Philadelphia University

Add Photos

Stephen Spinelli Jr.

Great Supervisor

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Phila, PA

ProsThis is a family friendly place to work. They always have ways to make sure that there is a happy balance in your life between you family and your job.

ConsThe only con I can really say is that there is not any promotion unless you threaten to leave to be employed someplace else.

Good Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorking for PhilaU has been good in development of me as a person, having also acquiring my undergraduate education there.

ConsHigh turn around rate in employees. Due to the constant change in staff in some departments, it became difficult as an employee to have simple things taken care of, such as payroll

student position

Library Assistant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prostreated with respect
    flexible scheduling
    closed on holidays and during weekend on breaks

Conshad to cover for students who skipped shifts
    had to work late at night some nights

Advice to Senior Managementreprimand student employees as if they were normal adult employees, they are

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Graduate Assistant

Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsNice people, reasonable pay, flexible hours, great coworkers

ConsLong commute, not so nice neighborhood,

Advice to Senior ManagementImprovement of career services

Pay is so low, it makes it difficult to live

ProsGreat people, nice buildings and campus

ConsThe salaries are so low, you can't have a good quality of life; this leads to low morale, depression, etc. You are surrounded by million-dollar buildings but can't afford a car, good housing, etc. It makes life difficult; if you work there you will be living paycheck to paycheck

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your employees..the good ones will leave, and current ones will grow despondent

I enjoyed working with the students.

Student Development Associate (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsStudent life rocks! People treat you well. Staff are helpful. Small gifts from my supervisor.

ConsSmall university with fewer resources.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that staff members have more opportunities to get to know each other. More company socials.

The people are friendly and full of character. They are also very helpful.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

Prossalary of course
    recommendation letters
    career oriented classes
    flexible work scheduels

Conswork study hours (for students) are restricted

Good

Research Technician (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsLess stressful and friendly working environment

ConsLimited facility for researches and cooperation opportunities

A good place for a second income, not primary for your family.

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsThe benefits are great including tuition remission, the whole deal.
    The employees are dedicated, fantastic people. It's a small community feel and everyone takes care of each other. The campus is beautiful.

ConsThe benefits are great if you can afford them. Unless you are in management, you will not be able to afford to contribute to the offered 401k, retirement plans, etc... you will be living paycheck to paycheck.
    There is absolutely no opportunity for advancement. The position you enter at, is as far as you will go here.They may utilize your additional talents, you just wont be compensated.
    It is very political.

Philadelphia University: Power to Do... only so much with your career

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsPhiladelphia University definitely offers a good place to *start* a career. The benefits are excellent, despite the pay; and because the school is small, you can get experience handling a variety of responsibilities that may benefit you later in your career.

ConsPhiladelphia University seriously under-staffs its departments. Those who stay and avoid the consistently revolving door often end up frustrated by slow hiring procedures, snowballing personal responsibilities without additional compensation, and a lack of reward for talent and skill. The minimal paycheck and lack of upward mobility found in various departments at Philadelphia University are simply toxic.

Advice to Senior ManagementPhiladelphia University offers a variety of quality academic programs that instruct students on exactly the kinds of issues that the University faces. It would do well to follow the advice of its faculty in resolving the underlying frustrations of its staff, so that it might retain strong employees and more fully develop its potential.

Worked for Philadelphia University? Contribute to the Community!