Pfizer Reviews

3.6
1,314 Reviews
Pfizer President & CEO Ian Read
Ian Read

Pros
  • Depending on your department there may/may not be work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• Pay and benefits and the chance to work with a lot of really incredible people (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes compromised because of the workload of activities (in 34 reviews)

• The company is always reorganizing and job security is moderate (in 35 reviews)

1. Coordinator

Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator in Collegeville, PA
    Current Employee - Promotions Coordinator in Collegeville, PA

I have been working at Pfizer

Pros

You will find good people but they'll be scared to reveal to you that Collegeville is a step child

Cons

Position description is deceiving and the employees are afraid of loosing their job to you. Department is being phased out. Dead end

Advice to Management

Fight for a budget and stop bleeding your workers to death. Get organized

2. We were taken over by Pfizer so they could by One product, Close the plant and relocate overseas

Former Employee - MAINT Department in Pearl River, NY
    Former Employee - MAINT Department in Pearl River, NY

I worked at Pfizer

Pros

None, nothing positive about the company or culture

Cons

Pfizer bought us for one product and closed our plant to relocate overseas. All this was done while they Made $68 Billion dollars in profit.

Advice to Management

Tell the truth to employees. Its not all about you, your titles and bonuses. Quit destroying peoples lives

3. Good systems ....horrible people

Current Employee - Director IT in Peapack, NJ
    Current Employee - Director IT in Peapack, NJ

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Technically fairly advanced.
    Tries to keep up with the times.
    Pay is competitive.

Cons

Due to the numerous acquisitions and layoffs, people are very insecure. There is a lot of politics. Hard to fit into this culture if you are an outsider.

Advice to Management

Allow more autonomy.
    Give people an opportunity to innovate...else, the only way to build the pipeline through acquisitions.

Don't Get Owned by the OWN IT culture

Current Employee - R&D in Groton, CT
    Current Employee - R&D in Groton, CT

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, ability to work from home.

Organization changes often. If you don't like you're job, it will eventually change.

Cons

No work life/balance - project managers openly state that working nights and weekends are built in to project timeline assumptions.

R&D organization changes so often that no one really knows the expectations of their own role or the roles of others on their team. This results in a lack of accountability.

Advice to Management

Stick with a single org structure long enough to work out all of the kinks before moving on to something new.

Abandon your current outsourcing strategy. It is not working.

Remove the words "Work/Life Balance" from your recruiting and benefits literature. It is a lie.

6. Horrible!

I worked at Pfizer

Pros

Big Pharma, Reputation, Good benefits, Small territories

Cons

Horrible managers
    Terrible unfair treatment
    No raises
    Bullying tatics

Advice to Management

Get in new, nicer managers

7. The Darth Vader of big Pharma.

Former Employee - Engineer in Collegeville, PA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Collegeville, PA

I worked at Pfizer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Some good people there trapped in a vortex of greed and profit mongering. Good severance packages.

Cons

Company focus is growth by acquisition regardless of impact on employees. Unable to innovate and grow organically. At Pfizer it's all about the numbers, headcount, profits etc. Work there was like being trapped in a never ending funeral procession for colleagues being let go. No such thing as job security at Pfizer. Management is a boat load of 60+ yrs old, stuck in the mud gangsters.

Advice to Management

Try innovation. Its the employees that create value..shareholders and the board of directors are in the business of extracting value. Pay your fare share of US taxes or trade your stock in some other market.

8. Pfizer has no concern about it's employees or it's products.

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of overtime. Have met some great coworkers who really care about our patients and their wellbeing. Some really inspirational people who do excellent work despite corporate's complete apathy for us and our products.

Cons

Very toxic work environment, some of the worst management I have ever seen. Moral is very low, high stress and constant tension causing a lot of issues with bullying or lack of professionalism. Draconian budget cuts leading the "leaner" workforce to crumple under combined work loads. Constantly lacking the tools to do your job adds to the pressure. Supervision responds to concerns by telling you your job could easily go to Mexico. Pressure to cut corners compromise the overall product quality. This feels like a company on the verge of catastrophe. Most of the blue collar work force is made up of temporary workers with low pay and no benefits hanging on for years hopeing to be hired in. Super high turn over rates mean constant training, total lack of experience, new workers training newer workers. Management happy to reassure you that your totally replaceable. I could go on and write pages and pages.

Advice to Management

Sell our plant if you don't want it. We obviously care more about our products than you do.

9. Terrible. Treated contract employees very poorly.

Current Employee - Contractor in Portage, MI
    Current Employee - Contractor in Portage, MI

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The work done wasn't particularly challenging. Management was cordial (if unresponsive to concerns). Work environment was generally clean.

Cons

Almost no chance of moving up. Work environment was mind numbingly boring. The only people who stayed long-term were those who couldn't do anything else.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities to grow, hire more full time workers instead of keeping contractors on long-term, and foster a less negative environment.

10. What I expect from corporate America

I have been working at Pfizer full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Will hire people with no work experience or non-relevant work experience.

Cons

Poor compensation, long hours, little room for growth, no promotions.

Advice to Management

Company values are all talk.

Career Disaster - Please stay away!

Former Employee - Business Unit Head
    Former Employee - Business Unit Head

I worked at Pfizer full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Relatively competitive salary + benefits

Cons

No training, high complacency, very negative mindset of colleagues, most capable people have either left or been fired, most employees in higher age bracket and only looking forward to their retirement and benefits. Younger lot strongly discouraged from thinking different.

Advice to Management

Fix the company's culture. For 3 years straight the entire company's feedback is that it is very difficult to 'get things done' at Pfizer; so please take action on it. Fix the broken hypocritical Pfizer value system i.e. they look great on paper but no one practices them.