Philip Morris International
www.pmi.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Philip Morris International Reviews in Switzerland

Updated Apr 4, 2014
Philip Morris International – “manufacturing facility”

Philip Morris International Chairman and CEO Louis C. Camilleri

Louis C. Camilleri

23 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Incredible Work Environment

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Philip Morris International as an intern for less than a year

ProsFriendly, smart and motivated coworkers made working at PMI a joy everyday. PMI also offers great compensation and benefits.

ConsThe greatest con for PMI is, of course, its product. The good news is that PMI is trying hard to produce lower risk products that are less harmful to one's health.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would have been helpful to offer interns more training and interactive components to foster a stronger sense of community.

Large center of bureaucracy feeding on huge margins generated by captive, yet declining, tobacco markets.

Manager (Current Employee)
Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPay is high and far off the market.

ConsHQ is a bureaucracy center manned by close to 2000 people. Most of the effort is put on internal politics and power struggles between the "Senators", a large group of overpaid Directors and VP's that fight to justify their jobs and organizational silos in order to keep their outrageous Ferraris, Porches, Jaguars and CHF 20k a month Lac Geneva mansions. Every 5 years, management comes up with a restructuring plan and layoffs at Lausanne's Center as a means of justifying productivity initiatives to the, so far, happy shareholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the next round of layoffs experiment reducing HQ's organization's size, complexity and internal bureaucracy by cutting 50% of the obscenely paid VP's and Directors. Foster a culture of sobriety and frugality at HQ. The company car fleet level is not reminiscent of Swiss sobriety but of third-word kleptocracy.

HQ Manager

Manager (Current Employee)
Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood salary, health insurance and pension fund

ConsHighly stressful environment. One after another organizational effectiveness! cost cutting and jobs cutting.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to make people that stays feel valued.

OC job

Manager Fiscal Affairs (Current Employee)
Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time for more than a year

Prosgood package ; friendly people ; the company treats very well its employees ; very diverse cultures ;

Conssilos based ; conservative ; years in the company make you evolve ; not a lot of room for fast-track ; no decision making before senior positions

Advice to Senior ManagementTalent program with fast-paced horizontal moves

Amazing company for Learning

ProsTruly international environment, Compensation and Benefits, real careers opportunities if you are available to move abroad. Informal environment and high level of talented employees with whom you can work with. Continuously changing environment, looking for optimization in every aspects of the business. Financially solid which gives people enough resources to keep innovating.

ConsAbility to progress in your career only if you're mobile and accept to move locations with your family, or if you have an 'important' sponsor backing you up. When you have a family and you don't want to move, say good-bye to any career at PMI. Talent Management process doesn't work. Old fashion mindset company, people need to move to jobs, rather then jobs moving to where really talent is. People remuneration is dependent of the job they are doing, rather than on their skills and experience. You can have two people with 10 years difference of experience (assuming they are both skilled), gaining the same salary because they are performing the same job content.

Advice to Senior ManagementMove the company in the direction of being more flexible and implement a real diversity strategy. Family is an important peace in everyone's life and you shouldn't be cut on your career aspirations and progression if you are not able to move outside of your country of residence. Start moving the jobs, rather then people when possible.

Worldwide Experience

Supplly Chain Executive (Current Employee)
Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCulture & Values

Flexibility

Dynamic and challenging environment

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time

ProsCompany provides a very good salary and social benefits, a lot of career opportunities in international environment, takes care about employees, diversity

ConsVery dynamic management, recurrent mandatory reorganizations sometimes involves unsuspected good-working employees

Run by a CEO with no emotional intelligence

I have been working at Philip Morris International

ProsGood pay (75% compo ratio) and international opportunities but expat packages slowly going away

Constalent pool empty, HQ a mis managed political back stabbing environment

World Wide Opportunitie

Supply Chain (Current Employee)
Lausanne (Switzerland)

I have been working at Philip Morris International full-time for less than a year

ProsCareer Opportunities
Compensation & Benefits
Culture & Values

ConsWork/Life Balance depending the period
Senior Management

International company with internal opportunities

Marketing Coordinator (Current Employee)
Lausanne (Switzerland)

Pros- Competitive salary package
- Training opportunities
- Possibility to meet different nationalities and cultures

Cons- Lack of agility in decision-making process
- Sometimes, progression is based on politics not on pure performance

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease genuinely care about people & their development plans

Worked for Philip Morris International? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Philip Morris International reviews and ratings in Switzerland — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Philip Morris International CEO Louis C. Camilleri. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Philip Morris International employees.