Pfizer

Pfizer Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jun 24, 2014

Pfizer President & CEO Ian Read

Ian Read

Pros
  • Benefits,Growth opportunities, diversity, supports work life balance, employee gym(in 61 reviews)

• They offer good pay and benefits(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance is sometimes compromised because of the workload of activities(in 27 reviews)

• Dynamic industry does not lend to job security(in 31 reviews)

25 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great benefits, some great people, no job security

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI worked in a small division that had a great culture and everyone was very focused on the task at hand. Great benefits and work/life balance and we had a lot of fun in the group I worked with, not common in the larger organization. Benefits are great.

ConsConstant reorganizations and changing business plans create an environment where you never know what you will be doing 6 months/1 year from now. Different divisions are very protective of there work so collaboration and communication is very difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare a long term business plan with everyone, don't keep secrets so people can focus on work rather than the constant discussion of who is being laid of next. Everyone works in fear of that day they get let go.

great

Senior Scientist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

Proswork and life balance is good. flexible working time. no hurry for the work.

Consno appreciation for assocaites senior manager cares more for their own benefits not for the junior assocaites.

Advice to Senior Managementcare for science not politics

Great benefits during hard times

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsPfizer offers great benefits and if you play the office politics game well you can easily find another job within the company when lay offs come. Great work/life balance.

ConsNot very challenging position and no job growth for support staff. But they pay better then most companies so you're kind of stuck.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

High pressure, good benefits, good people

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsThe majority of the people are smart, good at what they do, and nice/helpful. The work is interesting and cutting edge and hard work is recognized

ConsThe work is fast-paced and high pressure. People are competitive and there are politics.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove rapport by decreasing pressure and interacting with the people doing the work

R&D Intern

RD Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGeneral atmosphere was very nice to intern - everybody was willing to teach and mentor. overall, it was a very good learning experience for me. there is also discounted vitamins. my supervisors were all super nice and were willing to put our names in presentations/ poster.

Conscompany downsizing. interns are hired thru contractor, and previous contractor was not always on time with payment while pfizer is ontime paying them...

Standard corporate environment, with the benefit of having a population of talented/specialized colleagues.

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood colleagues/experts in their field, huge knowledge-base. Most colleagues are appreciative, respectful, and recognize the contributions of their administrative assistants. Diversity is supported (there are formal diversity networks/groups internally), active in local community, beautiful site in San Diego (La Jolla Campus) with excellent on-site cafe and catering.

ConsOrganizational changes happen frequently. Annual review process is not well managed and suffers from imbalance. Glass ceiling: incredibly difficult/rare to move from administrative support position into another role/position/career (even with an MBA). Management effectiveness/style varies by department (true anywhere); be sure to make inquiries, if interviewing (Pharma community is small, easy to gain honest insight--be sure work style is complimentary).

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior/Executive Leadership could do more to ensure local leaders/managers communicate outward and downward. More time could be spent investing in local/site culture, to boost site morale.

Good Company going through difficult times!

IT Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood benefit package, Comfortable work environment, able to set own hours.

ConsMany layoffs in works, company announcing they will continue for next several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on Respect for people, less on shareholder attraction.

A comfortable place to work

Research Scientist (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsLots of resource, comfortable and respectful workplace

ConsFrequent restructuring due to various changes in management and pending expiration of patented drugs. Heavy politics in some dept.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have a (better) long-term plan for the future and eliminate the current dept head's controlled annual performance review and allow project's team members or leaders to review the employee's performance.

So Awesome to work for...

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) La Jolla, CA

ProsThe people are totally cool and sweet

ConsWe don't have snack time anymore, but they did give us nap time

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would do you good to maybe make the dress code a little less strict...Huggers

Excellent Company

Management (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood Working Conditions, Flex time available, Health Clinic on Site, Day Care available, Good Smart people to work with

ConsCompany is in re-structuring mode, so morale is a bit low

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on morale improvement, and less on how many jobs need to be cut, Good people bring up profits, poorly motivated people will not.

Worked for Pfizer? Contribute to the Community!