Pharmaceutical Product Development

Updated September 21, 2014
2.9

Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Pros
  • Get to work from home a couple of days a week (in 14 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is ok and the employees are very nice to work with (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority (in 21 reviews)

• High employee turnover due to burn out, no work life balance, sink or swim attitude (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

ok, but not great for career growth

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Lots of work to do

Cons

Lots of expectations and little support

Train your staff and then rely on them to do a good job or ask when they have questions

Phase I

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst  in  Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

in a global point on view PPD is good CRO to work with well established. I worked in phase I and had a worst experience, will not recommendation to join phase 1

Cons

poor management, heavy work load, manager consider employee as a working machine, 70 percent of phase I programmers have fake resumes

the 2 manager in Phase I programming has zero management skills, please improve them

My internship with PPD was very informational and provided me with a great basis in IT Project Management.

Current Employee - IT Project Management Assistant  in  Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - IT Project Management Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great working environment. Understanding management.

Cons

No entry-level positions for interns.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good place to train, a better place to leave behind

Former Employee - Commercial Analyst  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Commercial Analyst in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong training and infrastructure, nice facilities (at headquarters). PPD hires entry level/no experience employees (good way to enter the industry). The new CEO (as of 2012/2013 from Pfizer) is a smart guy with strong experience and will lead the company well. Nice HQ location. That's about all the good there is.

Cons

Management is clueless. My accounts shifted periodically so I got to work with several managers, very few of which had any clue what was going on with their teams/accounts. Typical complaints of "overworked and underpaid" really don't convey what it's like at PPD. Lowest paying company in the industry and they work you twice as hard (which explains why so many people left after only a few months). Many employees use this as a jumping off point, PPD will hire entry level with no experience but has robust training-get your foot in the industry door by working and training here-you'll be recruited by a competitor in no time for twice the pay and half the hours (give or take). I was clocking 100+ hour work weeks due to demanding clients and had to justify this to my manager (again-clueless about the team's workload) even though I was salaried. Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority. Quality of life tripled when I left. Limited career advancement (in fact promotions/raises were just cut from twice yearly to annually). You're just a number.

Specific to my department-Management shows little to no appreciation to their employees for their time and efforts, unless you're one of the few favored individuals, you will work most nights and weekends, even managers had this burden, you will be disrespected by your sales reps and treated as though you are beneath them.

Pay attention. Don't come by your team's area once a week-talk with them, get a clue what's going on. Show your employees that you are aware of their efforts AND appreciate them. Don't let other staff demean your team just because their salary is higher (BD reps). Start paying your employees more, they'll be willing to work hard (since they already do) but they might actually stick around...

Not what it use to be!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Majority of the co-workers were great to work with.

Cons

Sr. Mgmt needs to do a better job and be more accountable.

Behind the times

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Remote work opportunities and family oriented culture.

Cons

Thin in IT talent, delivery capabilities are shallow, company lacks in innovation beyond what is offered in the marketplace. Leadership is waiting for the inevitable sale of the company to another investor firm or re-IPO

Hire more digital natives. Look at other industries that have long passed the data challenges.

Good summer experience

Former Employee - Project Assistant  in  Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was there as an intern. I was given a supervisor immediately who walked me through the office to meet people and explained where things were, etc. We had weekly meetings and daily checkins and my manager always made sure I was on task and had enough to do.

Cons

As an intern I was relegated to the copy room most of the time. Sometimes cold calling. It wasn't the most exciting thing but I guess as an intern what can you expect?

Some more useful tasks may have made me want to return to the company for employment following my internship. Unfortunately my internship showed me nothing about the company so I didn't try to go back. But everyone else seemed happy there so maybe it was just my job.

Not completely rotten, but I would never work here again

Former Employee - Associate Scientist  in  Wayne, PA
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist in Wayne, PA

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time for more than a year

Pros

PPD does genuinely seem interested in doing the right thing for its clients most of the time and in producing scientifically sound data, most of the time.

Cons

Lackluster salaries, extremely low-trust, toxic company culture, poor management, little regard for well being of employees, chaotic work environment with no sense of professionalism whatsoever. Promotion and performance assessment system is completely broken. Also, as a scientist you will HATE yourself for working here. It is really, really hard to get even the most basic things accomplished, even my cGMP standards there are mountains of bloat you have to climb over to do the simplest of tasks.

Find out why the turnover rate is >50% year over year from the people at the bottom.

Industry Leader that may crumble

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company was built from the ground up by Fred Eschleman into the largest Clinical Research Organization in the the world. It the the gold standard and the eny of every other competitor Covance, Quintiles, etc. The company has no debt and was taken private a few years ago.

The work is rewarding! Knowing that you are helping to get good drugs into the system and keeping those that may cause harm out is a noble endeavor.

Cons

PPD acquired most of the lab business and spent no money intergrating those businesses; Our infrastructure and software system are meager at best and because we have no integration between our labs we are suffering immensely.

A number rumors are going around that a reduction in force is going to happen. It is a shame wehn a company tells you that you are their greatest asset but doesn't believe it themselves. Many good people with great skills are going to hit the streets and instead of the new venture capitalist that own PPD looking at the hand they were dealt and building even a better brand and a more scaleable organization they are going to take the easy way out. A knee jerk reaction will effect the bottom line for a quarter or two but this company needs investments in technology.

Don't give up on the mission to meet short term goals.!!!

Sr. RCS

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time

Pros

Great training and way to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Lots of politics. You someone doesn't like you forget about a promotion.

Worked for Pharmaceutical Product Development? Contribute to the Community!