Pheaa

Be The First To
Add Photos

James L. Preston

Good job if you're truly a Cust Svc phone person

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pheaa

ProsSteady pay, ability to work OT at times, benefits after transitioning to the more permanent side of things,

ConsAlthough you're on a team, b/c you must all cover phones you'll go on breaks and to lunch w/o your team members, it's one customer after another on the phone and you hare expected to have everything resolved and notated in the account while keeping your "talk time" numbers down. Constant threat of losing your job if your numbers aren't good or if you are not complying with company cust. svc requirements (that change often).

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees more like people and less like numbers. Sometimes the people giving out the best customer service are threatened with being let go for taking too long to listen to the client on the phone to find the best resolution for that case.

Good

Data Entry (Former Employee)
Harrisburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa part-time for more than a year

ProsPay was very good and Company was great to work for I wanted at that time just a part time job in the evening. Enjoy working putting information into computer and I like my co-worker around me.

ConsNothing I can think about I wish I could stay longer . I suppose back after my 6 weeks maternity leave but I could not we had two children so I quit.

Horrible.

Loan Counselor (Former Employee)
Greentree, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time for less than a year

ProsThe best reasons to work there was learning about student loans and how they work. The different loans and percentages and learning all about student debt was worth the time working there.

ConsYou couldn't even use the bathroom without being verbally warned if you were a minute late coming back. Management was just terrible, lacked compassion. While working there, employees were leaving/dropping like flies.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more compassionate.

Terrible company to work for, Pittsburgh office is a joke.Fire management and start over again, I would not recommend

Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Pheaa full-time for more than a year

ProsNo pros other than a paycheck, the people you meet and become friends with in the training classes

Consthey look for ways to get you fired,no real way to become a state employee. Pittsburgh office is a real joke, you feel like a machine

Advice to Senior ManagementClose the Pittsburgh Center Fire all the managers and start again. You need to investigate that office. You need honest managers.

No clear path to move up...

I have been working at Pheaa full-time for more than a year

ProsPHEAA offers a competitive salary and I love working there. They are closed on state holidays which makes it great around Christmas and the new year. There is an open door policy and management is easy going.

ConsThere is no clear path to move up in the company. Nobody knows how people get picked for promotions. Many individuals who would make excellent candidates for the many open positions end up leaving out of frustration. Certain jobs tie you down and makes you stuck where you are for a long time. It also takes a long time to get good benefits because you have to apply for a state position.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen someone says they are interested in a certain position, tell them how to get there!

Not bad, but not if you can get something better.

Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Pheaa full-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay is OK for an entry-level call-center job and you are given most of the training necessary to do the job. There are some opportunities to move up or around, and the opportunity to move into a salaried state job with benefits is there as well.

ConsUnfortunately, the job comes with a lot of pressure. You are rated on your ability to get as many borrowers current and off the phone as possible while maintaining the fantasy that the borrower's issue will be resolved on the one call. Promotions are often given on the basis of longevity, not on any qualifications, and these promotions are not always predictable. (It also makes it The work schedule of 12 or 12:30 to 9 p.m. is convenient for some things, but it can be very difficult if you have a family, and there must be openings if you want a schedule change; you lose the shift differential, as well, so you have to take a pay cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementNegotiate a better union contract such that all call-center employees will be given a salaried position with benefits after, say, 12 months; there is no reason why someone should have to hang
around for multiple years waiting for this position to be posted. Allow employees to keep the shift differential as a raise if they move into a daylight shift after, say, six months. And make up your mind about whether you want faster call times or real resolution.

A job, not a career

Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Pheaa full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing/Leaving the office every night

ConsDon't get on the bad side of management. They will use small excuses to terminate you. Inter agency interviews are less about finding candidates for the promotion and more about finding disgruntled employees to fire.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop obsessing over profit margins, and you won't have to hire twenty new people every month. Refocus the asset maintenance department on quality over numbers and money.

Had its ups and downs

Customer Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Pheaa part-time

ProsMake your own schedule
pay is great for a college student
as a student i learned ALOT about loans which helped me when i graduated from college

Conssitting at a desk all day
customer service can get out of hand
meeting quota was annoying
too repetitive for me.. i like new challenges things that make time go by since its a lot of work but at PHEAA its not a lot of challenges

Advice to Senior Managementsome cared others didn't people knew who to go to for help.. my supervisor didn't even know me, the program director new me better

Motto is "One call resolution" but are evaluated on your ability to keep each call to 7-8 minutes..Kind of contradictory

Customer Service (Former Employee)
State College, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time for less than a year

ProsCo-workers are very friendly and supportive

ConsThe clock rules the workplace. Rated on length of call, in between call time (where you make the majority of your notations about the call), # of calls/day, hold-time, and random grading of calls. Goals are obtainable;however, are at the cost of giving incomplete information to the student borrower.

Advice to Senior ManagementGoals are not consistent with desired outcome. Based on experience (and speaking with other employees), over 70% of borrowers do NOT KNOW they can make payments while still in school. About 80% think that NO INTEREST is accruing on their loans while in school (of those with unsubsidized loans). 95% know nothing about the payment within 120 days of disbursement rule. How can adequate customer service be given in under 7 minutes if there is this degree of ignorance among borrowers??

My experience with this employer was disappointing

Loan Counselor (Former Employee)
Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Pheaa full-time for more than a year

ProsThe money was decent, if you were right out of high school. It is a desk job, and you don't have to share your workspace. You do learn a great deal about federally funded school loans, which is knowledge that is valuable to have if you are just starting college.

ConsNot enough training for the quality experience they expect you to create.
The hours are terrible. 12:30-9pm is the standard "starter schedule"
They promise you state benefits when you interview, and then you find out once you are out of training that you actually have to apply for them, and it takes more like 2 years to get them.
The employees there are equivalent to high school girls. There is more drama there than there is on Maury. Some of the supervisors we newer to the company than I was, and couldn't answer a question in less than 20 minutes and without contacting someone more experienced.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement really needs to give credit where credit is do, and not praising and promoting people that do not uphold company standards.

Worked for Pheaa? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pheaa reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Pheaa CEO James L. Preston. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Pheaa employees.