALIZED in their leadership and running the company. Also, Board is too lazy, or too cozy, to take action and get rid of total screwups at the Executive through "C" level positions. Why waste the time and money on a board if their experience, decisiveness and leadership insights are not going to be utilized to protect the shareholders. Case in point - length of time 2 successive previous CEO's to Ian Read were allowed to run company into the ground and the value lost. Shameless!!!

Advice to Management

Establish clear responsibilities for the Board Overwatch responsibilities and tie all of their pay/incentives AND that of the C-Officers to long term improvements, and gains - not short term focus that brings in the constant major bonuses!

7. "Pfizer is a Good Company to Work For."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are better than most companies. There is opportunity for advancement wihin the company with the right skillset. Employees are more than willing to meet demanding deadlines to make sure the customers needs are met.

Cons

With the many layers of management decision making can be slow to get things done. Outsourcing too many jobs to contractors can hurt the company.

8. Pfizer Kalamazoo - what a ride!!!!

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time

Pros

These have been absolutely the best people with whom I have ever worked!!!! There is no challenge too large or unique that they will not take on and just completely "crush it!" - Overachieve

Cons

Leadership - senior level for site andtheir superiors, are out of touch with the shop floor workers and too wrapped up in their egos! No decisions can be decentralized - everything is very much dictated and micro-managed in spite of the massive amounts of talent and creativity at the Site!

Advice to Management

Back off and let your taalented bench play!! Just let them take care of current day-to-day business and you focus on what challenges/opportunities are coming down the road for which we need to begin planning and preparation.

9. Great pay and benefits but management is nepotistic. Image is more important than qualifications.

Current Employee - Quality Chemist in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Quality Chemist in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits. Good work life balance.

Cons

You better be in good with management if you want to be promoted or move around. Integrity and respect have been lost among the management. The promotion requirements are obscure. The company is too large.

10. Overall, a good place to work that is always changing and challenging.

Former Employee - Chemical Operator in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Chemical Operator in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Pfizer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The opportunity for advancement and educational reimbursement program create an atmosphere of ever improving oneself to offer each employee and the company a better future.

Cons

The schedule was very difficult to sustain. At times we were required to work 19 days at a stretch without a day off. We would then be given one day off and return to work the following day. The opportunities for overtime pay were excellent but no time to enjoy life or family.

Advice to Management

Management should be more sensitive to the needs of all employees. Many people have a need or desire to work a lot of overtime while others do not. Have options for employees who would rather work a normal schedule.

For the sane at Pfizer is not the place to be in.
    For the insane at Pfizer, it is a time of your life.

Former Employee - Senior Process Technologist in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Process Technologist in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Pfizer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

High salary and little work

Cons

Reapply for your job every 2-3 year

Advice to Management

Please stay at pfizer, we do not want you in our company.

Showing 22 of 1,400 reviews