Pharm-Olam International Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.3
Zev Munk MD

Confused about what direction the company is going

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time

Pros

OK this is a hard review to write. This company is so confusing. Sometimes it feels like a great place to work. Other times it is so chaotic that it's hard to believe they can keep business, let alone return customers

The work life balance for most is good, but as per usual, not so much for CRAs. Bottom line, if you're in clinical, it really depends on the project manager and the sponsor of the project. Both can make it a great experience or bad enough to look for another job. I think this is the same for most CROs.

Career opportunities are there if you're willing to stick it out in the US but there are more chances for advancement in other countries.

Cons

They require those who work within a 60 mile radius of the company to report to the office. Seriously? Every other CRO is going the opposite way, but not Pharm-Olam.

It's one thing to force employees to work in a office but it's ridiculous when the office is an absolute dump. Seriously, the padding on some of arms of chairs is held together with duck tape, the carpet is filthy and threadbare and is so old there's no color left where people walk.

The office in Houston is in one of the most dangerous areas of Houston and is next to a strip club.

The insurance coverage is marginal. It will cover most procedures but expect to pay for it with high premiums and a bill from the provider.

Offices outside the US are nicer (at least from the pictures I've seen) and there seems to be more opportunities for promotion overseas.

I really wonder where the company is going. Are they going to invest in updated systems and employees, or are they maintaining a positive cash flow to make the company look good for a future sale? Hard to say.

Advice to Management

They're too busy bickering with themselves to listen... Just go to the Houston office and listen to them scream at each other

2. New CEO is disrespectful

I worked at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Previous CEO still owns it, and he is a nice and respectful person. COO, CFO, and CCO are the same as well.

Cons

New CEO doesn't understand that we aren't a production based company, like his previous place. Yelling and disrespect for the common person. We have educational professionalism in which means that don't need to be yelled at with total disregard for respect. Cursing and yelling isn't a good way to grow a company.

Advice to Management

Sanjiv has caused, and will cause more to resign. I am Jewish, and I would like to say, whoever shames another in public
    Is like one who sheds blood.

Management incompetent

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

compensation acceptable - blames employees for things they have no control over.

Cons

bad behavior tolerated/encouraged. work-life balance non-existent. company values - difficult to see what they are other than drive revenue and change order their clients to death. customer service poor, clients dissatisfied frequently. high turnover, HR inexperienced. hiring process flawed.

Advice to Management

keep your clients and employees happy. this will grow the business. get some experienced HR personnel. stop tolerating bad behavior. don't continue to promote incompetent people to higher positions.

5. Great working environment with possibilities of working from home occasionally.

Former Employee - Payroll Auditor in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll Auditor in Houston, TX

I worked at Pharm-Olam International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, decent pay, good for getting experience, and some possibilities of moving up in the company.

Cons

Sometimes the work I had seemed to never end and I would get behind so I would stay late to finish up.

Advice to Management

Keep up the motivational environment and you'll do fine.

Former Employee

Former Employee - CRA in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - CRA in Houston, TX

I worked at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people were wonderful and the benefits were acceptable..

Cons

The training was lacking; the company culture pitted person against person and the compensation was less for women.

Advice to Management

I would advise upper management to recognize there is no company without the people and to allow some decision making to come from those who are doing the job and not just from the top down.

Data Management

Former Employee - Data Management in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Data Management in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to this company

Cons

This company is cheap. Very high turnover rate. Which says a lot about the company.

Advice to Management

Fire them

Great product, terrible management.

Former Employee - Director, Business Development in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Director, Business Development in San Diego, CA

I worked at Pharm-Olam International

Pros

Could be a wonderful resource.

Cons

Management is totally uncoordinated and inconsistent. Takes 3x as long to get things done, and the end result is shoddy.

Advice to Management

Develop a consistent strategy, implement it, and stick to it.

Yin and Yang

Current Employee - Manager in Ascot, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in Ascot, England (UK)

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly colleagues, pleasant office location, set in leafy parkland grounds of a former grand house between Bracknell and Ascot.

Cons

training is considered a benefit and not a necassity. You are expected to train in your own time. This is an unusual approach, and this company policy on training is not made apparent at interview, but any training you are given will be done in your own time. If you are prepared for this, you'll enjoy working here.

Advice to Management

Real flexi-time would be better than the current half flexible, half set-in-stone working hours currently offered.
    Many employees have children and more flexibility is needed, including a more acceptable working from home policy.

10. Olam

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Pharm-Olam International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice people: very helpful and friendly atmosphere. A lot of responsibilities, flexible times, flat hierarchy, a lot travel, competitive salary.

Cons

Difficult to manage vacations since a lot of meetings, sometimes you will be relocated to remote places, too much travel

11. Good placefor entry level clinical research professionals

I worked at Pharm-Olam International

Pros

good place to work. casula atmosphere, great hr personnel.

Cons

work place friction can sometimes cause people to leave POI.

Advice to Management

managhers are understanding. flex hours possible.

RSS Feed </> Embed