Phacil, Inc.

Updated Jun 28, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tom Shoemaker

Good place to work. Good Bosses and good relations with the government client.

Senior Subject Matter Expert (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsEnjoyable work so far. Challenging but well compensated. Good support structure with corporate HR and reachback if you ever have a problem.

ConsThe usual life of a support contractor. Will they win the option or a re-compete is always a challenging time. But, we knew that when we signed up.... right?

Advice to Senior ManagementNone right now

No job growth, no movement, no steady work flow

ProsColleagues and federal clients. Volunteer program. Health coverage is pretty good for single coverage.

ConsNo tasking, no job or skill /cert growth unless you do it on your own dime. Upper Management is out of touch. Need more leave for sick time. Need to control work flow on contract. No real telework option. Policies and perks nor evenly applied on contract. Care about some management inappropriate behavior instead of ignoring.

Advice to Senior ManagementCare about your employees.

Excellent company

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)
    Bethesda, MD

ProsI really loved my job as a systems engineer at phacil at their bethesda, MD location. The people on the phacil team are all competent and many far above that in respect to their jobs. I worked at the location for 1 1/2 years.

I ended up having to seek psychological help and whether this was due to stress or my own inability to handle life's pressures I would like to say that my management (Keith Richardson, and Don Michelli I would signal out specifically) went far and above out their way to help me work through my issues. It wasn't easy and I do appreciate how they specifically helped me. Most companies even if you are VERY GOOD at your job probably wouldn't be bothered. I was very good at my job but in the end I quit because I couldn't find a good therapist and I kept having my medication switched which just created up n downs that just prevented me from having a stable personality during the day. How I was supposed to function and work through that I'm not sure but end result was that I quit and stopped taking all medications.

ConsThey only handle government contracts. Working with government employees is difficult as they are incompetent (mostly) and this was the major aggravation factor for me in my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your people 4 weeks vacation per year. They've all earned it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poorly managed nightmare

Senior Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
    Fort Collins, CO

ProsThe people were nice, and the individual contributors seemed to know what they were doing. Pay was decent, but not great

ConsManagement seemed to re-plan the work every week or two, constantly changing directions and making older completed work obsolete due to the new changes. Work-life balance was almost non existent, site management expected employees to come in on the weekends and often no overtime was paid. The site where I worked has shut down since I left due to them losing the contract.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider hiring better lower and middle managers who understand project planning

One would think that certain days couldn't get any worse, and then you work for Phacil..

Arlington, VA

Prosco-workers are a pleasure as is the federal environment

ConsAbsolutely one of THE most incompetent management staff I've ever worked with. They have little knowledge of what they're actually managing but they really care about redoing the org chart every few weeks for no apparent reason. Not to mention their constant "firing" sessions were they fire 2 or 3 people at a time every single time their profit margins are squeezed a little.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry figuring out what your people actually DO. Stop promoting people within your "good-old-boy's" network and consider paying overtime to people that are bending over backwards to keep the systems functional.

The Job is Great, Management is in Disarray

ProsEnjoy working with our government customer. Nice facility. Some opportunity for advancement with the right certs.

ConsSexual harassment and inappropriate behavior by lower-management/leads goes unchecked. Several incidents where an employee clearly should have been let go were swept under the carpet.
    You are strongly discouraged from contacting HR in fear of reprisals including the loss of your job.
    There is absolutely no anonymity when you speak with management and/or HR about an issue.
    The condescending tone and tactics used by lower management is astounding. Manage by intimidation.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot much to offer as I believe they fully know how their contracts are managed; this type of management is generally top-down in nature.

The ability to continue my 10 year career with NSF and maintain my team.

IT Management (Former Employee)
    Arlington, VA

ProsLocation. Keeping my team together for several years. Implementing the best technology and gaining additional staff and responsibilities.

ConsPoor Executive Leadership. No overtime with an average work week of 55 + hours.

Ok

Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsNice co workers, fast in recruiting

ConsNo upward mobility, not upfront about certification requirements, lower pay than other places

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent. Stop cheerleading like its the greatest place on earth. More incentive in the bonus and raise potential.

Neutral.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood place to launch a career.

ConsUnstable. Once your contract ends it might be difficult to transfer to another one.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more transparent

Flag Review
    Phacil, Inc. Phacil Rep responded to this review Feb 13, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your remarks! Phacil is committed to providing more opportunities for all employees. Although it is not always possible for us to transfer an employee to a new contract when their ... More

Great company with excellent upward mobility...

IT Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee)
    Chandler, AZ

ProsFlexible schedules, steady work, long term contract, responsive to family needs.

I've been here for just under a year and Phacil has bent over backwards to help me with my family needs and allowed my schedule to be flexible. I'm not sure how many employers would have ben as flexible. The work is rewarding and has ben challenging but I've ben given the opportunity to move up quickly.

ConsCan be long hours at times, commute longer than I'd like. No healthy snacks in the break room :(. Wish more opportunity for working from home.

Advice to Senior ManagementPass along information to your team frequently.

Flag Review
    Phacil, Inc. Phacil Rep responded to this review Jan 9, 2014 EditDelete
    Thank you for your feedback. Phacilians are our greatest asset and the culture is to promote from within! The Company is a meritocracy, employees work hard and in return are rewarded. For ... More

Worked for Phacil, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Phacil, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Phacil, Inc. CEO Tom Shoemaker. All 33 reviews posted anonymously by Phacil, Inc. employees.