Philip Morris International

Updated December 20, 2014
3.4

Philip Morris International Chief Executive Officer André Calantzopoulos
André Calantzopoulos

Pros
  • Good salary and benefits are another pro (in 11 reviews)

• good package, good salary and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not a question - everything is one short term profit and very individualistic (in 19 reviews)

• Lack of consistency & transperency in decision making from top mgment atleast in India (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Toxic environment. Stay away.

Former Employee - Director in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Director in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good salary. Good international opportunities.

Cons

Ego maniacs at senior management level.
    No basic respect for people.
    Too much politic.
    Too focused on ppt rituals and too disconnected from reality.

Dismantle the polish connection.
    Promote senior managers who are equipped with human skills.

A very confused company with no external friends isolated from world

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of travel if you have no family, some bright people, you get to spend a lot of time on trains to lausanne. If you like direct feedback they give you plenty!

Cons

Lots of internal politics as people try to explain to out of touch senior management what is happening externally
    Few women, macho culture with very aggressive and not well thought through approaches. A lot of time spent manAging internal egos. The worst expenses and credit card system I have ever encountered.

Seriously you must get off the lake at lausanne and into the operating companies. Try and learn about the very difficult attitudes to smoking and move your new products forward fast. You lack an understanding of what is happening on the ground.

Age and gender discrimination

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generation Y get lured in with high salaries but quickly realize that they cannot easily grow further and leave within first two years (new hire turnover is very high and cost the company $23 million last year).

Cons

The culture has changed dramatically since Louis Camilleri left. After massive budget cuts in 2013, the company is going through the same exercise again this year. Employees are stressed and overworked. Managers think of politics and saving their own backsides rather than helping the company grow.

RRP is supposed to be the big cure all but it will take years---if we are commercially successful--to make up for disastrous decisions in conventional market.

Age discrimination is rampant. You will be fired before you are 50--- guaranteed.

Instead of hanging out together in Montreaux and talking about behaviors, you should try to actually change them... Beginning with yourselves.

Low morale company. SINKING SHIP.

Pros

Good salary and benefits
    Travel policy
    Good if you're smokers. Bad if you're not.

Cons

Low morale
    Lots of unqualified managers
    Politics
    No career development and no autonomy

Review the process of performance review

Great people are leaving the company. The rest is waiting for new opportunities.

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get paid quite generous regarding to your responsibilities and exposure
    You meet some helpful talents

Cons

Great people are leaving the company or talents working 1-3 years then leave this sinking ship.
    Many careless and stupid decisions on talent reviews. NOT about your ability on the way but about your first impression ( I have worked a few companies before but I have not seen a stupid company like this on talent review). Useless tool even if they already do marketing company on this.
    Bad and immoral culture
    People here have low high education level like less than 5%. Not so good on decisions.
    Play with political group or decision all the time.

Talent reviews. A useless tool to review employees, build career paths and develop people.
    Why so many department heads in the companies. They are incapable of managing the company.

Very political, no empowered, very centralized, detailed and stressful

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits kick in when you work more than 5 years. They hired you from very senior position in the market, but put you in quite junior in the company when you first join. So, at that junior level, you think you have better benefits than in the market, but think again.
    Training classes are the best.
    You will find some super smart people. They are new hire 1-2 years from outside (best in the market). But people work long time like 8-10 years or more, they are just more political and sometimes make stupid decisions...
    Company are quite well organized and IT system is great here.

Cons

Titles in this company are terrible (sucks). People work 7-15 years are still managers. They do not want employees leave. So, why give them fancy titles?! Here is the process how to block employees:

1. New hire from outside with 5-10 years of experience. You will work 1-2 years at your interested position. Then, you have to move to under function so you will stay there forever or kick out.

You will move to new function for 1-2 years then another function for 1-2 years.
    After 5-7 years, you cannot work anywhere as your experience is not deep enough. Actually, I've seen people working here for 15 years, they're so bad, but good at political and know how to make their boss happy!

Benefits at the company are high with the title that you have. I am sure with the same title you cannot find the job else where.

At this stage, you work very hard and move around. Some people like it but some don't. But you have to follow. You don't have many choice at your career at this point. Think again, if you want to build your expertise. This company does not fit you.

Managers who work here for 10-15 years are those are will endorse your career or kick you out. You need to make friends with them even if you don't like. Stupid right?

if you like what you're doing and continue to build your career path like you've chosen, this company is not for you.

This company does not need competency (very emotional decision). This company is about who you know. Managers sometimes cannot help you as they are so busy to do politically for themselves. I saw many painful cases in this company.

This industry is sinking. So, benefits are recalculated and cut. So, no more great perks.

You are more likely to move to some places that you don't like. Some dangerous countries. So, it's bad!

Your career will be flat for while and so much dependent on the hands of gangs in the company.

This industry is so morale. Sometimes, you feel ashamed to work here. Cigarettes? Why - your friends will ask

If you are graduates and you get hired here. You career will be in sales, planning, IT, marketing and likely you cannot find a place elsewhere after 3-4 years. You have to move and move. There is no other choice.

2. Karma is another thing that I observed. I saw mysterious stories happened to family members or diseases of the employees. It happened so frequently in the office. It scared me so much. At first, I did not believe but so many cases happened in a short time.

Very political - I don't know how you can fix.
    It's like "Old Boy Club" but worse you will see "Axis of Evils"
    Your salary is not great any more
    Too much cost cutting

IT at Philip Morris International

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

International company
    Big systems infrastructure
    Many paths for development

Cons

If you want to develop your tech skills, Philip Morris is not a good idea.
    Bureaucracy is huge, for every single activity it requires lot of approvals.
    IT was great some years ago, and now it got stuck, basically they decided to reorganize the company and now IT is out of scope, so I cannot develop anymore the skills I want.

Demotivation is already huge, I don't have a clue on how this will be fixed, working at Philip Morris today is discussing 50% of time, doing bureaucracy 40%, and doing developing any other skills 10%. Probably for many careers this is ok, for the people willing to develop technical skills it is terrible.

Overtime ... OVERTIME* - heart attack. Career path in PMI.

Pros

Running water in the restroom

Cons

Senseless projects, realized just to justify the existence of managerial positions.
    You know end results but manager has "historic" or "sociological" background so he dont understand what you're talking about. "Lets try because it looks really nice on Power point presentation and I've already showed the presentation to director and was very happy, Now we must do it even is it senseless and of course it's impossible to do "

PMI =Presentation & Meeting International

Current Employee - Engineer in Kraków (Poland)
    Current Employee - Engineer in Kraków (Poland)

Pros

Brilliant PR in social media

Cons

Extremely do not recommend for technical specialists! I had worked for several companies so I can say - PMI it's truly amateurs.
    Decision about working there is one of my worst decisions in life - wasted years and potential !!!

Try your hand at other companies and see how you are "strong"

Not good workplace

Current Employee - Something in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Something in New Delhi (India)

Pros

The company has made a backdoor entry into India as FDI in tobacco is banned it has come thru some other model

Cons

Management is not supportive to its people and anyone can be fried anytime

change the senior management