Pharmaceutical Product Development

www.ppdi.com

Pharmaceutical Product Development Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Pharmaceutical Product Development – Wilmington – “PPD Worldwide Headquarters”

Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons

David Simmons

Pros
  • Work Life Balance is ok and the employees are very nice to work with(in 14 reviews)

• work from home but they are cutting back on it(in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority(in 21 reviews)

• High employee turnover due to burn out, no work life balance, sink or swim attitude(in 10 reviews)

Very professional environment, not very technically challenging

ProsWell Managed
    Very Professional
    Friendly people
    Good Aread

ConsPay not competitive
    Not much room for learning

My experience was neutral.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe benefits are great. The training program is of high quality. The people are wonderful and very committed to the cause.

ConsThe culture is very hierarchical and the opinions of people in lower positions are not highly valued. Cross functional, multilevel teamwork is weak and needs improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace diversity and teamwork to improve the business and financial results. Learn to listen to the experts performing the tasks everyday.

Manager

ProsExcellent corporate and departmental training

ConsThe amount of work you are assigned to do is not realistic

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote work-life balance lifestyles

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CRA

Clinical Research Associate (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsClassic among CRO's, Set up high standards for employees and research sites, Good place to work, Excellent start up training program, Strict, Good CTM's, Supportive environment for CRAs. Any company experience can be good or bad depending on the managers and study. I was a CRA at PPD for 3 years and enjoyed my work. My CTM was very supportive and was always looking to guide and support me whenever required. During the audits, CTM was quite protective. My LM was also nice and not a micro manger. He set up a rule to complete all the work in timely fashion. Other wise quite inspiring person. I had in house CRA who helped me with site management who was new to industry but managed really well. Good staff. Couldn't ask for more. Very supportive environment

ConsThis job is for fast pace people who enjoy the travel. Some times I felt the time allocated to do the job is not sufficient. Few of the tasks- like monitoring sites were quite time consuming than allocated in general for any average site. PMs hit low on budget. Its stressful meeting so many deadlines. Some LMS training were of no use. Lot of redundancy in reports which kills time for CRA, CTM and sponsors.
    Its hard to get promoted but overall nice work culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on improving- salary and work life balance for CRAs, so please act otherwise you will loose lot of valuable employees.

One of the best places to work if you find the right group

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI had many great experiencesat PPD as well as some really horrible ones. On the PRO side, it was very easy to communicate with colleagues globally. There was superior employee learning management system, immediate access to knowledgeable, very skilled remote desktop service, managers who focused on employee personal growth, improvement, learning and strengthening skillset in order to sustain happy, productive employees. This was only true if you had a confident manager who had upper management support.

ConsInsularity, reluctance/refusal to work with west coast employees, lack of respect for time differences, e.g. calls from Australia at 2:00 am. Favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone. The company was bought shortly after I left.

Principal Clinical Research Associate

ProsEasy to move ahead.

ConsSome managers micro-manage. Slightly behind technologically.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to promote those who are truly qualified versus those who develop close ties with upper management.

Would be a nice place to work without senior management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Middleton, WI

ProsDepending on which group you're in, the work schedule can be flexible and accommodate personal issues. Most of the staff are friendly.

ConsThe senior site leadership is lacking in most categories - communication being one of the most glaring. Decisions are made about personnel without ever talking to the affected staff. Most of the management are disconnected from the actual technical aspects of the business that they manage. As such, most of the staff are treated like replaceable cogs. If one gets worn out, it gets replaced.

Advice to Senior Management"Employee Engagement" actually means to communicate with staff, listen to them, and quite possibly consider what it is that they trying to tell you.

Used to be a great job, now it's a great reference as you look for a new job.

Clinical Data Manager (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsPros include the flexibility, I am able to work from home and have never had an issue when I needed to rearrange my schedule or take off time. The experience and diversity of clients and co-workers is a plus. PPD also has decent facilities and social events.

ConsSalary is very low compared to other CROs (large and small). Hard work and performance is not rewarded and management is completely out of touch. The biggest con is also the outsourcing they now do with the Philippines, allowing staff in the Wilmington location to be laid off and replaced by much lower paid staff in PHI. PPD has turned into another greedy corporation looking for the cheapest labor and highest return, no matter who they screw over (employees and clients).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little more in touch with what's going on with the staff under you. Stand up for your hard working staff and understand the pressures of under-allocating studies and over-allocating staff.

Great training program, not so great hours

Research Technician (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsPay is decent, and they train you very well on medical procedures. Coworkers are great.

ConsAll techs are PRN, some shifts are only two hours. Some people in other departments are hard to work with.

Its a fine company with an amazing location.

Commercial Coordinator (Current Employee) Wilmington, NC

ProsGreat location in wilmington next to the river, Salary is also generally good. They take fairly good care of you.

ConsWorkload tends to be quite high for some teams, Turnover is definatly an issue in some departments.

Worked for Pharmaceutical Product Development? Contribute to the Community!