Philadelphia Museum of Art

3.8

Timothy Rub

Museum Studies Intern Program

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art as an intern

Pros

PMA's intern program is incredible! The placement I had was the perfect fit for me, and I never felt like an intern. I was given amazing opportunities to really work on my own and discover how I felt about the field as a career. All of the behind the scenes tours, discussions with curators, and field trips were an added bonus that made sure we got an overall look at the museum and not just the area we were placed in.

Cons

It's obviously a very large museum, and it seems as though relations between departments aren't always the strongest.

Internship Program

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The museum is a very beautiful place to work in and a very nice change of pace from the corporate world. My co-workers were great individuals to work with and the security staff was very pleasant. Museum employees were more than happy to share their knowledge and experience with us.

Cons

The museum is moving towards a more brand conscience, commercialized approach which I'm sort of uncomfortable with. I'm aware other prospective interns/employees might not mind this though. Also, internship program is extremely geared towards one specific age/social-economic demographic group. Lastly, if you're more of an introvert on the I/E scale or an HSP, have plenty of recharging time planned and coping strategies prepared if you're considering applying for the internship program.

A learning experience

Former Employee - Prep Cook in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Prep Cook in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (less than an year)

Pros

All Team Players with set goals.

Cons

hated the commute from Wilmington,DE to Philadelphia,PA

NA

Beautiful place to work on many levels!

I have been working at Philadelphia Museum of Art

Pros

Great learning experience and resume builder. Impressive staff, program, and collection. If you are new to museums, this could be a wonderful place to start.

Cons

Lack of procedure, unclear expectations, and stagnant departmental leadership. Poor compensation and unwillingness to embrace, acknowledge skillsets, and promote staff.

Support and encourage staff to grow. Invest in the enormous amount of talent at hand. Be adventurous, creative, and open mined as we push to change--it is an art museum after all!

an organization of passionate staff

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

great colleagues, programs and strategies that are relevant socially, historically, locally and internationally. For the art interested, the right exhibit can inspire or renew dedication to sharing the Museum widely.
    Interesting challenges.

Cons

An abundance of challenges and often little clear prioritization and insufficient staffing and resources.
    A constant and slow culture of change exists struggling to resolve the modern spirit with the forbidding building, but picking up rapidly in a good direction. A slow operational brand process is beginning to break down departmental silos and shed light on conflicting priorities.
    Individuals can make an impact here on the Museum and their careers, but it's trying, slow and creativity of managing resources and compensation is a necessary toolkit.

Invest in staff. Be more open about career plans and compensation. Stand up for your strongest assets.

My department was exceptional, everything else was just okay.

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The department I worked for was the best and made for a great working experience. I had a director that was far above expectations for a low paying non-profit. The other staff in the department were also exceptional.

Cons

Human resources, like almost all HR Departments and I have worked with, were useless and not employee friendly. Like most HR's they are more worried about non-sense and politics and less worried about the employees. The other big con of this place which has been mentioned before is the low pay for almost all employees. You can have over a billion dollars of art but pay crap!

Revamp the HR Department.

A wonderful educational and vocational experience

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art

Pros

Access to one of the greatest art collections in the world. Great staff. Wonderful and wonderfully run education program. Friendly work environment.

Cons

Departments working out some kinks as it is still in transition and change. An overall harsh time for the museum world at the moment.

Great intern program, fantastic introduction to museums

Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Intern in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The PMA treats their interns well - everyone gets to participate in great talks from curators, facilities staff, the Director, and so on. My placement was a great learning experience and offered wonderful opportunities for hands on experience.

Cons

Highly traditional (though seems to be becoming increasingly adventurous), noticeably bureaucratic at times. Some other interns in a few departments didn't seem to find their placements as fulfilling, felt more like they were being given grunt work.

It's a beautiful place, but very frustrating

Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Visitor Services Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Philadelphia Museum of Art part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Clearly it's a beautiful place, and the larger mission of the institution is worthwhile. There are many employees there who are wonderful, generous and knowledgeable; it was a great place to make friends and connections.

Cons

The PMA is terribly backwards. There is so much money wasted, and they never re-invest any money into their employees. The wages are not only not competitive, but at points irresponsible to the community. You cannot brag about the number of people you employ when so many of them qualify for government assistance. HR is very ineffective and disorganized, avoid working with them as much as possible. Upper level managers/ directors come across as very out of touch with the daily operations and disrespectful to their employees. Overall, it's extremely frustrating. Inter-depar

I would advise management to respect their employees more and consider what benefits you can offer since you do not offer competitive pay. Saying you're lucky to have a job does not promote good morale. I would also advise that their is less micromanaging and more time spent getting to know the various levels of your department. No one respects a boss who gives them instructions from behind a closed door.

Great Hardworking Staff

I have been working at Philadelphia Museum of Art

Pros

Hardworking, committed staff and who love the Museum. A wonderful group to work with--and an outstanding institution. Benefits are satisfactory and time off policies are very good to offset the poor pay. If you love art and don't mind living paycheck to paycheck, this is a teriffic place to be.

Cons

Micromanaging senior staff with outdated ideas about how to treat staff, which are supported by an HR Dept whose mandate is to push down any innovations. Often Dickensian viewpoints, especially about administrative positions. Very stratified organization with essentially no chance of career growth within the institution.

Trust the outstanding staff you have and read a book about Servant Leadership. You'll be astounded by how much you get back by leading from behind.