Phase2 Technology
www.phase2technology.com Alexandria, VA 50 to 149 Employees

Phase2 Technology Reviews

Jeff Walpole

Interesting work and strong focus on employee satisfaction and development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI really enjoyed the time I spent at Phase2. I had opportunities to work on lots of different types of client projects from custom applications to content management systems, and wore a lot of hats while doing it. The people there are really bright and dedicated to the company and helping their client succeed. The office space is fantastic and they have put a set of tools and policies in place to support working remotely as needed.

ConsRole-specific onboarding processes could be improved a bit, but I think that's a challenge that all companies face.

Great people, good direction, needs some oiling

Pros- Great people: smart, passionate, knowledgeable, friendly.
    - Good outlook: Phase2 is succeeding, growing fast, doing important work, and looks like that'll keep going
    - Interesting work: they have some interesting and high-profile clients, and projects tend to be on the bigger and more complex side

Cons- Experiencing growing pains and lack of defined structure. They're working on it, but it can make work a bit more frustrating
    - Workflow between clients, PMs, and developers is not great. There's confusion about those channels of communication and that can make it more difficult for all involved.

Phase2 technology is a great place to work. The whole team makes it worth coming to work every day

Human Resources (Current Employee)
    Alexandria, VA

ProsThe people here are the biggest pro, the team is filled with highly intelligent people that both work hard and play hard. The benefits are great and the compensation is within expectations.

ConsCommute is a little rough, but that's my choice.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An amazing place to work

Alexandria, VA

ProsPeople are very smart. Projects are challenging. The culture is very healthy with a serious focus on developing new skills/talents and professional development. Lots of amazing work created.

ConsIs in growth mode so lots in flux. Timely performance reviews are a weak spot.

You don't see the warts until you get here

ProsPeople are nice. Free unhealthy snacks. Air conditioning, nice balconies (but they need non-broken furniture). Lax dress code. Great place if all you want to do is Drupal work.

ConsMajor identity issues. Management specializes in disaster driven development. Jumps to every beck and call of high end clients. PMs and upper management dont protect their employees. Developers are always the fall guys. Company wears Drupal blinders. Always promises new interesting opportunities, but falls short. Lack of mobile expertise & opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementProtect your employees. Stop coveting the client over your people. It's obvious.

Great for developers, terrible for managers

(Former Employee)

ProsDevelopers get to wear flip flops and are given a lot of free rein to contribute and complete assignments and most rarely work more than 45 hours a week. Perks are awesome if that's important to you.

ConsThe firm's partners micromanage and create lots of strife within management. You are often told exactly how the CEO wants things and independent thought is discouraged. You are only as successful as your latest failure. Management is slow to make decisions. Ethics are questionable. Backstabbing is commonplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet people do their jobs.

Only the best make it.

ProsGreat people, solid management, great clients. Technical team is second to none building complex Drupal systems that link to legacy back-end systems. Clients have included whitehouse.gov, dhs.gov, fema.gov, energy.gov, house of representatives, Georgia, AP, Reuters, Estee, Zagats, NYSE and a host of major players. Compensation is very solid. Great work / life balance.

ConsIt is an open source oriented Drupal and custom app shop. Very, very strenuous interview process to only find the best. This involves an HR phone screen, then a technical phone screen, then a technical challenge, then an on-site interview. With a lack of qualified Drupal developers out there with mission critical development skills capable of serving the worlds leading organizations, most applicants don't make the grade. Phase2 only takes the best. But, if you know Drupal, PHP and other skills, do apply. PHP experience is the best precursor to achieving Drupal expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement provides many perks to the employees from a complete and massive benefits plan, stock options, in house catered lunches several times a week, a full kitchen loaded with all the snacks, fruit, soda, juices, coffee, tea etc. and it allows employees to contribute to the open source distros it maintains. There is a flex environment allowing remote activity and wfh sessions. Advice is to keep doing what your doing - open source enterprise level work. You'll continue to attract the best.

Worked for Phase2 Technology? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Phase2 Technology reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Phase2 Technology CEO Jeff Walpole. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Phase2 Technology employees.