Pharmagra Reviews

Reset
3.3
Peter Newsome, Ph.D. & Roger Frisbee

1. Excellent Small Company in Amazing Locale

I have been working at Pharmagra full-time

Pros

PAL is a superb CRO with lots of great people to work with/for. They are doing cutting edge science in the heart of the Land of Waterfalls, serving a variety of clients: Pharma/biotech, AgSci, semiconductors, inorganics, etc. Great place to be if you love wearing lots of hats (I do!) . . . opportunities to build exposure to a variety of types of chemistry as well as breaking from the bench to get your hands dirty on occasion. Also a good opportunity to build analytical skills and meet with a variety of clients.

Cons

High cost of living in the area Not close to major cities (some see this as more of a pro than a con)

Advice to Management

I hope you will continue to grow and bring a high quality set of jobs to a beautiful area of the country.

Great place to live, good place to work

I have been working at Pharmagra

Pros

Location, location , location. Pisgah National forest, Land of Waterfalls. Enough said. Benefits package is really good (group health, group dental, disability, SEP). Pay is OK, but since a small company you can get recognized and earn bonus. Not sure what the other reviewers were talking about on the bonuses. Guess they didn't get one. Definitely not a place for lab hacks. Lab is good;it's no Merck but they've got everything needed.

Cons

Pay could be better. Depending on project, sometimes I gotta work over 40hrs in a week. Have to learn fast; not a place for lab hacks.

Advice to Management

Need better communication about what's going on. Need to give quicker input during project if it is not going well.

pharmagra labs - don't consider it

I have been working at Pharmagra

Pros

beautiful location in the hills of western NC. Low cost of living (housing) so lower salary is doable.

Cons

horrendous lab conditions. you expect a CRO not to have the latest and greatest, but the hoods are inadequate and the labs stink of noxious chemical fumes. Management is more concerned with the bottom line than the well-being of their chemists. Don't expect pay raises or bonuses. Management tends to give negative performance reviews, emphasizing your "bad" qualities/results and deemphasizing your good qualities/results. They do this (I assume) so it is easier to fire someone if need be without repercussions. Overall, a demoralizing environment to work in. Avoid like the plague.

Advice to Management

Get out of the business and spare your chemists.

Brevard, great place to live but the job sucks

I have been working at Pharmagra

Pros

The company gets lots of contract work and may do well during a recession. The work is very varied. I have probably learnt more chemistry in the last year than I did in my entire time at graduate school. Brevard is a beautiful place to live, up in the mountains and forest of the southern Appalachians.

Cons

no pay rises, no benefits, workers are treated in an off-hand manner. Project management is rather poor. To minimize a quote for a project only the very minimum of time is allocated for a project. The poor scientist who then gets the project is brutaly pushed to make the unrealistic deadline. This results in working late and weekends for the staff.

Advice to Management

Get your project management right! Do not assume every chemical step will work, alow time for development work and accept that wage costs just have to increase with increasing inflation.

RSS Feed </> Embed