Philip Morris USA

Updated June 13, 2014

3.7

Philip Morris USA President & CEO Cliff B. Fleet
Cliff B. Fleet

Pros
  • Great Benefits, Company car with all expenses paid, (in 7 reviews)

• Philip Morris USA offers high quality training programs as well as competitive pay and benefits (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work / Life balance can get wacky if you let it (in 4 reviews)

• Little room for advancement unless your were willing to relocate or were one of the "chosen ones" (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

it's ok, not great

Current Employee - Unit Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

The pay is good probably better than most, the benefits are excellent as well as DPS second to none. Also there is job security in the industry since it is a mature industry as well as acquisitions in growth categories.

Cons

Downsides include work/life balance--more work that you can ever finish in a lifetime. Mobility is necessary for any advancement and you can be sent anywhere in the US. The promotion process is intense and there is a lot of uncertainty around it. You dont apply for a position you present a presentation in hopes of getting some position somewhere in some department. In addition, with acquisitions comes more work with same pay.

have a clear process for the advancement process

Great company - Get ready to work hard.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Knoxville, TN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Great team atmosphere. There is a real culture of sharing among teammates and others in the company. Managment is very involved in your development - however, it can sometimes be too much.

Cons

It can be very difficult to stop working. The company demands a lot from its employees, and there is always work that can be done, as with any job where you work from home. It seems like upper managment isn't very clued in to what is going on in the field. It can be very difficult to manage and motivate people to execute your personal intiatives when there is already so much on their plates.

Don't forget the little people.

Good place to start a career out of college

Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

It is a nice place to start a career out of college. The pay is very reasonable for a recent college graduate. They also provide a nice bonus based on performance and profit-sharing abilites. I had an internship with them the summer before my senior year and was offered a job so they do hire people who take internships with them. Something like 67% of the interns were offered jobs.

Cons

I feel as though the employees opinions are not taken into very much consideration. I try to talk to the senior management about ideas i have and in turn i am turned away.

I would advise senior management to listen more to what floor personnel are saying. They do not take enough time to get the point of view of the lower employees who have experience in making the products great.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good job for the money, but you get bored easily.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

The benefits are outstanding. They really do want you to forget that you are selling a product that kills people. You get a van and 3 weeks vacation right off the bat. They used to have a pension plan but now they are back to having a matching 401 k like everyone else. Just wait until you see the annual review process.

Cons

You must be an intern from a college where they recruited you from to have a real chance of promotion. They prefer to have their chosen ones promoted. Now with the planned cutbacks in the sales force, promotions are fewer to give these days.

Tell us where you see the company in 5 years and how many people will be left working there.

Better than you might think

Former Employee - Lead Technical Analyst  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Technical Analyst in Richmond, VA

Pros

If you are fortunate enough to work for one of the progressive areas in the company, the experience can be rewarding and challenging. The overall compensation and benefits package is very strong and Senior Management encourages employee development. Most managers respect work - life balance decisions but there are notable exceptions.

Cons

Some managers & directors push too much "overhead" on to employees. There are too many well meaning but inefficient processes that saddle employees with additional work on Leadership or Role Identification that ultimately does not help Management or the "Rank and File". I've heard many colleagues complain of being harassed over completing a "career development" task while the real work gets pushed aside and deadlines are missed.

Re-evaluate how much time is truly spent on formulaic "employee development" and reduce the emphasis accordingly

Look before you leap on OR off this train

Current Employee - Machinist  in  Richmond, VA
    Current Employee - Machinist in Richmond, VA

Pros

Great company and wonderful pay

Cons

It used to be a family to work for. I have been with the company for over 18 years now and a lot has changed for the negative toward the employees

Please listen to not only your peers but the lower people on the floor. They have a brain and have made the company with their hard work.

Great experience with Philip Morris USA

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Boise, ID
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Boise, ID

Pros

Great people, overall strong work ethic, wonderful intern program, continuous challenges and changing environment

Cons

Organizational structure is often somewhat inconsistent, managers often not on the same "page"

Remain consistent within different units/districts, etc.

A good company to launch a career out of college.

Former Employee - Unit Manager  in  Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Unit Manager in Knoxville, TN

Pros

Provides on-going quality training for all levels of the organization.

Cons

Society's view of working for a tobacco company.

Continue to evaluate workloads within the organization as you bring additional companies into the fold as a part of the adjacency strategy.

No, Thanks.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Hartford, CT

Pros

Philip Morris USA offers high quality training programs as well as competitive pay and benefits. The team environment is fun and often results in the formation of many personal relationships with peers in the organization.

Cons

Philip Morris USA promises the word to talented members of the organization, however sadly the company routinely does wrong by their people and delivers well below expectations. I would consider myself, at the time, one of the most promising members of the FSF at PM USA nationally. My ratings, awards, and recognitions were direct indicators of my value to the organization. I worked dilligently to grow the business within my assigned territory, assisted others in their business development, and took great pride in my work in contributing to the overall strength development of PM USA via recruiting, training, and other programs. Somehow, after all of these contributions, I was never given the advancement opportunities that I was promised. PM USA routinely takes advantage of their people, seeking to get as much out of them as they can by promsing grand futures that are never delivered. The road to the top at PM USA is paved with mindless positions where individuals can never reach high 6 figure earnings.

Philip Morris is great however, at promoting and developing the "politically correct" managers. If you are a female minority you have a great shot at being sent up the ladder, regardless how glaring your lack of talent or intelligence. The FSF and HQ staff is littered by under-qualified products of affirmative action. This is not bitterness speaking, it is simply the sad truth.

I have used my PM experience to my benefit, as I moved into a new professional selling position with a more aggressive organization in medical sales. Talents are universal, I'm quickly learning that they can be applied to other business units with greater results than previously experienced at PM.

PM USA is losing all of its good people, and will eventually be left with the bottom of the barrel members who are content with mediocrity. Simply said, your company needs an overhaul.

Philip Morris favoring style over substance

Current Employee - Unit Manager  in  Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Unit Manager in Fresno, CA

Pros

Great benefits, maybe the best in the CPG industry. Solid pay. Autonomy to do the job. Freedom to pursue challenging assignments and contribute in a larger way to the organization. The retirement plan is phenomenal. As a long-time employee, I get a tradtional pension (very generous) as well as 15% of my annual salary in profit sharing whether or not I contribute a dime. Company car (Dodge Charger), which in this day and age is probably a $15,000 a year benefit.

Cons

It's tobacco, which means there is still a stigma that far exceeds that of any other CPG company. Management is focused on promoting University relations candidates over experienced candidates. As a result, getting promoted is nearly impossible unless you were recruited from a UR school. The criteria seems arbitrary. In spite of glowing reviews from colleagues and supervisors, I was never considered for a promotion as I was an "experienced hire."
    Working conditions can be dismal. Many local accounts are dirty with no air conditioning. In the summer, it can be unbearable. The leadership skills of many of the new managers are non-existent as they simply do not have the experience to effectively run a $100MM business. Management is focused on promoting UR candidates every 18 months. With very little leadership training, they are ill prepared to do the job they are in much less a job with more scope. Because initiatives come fast and furious most managers are simply sending reps to work., trying to keep their heads above water as the scrutiny can be unbearable. As a result, nothing they do is part of a larger plan or strategy. I fear the leadership capabilities of our future managers will really suffer as a result.

Get more deeply involved in the day to day leadership development. Don't assume it's happening, because it is not. Scrutinize everyone who is up for a promotion. The current "Check-in" process is a joke. 20 minutes is simply not enough time to assess if someone is ready to lead a large organization. Furthermore, every manager has a vested monetary and career interest in promoting folks. Without rigorous examination of future leaders, the process becomes compromised as folks are tempted to pass people along whether or not they are ready. It would also help if executives could clearly articulate what they are looking for in future leaders. In speaking to the Western Region VP, he indicated that he is looking for "leadership, creativity and perspective." When I asked him for examples, he became exasperated and said it is not something he could write down. I indicated that if he could not articulate what leadership, creativity and perspective look like, it's possible his process is broken. It was very dissapointing to see a senior executive so ill at ease with talking about the promotional process.

Worked for Philip Morris USA? Contribute to the Community!