Pharmacyclics

Be The First To
Add Photos

Pharmacyclics Chairman and Interim CEO Robert W. Duggan

Robert W. Duggan

Challenging, but not for everyone

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsThere are mixed feelings with working at PCYC. My experience overall has been great. I knew coming in that it would be high pace and challenging. It has a start-up feel which means growing pains but also rewarding. For the people that want status quo or are not able to think outside the box and be flexible this is not the place for you. For people that can handle high stress, fast pace and strive in an environment of making things better and more efficient that comes then this would be a good place. I like my team and feel that we are collaborative.

ConsThere are some areas that need to be addressed in the company such as management style and work/life balance and rewards. However I think that's recognized by senior management and there's been steps towards that. The 401k match could be improved. There's a 3 year vesting and that's not competitive in our industry. The match is also on the low side.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees. Investigate matters and take action when it's something that's been heard before. Be present and visible to the entire company so you can see what's going on instead of just being in the office or behind closed doors.

Marketing Consultant

Online Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsFast moving, prosperous company with great leadership and management. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Good to be part of a solution for cancer. The people are great--positive and hard working. Strong team environment.

ConsSo much to do. Always busy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep moving the company forward.

Little Work/Life Balance, but still good place

Director (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThere are so many opportunities at PCYC, but you've got to work really hard!
    Contrary to a handful of the negative reviews, one doesn't need to be a Scientologist to get promoted (I'm a living example), but it is expected that you give a large portion of your life to PCYC.
    This is where the biggest challenge for not only myself, but many employees comes in.
    Although upper management drives really hard and fast, they seem to have a good idea of where they want to take the company.

ConsSenior and upper management make considerable sums more than everyone else.
    To second another reviewer: most of us work really hard and long hours, but aren't adequately compensated.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher salaries for expected work load and better benefits

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good working environment

Development Operations (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsI have been employed now at Pharmacyclics for quite a few years and found the environment to be open and supportive to my growth. I like working there and I like my colleagues. The company is also expanding radily which has provided me tremendous opportunities to expand in my field.

ConsIt is a very fast paced environment, where decisions have to be made quickly. So you have to be on your toes.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

IMBRUVICA GREAT PRODUCT

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat Product, Excellent execution and vision of the senior management, lot of potential to grow if you execute, management has started listening to employees as they added/ enhanced lot of great employee benefits including shuttle bus, higher 401k match, better and cheaper medical benefits

ConsWork Life Balance, there is lot of work to do, not the best benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue executing with great product and focus more on work life balance of employees, Add more headcounts if needed.

The most exciting, innovative, team-oriented work environment in Silicon Valley

ProsGreat people, great leadership, great drug.

This company is in serious growth mode, the opportunity for you to grow professionally and personally is enormous.

Ready to make a difference???!!

ConsSunnyvale is not the most convenient location but it's growing on me!

We are growing very fast, footprint expanding which can make it difficult to keep a consistent culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementBiannual reviews/feedback would be appreciated. More company-wide meetings, events please. Friday happy hour??!!

Holiday shutdown please.

The 1-2 star reviews are truthful

ProsIbrutinib turned out to be an incredible product for patients suffering from MCL/CLL

ConsSadly, the 1 and 2 star comments are true. I’ve been here for over 3 years and I’m consistently disappointed with how senior management runs the company. They seethe with disrespect and bully tactics across the board. In the last month, we’ve lost some of the most talented people I know. The same people who helped run the studies and bring the drug to market and those that work with the sales teams. It baffles me that no attempt was made to keep such incredible talent. Promotions are based on favoritism and whether or not you are the “flavor” of the week. You will be expected to work 24/7 or you won’t be treated with any respect and considered “lazy”. A title from this company won’t prepare you for any other Pharma b/c senior management won’t allow you to function independently. If you wonder why I stay it’s b/c my stock is not yet fully vested and I came in early enough to make some real $. Remodeled my house etc. etc.
    If you are looking to join PCYC, once your honeymoon days are over, you will be completely disappointed with what you got in to.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Board of Directors need to do something. While the CEO may have been able to run several companies well during his career, the emotionally immature team immediately under him needs to be dealt with quickly.

Disappointment, sadness, and financial loss

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsLife changing for patients with CLL as well as advancement in cancer therapy.

ConsThere was no life balance policy. Company built out of control stress, fear and anxiety. Scientology is their training program.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO should top paying people to write positive reviews about himself and the company. The dissatisfied reviews which are the truth far out weight the positive and you will not catch up.

Great product, upper management needs work.

ProsIt is a great experience to be able to bring Imbruvica to patients that need this medicine.

ConsVery long hours, unrealistic time lines, many departments are understaffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micromanaging!

Worry that the leadership is acting against compliance standards

Finance Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsHard working and very dedicated employees. Enjoy working and learning in a team setting. Good drug.

ConsExecutive leadership in several areas of Operations is horrific. All are task masters with no vision in mind. Manager and employees have to create vision and strategize since executvie leadership is not able to do their primary objective.

During audits have been told to 'doctor' reports and say these are my departments 'errors' and that executive leadership had no knowledge of the problem. (yea right! we live and breath by informing them on a constant basis)

Several employees are more likely to be promoted to director level and above if they fit the 'personality' profile but with no regard to technical skills or knowledge on how to manage/lead their designated departments. The premise for advancement is Scientology philosophy.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the top executive leadershp and replace with ethical and moral and high 'functioning' leadership that can provide vision and dedicated strategizes that will encourage success for ALL stakeholders. BIG Brother mentality must be removed.

Ask why employees are resigning faster than the company can hire on.

Worked for Pharmacyclics? Contribute to the Community!