Philip Morris International

Philip Morris International Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Philip Morris International Chief Executive Officer André Calantzopoulos

André Calantzopoulos

Pros:
  • "Great career opportunities, if you work in the field"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good working environment, satisfying salary, and good overtime payment"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work life balance, not enough human touch"
    in 13 reviews
  • "Telling people you work in the tobacco industry is always a buzz kill"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Philip Morris

Sales Planning Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

ProsGood work environment, good salaries. Lots of opportunities to move around in the company.

ConsIts tobacco and it can be a tough industry.

Business familiarity, sales, marketing, trends, and lots of learning. Opportunity to develop yourself.

Sales Data Analyst (Current Employee)
    Makati City (Philippines)

ProsComposed of diverse cultures and work ethics, making it a powerhouse company.

ConsPeople tend to work in silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to break the silos in order for all departments to be familiar with each other.

Not good workplace

Something (Current Employee)
    New Delhi (India)

ProsThe company has made a backdoor entry into India as FDI in tobacco is banned it has come thru some other model

ConsManagement is not supportive to its people and anyone can be fried anytime

Advice to Senior Managementchange the senior management

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Large center of bureaucracy feeding on huge margins generated by captive, yet declining, tobacco markets.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsPay is high and far off the market.

ConsHQ is a bureaucracy center manned by close to 2000 people. Most of the effort is put on internal politics and power struggles between the "Senators", a large group of overpaid Directors and VP's that fight to justify their jobs and organizational silos in order to keep their outrageous Ferraris, Porches, Jaguars and CHF 20k a month Lac Geneva mansions. Every 5 years, management comes up with a restructuring plan and layoffs at Lausanne's Center as a means of justifying productivity initiatives to the, so far, happy shareholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the next round of layoffs experiment reducing HQ's organization's size, complexity and internal bureaucracy by cutting 50% of the obscenely paid VP's and Directors. Foster a culture of sobriety and frugality at HQ. The company car fleet level is not reminiscent of Swiss sobriety but of third-word kleptocracy.

HQ Manager

Manager (Current Employee)
    Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsGood salary, health insurance and pension fund

ConsHighly stressful environment. One after another organizational effectiveness! cost cutting and jobs cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make people that stays feel valued.

Rapid Learning - Zero Empowerment

Assistant Brand Manager (Current Employee)
    Karāchi (Pakistan)

ProsProvided Good exposure along with International Experience. Also gave an Opportunity to work with foreign expats. It has a good image in the market thanks to its name.

ConsThere is a lot of micromanagement. Employees are not given any empowerment even when it comes to making presentations or proposals. Every decision is reviewed from top.

Budget & Reporting Analyst

Budget & Reporting Analyst (Current Employee)
    Dakar (Cameroon)

ProsGood environment for developping skills.

ConsIt will affect your life balance.

Bussiness Advisor

Busnisess Advisor (Current Employee)
    Culiacán (Mexico)

Proshigh responsability on your territory and the liberty to make your own decsion on development on targets.

ConsSometimes high daily hours and also to hard targets in relation with the territory. it depends on your boss support procces

Incredible Work Environment

Summer Intern (Former Employee)
    Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsFriendly, smart and motivated coworkers made working at PMI a joy everyday. PMI also offers great compensation and benefits.

ConsThe greatest con for PMI is, of course, its product. The good news is that PMI is trying hard to produce lower risk products that are less harmful to one's health.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would have been helpful to offer interns more training and interactive components to foster a stronger sense of community.

Incredible personal growth in a short amount of time

Digital Marketing Executive (Current Employee)
    Bucharest (Romania)

ProsTo start off, I would mention that I'm talking about the Romanian Philip Morris branch, Philip Morris Trading SRL. The Pros are countless; I remember that when I was close to getting hired (about two years ago), the first thing I was looking after was a young working environment. Little did I know that I would end up working with tens of people which have the average age of 26-27 years. Even the older employees are part of this youthful atmosphere and this is a spectacular thing.
    A lot of proffesionals are working here, people that know what they want and know how to get the job done even though, some times, the final and critical decision has to be made by a foreign affiliate.
    You get to meet up and work with dozens of people from different environments and different backgrounds which all end up working for the same goal. A big advantage is that getting hired is not easy; and this is exactly what makes the quality of the employees very high. There are a lot of things to learn and I believe that, personally, I've managed to learn in my 2-years experience (up until now), more than I would have learned in 5 years in other corporations (at least that's the word on the street).
    To end , I would mention an important aspect which sometimes might help you stay afloat. People keep saying everywhere that you should speak up and most employees, no matter the company, don't speak up, because they're afraid of losing their job or making enemies. Nothing more wrong here. Speak up, say what you have to say, make it clear and people will listen and try to understand until you reach a common ground. But, keep in mind the ethic of this action. Don't speak up unless you have solid arguments that can sustain your opinion and your beliefs regarding the business. No manager wants to see his employee getting stuck on a subject for the sake of arguing, without having a solid motive behind his sayings.

ConsThere are two big cons (and probably the only ones) in Philip Morris Trading:
    1. The lack of communication - at some points, employees don't actually communicate one with the other, and things tend to get messed up along the way. Even though this happens by simple mistake, every single employee is trying to convince managers (and vice-versa) to talk and communicate with every single individual, so as to ensure a good flow for the information. But, as you might expect, this is not necessarily a company con, but maybe a con that depends on the employees.
    2. Changes are made in the company at a very fast pace - and I'm not talking about changing the business or the goal of the company, but about switching positions and people around every single year. Sure, on one hand, this is good news, because employees can try different departments and work on different projects in a short time-span, which increases their experience. But, at one point , it can become quite nerve-wrecking. Time is wasted by putting up to speed the new manager, which for the last year has maybe worked on something totally different. Funny enough, you tend to get used with the personnel changes.

Advice to Senior Management-

Worked for Philip Morris International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Philip Morris International reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Philip Morris International CEO André Calantzopoulos. All 153 reviews posted anonymously by Philip Morris International employees.