Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014
1.9

Larry Phelan

Laid back, but very petty and high-schoolish with management

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Okay pay
    Work is simple
    No Micromanaging

Cons

Supervisor will lie on you and is believed because firm manager is close friend.
    Will not work with your schedule, even though others have flexible schedules.
    No pay increases, even though you are provided a review.

Morale booster is needed.

Why are the FEDs not looking at this firm

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are absolutely no Pros for working for this company. Run as fast as you can away from this company.

Cons

Too many cons to mention, but I will highlight a few. Management is only interested in their paycheck, supervisors are a laughable joke as they have no experience. "paralegals" are nothing more than gloried typists and no nothing about the law, of course neither do the attorneys. If you actually know the law and how to do your job, you are seen as a threat and "laid off". Sexual harassment and hostile work environment. I witnessed employees screamed at and berated by their superiors and management.

Get a good lawyer for when the Feds start looking at the fraudulent and illegal way you do business.

Legal Assistant

Current Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for more than a year

Pros

No experience needed. Laid back office environment. Good benefits. Free catered lunch first Tuesday of every month.

Cons

Absolutely no room for growth. No pay increases as promised. Low salary. No training opportunities

Compensate your long term employees better and offer perks.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DO NOT WORK HERE

Current Employee - NONE  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - NONE in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Low pay. Worked to death. Management constantly threatens to fire you as a management technique to try and motivate people to do more work even though they are already working you to death. You are always in constant fear you will be let go no matter how hard you work. Sick place to work.

Stop treating people like crap.

It is what it is

Current Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hours, work-life balance. You don't need to take work home with you.

Cons

Company policies are stuck in the 90's. Way too many silly rules, I feel like I'm in middle school again. It's also a bit dysfunctional.

Look at your department managers, and then ask yourself why they are managers. Some of them shouldn't be.

Out of the 5 companies I worked for in my career, this is the worst.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for less than a year

Pros

The job is in Center City Philadelphia. The location is great, and an easy commute if you take public transportation, even out of state.

Cons

It's all cons. They have weird rules like not using your cell phone and really strict dress code (prepare to buy new clothes even if you look professional). They work you to the bone if you are on salary, and you get nothing in return but unprofessional behavior from management. They treat employees like children, not like real people.

The culture is bad. Anybody that is actually good at what they do will find a better job. Once you can change this, you will find the reviews of this company to be more favorable. Good luck.

My blood runs cold and I shudder when I hear the firm name anymore.

Former Employee - Legal Assistant
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are quite a few decent people who work here. Most of the lawyers are young and enjoyable to work with/easy to get along with. You will bond with your coworkers and help each other overcome the horrors that you will all endure otherwise so it's nice to have a somewhat family environment. There is also usually a great selection of free k-cup coffee. Take advantage of this perk as it will probably be the only highlight of your day. That's about it.

Cons

Training is atrocious. Be prepared to learn as you go and pray you catch on quick. Sometimes the work environment can be completely inappropriate and unprofessional (it can get quite loud and heated at times from both staff and attorneys). There are insane waves of layoffs that will happen on any given day, any time of the year and are backed up by ludicrous lectures from upper management that will leave you in pure disbelief. My advice to survive these layoffs is to start off strong and work as hard as you can your first year to be noticed and recognized by your supervisor (otherwise you have a good chance of facing the axe). Be prepared for absolutely no structure and constant changes (they love to move people from department to department for no real reason). Most importantly, don't expect any of your concerns or opinions to matter. Management will not care and are only interested in investing more money into firm expansion and/or another private jet or something while you're still struggling to move out of your parents' house. The folks in charge are just straight up greedy (and let's be honest, this should come as no surprise as the whole purpose of the firm is to take the homes of the struggling poor families of the country).

I have to admit that you are smart businessmen for getting away with the unethical operation of your firm. So more power to you I guess. I certainly don't agree with it, but who are we kidding here?.....you certainly don't care about what your employees think.

Do not work here. Seriously. Begging for change on the corner would be better.

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time

Pros

Really there are none. Maybe the benefits.

Cons

To many to name. They want you chained to your desk burning and churning files, you are basically on a hamster wheel. If your performance intimidates anyone they will find a way to terminate you. No one ever knows whats going on. People who have been there for years complain about how crappy it is to work there.

Take your heads out of your asses.

If you have something better on the horizon take it

Former Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant in Phila, PA

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits, hours, on site gym, easy job

Cons

No organization, supervisors are not very intelligent on a power trip, Lawyers that work there are incompetent and right out of law school. If your lucky to get an interview you just need to have a pulse to get hired. A lot of cheer leading going on there. Like 5 uneeded HR people, lots of favoritism and nepotism. No one really cares, you speak up you will get fired or laid offf.

No helping these guys, crying poor if they only knew what it was like to struggle in life

Short 'n sweet

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great entry-level position on paper, full benefits (medical/dental/vision programs), many office amenities (atm, gym, break rooms)

Cons

The complete, and utter lack of organization. Training was ridiculously obtuse, and unhelpful. (I was handed a packet of several hundred pages, and was told, "I'd figure it out.") Their IT department is extremely weak, and as the training/job was based off of remote connections with other states, it got very frustrating trying to get simple questions answered. They undercut hours, and over-hired employees.

Take a look at your training programs and hire some IT people who understand how to set up a wifi network.

Worked for Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg? Contribute to the Community!