Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg

Add Photos

Larry Phelan

Legal Assistant

Atlanta, GA

ProsNo experience needed. Laid back office environment. Good benefits. Free catered lunch first Tuesday of every month.

ConsAbsolutely no room for growth. No pay increases as promised. Low salary. No training opportunities

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your long term employees better and offer perks.

DO NOT WORK HERE

NONE (Current Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsNone that I can think of.

ConsLow pay. Worked to death. Management constantly threatens to fire you as a management technique to try and motivate people to do more work even though they are already working you to death. You are always in constant fear you will be let go no matter how hard you work. Sick place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating people like crap.

It is what it is

Philadelphia, PA

ProsHours, work-life balance. You don't need to take work home with you.

ConsCompany policies are stuck in the 90's. Way too many silly rules, I feel like I'm in middle school again. It's also a bit dysfunctional.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your department managers, and then ask yourself why they are managers. Some of them shouldn't be.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Out of the 5 companies I worked for in my career, this is the worst.

(Former Employee)
    Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe job is in Center City Philadelphia. The location is great, and an easy commute if you take public transportation, even out of state.

ConsIt's all cons. They have weird rules like not using your cell phone and really strict dress code (prepare to buy new clothes even if you look professional). They work you to the bone if you are on salary, and you get nothing in return but unprofessional behavior from management. They treat employees like children, not like real people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture is bad. Anybody that is actually good at what they do will find a better job. Once you can change this, you will find the reviews of this company to be more favorable. Good luck.

My blood runs cold and I shudder when I hear the firm name anymore.

Legal Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsThere are quite a few decent people who work here. Most of the lawyers are young and enjoyable to work with/easy to get along with. You will bond with your coworkers and help each other overcome the horrors that you will all endure otherwise so it's nice to have a somewhat family environment. There is also usually a great selection of free k-cup coffee. Take advantage of this perk as it will probably be the only highlight of your day. That's about it.

ConsTraining is atrocious. Be prepared to learn as you go and pray you catch on quick. Sometimes the work environment can be completely inappropriate and unprofessional (it can get quite loud and heated at times from both staff and attorneys). There are insane waves of layoffs that will happen on any given day, any time of the year and are backed up by ludicrous lectures from upper management that will leave you in pure disbelief. My advice to survive these layoffs is to start off strong and work as hard as you can your first year to be noticed and recognized by your supervisor (otherwise you have a good chance of facing the axe). Be prepared for absolutely no structure and constant changes (they love to move people from department to department for no real reason). Most importantly, don't expect any of your concerns or opinions to matter. Management will not care and are only interested in investing more money into firm expansion and/or another private jet or something while you're still struggling to move out of your parents' house. The folks in charge are just straight up greedy (and let's be honest, this should come as no surprise as the whole purpose of the firm is to take the homes of the struggling poor families of the country).

Advice to Senior ManagementI have to admit that you are smart businessmen for getting away with the unethical operation of your firm. So more power to you I guess. I certainly don't agree with it, but who are we kidding here?.....you certainly don't care about what your employees think.

Do not work here. Seriously. Begging for change on the corner would be better.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsReally there are none. Maybe the benefits.

ConsTo many to name. They want you chained to your desk burning and churning files, you are basically on a hamster wheel. If your performance intimidates anyone they will find a way to terminate you. No one ever knows whats going on. People who have been there for years complain about how crappy it is to work there.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake your heads out of your asses.

If you have something better on the horizon take it

Legal Assistant (Former Employee)
    Phila, PA

ProsBenefits, hours, on site gym, easy job

ConsNo organization, supervisors are not very intelligent on a power trip, Lawyers that work there are incompetent and right out of law school. If your lucky to get an interview you just need to have a pulse to get hired. A lot of cheer leading going on there. Like 5 uneeded HR people, lots of favoritism and nepotism. No one really cares, you speak up you will get fired or laid offf.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo helping these guys, crying poor if they only knew what it was like to struggle in life

Short 'n sweet

Paralegal (Former Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat entry-level position on paper, full benefits (medical/dental/vision programs), many office amenities (atm, gym, break rooms)

ConsThe complete, and utter lack of organization. Training was ridiculously obtuse, and unhelpful. (I was handed a packet of several hundred pages, and was told, "I'd figure it out.") Their IT department is extremely weak, and as the training/job was based off of remote connections with other states, it got very frustrating trying to get simple questions answered. They undercut hours, and over-hired employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at your training programs and hire some IT people who understand how to set up a wifi network.

NO job security

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay, your co workers are amazing.
    The benefits are great.

ConsZero job training, and a lack of job security. Why would you hire new employees only to lay them off a few weeks later.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not hire someone unless you know you can afford to keep them longer then a few weeks. It creates an unprofessional working environment when the staff is in constant fear of there jobs.

Not reliable

Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsGreat benefits, a lots of PTOs

ConsDespite the owners' promising employees robust growth and implied job security, the employees were instead forced to bear witness to, or become victims of, massive and unrelenting waves of lay offs. Between the waves were false reassurances that the company was in great shape, blaming the alleged need for "rightsizing" on client delays, instead of taking ownership for their aggressive spending and over expansion. Regardless of whether or not the client delays are to blame, if the company remains in tremendous shape as reported, why not consider the lives of those you hired and then fired before pocketing a few pennies in the whole scheme of things?

Furthermore, there is often favoritism towards employees from the coveted PA office and management believes that anything can be outsourced to PA.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave you consider a heart transplant...

Worked for Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg CEO Larry Phelan. All 21 reviews posted anonymously by Phelan Hallinan & Schmieg employees.