Philadelphia Insurance Companies

Updated December 17, 2014
Updated December 17, 2014
2.9

Robert D. O'Leary

Pros
  • The supervisors were really supportive in work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

• The health benefits were the biggest perk of working at the company (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Your manager can rate you; but there is no way to rate management or upper management (in 8 reviews)

• There is definitely NO ROOM FOR ADVANCEMENT, and you have to beg for the 2% year raise (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company

Former Employee - Intern in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Bala Cynwyd, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

excellent culture, great work/life balance, strongly encourage employees to workout in their gym

Cons

jobs can be boring as an insurance company

Rollercoaster

Former Employee - Marketing Representative
    Former Employee - Marketing Representative

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies

Pros

Quality products, competitive pricing, competent employees, cutting edge technology

Cons

Understaffed, infighting, customer service, frugal, inaccurate annual reviews, little room for advancement

Quit being arrogant, respect the hard work of your employees instead of raising the bar so high that everyone is always underachieving due to unrealistic objectives

Great company with amazing benefits and resources for its employees.

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, Resources, Great Place to work

Cons

Company culture and Micro Management style of senior corporate officres can be frustrating

Company hires industry expert and well-qualified employees and should therefore evaluate which candidates are strong and knowledge enough to avoid constant micro management.

Marketing Intern - It was a call center job, had to place a large quantity of calls on a daily basis.

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Roseville, CA

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Each intern is assigned a separate supervisor so you can communicate with you supervisor and do other projects other than placing cold-calls. The supervisors were really supportive in work-life balance. I was going to college at the time and they understood if I needed a day off because I needed to study for a test.

Cons

Placing cold calls on a daily basis got a bit tiring and boring.

Try to motivate the marketing interns by having some kind of prizes to the ones who got the most leads.

I try to live life without regrets, well this place was definitely a life regret.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The "Pros" are very limited and extend to the medical/dental/vision benefits. The parking lot had adequate spaces and the office had lights, heat and plumbing that worked.

They say you develop lasting relationships when you go through a mutual traumatic experience. I have made friends for life from working at this same establishment. We are bonded for life and I'm thankful for them.

Cons

Absolutely non of the following:

HR department
        Example: I had to complete all my 401K and Medical information without any guidance. I waited over a year for a response from HR for a general question, never received a response after many follow ups.
        Example: Took over a month to get an insurance card from HR.

Room for growth or salary advancement
        Example: I applied for 3 internal jobs based on managements advice, was not even given the opportunity for an interview and only one out of the three sent an email advising they were not going to move forward.
         Example: The annual reviews are based on 1 to 5 scale, 5 being the best and are based on the managers opinion. After completing 2 education classes and obtaining my designation in a calendar year I only received a 4, when 1 continuing ed class is required. I went above and beyond and clearly should had received a 5. The scoring is skewed and is impossible to make the max bonus option.
        Example: The yearly reviews were conducted in April and we were to inform HR if we were to contribute our bonus to our 401K by the end of March. Since they are so far behind I was not able to contribute to my retirement and instead received a 30% taxed bonus.
        Example: The annual salary increase was 1%, the state inflation percentage was 3%. They pay below the industry standard by at least 20%

I can honestly say this was the worst career decision in my life, not only was this not proactive to my advancement in the insurance industry, but I feel I have some emotional scarring. This would be a great fit for someone that does not care about money and just wants to complete daily tech work without pursuing any advancement.

-Listen to your employees, if everyone is leaving and seeking other opportunities then there is a bigger issue.
    -Learn to invest in the employees that have unlimited potential instead of filling the holes with 16 year old interns.
    -Pay your employees what they are worth, this will drastically reduce turnover.
    -Provide training instead of the "sink or swim" motto.
    -Be approachable and don't play favorites
    -Try not to treat the employees like a sweat shop, we are human beings

It really is all in who you know-favoritism

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are the driving force in staying with this company.

Cons

Employees not valued or managed in a positive style.

Great company for focused and hard working individual.

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced, good bonus plan, excellent benefits, continuing education benefits, caring co-workers. Management team is excellent. Company is very successful, mainly because the staff work very hard to make their customers happy. The policy forms are strong, and the claims department is excellent.

Cons

Heavy work load. Not for those who do not have a strong work ethic. Exempt staff work long hours, but most thrive in this fast paced, high demand environment.

Continue to hire. With success comes the need to staff properly.

Decent Company

I worked at Philadelphia Insurance Companies part-time

Pros

Decently easy to make sales. Good commission and work/life balance

Cons

No commission for renewals. Tough to build relationships. Very old industry. All coworkers were much older than I was

None

Great Company Culture

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies

Pros

Top notch gym, great company perks, business casual, jean day on Fridays, bagel day once a month. Overall, the company culture is the best thing about the company.

Cons

Most employes are young. Not necessarily a bad thing, but from what I can tell most are not looking to build long-term careers here. Rather, they just want a decent training program.

Company has great company culture and really prides itself upon making their employees happy.

Current Employee - Director Risk Management in Pasadena, CA
    Current Employee - Director Risk Management in Pasadena, CA

I have been working at Philadelphia Insurance Companies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best reason to work here is probably the profit sharing opportunities. If you are a hard worker and hit your goals you can definitely do well.

Cons

Sometimes the leaders are not really involved in the running of the company and are hands are tied in many situations.

Stop taking so many days off of work to go golfing!

Philadelphia Insurance Companies Photos