Philip Morris International

Philip Morris International Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Philip Morris International Chief Executive Officer André Calantzopoulos

André Calantzopoulos

Pros
  • Good working environment, satisfying salary, and good overtime payment(in 10 reviews)

• Great career opportunities, if you work in the field(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not a question - everything is one short term profit and very individualistic(in 15 reviews)

• Telling people you work in the tobacco industry is always a buzz kill(in 7 reviews)

Extraordinary career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsExtremely dedicated employee population; unified culture despite being present in 100+ countries; hierarchical but still collegial; a lot of pride; senior management still accessible

ConsTobacco industry has its own ethical issues - no matter how well run; assessment and promotion processes strive for objectivity but have inherent biases

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible and "human"

Supply Chain

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

ProsWell established organisational structure with instant access to support and expertise in all fields of the business. Systems and tools are great. Objective driven culture

ConsCigarette manufacturers (just like any other industry) needs to adapt operations to market conditions and despite market share gains for the big brands the overall volume trend remains negative. Will this change in the next years?

Not good workplace

Something (Current Employee) New Delhi (India)

ProsThe company has made a backdoor entry into India as FDI in tobacco is banned it has come thru some other model

ConsManagement is not supportive to its people and anyone can be fried anytime

Advice to Senior Managementchange the senior management

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Large center of bureaucracy feeding on huge margins generated by captive, yet declining, tobacco markets.

Manager (Current Employee) Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsPay is high and far off the market.

ConsHQ is a bureaucracy center manned by close to 2000 people. Most of the effort is put on internal politics and power struggles between the "Senators", a large group of overpaid Directors and VP's that fight to justify their jobs and organizational silos in order to keep their outrageous Ferraris, Porches, Jaguars and CHF 20k a month Lac Geneva mansions. Every 5 years, management comes up with a restructuring plan and layoffs at Lausanne's Center as a means of justifying productivity initiatives to the, so far, happy shareholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the next round of layoffs experiment reducing HQ's organization's size, complexity and internal bureaucracy by cutting 50% of the obscenely paid VP's and Directors. Foster a culture of sobriety and frugality at HQ. The company car fleet level is not reminiscent of Swiss sobriety but of third-word kleptocracy.

Philip Morris

Sales Planning Supervisor (Current Employee) Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

ProsGood work environment, good salaries. Lots of opportunities to move around in the company.

ConsIts tobacco and it can be a tough industry.

Business familiarity, sales, marketing, trends, and lots of learning. Opportunity to develop yourself.

Sales Data Analyst (Current Employee) Makati City (Philippines)

ProsComposed of diverse cultures and work ethics, making it a powerhouse company.

ConsPeople tend to work in silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to break the silos in order for all departments to be familiar with each other.

Rapid Learning - Zero Empowerment

Assistant Brand Manager (Current Employee) Karāchi (Pakistan)

ProsProvided Good exposure along with International Experience. Also gave an Opportunity to work with foreign expats. It has a good image in the market thanks to its name.

ConsThere is a lot of micromanagement. Employees are not given any empowerment even when it comes to making presentations or proposals. Every decision is reviewed from top.

Budget & Reporting Analyst

Budget & Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) Dakar (Cameroon)

ProsGood environment for developping skills.

ConsIt will affect your life balance.

HQ Manager

Manager (Current Employee) Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsGood salary, health insurance and pension fund

ConsHighly stressful environment. One after another organizational effectiveness! cost cutting and jobs cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make people that stays feel valued.

Bussiness Advisor

Busnisess Advisor (Current Employee) Culiacán (Mexico)

Proshigh responsability on your territory and the liberty to make your own decsion on development on targets.

ConsSometimes high daily hours and also to hard targets in relation with the territory. it depends on your boss support procces

Worked for Philip Morris International? Contribute to the Community!