Phase One Consulting Group Reviews

1. working

Former Employee - Business Analyst
    Former Employee - Business Analyst

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group

Pros

proprietary software, rich educational database and case studies. fair monetary rewards and social events

Cons

not interested to built long term employee relationships, workload has extreme volatility and uncertainty in continuity

Advice to Management

to do more industry research and networking, than internal politics

2. QA Analyst

Former Employee - QA Analyst in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group

Pros

Good colleagues. I don't know what else to tell you.

Cons

It seems to me all the APHIS managers are friends if you're not in that circle..... All I can tell you about is GOOD LUCK.

Advice to Management

N/A

Smart colleagues, smart company

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've really enjoyed everyone that I work with. The management team is readily available and they seem to be genuinely interested in the welfare of the staff. It's a fun environment and the emphasis is very clearly on the product, not how long you are in your chair.

Cons

The training allotment is a little low, most companies are offering $5300, POCG only offers $1200.

5. Love my team!

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Some of the smartest and most talented group of people I have worked with. I have a great client that really appreciates out-of-the box ideas and my manager encourages me to think strategically. I definitely feel like we are making a difference and not just “showing up”.

Cons

Spend most of my time at a client site. I would like more opportunities to meet other teams.

Getting Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Phase One for two years or so, and I have seen a huge change in this company. When I first started here, I was lost, always trying to figure out what exactly what was going on, and never given clear direction. It was very hard for me to acclimate and I was becoming increasingly more frustrated with management and their lack of long-term vision.

There has been a few organizational changes, a few cuts made that were extremely necessary, and the CEO that came in and pretty much stopped the bleeding. Now, even though the stress is still very high, I feel like Phase One is moving in the right direction. There are starting to implement a lot of policy changes, training, and overall realizing that their employees really do matter. They are starting to realize that BD and proposal support is extremely necessary, which takes the burden off of the delivery side, and makes us better focus on what we are supposed to do.

The culture is fast-paced, but also very fun. Sport events, happy hours, and team events are always happening, Younger more diverse crowd.

Cons

Management is a huge con here. The directors are off running their own mini Phase One businesses with little to no care about Phase One as a whole. Most are not ready for the type of responsibility given to them and it often shows. There is little direction given to their AO's, Lead associates, or engagement leaders. People in mid-tier often leave because they are stuck doing the "grunt" work with no hope of advancement. Associate Directors for the most part are disgruntled and are often getting the brunt of the blame.

Essentially, too many Queen Bees and not enough workers. Everyone wants to lead and direct, but when it comes to doing actual work, there is a huge piece missing. Complaining and finger pointing will get you nowhere.

Advice to Management

Make the organization more flat, giving more people the right to speak up and offer opinions. Training, while getting better, could be more accessible for people in the field. Most of these are mid-week.

Incentives to working on proposals.

Advancement and overworking is the biggest reason we cannot keep staff, offer title bumps (associate to lead associate) and bonus' more often.

Find a way to fix the PO/AO discrepancies spoken about above.

It's as bad as everyone says

Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn how shrewd rich execs can be at keeping a ship sailing by adding new crew members at a rate equal to old ones jumping off the ship

Cons

Bipolar leaders
    No real upward mobility

Advice to Management

Get some therapy or life coaching

Does Phase One have an Identity...Or Future?

Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Associate in Washington, DC

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of talented people that provide an excellent source of knowledge. Some excellent managers.

Cons

Talent at this company is held back by senior "leadership" and this results in problems that cascade throughout the company. Although they are smart, they don't work together. Yelling like maniacs makes THEM feel better but does NOT get better results. This company is begging for a vision (1 vision and not 4!)...ironic for a management consulting company to struggle with the basics.

It should be important to everyone to build the business. This company expects a lot, wins little (see above for why), and just keeps doing the (downward trending) status-quo. They used to have a great reputation for IT strategy and innovation but now the only innovation demonstrated is a high degree of dysfunction.

If you're a junior employee, you will (likely) be stuck working for someone who does not know what they are doing (likely related to profit margins) and has little to teach you yet tasks you without hesitation. Their senior leadership is likely mad at them about how they have no idea how to manage you and you (after poor management) work too much with no fruit of your labors. An awful cycle that the partners -- and perhaps everyone at the company -- buffers themselves from.

Advice to Management

(1) figure out HOW you want to measure people -- be honest to yourselves;
    (2) tell people how they will be measured; and
    (3) be honest about what you told people in #1 and #2 and give them feedback on that (and not things you pulled out of your rear end...)

9. Director

I worked at Phase One Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Growing well connected company in the DC Area, one of the partners is brilliant yet volatile. They understand the challenges of government executives and can design effective strategies. As an organization they know how to get things done and are willing to stretch to achieve goals for both the company and the customer.

Cons

Long hours, lack of appreciation for skills outside of standard management consulting, and they don't listen well. Also they have a tendency to downplay failures and trumpet success. I did not see a willingness to learn from mistakes.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, don't take shortcuts. Try better to understand your market and focus on doing what you do well. Be careful about new areas of expertise and fixed price contracts.

10. Great people, but hard if you are at a client site most of the time.

Current Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Associate in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The small company feel is great, if you are lucky enough to work at HQ than you have access to the partners and many of the directors, and they will know you on a first name basis. The small size also makes higher ups easily accessible if you have ideas, problems, etc.

The majority of the people are energetic, enthusiastic, and fantastic to work with. The employees are definitely the company's best asset.

Cons

Many of the meetings, including training as well as meetings for proposals and working groups - in which employees are expected to participate - are at inconvenient times (and locations) for those employees who are working a client site.
    There is little incentive or reward for doing proposals or extra work that contributes to the company.
    If you are offsite, particularly in a small group, you feel disconnected from the company.

11. Great company, if you are interested in management consulting for the Federal Government

I have been working at Phase One Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun environment, smart colleagues and even smarter owners, kegerator in the office. Most employees and the owners are incredibly passionate about consulting for the Federal Government (this could also be a con if you aren't interested in it). Good pay for consulting.

Cons

Small teams are often in a silo from Phase One. Most employees and the owners are incredibly passionate about consulting for the Federal Government (this could also be a proif you are interested in it). Benefits aren't all that great (not a lot of PTO, poor 401k matching, expensive health insurance compared to other companies). Oh, and very small rewards for helping with proposal work, which is a major expectation.

Advice to Management

Give more power to hire and fire to the people managing accounts. With such a high expectation that people will work on proposals, there needs to be a bigger and clearly articulated reward for helping with proposals - especially if they win. There's not a lot of incentive to spend countless nights and weekends working on a proposal, above and beyond 40 billable hours a week.

Phase One Consulting Group Photos