Pharmaceutical Product Development

Updated December 22, 2014
Updated December 22, 2014

Pharmaceutical Product Development Chairman and CEO David Simmons
David Simmons

Pros
  • Allow employees to work from home after a time period of working in office (in 19 reviews)

• Work Life Balance is ok and the employees are very nice to work with (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority (in 25 reviews)

• High employee turnover due to burn out, no work life balance, sink or swim attitude (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Lab Tech

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development

Pros

Good experience, good environment, If you work hard, you will get your opportunities.

Cons

too much work little pay

assistant scientist

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Possibility of overtime is great
    Great PTO

Cons

management doesn't care if you don't want to work overtime
    long hours at times
    nit picky

train better

Good job

Current Employee - Research Technician in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Austin, TX

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You get to pick your availability, good opportunities for overtime and to move up within the company. On the job training.

Cons

Sometimes unsteady hours, sometimes stressful work environment, high turnover rate. Training received is not enough to acquire certification to work at other places.

Demanding but fair

Former Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunity to move up the latter and to work on various clinical projects. One of the few CROs at the time that would provide training to junior personnel entering the industry. Their education orientation program to get all new hires on the same page was very helpful to recent hires.

Cons

There was a lot of turnover especially in the clinical research sector related to the high amount of travel involving clinical trial management.

ppd

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development

Pros

Its a good place to work

Cons

there nothing too out of the ordinary

PPD: Think about your personal needs before applying

Current Employee - PVG in Wilmington, NC
    Current Employee - PVG in Wilmington, NC

I have been working at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and support of fellow employees. Allow employees to work from home after a time period of working in office.

Cons

The organization stresses the production and output of work despite the current workload of the employee.OFten had to work 10-12 hours days and every weekend. Very poor management with no qualifications or education; lack of confidentiality on your reviews to other fellow employees, little HR suppor

Take management classes; listen to employees and distribute workload more appropriately. Reorganziae the entire management team and encourage support of employees. Stress confidentiality among management of PVG.

ok, but not great for career growth

Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Clinical Data Manager in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of work to do

Cons

Lots of expectations and little support

Train your staff and then rely on them to do a good job or ask when they have questions

Phase I

Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Morrisville, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer Analyst in Morrisville, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than an year)

Pros

in a global point on view PPD is good CRO to work with well established. I worked in phase I and had a worst experience, will not recommendation to join phase 1

Cons

poor management, heavy work load, manager consider employee as a working machine, 70 percent of phase I programmers have fake resumes

the 2 manager in Phase I programming has zero management skills, please improve them

A good place to train, a better place to leave behind

Former Employee - Commercial Analyst in Wilmington, NC
    Former Employee - Commercial Analyst in Wilmington, NC

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Strong training and infrastructure, nice facilities (at headquarters). PPD hires entry level/no experience employees (good way to enter the industry). The new CEO (as of 2012/2013 from Pfizer) is a smart guy with strong experience and will lead the company well. Nice HQ location. That's about all the good there is.

Cons

Management is clueless. My accounts shifted periodically so I got to work with several managers, very few of which had any clue what was going on with their teams/accounts. Typical complaints of "overworked and underpaid" really don't convey what it's like at PPD. Lowest paying company in the industry and they work you twice as hard (which explains why so many people left after only a few months). Many employees use this as a jumping off point, PPD will hire entry level with no experience but has robust training-get your foot in the industry door by working and training here-you'll be recruited by a competitor in no time for twice the pay and half the hours (give or take). I was clocking 100+ hour work weeks due to demanding clients and had to justify this to my manager (again-clueless about the team's workload) even though I was salaried. Work life balance does not exist-although they claim it's a high priority. Quality of life tripled when I left. Limited career advancement (in fact promotions/raises were just cut from twice yearly to annually). You're just a number.

Specific to my department-Management shows little to no appreciation to their employees for their time and efforts, unless you're one of the few favored individuals, you will work most nights and weekends, even managers had this burden, you will be disrespected by your sales reps and treated as though you are beneath them.

Pay attention. Don't come by your team's area once a week-talk with them, get a clue what's going on. Show your employees that you are aware of their efforts AND appreciate them. Don't let other staff demean your team just because their salary is higher (BD reps). Start paying your employees more, they'll be willing to work hard (since they already do) but they might actually stick around...

Behind the times

I worked at Pharmaceutical Product Development full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Remote work opportunities and family oriented culture.

Cons

Thin in IT talent, delivery capabilities are shallow, company lacks in innovation beyond what is offered in the marketplace. Leadership is waiting for the inevitable sale of the company to another investor firm or re-IPO

Hire more digital natives. Look at other industries that have long passed the data challenges.

Pharmaceutical Product Development Photos