Pharmacyclics

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014

Pharmacyclics Chairman and Interim CEO Robert W. Duggan
Robert W. Duggan

Company higher smart passionate people, then work them to exhaustion while beating them down.

Current Employee - Finance Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great drug. Not much more to add.

Cons

Horrific senior management. Bully and unethical practice management style. Finance dept is the worse.

Board of directors need to come in and clean house. Need high caliber senior management. Otherwise the company will continue in the path of losing their best talent. Major brain drain this last year due to horrific management. CEO needs to ask each employee resigning why they are leaving

Fast and furious!

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Salary is OK, benefits adequate. Company values are commendable. Certain C level and VP level employees are great; others not so much. Location is accessible from Peninsula, South Bay and East Bay and the SSF location works well for the people in SF. A lot of growth opportunities. People are generally very good to work with. Communication lately has become poor, and it seems like the executive level is playing whispering down the lane. Stop sugar coating and keep it real.

Cons

There are growing pains. Work life balance non-existant. Need a bus service like Genentech. Sales people have need of a serious attitude adjustment. Management needs to look at the person and not promote because a girl wears a short skirt or gives an insincere smile. HR should be more helpful and available. Need a cafeteria and serious gym.

Listen more to people who do the work and less to the politicians. Remove the micromanagement.

poor experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time for more than a year

Pros

at this time, I don't see any pros

Cons

more than enough cons.
    office culture: political as expected from this industry, but more so than other places. same applies to favoritism. also, there is no whistleblower protection policy here.
    work-life balance: absolutely no work-life balance. expect most of your time to work. you sacrifice your personal lives while employed at Pharmacyclics. your family interactions become more of daily phone calls and hi's and bye's
    compensation: average salary. when you compute hours invested and the poor benefits, this place doesn't suit a lot of people. once they figure this out, and a better opportunity comes along, you see them leaving; thus the high turnover.

offer employee support and sympathy/empathy. we all want to help patients, but your style of management is killing us along the way

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Another talented CMO leaves

I worked at Pharmacyclics full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's been established that there really aren't any pros

Cons

Culture, training, professionalism. More talented people continue to leave this company. It's really a shame that leadership is unable to conduct themselves in a professional manner across the board. Company philosophy is a great fit for the middle east. Maybe they should move their head office over there.

Stop driving away your talent. Better yet, sell the company to J&J so that reputable people can run it.

Challenging, but not for everyone

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are mixed feelings with working at PCYC. My experience overall has been great. I knew coming in that it would be high pace and challenging. It has a start-up feel which means growing pains but also rewarding. For the people that want status quo or are not able to think outside the box and be flexible this is not the place for you. For people that can handle high stress, fast pace and strive in an environment of making things better and more efficient that comes then this would be a good place. I like my team and feel that we are collaborative.

Cons

There are some areas that need to be addressed in the company such as management style and work/life balance and rewards. However I think that's recognized by senior management and there's been steps towards that. The 401k match could be improved. There's a 3 year vesting and that's not competitive in our industry. The match is also on the low side.

Listen to your employees. Investigate matters and take action when it's something that's been heard before. Be present and visible to the entire company so you can see what's going on instead of just being in the office or behind closed doors.

Marketing Consultant

Current Employee - Online Marketing Consultant  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Online Marketing Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Fast moving, prosperous company with great leadership and management. Lots of opportunity for advancement. Good to be part of a solution for cancer. The people are great--positive and hard working. Strong team environment.

Cons

So much to do. Always busy.

Keep moving the company forward.

Little Work/Life Balance, but still good place

Current Employee - Director  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are so many opportunities at PCYC, but you've got to work really hard!
    Contrary to a handful of the negative reviews, one doesn't need to be a Scientologist to get promoted (I'm a living example), but it is expected that you give a large portion of your life to PCYC.
    This is where the biggest challenge for not only myself, but many employees comes in.
    Although upper management drives really hard and fast, they seem to have a good idea of where they want to take the company.

Cons

Senior and upper management make considerable sums more than everyone else.
    To second another reviewer: most of us work really hard and long hours, but aren't adequately compensated.

Higher salaries for expected work load and better benefits

The 1-2 star reviews are truthful

I have been working at Pharmacyclics

Pros

Ibrutinib turned out to be an incredible product for patients suffering from MCL/CLL

Cons

Sadly, the 1 and 2 star comments are true. I’ve been here for over 3 years and I’m consistently disappointed with how senior management runs the company. They seethe with disrespect and bully tactics across the board. In the last month, we’ve lost some of the most talented people I know. The same people who helped run the studies and bring the drug to market and those that work with the sales teams. It baffles me that no attempt was made to keep such incredible talent. Promotions are based on favoritism and whether or not you are the “flavor” of the week. You will be expected to work 24/7 or you won’t be treated with any respect and considered “lazy”. A title from this company won’t prepare you for any other Pharma b/c senior management won’t allow you to function independently. If you wonder why I stay it’s b/c my stock is not yet fully vested and I came in early enough to make some real $. Remodeled my house etc. etc.
    If you are looking to join PCYC, once your honeymoon days are over, you will be completely disappointed with what you got in to.

The Board of Directors need to do something. While the CEO may have been able to run several companies well during his career, the emotionally immature team immediately under him needs to be dealt with quickly.

Good working environment

Current Employee - Development Operations  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Development Operations in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I have been employed now at Pharmacyclics for quite a few years and found the environment to be open and supportive to my growth. I like working there and I like my colleagues. The company is also expanding radily which has provided me tremendous opportunities to expand in my field.

Cons

It is a very fast paced environment, where decisions have to be made quickly. So you have to be on your toes.

None

IMBRUVICA GREAT PRODUCT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Pharmacyclics full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Product, Excellent execution and vision of the senior management, lot of potential to grow if you execute, management has started listening to employees as they added/ enhanced lot of great employee benefits including shuttle bus, higher 401k match, better and cheaper medical benefits

Cons

Work Life Balance, there is lot of work to do, not the best benefits

Continue executing with great product and focus more on work life balance of employees, Add more headcounts if needed.

Worked for Pharmacyclics? Contribute to the Community!