Pharmacyclics Reviews

Pharmacyclics Chairman and Interim CEO Robert W. Duggan
Robert W. Duggan

Getting better

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a great drug and is doing very well. You can make a big impact here and really add to your career development.

Cons

All the comments about lack of work/life balance and fair treatment of employees were certainly true a few months ago. However management is making a real effort to improve things and I have certainly felt improvement recently. It is really unfortunate that sooooo many people were fired or left very angry. I truly hope this chapter is done for the company and we can move into a more rational environment where people will stay for years.

The recent focus on reducing employee turnover is great. For the first time, I feel the company has prioritized the well being of employees. The stress of being fired on any given day for making some mistake is going down. This is key to long term retention. Give us a chance to take managed risks, make some mistakes and learn. Please assume we are all trying to learn and grow with no bad intentions. In this kind of environment I don't see why anyone would want to leave. Please help make this happen.

Breakthrough drug, political environment, no work-life balance

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Imbruvica is a wonder drug. Convenient location. Salary ok. New cafeteria. Welcome people from around the world. I found friends to talk to in my language.

Cons

No work life balance. Benefits less than competition. Employees treated like rats. Green snake management. We say elephants are killed for ivory and birds for feathers. Your spirit is killed here with too much work and terrible management attitude.

Company has been going downhill. Clean out VPs and wash away the evil environment. Do not be blind through acquisition.

Rating it a 1 star is an over statement

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some of my colleagues were wonderful to work with. It's a shame that we all got treated very poorly. The major pro is I'm no longer at "PCYC"

Cons

It's unbelievable the amount of pressure, LONG hours, incompetency of upper management, the approval steps to go through to move forward with a decision, favoritism, the blame game, and cover your behind type of environment and culture this company is. I go home after work and I'm extremely exhausted and feel defeated. Instead of a "thank you" it's "why isn't this done yet?" Maybe it's because you keep throwing buckets of water to the point I'm drowning. When seeking for resources we're told we have enough. My colleagues and I only had each other. The unfairness and favoritism that management shows to particular individuals is bothersome and obvious. It appears that if you're more chit chatty with upper management that you're a favorite versus an individual that actually does the job.

I was waiting for my bonus to be paid out, but they changed the date. I couldn't take it anymore so I quit before I got it. It's not worth to feel used and abused, under appreciated, and feel like a hamster in the wheel and never getting anywhere.

Please wake up and look at what you're doing with the company! Just because the stock price is going up doesn't make it acceptable to treat the employees that made and supported Imbruvica to be a success. The C-suite level and the SVP's VP's or now they call them the "Heads Of", start treating the employees with respect and courtesy instead of barking orders louder and longer. There's a reason why the star rating is a 2. It doesn't mean that 2 is closer to being #1. You should be aiming to get 5 stars, but you won't be able to do that because you ignore the people that make the difference for this company and it's about the people.

Worst. Senior. Management. Ever.

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Vast majority of individual contributors are conscientious, dedicated and professional. Direct Supervisor is highly effective. Options are OK.

Cons

Any positive review you read here is a testament to the obliviousness that can be induced by sleeplessness.
    Senior management has low levels of operational awareness or micromanage to a point of inefficiency.
    CEO backed into a billion dollars and thinks it is the magic of LRH that got him there and wants to share it with the SPs with an Orwellian newspeak 'Everyone is a genius' concept.
    COO is utterly out of her depth (Pharmacyclics' own Sarah Palin) she has stated publicly it is a source of pride that nearly 2/3rds of employees are women. I am no statistician but in a meritocratic hiring system shouldn't that be closer to 1/2? COO's one demonstrated skill I have personally observed is carrying the CEOs soda can.
    The VP in charge of my group is dishonest, incompetent or both, so much so that they have a turnover rate in the group for 2014 approached 20%. Annual reviews are arbitrary and capricious. People are dismissed without cause.
    Many good employees are simply treading water waiting for stocks to vest.
    Zero work life balance, it is run like microsoft in the early 90s where you are not a team player if you don't jettison your family and live at the office.
    Senior Management look at their better direct reports as threats and squash an career development. Promotion of lickspittles and professional complainers is the rule.

Ride off into the sunset with your millions or billion and let the grownups take over.

6. Great

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Pharmacyclics as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great place to work in pharma industry

Cons

Need to focus more on the job

Great product which need to market more efficiently

Not Worth the Opportunity

Former Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The drug is great. Company is growing and has a lot of partnerships with other biopharma companies. The Pros are like the ants and the elephant is the Cons.

Cons

There are too many to name but here's just a few of them.

1. Location is not ideal.
    2. CEO and COO run the company like it's a dictatorship. COO and CFO are control freaks and makes the rules and everyone has to follow. If you don't like it then see yourself out the door. I also heard the COO reads every employee's performance review. Maybe if your a mom and pop company and you had 5 people but there's over 500 employees. Isn't the COO supposed to be running the company? Why bother hiring managers, directors if the C-Suite doesn't allow you to have that responsibility? They can just do it themselves.
    3. Side deals happen and it's a corrupt environment. They promote people but the minute they don't like the person they turn around and plot to fire them or make it so bad that the person end up leaving. It's all part of a hidden agenda and master plan.
    4. No work/life balance. It's almost like this company never heard of life outside of work. The feeling is that if you don't work a lot of hours you're not doing your job or you're a slacker even if you put in 40 or more hours a week. Expectation is your phone is on your hip after hours (whatever that means) and on weekends.
    5. If you have a family you might as well say goodbye to them because you won't see or talk to them much. You might see them in the morning before you leave for work but they're probably still sleeping. You may see them around 8p or later when you come home or maybe you get home at a decent hour (5:30p) but you're back online working again. Hence you're just a body and a number. Another one will come and replace you when they're ready to get rid of you. By that time you probably had a divorce, separation, kids don't talk to you and lost some friends. So after you leave or if you got let go you have to rebuild your life because you have everything up for the company.

The best feeling and weight off my shoulders was leaving this company. I no longer have high blood pressure. I don't wake up in the middle of the night stressing out. I work in a real company that values me as a person and not a number.

Listen to your managers and directors. You would be surprised that some of them actually know what they're doing and may even be doing a job better than senior management. Look at what the other biopharma companies are doing with work/life balance. Maybe you can learn a few things from them. Don't be so controlling and be "big brother". 24/7 work schedule doesn't equal hard-worker. It means you're insane and crazy to expect this.

Exhausted and ready to go!

Current Employee - Finance in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Free breakfast on Fridays. Free coffee, tea and fruit. Imbruvica is great.

Cons

When I go home I'm exhausted and burnt out. I've never worked for a place that beats you to death and still expects for more! So many people are leaving and moving on to a place that the grass is greener. I'm just waiting for my year to be up so I can get some stock out of it and go. I should at least get something for the pain I endured here. I talked to my director about how I feel and what I've observed and it was just brushed under the rug and she said that's just how it is here.

I don't think there's any hope. I give up on this company. This is the worse place I've ever worked and I feel bad that there are a lot of great people here. The genius stuff is a joke and a training that's required for all employees to attend. Why not start there and get rid of that culture wannabe and actually figure out what the right culture should be for this company and one that's not work work work oh yes and work!

DO NOT Come Here!

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people you meet here

Cons

- C level management is a joke. CEO is a broken record. COO is unprofessional and spurts out random words during company meetings. CFO has absolutely no experience.

- Upper management tells you how well the company is doing, and then line their own pockets

- No work life balance

- Either you're a yes man or prepared to be on the chopping block

- Favoritism

avoid if possible

I worked at Pharmacyclics

Pros

Friendly, hardworking colleagues. Good location.

Cons

high employee turn over rate.

Could Be Better

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- My direct manager was amazing
    - Colleagues are friendly and outgoing
    - Benefits for full-time employees are increasing

Cons

- OVERWORKED
    - Company does not have reasonable goals
    - Upper management does not understand how much work their expectations take to complete
    - Not enough compensation
    - It's a dog eat dog world here...
    - Not enough pyramid structure for management

Upper management should stand up for their employees instead of just faring for themselves. Sure, everyone is selfish, but that philosophy seems to be magnetized at this company.