Phase One Consulting Group

Jerad Speigel
1 Rating

Love my team!

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest and most talented group of people I have worked with. I have a great client that really appreciates out-of-the box ideas and my manager encourages me to think strategically. I definitely feel like we are making a difference and not just “showing up”.

Cons

Spend most of my time at a client site. I would like more opportunities to meet other teams.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

I have been with Phase One for two years or so, and I have seen a huge change in this company. When I first started here, I was lost, always trying to figure out what exactly what was going on, and never given clear direction. It was very hard for me to acclimate and I was becoming increasingly more frustrated with management and their lack of long-term vision.

There has been a few organizational changes, a few cuts made that were extremely necessary, and the CEO that came in and pretty much stopped the bleeding. Now, even though the stress is still very high, I feel like Phase One is moving in the right direction. There are starting to implement a lot of policy changes, training, and overall realizing that their employees really do matter. They are starting to realize that BD and proposal support is extremely necessary, which takes the burden off of the delivery side, and makes us better focus on what we are supposed to do.

The culture is fast-paced, but also very fun. Sport events, happy hours, and team events are always happening, Younger more diverse crowd.

Cons

Management is a huge con here. The directors are off running their own mini Phase One businesses with little to no care about Phase One as a whole. Most are not ready for the type of responsibility given to them and it often shows. There is little direction given to their AO's, Lead associates, or engagement leaders. People in mid-tier often leave because they are stuck doing the "grunt" work with no hope of advancement. Associate Directors for the most part are disgruntled and are often getting the brunt of the blame.

Essentially, too many Queen Bees and not enough workers. Everyone wants to lead and direct, but when it comes to doing actual work, there is a huge piece missing. Complaining and finger pointing will get you nowhere.

Make the organization more flat, giving more people the right to speak up and offer opinions. Training, while getting better, could be more accessible for people in the field. Most of these are mid-week.

Incentives to working on proposals.

Advancement and overworking is the biggest reason we cannot keep staff, offer title bumps (associate to lead associate) and bonus' more often.

Find a way to fix the PO/AO discrepancies spoken about above.

It's as bad as everyone says

Former Employee - Consultant  in  Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn how shrewd rich execs can be at keeping a ship sailing by adding new crew members at a rate equal to old ones jumping off the ship

Cons

Bipolar leaders
    No real upward mobility

Get some therapy or life coaching

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Does Phase One have an Identity...Or Future?

Current Employee - Lead Associate  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

A lot of talented people that provide an excellent source of knowledge. Some excellent managers.

Cons

Talent at this company is held back by senior "leadership" and this results in problems that cascade throughout the company. Although they are smart, they don't work together. Yelling like maniacs makes THEM feel better but does NOT get better results. This company is begging for a vision (1 vision and not 4!)...ironic for a management consulting company to struggle with the basics.

It should be important to everyone to build the business. This company expects a lot, wins little (see above for why), and just keeps doing the (downward trending) status-quo. They used to have a great reputation for IT strategy and innovation but now the only innovation demonstrated is a high degree of dysfunction.

If you're a junior employee, you will (likely) be stuck working for someone who does not know what they are doing (likely related to profit margins) and has little to teach you yet tasks you without hesitation. Their senior leadership is likely mad at them about how they have no idea how to manage you and you (after poor management) work too much with no fruit of your labors. An awful cycle that the partners -- and perhaps everyone at the company -- buffers themselves from.

(1) figure out HOW you want to measure people -- be honest to yourselves;
    (2) tell people how they will be measured; and
    (3) be honest about what you told people in #1 and #2 and give them feedback on that (and not things you pulled out of your rear end...)

Director

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Growing well connected company in the DC Area, one of the partners is brilliant yet volatile. They understand the challenges of government executives and can design effective strategies. As an organization they know how to get things done and are willing to stretch to achieve goals for both the company and the customer.

Cons

Long hours, lack of appreciation for skills outside of standard management consulting, and they don't listen well. Also they have a tendency to downplay failures and trumpet success. I did not see a willingness to learn from mistakes.

Listen to your employees, don't take shortcuts. Try better to understand your market and focus on doing what you do well. Be careful about new areas of expertise and fixed price contracts.

Great people, but hard if you are at a client site most of the time.

Current Employee - Associate  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA

Pros

The small company feel is great, if you are lucky enough to work at HQ than you have access to the partners and many of the directors, and they will know you on a first name basis. The small size also makes higher ups easily accessible if you have ideas, problems, etc.

The majority of the people are energetic, enthusiastic, and fantastic to work with. The employees are definitely the company's best asset.

Cons

Many of the meetings, including training as well as meetings for proposals and working groups - in which employees are expected to participate - are at inconvenient times (and locations) for those employees who are working a client site.
    There is little incentive or reward for doing proposals or extra work that contributes to the company.
    If you are offsite, particularly in a small group, you feel disconnected from the company.

Great company, if you are interested in management consulting for the Federal Government

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun environment, smart colleagues and even smarter owners, kegerator in the office. Most employees and the owners are incredibly passionate about consulting for the Federal Government (this could also be a con if you aren't interested in it). Good pay for consulting.

Cons

Small teams are often in a silo from Phase One. Most employees and the owners are incredibly passionate about consulting for the Federal Government (this could also be a proif you are interested in it). Benefits aren't all that great (not a lot of PTO, poor 401k matching, expensive health insurance compared to other companies). Oh, and very small rewards for helping with proposal work, which is a major expectation.

Give more power to hire and fire to the people managing accounts. With such a high expectation that people will work on proposals, there needs to be a bigger and clearly articulated reward for helping with proposals - especially if they win. There's not a lot of incentive to spend countless nights and weekends working on a proposal, above and beyond 40 billable hours a week.

Government consulting for peak performers

Current Employee - Lead Associate  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Alexandria, VA

Pros

Leadership is committed to recruiting and retaining talented professionals, a rare commodity in government consulting

Young at heart company culture that rewards working and playing hard

Leadership that is willing to take a chance on forward thinkers that are passionate about their respective areas of expertise

Opportunities to work across a wide range of disciplines, without having to work in a massive company where you are just a number

Leadership opportunities for people that are willing to step up and lead, regardless of their age or experience

Direct correlation between results and reward driven by five generous partners and their leadership team that are personally vested in growing without sacrificing culture

Cons

A few staff members that do just enough to get by and form a sense of entitlement - most government "consulting" firms are filled with these types, however there tends to be more contrast at Phase One.

Team cultures can vary from one client site to another.

Please stand by your commitment to continue to invest in growing this exceptional family that I am proud to be a part of.

A Sinking Ship that will Pull Your Career and Personal Life Down with it

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Alexandria, VA

Pros

-Keg in the breakroom
    -Occasional catered food in breakroom

Cons

-Lack of good leadership
    -Management is full of inexperienced people who try to pass blame onto subordinates when problems occur
    -Employee turnover is extremely high (5 CFO's in the past 2 years)
    -Empty promises of career growth
    -No raise in 2 years of working at the company
    -Partners and Directors are oblivious to what's actually going on and are not open to new ideas, preventing growth
    -The employees who have lasted the longest are either family or friends of the partners, and they hardly are ever working (they joke about how they don't ever do work and take naps in the parking garage) yet they are highly paid.

Ironically you are paid to consult other's in how to improve their businesses, however it is phase one that needs the improvement.

Good company for growth

Pros

- Growing company with still a small company feel
    - Company is well diversified across multiple Federal agencies
    - Investments in employees and employee programs is increasing

Cons

- Need to allow for more junior roles

Keep investing in mid-level employees so that they can be the future leaders. Communicate our wins more frequently help encourage more cross-project collaboration.

Worked for Phase One Consulting Group? Contribute to the Community!