Philip Morris USA

Philip Morris USA Reviews

Updated Mar 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Philip Morris USA President and CEO William F. (Billy) Gifford Jr.

William F. (Billy) Gifford Jr.

Pros:
  • "Great Benefits, Company car with all expenses paid,"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Most managers respect work - life balance decisions but there are notable exceptions"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work / Life balance can get wacky if you let it"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Now with the planned cutbacks in the sales force, promotions are fewer to give these days"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Better than you might think

Lead Technical Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Philip Morris USA

ProsIf you are fortunate enough to work for one of the progressive areas in the company, the experience can be rewarding and challenging. The overall compensation and benefits package is very strong and Senior Management encourages employee development. Most managers respect work - life balance decisions but there are notable exceptions.

ConsSome managers & directors push too much "overhead" on to employees. There are too many well meaning but inefficient processes that saddle employees with additional work on Leadership or Role Identification that ultimately does not help Management or the "Rank and File". I've heard many colleagues complain of being harassed over completing a "career development" task while the real work gets pushed aside and deadlines are missed.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate how much time is truly spent on formulaic "employee development" and reduce the emphasis accordingly

Great company - Get ready to work hard.

Account Manager (Current Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

ProsGreat team atmosphere. There is a real culture of sharing among teammates and others in the company. Managment is very involved in your development - however, it can sometimes be too much.

ConsIt can be very difficult to stop working. The company demands a lot from its employees, and there is always work that can be done, as with any job where you work from home. It seems like upper managment isn't very clued in to what is going on in the field. It can be very difficult to manage and motivate people to execute your personal intiatives when there is already so much on their plates.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget the little people.

Look before you leap on OR off this train

Machinist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

ProsGreat company and wonderful pay

ConsIt used to be a family to work for. I have been with the company for over 18 years now and a lot has changed for the negative toward the employees

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to not only your peers but the lower people on the floor. They have a brain and have made the company with their hard work.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to start a career out of college

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

ProsIt is a nice place to start a career out of college. The pay is very reasonable for a recent college graduate. They also provide a nice bonus based on performance and profit-sharing abilites. I had an internship with them the summer before my senior year and was offered a job so they do hire people who take internships with them. Something like 67% of the interns were offered jobs.

ConsI feel as though the employees opinions are not taken into very much consideration. I try to talk to the senior management about ideas i have and in turn i am turned away.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise senior management to listen more to what floor personnel are saying. They do not take enough time to get the point of view of the lower employees who have experience in making the products great.

Great experience with Philip Morris USA

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Boise, ID

I worked at Philip Morris USA

ProsGreat people, overall strong work ethic, wonderful intern program, continuous challenges and changing environment

ConsOrganizational structure is often somewhat inconsistent, managers often not on the same "page"

Advice to Senior ManagementRemain consistent within different units/districts, etc.

A good company to launch a career out of college.

Unit Manager (Former Employee)
Knoxville, TN

I worked at Philip Morris USA

ProsProvides on-going quality training for all levels of the organization.

ConsSociety's view of working for a tobacco company.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to evaluate workloads within the organization as you bring additional companies into the fold as a part of the adjacency strategy.

No, Thanks.

Territory Sales Manager (Former Employee)
Hartford, CT

I worked at Philip Morris USA

ProsPhilip Morris USA offers high quality training programs as well as competitive pay and benefits. The team environment is fun and often results in the formation of many personal relationships with peers in the organization.

ConsPhilip Morris USA promises the word to talented members of the organization, however sadly the company routinely does wrong by their people and delivers well below expectations. I would consider myself, at the time, one of the most promising members of the FSF at PM USA nationally. My ratings, awards, and recognitions were direct indicators of my value to the organization. I worked dilligently to grow the business within my assigned territory, assisted others in their business development, and took great pride in my work in contributing to the overall strength development of PM USA via recruiting, training, and other programs. Somehow, after all of these contributions, I was never given the advancement opportunities that I was promised. PM USA routinely takes advantage of their people, seeking to get as much out of them as they can by promsing grand futures that are never delivered. The road to the top at PM USA is paved with mindless positions where individuals can never reach high 6 figure earnings.

Philip Morris is great however, at promoting and developing the "politically correct" managers. If you are a female minority you have a great shot at being sent up the ladder, regardless how glaring your lack of talent or intelligence. The FSF and HQ staff is littered by under-qualified products of affirmative action. This is not bitterness speaking, it is simply the sad truth.

I have used my PM experience to my benefit, as I moved into a new professional selling position with a more aggressive organization in medical sales. Talents are universal, I'm quickly learning that they can be applied to other business units with greater results than previously experienced at PM.

Advice to Senior ManagementPM USA is losing all of its good people, and will eventually be left with the bottom of the barrel members who are content with mediocrity. Simply said, your company needs an overhaul.

Philip Morris favoring style over substance

Unit Manager (Current Employee)
Fresno, CA

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

ProsGreat benefits, maybe the best in the CPG industry. Solid pay. Autonomy to do the job. Freedom to pursue challenging assignments and contribute in a larger way to the organization. The retirement plan is phenomenal. As a long-time employee, I get a tradtional pension (very generous) as well as 15% of my annual salary in profit sharing whether or not I contribute a dime. Company car (Dodge Charger), which in this day and age is probably a $15,000 a year benefit.

ConsIt's tobacco, which means there is still a stigma that far exceeds that of any other CPG company. Management is focused on promoting University relations candidates over experienced candidates. As a result, getting promoted is nearly impossible unless you were recruited from a UR school. The criteria seems arbitrary. In spite of glowing reviews from colleagues and supervisors, I was never considered for a promotion as I was an "experienced hire."
Working conditions can be dismal. Many local accounts are dirty with no air conditioning. In the summer, it can be unbearable. The leadership skills of many of the new managers are non-existent as they simply do not have the experience to effectively run a $100MM business. Management is focused on promoting UR candidates every 18 months. With very little leadership training, they are ill prepared to do the job they are in much less a job with more scope. Because initiatives come fast and furious most managers are simply sending reps to work., trying to keep their heads above water as the scrutiny can be unbearable. As a result, nothing they do is part of a larger plan or strategy. I fear the leadership capabilities of our future managers will really suffer as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more deeply involved in the day to day leadership development. Don't assume it's happening, because it is not. Scrutinize everyone who is up for a promotion. The current "Check-in" process is a joke. 20 minutes is simply not enough time to assess if someone is ready to lead a large organization. Furthermore, every manager has a vested monetary and career interest in promoting folks. Without rigorous examination of future leaders, the process becomes compromised as folks are tempted to pass people along whether or not they are ready. It would also help if executives could clearly articulate what they are looking for in future leaders. In speaking to the Western Region VP, he indicated that he is looking for "leadership, creativity and perspective." When I asked him for examples, he became exasperated and said it is not something he could write down. I indicated that if he could not articulate what leadership, creativity and perspective look like, it's possible his process is broken. It was very dissapointing to see a senior executive so ill at ease with talking about the promotional process.

Great training, good pay, but don't stay here long

Territory Sales Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

ProsGreat sales training, decent pay and benefits. Working for such a large company does look good on your resume. You will actually learn quite a bit by having to work around the massive amounts of red tape.

ConsYou will be worked like a dog- the workload has increased dramatically. No creativity in the job. Advancement opportunities are awful. Company is downsizing to compensate for the decline in volume over the last 20 years.

Management tends to really drink the Kool-Aid and will rarely answer a question honestly. Expect to get an answer that includes part of the mission statement or values.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with your employees and be realistic about situations.

Things Are Not As They Appear

Sales (Current Employee)

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

ProsGood pay and great benefits

ConsGood Ole Boy Network still abounds which prevents career advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the competence of your VP's and determine whether they are acting in the best interest of the company, or doing things for self preservation.

Worked for Philip Morris USA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Philip Morris USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Philip Morris USA CEO William F. (Billy) Gifford Jr. All 54 reviews posted anonymously by Philip Morris USA employees.