Pharmaca Reviews

Great company

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pharmaca full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I loved the mission, values and product. It attracts a great community and gives expert advise on product and use.

Cons

Working there I had 8 pharmacy managers in 3 years. Not sure what that was about but not comforting. Snooty customers.

Worked at several stores as a pharmacist

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Pharmaca full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Most of the employees work very hard to make the concept of integrative healthcare at the pharmacy level succeed. Many practitioners and some in the pharmacies are amazing in their efforts to help the customers as best they can.

Cons

The poor guidance by the upper management level of the prescription departments makes Pharmaca nothing but CVS with a pretty face. The pressure by pharmacy management/home office to provide great customer service in spite of terrible IT services/programs and continued labor reductions.is beyond ridiculous; it is actually dangerous. Finally decided to move on as I didn't want to risk my pharmacy license by continuing to work there.

New CEO needs to shake up the pharmacy division by getting rid of the outdated pharmacy management and find someone with fresh ideas. Someone who does not bully the pharmacists and technicians. Also need a more robust IT program and support. A lot of those employees have left in droves too.

Pharmaca

Current Employee - Manager  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Pharmaca full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very kind staff, all really good people who want to help. I highly recommend working for this company. They pay fairly and treat staff well.

Cons

Customers in Boulder locations can be a handful.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Upward movement

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Pharmaca full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Unique company with a great business model. Lots of opportunity for movement into management or leadership roles, competitive wages, many in store trainings, health benefits at part time, education reimbursement, wellness & baby bonuses.

Cons

technology hiccups are frequent, communication with upper management (corporate) and team member level could be improved. Task heavy stores, so you are juggling many things at once. You need to be a multi-tasker if you work here. Just like any retail environment you will have challenging customers, so have a thick skin.

Continue on developing team members with in the company, and improved training tools. Technology needs to be updated.

Hindsight is 20/20

Former Employee - Shift Manager
    Former Employee - Shift Manager

I worked at Pharmaca full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some opportunity for product training.

Cons

Now that I have left the company and have had a chance to reflect on my 3.5 years there, I have new clarity on the severe lack of healthy communication within the retail store environment. Treatment of the retail team is condescending and insincere. Financial compensation and benefits did not match the amount of demand and expectation placed on in-store employees. Assumptions that employees are wrong or not doing a good job while hypocritically not being transparent about management's mistakes.

Dictating how your employees should feel about the assigned tasks is both unreasonable and foolish - often the people doing the work that you have delegated are the ones who understand what is or is not effective. Treating that knowledge as personal preferences or an unprofessional gripe is a lost opportunity for the company, as well as an insult to the individual actually living and experiencing it. By only giving lip service to your employees you are alienating them and not succeeding in building loyalty or emotional health.

Great company with strong values

Current Employee - Practitioner  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Practitioner in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Pharmaca part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great company focused on helping people find health and wellness. The practitioners and pharmacists are the best and the environment is soothing and environmentally friendly. They treat you like a person, not a number.

Cons

Could provide more recognition,but it probably depends on the manager

open more stores!

Lip service but no follow-through

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pharmaca full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The original mission and values of the company are fantastic. Great concept of recruiting licensed professionals and holding informative events/talks. Bottom-level employees often show great initiative and take it upon themselves to support one another and create a pleasant environment.

Cons

The actual way that the company and many of the individuals stores are run destroys morale and actively moves away from creating a healthy work environment. Non-managerial employees are treated poorly, from insufficient pay for the amount of work expected, to inadequate trust and respect given. On the occasion that serious issues were addressed from staff directly to upper management, unprofessional and sometimes demeaning responses were the norm. As to day-to-day operations, the amount of work required did not match the amount of pay/benefits given. The company claims that wages are competitive, but after inquiring throughout the community, it is easy to discover that the compensation/work load balance is far healthier at many competitor companies.

When I was with the company, the staff was incredibly smart. It was painfully obvious whenever there was an issue brought up that insincere lip service would be given to placate the staff from both middle and upper management, but no genuine action was taken. The staff made the store run, and more often than not, picked up the slack of several mediocre managers and assistant managers, all of whom were paid substantially more. In the few cases of fantastic store managers who fought to support the staff, upper management actively retaliated against the supportive actions. Please know that the staff has fantastic intentions and ideas - as well as genuine concerns - yet feels completely ignored and condescended to.

A roller coaster.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Pharmaca full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Private company, great atmosphere, great mission, awesome people.

Cons

Being a small company I understand that there is going to be times that get hectic however it seems as if this is become the norm. I often feel like upper management doesn't properly plan for the growth that the company is experiencing so often times things that could be handled better with proper planning turn out to become major issues with no warning at all. I've also come to realize that this company plays the "oh I know someone that can probably do that" game when hiring so I feel that there are some team members in certain higher positions that they wouldn't be qualified for at many other companies.

Through proper planning and holding upper management to the standards that your typical public company does would greatly improve the working conditions of this almost awesome place to work.

Great idea, but not executed well.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Pharmaca

Pros

Great idea vitamins, naturopaths for advice, RX.

Cons

Pay not consistent store to store, created problems. Too many events and promotions done back to back. Education only happened for the Estheticians and Naturopaths not the rest of the staff. The way it is set up creates too much division between staff members. They pay well but work you to death. The slogan is Come in Feel Better but that doesn't apply to the staff.

Don't keep cutting staff and having salaried people have to pick up the slack. All the staff should get the same product training. Naturopaths should be paid by the customers so they are paid more of what they want because retail wages won't keep them and you just retrain new people constantly and they are not happy with the pay. Mark is awesome, but Barry the owner is overbearing and everything has to be implemented immediately which means everyone has to work like crazy and jump through hoops to make it happen, even when you do and do it well, he isn't all that complimentary and just throws more at you to accomplish.

Sinking Ship

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Pharmaca

Pros

store discounts on expensive merchandise

Cons

poor middle management in place

Find unbiased outside satisfiaction survey company to look at company morale.

Worked for Pharmaca? Contribute to the Community!