Pharmaceutical Product Development

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014

Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Pros
  • Allow employees to work from home after a time period of working in office (in 19 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is ok and the employees are very nice to work with (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority (in 25 reviews)

• High employee turnover due to burn out, no work life balance, sink or swim attitude (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

PPD

Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent pay, good vacation time, and adequate benefits. Its a good place to start a career and get your feet wet in the CRO industry. Good place for lower to middle management growth.

Cons

Like all CROs, it is a project driven company. That can mean work overload, staff shortage, and tight timelines. Lots of outsourcing recently particularly in IT.

More focus on employee well being would be great. The work/life balance can be tough with the tight staffing levels.

Good place to get started, not to stay for the long run

Current Employee - Research Scientist in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Research Scientist in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There is a great work-life balance, work schedule is flexible and is a great place to get CRO experience. You get exposed to a wide range of research problems and bioanalytical methods ans procedures. Great company culture

Cons

Very few promotional opportunities and compensation is below market rate. Salary employes are expected to put over 50+ hours of work a week. Almost no opportunities of continued education. There is a significant rotation of personal in junior positions and the senior leadership have been there for ever without much interest to help you advance in your career.

Assistant Scientist

Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Assistant Scientist in Madison, WI

Pros

Great benefits. Very flexible work hours.

Cons

Doesn't allow for much advancement in career. Too much micro-management from corporate for promotions and in general. I was told I was not at PPD long enough to receive a promotion.

Pay per performance not on how long one has been there. Allow for promotions to happen once an analyst is ready to move onto the next level.

Used to be a good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, NC

Pros

Flexibility to work from home, as long as I got my time in I didn't have to work a set 8-5 schedule, decent benefits

Cons

This used to be a great company to work for with a positive outlook however recently all that seems to matter is profit. That has come at a cost of poor quality, low employee morale, high turnover rates, and a poorly trained and inexperienced new staff. The company is sending most work overseas and laying off experienced, quality workers. Also the salaries are not competitive for this industry.

Work life balance needs to change, employees need to feel more valued and understand that sending work overseas will greatly impact the quality of our product for clients.

Good place to start to get statistical experience in pharma.

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I learned a lot in my first year. The people I reported to directly were great mentors. I was able to work on a wide variety of study designs.

Cons

The workload was extremely high, but that may have been due at least in part to the one-off project I was working on. Promotions seemed to be almost entirely based on years of service and not merit.

Great Place, great people

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development

Pros

1.) Salary/hourly pay
    2.) colleagues make working fun
    3.) collaborative environment
    4.) access to all lines of production, not just your area

Cons

Not applicable; this is a great environment

A fast paced best in class CRO where you learn So Much - sets the bar high

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to develop and grow, leadership and management drive and enthusiasm, truly global, ability to be rewarded for exceptional performance, experienced clinical therapeutic experts, some great people and exceptional colleagues with good team spirit. If you want to learn and be with the best clinical CRO this is a great place to be.

Cons

Expectations are mega high, work-life balance is a challenge -

Appreciate that whilst the bar is set high, people work hard, so take a little more time to nurture talent.

Good experience but they might need to step it up

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

A great opportunity to get exposure to the CRO atmosphere. Can work from home. Worked with great people.

Cons

The company has a LOT of turnover. There are people quitting every week. So work is constantly being transitioned back and forth in between employees. The company doesn't seem to have a problem with all of this turnover and have made no effort to improve pay, work load, etc. in order to keep the good employees that they do have. Hiring practices aren't very consistent either. You could have someone with a lot less qualifications than you working in a senior position over you.

You can either have a very large amount of work or none at all. Nothing in between.

The salary and benefits are not as good as other CROs.

great place to start your career

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

quickly learn a lot, friendly colleagues, on-site gym

Cons

extremely heavy workload, poor management, salary

The logistics of clinical research..more complicated than one might have originally imagined.

Current Employee - Team Recruiter in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Recruiter in Austin, TX

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Decent room for development
    -Team atmosphere
    -Competitive salaries
    -Range of job responsibilities keeps things interesting
    -High turnover rate= more opportunities to advance

Cons

-Must be very meticulous and detail oriented
    -Not exactly a profession one envisions themselves going into while in school
    -Can be very busy or very slow, not much in between

Pharmaceutical Product Development Photos