Pharmaceutical Product Development

Updated November 28, 2014
Updated November 28, 2014

Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Pros
  • Allow employees to work from home after a time period of working in office (in 19 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is ok and the employees are very nice to work with (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority (in 25 reviews)

• High employee turnover due to burn out, no work life balance, sink or swim attitude (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

53 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

PPD

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good vacation time, and adequate benefits. Its a good place to start a career and get your feet wet in the CRO industry. Good place for lower to middle management growth.

Cons

Like all CROs, it is a project driven company. That can mean work overload, staff shortage, and tight timelines. Lots of outsourcing recently particularly in IT.

More focus on employee well being would be great. The work/life balance can be tough with the tight staffing levels.

Had a good run. Culture changed for the worse once company founder left.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Good benefits. Compensation competitive. Opportunities exist for those that produce.

Cons

Too focused on cost cutting. Processes are onerous. Constant restructuring, especially in IT. Outsourcing jobs to low cost countries.

Morale is low. Culture has become negative.

Layoffs everywhere!

Current Employee - CDM II in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - CDM II in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good place to pick up some experience to get your foot in the door. Flexible hours and liberal work from home opportunities.

Cons

Job security is practically non-existent and morale is terrible. Management has been off-shoring jobs to India and the Philippines for almost a year. The analogy of "rats off a sinking ship" comes to mind, nearly every employee in my department is desperately looking for another job before another round of layoffs is announced. Very scary times at this company!

Stop treating your employees like they are a disposable commodity.

Not great

Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Programmer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can Learn a lot in a short period, you have the opportunity to touch many different areas. But it mostly relays on your self-learning.

Cons

Too much work, too little appreciation. Work as a contractor, but paid as a part time. No work-life balance. If you have no relation, then you need to work hard but only get some soup. If you have relation, you can retire there pretty much without doing anything.

Layoffs and outsourcing !

Current Employee - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

Okay, while it lasted. Able to WFH for some positions.

Cons

Rolling layoffs, company wide. Never know when you are next. Most jobs are being outsourced out of the US.

None

Great company

Current Employee - Senior Safety Specialist in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Safety Specialist in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Great benefits, personal growth, compensation

Cons

Work overtime most weeks, work some weekends

Promoting qualified people

A learning opportunity in past years.

Former Employee - CRA in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - CRA in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Learning the right way to monitor a trial, the first years....I was proud to be a part of this organization.

Cons

Fabulous company the first years. Things changed when profit became the driver? Maybe it was explosive growth? Maybe it was the economy in 2010? Lack of leadership. Questionable decision making. Was it greed? I really cannot say. It made me sad.

When profits trump quality, you have entered a new dimension. I think it will haunt the company in the future.

Beware MedComm Sweatshop

Current Employee - Phone Agent in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Phone Agent in Morrisville, NC

Pros

Chocolate Wednesday. PTO accrues pretty quickly. There is a snack machine.

Cons

They talk about employee engagement and work-life balance but don't walk the walk. Client expectations are not managed and the brunt falls on the front line staff.

Med Comm over-promises and under-bids big contracts to get the client - employees are dispensable. Very little consideration for the front-line staff. Unpredictable shifts - last minute changes are common. OT the norm, and the expectation. Can't transfer out to different dept until after 2years. Good luck lasting that long!

Phase I

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

in a global point on view PPD is good CRO to work with well established. I worked in phase I and had a worst experience, will not recommendation to join phase 1

Cons

poor management, heavy work load, manager consider employee as a working machine, 70 percent of phase I programmers have fake resumes

the 2 manager in Phase I programming has zero management skills, please improve them

McDonalds

Former Employee - Medical Information Specialist in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Medical Information Specialist in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They like to have work parties and have lots of good food

Cons

lack of training for operation supervisors. Human resources is for the mid level employee

Walk the talk. Train your new management, Listen to employees(the grunt phone desk workers) VALUE the lower man

Pharmaceutical Product Development Photos