Philip Morris USA

Just a job

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Philip Morris USA

Pros

Great Benefits, Company car with all expenses paid,

Cons

Little room for advancement unless your were willing to relocate or were one of the "chosen ones". You have no input into how things are done in your territory. Heavy workload, especially for the salary.

You must realize that each territory is different and you can't conitue to "grade" your sales managers based on a "cookie cutter" standard/objectives.

Touch

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

Pros

Benefits Package, vehicle, pay is competitive but beginning to become less competitive vs. the work and hours we put in.

Cons

Very political to advance within the company. Too many chiefs, not enough Indians. Same salary even though we bought 2 more companies and do their work too on top of our old existing jobs. No thanks from management or senior leadership. Upper management is afraid to challenge or disagree with senior managers and VPs+.

Step in our shoes once in a while and see the hard work and dedication that gets done even with all the problems that come our way from our own leaders screw ups.

Getting paid to learn

Current Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

Pros

A sales internship offers unbeatable compensation and benefits (paid cell phone, gas, lunches, Starbucks) and asks very little in return. The hours are more than reasonable (often less than 40) and the responsibility is not great. PMUSA invests a phenomenal amount of money in the sales interns largely for the purpose of training and recruiting potential full time hires. Internship includes multiple fully paid days in Richmond, VA learning about PMUSA's management and corporate structure.

Cons

The internship position can be boring at times, in that the duties of a full time hire are not incredibly exciting. You are never asked to do any menial tasks (getting coffee, making copies etc), but a lot of the job is repetitive (visiting retailers trying to accomplish the same task many times)

Management at the company should be more responsive to the learning desires of individuals that fall outside the role that they are attempting to recruit for (ie financial and consulting skills)

Great company to intern with

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

Pros

Big name company to put on your resume. Nothing says, "I can sell" like having Philp Morris on there. Also they paid for everything. Food, gas, oil changes, materials. Management was very nice and understanding

Cons

Retailers you're meeting with often don't want to give you the time of day. The stores are sometimes dirty.

Keep it up

research here

I worked at Philip Morris USA

Pros

it has very good facility, it also has good equipment, you will feel not too much pressure, the center is in good location

Cons

you will feel very confused about research direction, the technical management is poor, I do not feel the career ladder there

i reallly do not have much adivce since i am just start here for a while and decided to change to another company

Migraines and Growing Pains

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

Pros

Stellar Benefits including 15% payment into DPS, Medical, Dental, & Vision benefits, education reimburesement without strings attached, 14 holidays and 15 vacations after first 6 months, and standard salary

Cons

Work-life balance is non-existent and at times makes it look like you are working for nothing. The advancement process is worse than reality television. The company used to care about people and know only cares about meeting Wall Street's expectations. HQ never has a plan finalized when it is presented to the sales force - it's changed 3 times before it actually starts and then again before it's over. And if you ever want to manage people and make 6-figures, be prepared to move at least 4 times.

If you truly want leaders, create an environment to build them, not overwork them out of the company. Also, make sure any plans you have, test them with a few smart people and get some feedback before you frustrate all 1800 sales people.

Not much room for creativity, but great company to work for.

Current Employee - Corporate Communications in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Corporate Communications in New York, NY

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

Pros

Great Money. Unless you are working for the oil industry, you can't do much better than this. As an intern I made $23/hr before my senior year of school.

The name on your resume also speaks volumes, as it is very tough to get hired here.

Cons

Stiff corporate culture and good ole boy network. I hear they have relaxed the dress code, but when I was there it was still suits and ties every day, which gets old very quickly.

Not much. They do a great job communicating.

it's ok, not great

Current Employee - Unit Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Philip Morris USA

Pros

The pay is good probably better than most, the benefits are excellent as well as DPS second to none. Also there is job security in the industry since it is a mature industry as well as acquisitions in growth categories.

Cons

Downsides include work/life balance--more work that you can ever finish in a lifetime. Mobility is necessary for any advancement and you can be sent anywhere in the US. The promotion process is intense and there is a lot of uncertainty around it. You dont apply for a position you present a presentation in hopes of getting some position somewhere in some department. In addition, with acquisitions comes more work with same pay.

have a clear process for the advancement process

Good job for the money, but you get bored easily.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Philip Morris USA

Pros

The benefits are outstanding. They really do want you to forget that you are selling a product that kills people. You get a van and 3 weeks vacation right off the bat. They used to have a pension plan but now they are back to having a matching 401 k like everyone else. Just wait until you see the annual review process.

Cons

You must be an intern from a college where they recruited you from to have a real chance of promotion. They prefer to have their chosen ones promoted. Now with the planned cutbacks in the sales force, promotions are fewer to give these days.

Tell us where you see the company in 5 years and how many people will be left working there.

Better than you might think

Former Employee - Lead Technical Analyst in Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Technical Analyst in Richmond, VA

I worked at Philip Morris USA

Pros

If you are fortunate enough to work for one of the progressive areas in the company, the experience can be rewarding and challenging. The overall compensation and benefits package is very strong and Senior Management encourages employee development. Most managers respect work - life balance decisions but there are notable exceptions.

Cons

Some managers & directors push too much "overhead" on to employees. There are too many well meaning but inefficient processes that saddle employees with additional work on Leadership or Role Identification that ultimately does not help Management or the "Rank and File". I've heard many colleagues complain of being harassed over completing a "career development" task while the real work gets pushed aside and deadlines are missed.

Re-evaluate how much time is truly spent on formulaic "employee development" and reduce the emphasis accordingly