Philadelphia 76ers Reviews

2.8
Chris Wallace

1. Pretty good, nothing to complain about

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers

Pros

The organization does great work behind the scenes that people don't see. Good people, good work

Cons

Nothing too much to complain about overall. Good people, good work

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

2. sales and service

I have been working at Philadelphia 76ers full-time

Pros

As is with any sales job you get what you put into it. The harder you work, the better you chances are to get out of the entry level role.

Cons

Long hours and low pay buts it's what's common in the industry.

Advice to Management

I wish we weren't required to be at every single event. Sometimes our time is better spent in the office

Springboard for your career

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I spent a year selling with the Philadelphia 76ers as a Sales Associate and I am going to give you, the reader, my personal opinions. I was fortunate to continue my career in a senior level sales role with another sports organization. Since my time in the new organization, I have come to truly appreciate my time in Philadelphia. You will find the managers will provide some of the best sales training in the business. They will expect a lot out of you, they will en-grain in you the importance of the sales process. You will appreciate this once you move into your next role because you will realize you will be one-two steps ahead of everyone else. They train you to be a professional. You will have a strict dress code. I grew up in private school so this was an easy adjustment for me. This will go far because once you move into the next role of your career you realize how importance appearances are. Like it or not, it matters and it's not changing. They train you well to dress for the part and the importance of a positive attitude. When you make the jump to the next step in your career you will appreciate this aspect to professional development management provides. They encourage creativity and do not inhibit your process. They endorse any idea you might have and provide great insight. It is up to you to have follow through, but they are always there as resources. They let you do what you want. If you want to put on a Robotics night or a Comic themed night they will have your back and provide you what you need. An organization that encourages creativity is important in an entry level sales role because this allows you to develop your skills and make your mark. At the end of the day, they provide the best sales training, professional development training and offer the best opportunity to make your mark and be creative. There is not too much more you can ask for. The biggest challenge I saw most Sales Associates have was the overall adjustment from school to the real world. We are a generation that has an "instant gratification" mindset. In the business world, that is a good and bad thing. People think they should be promoted faster based on only a short period of success. They promote when they feel you have shown enough consistency. Being promoted in the first 7-9 months of any job, in any industry, is just not realistic. Expect to be promoted in 10-16 months. You work in sports. You're not going to make the money your peers make in other industries. Eventually, as you rise in the industry you get paid. This is how every other industry works too. Get used to it, it's not changing anytime soon. With that said, you sell a really cool product and your job is way cooler than your friends. Yes, selling the 76ers has its challenges but nothing will ever be more challenging. When you sell, it is very rewarding. I had the mindset where I embraced the challenge. If you don't embrace the challenge you will not succeed at any point in life. Embrace the challenge, challenge yourself, and you will find success. Working in sports also requires a lot of time. If you are not willing to commit to the job and the time, there is no future for you in the industry. The 76ers want to hire individuals that have a dream and a vision. You will have to make sacrifices, but they will be worth it when you make the next step. Like anything else, if you do not dedicate yourself, you will not succeed. The most important part about starting with the 76ers is 9/10 people do not have significant sales experience. If you want to be promoted, dedicate yourself to the process and the organization. They will work with you and help you if you truly dedicate yourself. Too many times I saw Sales Associates just give up and quit. They end up moving out of the industry and being miserable. Nothing in life comes fast, understand your career is a marathon. When you make the next step in your career, you will realize this. In any industry, the only people that move up quickly are dedicated professionals who have shown success. Dedicate yourself and you can have success. Best decision I ever made was to start my career with the 76ers. Embrace the challenge and your next step will be much easier. I promise you. I have moved on to a senior level role with another company and I believe I can offer an honest opinion because I have a better understanding than most. The job is challenging, but the juice is worth the squeeze. I will owe my career to Philadelphia and their management team.

Cons

You have to wear a tie every day. A little outdated to be honest. The snack selections are great if your 10. Candy bars and crackers. very unhealthy. Expect to add 15 pounds and split your grey suite pants at the end of a game because of it. Random meetings that disrupt your day. Please have them more planned. Too many people offer input during large staff meetings. Limit the number of questions and offer people the time to come to you privately with more questions. Meetings never run on time and expect to be away from your desk for a longer period of time than originally scheduled.

Advice to Management

No more ties, less meetings, quicker meetings, healthier snack selections.

5. Sales associate

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers full-time

Pros

Entry level sales experience, entertainment

Cons

No growth, compensation, tough market

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are awesome, it's a fun environment if you don't mind loud noises and random cheering. If you learn how to sell a losing team (37 wins in 2 years) for a leisure product to people with discretionary income, you will learn how to sell anything. Use this as a stepping stone to crush it in another sales industry and make REAL money.

Cons

Where do I begin? Extremely LONG read but this is 100% honest and if you want a TRUE glimpse on what it's like on the inside, read on. Management is TERRIBLE. Their business model consists of hiring fresh out of college grads that are desperate to infiltrate professional sports. The reason why this model is flawed is because they can afford to pay us next to nothing (below minimum wage), brainwash us because we have no real prior work experience, and keep pitching the "dream" of professional sports, much of which is overglamorized. They lie right to your face from the get go. They claim an "average SA (Sales Associate) makes high 30's to low 40's per year". This is a blatant lie. First off, you're paid $16,500 base per year. They claim it's 20k, but "it appears as 16,500 for regular base and 3,500 for overtime (which you'll never get the full amount on). Second off, the best SA's last year only made approximately $10,000 in commission (you don't see a real commission report and don't know if they're cheating you or not). If the best reps only made 10k and your base adds up to 20k, you only max out at 30k. All the numbers I'm using here are generously rounded up, so the real salary is MUCH lower. The managers are all first year managers, with little to no management experience. With that being said, a staff of first year managers running a staff of 70+ SA's isn't the best model for success. Their styles consists of EXTREME micromanagement, with a fixed priority on how many calls you make, how much time you spend on the phone and how many hours you stay in the office past work hours. There is ZERO, I repeat, ZERO, work-life balance. Work hours are 9-530 Monday-Friday. From day one, they suggest getting in before 9 and staying past 530 to "stand out". They even added on an extra 2 hours of work for one week with no real notice ahead of time. If you aren't putting in 60 hours of work a week, you're seen as an underachiever that "doesn't want it bad enough". They claim it's a 60/40 ratio to being successful in this role - 60% is the revenue you bring in and 40% is what you bring to the culture. This is absolute BS since they've refused to promote people who crushed the revenue portion of the job and are great for the culture. They play favoritism and promote who they want, for whatever reason. The worst thing about this is that they FEED HOT LEADS to those reps so they continue to look good while everyone else is screwed to fend for themselves. They screwed over one of their top reps by leading them into thinking they were due a management position, only to bring in somebody from a sister company to rule above them. By doing this, they lost the rep who was easily their top producer. They claim team performance has nothing to do with the sales performance. The Sixers have employed the largest sales staff in the HISTORY of professional sports. The team won 37 games in the last 2 seasons. If team performance doesn't affect sales performance, then there would be no need to have 100 sales reps in the entire department. Managers talk a big game, but wouldn't last 2 days on the phones trying to sell the same product we're given.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring so many reps and pay your current ones. Your business model is so saturated with reps looking to get a job, that the good ones aren't appreciated and end up leaving your company. You've lost so many good reps in the past few months because you've refused to promote them within your company when they've clearly deserved it. You claim your culture is good, but why do you have the highest turnover rate in the game? Management is full of puppets. They dance on command, rule by micromanaging and use pressure to "inspire". Get a sense of work-life balance and realize that people aren't happy here, not because of the pay, but because you refuse to acknowledge that we have lives to take care of outside of this job. Learn to appreciate your hardworking employees. Your failure to do so has turned your company into an amazing farm system for other sales corporations.

Fun but challenging

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Entry level staff is awesome. Fun talking basketball all day. Coaches and players come to office sometimes. Friends with most of the office.

Cons

Managers are unqualified. Claim transparency but there is none. Hold sales contests then don't follow through with prizes. Extremely arrogant for no reason.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

Not the opportunity it seems to be

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are all really young and fun to work with. If you needed help with anything or advice they were more than likely willing to help you. Working in the NBA is cool and sometimes Coach Brown would come talk to the staff. Executives and managers made free snacks and coffee available to all employees which was very appreciated. You were also given 4 tickets to almost every game that you could give to family, friends, etc.

Cons

Pay is simply horrible. The business day is set from 9-5:30 but you were criticized heavily if you didn't come in early and stay late. I understand the desire for hard working employees but when your base salary is $16,500 its hard to be as invested as the managers wanted you to be. Of course in a sales role commission helps some (8-12% on season tickets and 6% on everything else) but 90% of people simply didn't make a real livable wage. Managers would do little else but spout tired clichés and buzz words like "Grind, hustle, fire, passion" etc. Because there are 70 people all doing the same job the managers would pick a few favorites and give them advantages over others. They would prop those people up and wait until the other sales associates either quit or were fired and then start the process over with the new hires. Turnover rate is very high so unless you get lucky with a few big sales from people who call in looking for tickets don't expect to be in this role long.

Advice to Management

Don't treat people like cogs in a machine. I'm sure its easy to do with so many employees but it makes the job hard to care about. And no matter how many times you say team performance shouldn't impact sales, it just does. Pretending that it doesn't play role is ignorant and ridiculous. Pay your employees a decent wage. If you have to have 20 less salespeople to do that then so be it. Having that many sales people is extremely unnecessary anyway. You will get so much more out of your workers when you pay them better. It will show that you actually care about them and not just your bottom line. Everyone knows you don't get rich working in sports but the salaries you provide are almost literally below the poverty line. You all say culture is what you value most but your behavior actually creates a toxic culture. During my time with the Sixers I heard from others in the industry that outside of Philadelphia the business side of the Sixers is a laughing stock. Get your heads out of the sand, stop buying into your own stories and see what other people in your industry really think. It may help you turn things around before another organizational change is made.

9. okay

Current Employee - Group Event Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Group Event Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia 76ers

Pros

the employees are really great

Cons

we definitely don't get paid enough

Advice to Management

invest in your people

10. Not what it's made out to be

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers

Pros

all the people are young just out of college looking to succeed, atmosphere is definitely fun, Decent off season hours.

Cons

Everything about the job is challenging. The team performance on the court really hurts The sales staff. Managers are very close minded and you will get lost in the shuffle. They all have their personal favorites and that's all they care about. a lot of sneaky sales people who will take things from you and management does nothing. All in all they do alot of things wrong here. the pay is absolutely brutal, for the incredible amount of work you put in you get no compensation in return. They say they're selling sports to young professionals and saying they can live the dream where in reality you're in a sweatshop. You get stuck calling the same people someone else called an hour before because they're that unorganized. That is just not acceptable.

Advice to Management

Be more understanding. People are going to struggle because the team is so poor. Having so many sales people is unnecessary, you don't need that many ever. Culture change is in order

11. Rewarding

I worked at Philadelphia 76ers

Pros

Great Atmosphere, culture, comm service, development

Cons

Low pay, long hours,

RSS Feed </> Embed