Philip Morris International

Updated February 19, 2015
3.5

Philip Morris International Chief Executive Officer André Calantzopoulos
André Calantzopoulos

Pros
  • Good salary and benefits are another pro (in 11 reviews)

• good package, good salary and benefits (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not a question - everything is one short term profit and very individualistic (in 19 reviews)

• Lack of consistency & transperency in decision making from top mgment atleast in India (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

It's all window dressing. Don't believe what the fancy slogans make you believe.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They pay marginally better than other employers in the region. The facilities are of good standard.

Cons

I was initially happy to join, but realized soon I should have stayed in my previous job. Although making more money than before, the hours do not make up for the additional cash. And from the beginning I was told that I will lose my job if I complain. Even though they have a work-life balance initiative, it's fake. This has already been pointed out by other posters here. Do not join this company in any of the financial reporting/consolidation functions, it's bad, really bad. I will soon resign, as I do have a choice working there. I feel sorry for those left behind that cannot quite that easy, and have to endure the pain they are in.

Why can't you move the dinosaurs, that have been in their place for more than a decade, just defending their turf. And not willing to listen to anyone?

Sad: age-discriminating company

Current Employee - Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Manager in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International

Pros

Salary. And that is it.

Cons

Forget about closing your career here: you will get fired (silently and quietly) before you turn 50. Guaranteed.

Walk the talk, PLEASE!

A very confused company with no external friends isolated from world

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of travel if you have no family, some bright people, you get to spend a lot of time on trains to lausanne. If you like direct feedback they give you plenty!

Cons

Lots of internal politics as people try to explain to out of touch senior management what is happening externally
    Few women, macho culture with very aggressive and not well thought through approaches. A lot of time spent manAging internal egos. The worst expenses and credit card system I have ever encountered.

Seriously you must get off the lake at lausanne and into the operating companies. Try and learn about the very difficult attitudes to smoking and move your new products forward fast. You lack an understanding of what is happening on the ground.

Age and gender discrimination

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lausanne (Switzerland)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generation Y get lured in with high salaries but quickly realize that they cannot easily grow further and leave within first two years (new hire turnover is very high and cost the company $23 million last year).

Cons

The culture has changed dramatically since Louis Camilleri left. After massive budget cuts in 2013, the company is going through the same exercise again this year. Employees are stressed and overworked. Managers think of politics and saving their own backsides rather than helping the company grow.

RRP is supposed to be the big cure all but it will take years---if we are commercially successful--to make up for disastrous decisions in conventional market.

Age discrimination is rampant. You will be fired before you are 50--- guaranteed.

Instead of hanging out together in Montreaux and talking about behaviors, you should try to actually change them... Beginning with yourselves.

IT at Philip Morris International

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

International company
    Big systems infrastructure
    Many paths for development

Cons

If you want to develop your tech skills, Philip Morris is not a good idea.
    Bureaucracy is huge, for every single activity it requires lot of approvals.
    IT was great some years ago, and now it got stuck, basically they decided to reorganize the company and now IT is out of scope, so I cannot develop anymore the skills I want.

Demotivation is already huge, I don't have a clue on how this will be fixed, working at Philip Morris today is discussing 50% of time, doing bureaucracy 40%, and doing developing any other skills 10%. Probably for many careers this is ok, for the people willing to develop technical skills it is terrible.

Not good workplace

Current Employee - Something in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Something in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company has made a backdoor entry into India as FDI in tobacco is banned it has come thru some other model

Cons

Management is not supportive to its people and anyone can be fried anytime

change the senior management

There's a reason they overpay... no one wants to work such a nihilistic existence

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time

Pros

I've seen more frivolous spending in the first 12 months at this company than I did in all of my previous companies combined. Want expensive business trips and fancy restaurants? This is your place.

Talent Management is rigorously (almost dogmatically) adhered to. Many times in order to rise in the company you have to be willing to up and move just about anywhere in the world, which is fine if you're a global nomad, but not if you want a family and any sense of community. There are many instances of inter-company relationships as a result.

Cons

Being a company that only makes one thing, and has been profitable for an eternity, has made this company complacent and ignorant to the reality -- working for a cigarette company, no matter what they pay, is never a nice thing to have to admit to yourself or anyone else around you. This breeds 2 kinds of people -- those who are at constant existential angst and always depressed; and those who have been there so long they've sold their soul. Don't be tempted by the golden handcuffs -- this place is a tough place to work and expects a lot of it's employees.

Turnover at PMI is EXTREMELY low, many people started at the factory floor and have worked their way up. They refer to it as a "family" like culture, which is probably more true than they'd like, as it has many characteristics of a dysfunctional family. Power and politics are the way decisions get made, and everyone seems afraid of guarding their turf or not pissing off their manager, or both.

Recognize that you are not capturing 60% of the active employee marketplace because of the product you make. Help new hires acclimate in a way that doesn't destroy their creativity as well as their sense of confidence. Stop expecting people to start all over again in a different country in 3 years time, it's not feasible or sustainable. And way too expensive. Give people a break - work life balance here sucks and not for any reason other than hubris and "busy work".

Company going down hill fast!

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits with still many employees striving to do a good job.

Cons

Lack of communication and/or proper communication with anyone below Director level. Still an old boy network in the tobacco business. Unrealistic expectations of employees.

You may want to actually mean it when you stress work life balance - not just as a slogan that sounds good. Also, re-think your employee evaluations - how can even the smallest department be required to continually have a bell curve distribution of talent year after year?

It seems such a good company, it´s not like that at all.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Barcelona (Spain)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Barcelona (Spain)

I worked at Philip Morris International full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Its name and its famous.. Good for one´s Cv, nothing else.

Cons

Control, Micromanaging, GPS location in every moment, even along weekends you have to be available for your clients and your manager who is asking and asking to do what he is uncapable to do, strong competency among coworkers, everything is allowed in order to get your targets... I´d not reccomened sensitive people to work at Philip Morris couse you´re killing people! smoke kills!

Do more and ask less, let your control out and be more confidence with your team.

worst org

Current Employee - Senior IS Analyst in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Senior IS Analyst in New Delhi (India)

Pros

good payee, no value for efforts, bias

Cons

worst management, worst worst worst management, no transparency, no value of resources

they should be more transperant

Philip Morris International Photos