Philips Electronics

Updated November 21, 2014
3.6

Philips Electronics President and CEO Frans van Houten
Frans van Houten

Pros
  • For the most part, the work weeks were short and supported work/life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Extremely Flexible Working hours (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • All the talk about work-life balance can be often just hogwash (in 7 reviews)

• Decision making process can be improve and expediate (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

MR FSE

Current Employee - FSE in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - FSE in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Philips Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Company to work for

Cons

constant streamlining while doing job

Slow. Slow. Slow

I have been working at Philips Electronics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid benefits and compensation packages. Vast array of colleague experience spread across the world. Brand value is very high and the company undertakes many initiatives to try and fix their issues.

Cons

Too many middle managers and senior managers. There are managers' managing managers' managers. Its very difficult to have any upward movement. Collaboration tools are poor, and there is still internal competition amongst business sectors competing for the same customers.

Break down the reporting layers. Create an organization that supports the innovation initiative. The employee base need to "un-learn" the Philips way of the past 100 years. Let's be honest also, the last strategic innovation was the compact disc....1983?

This was a waste of time. P&F is the secret name they use.

Former Employee - IT Technical Support Agent
    Former Employee - IT Technical Support Agent

I worked at Philips Electronics part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I was always paid on time. HR worked with you when you were able to find him. Since everyone there were friends with each other often times employees were able to create their own work schedule. This became a problem after a while because no one wanted to work the weekend ( 8:45-9) for the same amount just because no one else wanted to do the work.

Cons

Training was a joke; we spent a week going over products that the employees said were crap. No room to grow unless your someone's drinking partner or you know them from high school. None of the Full time employees care about really doing whats morally right. They care about getting people off the phone and not fixing the problem.

I worked as a Technical Support agent for P&F. I was one of the 1st to come in with their new staff.. I have a degree and was willing to do any and everything. Until I saw that all of the promotions were given to the managements friends and drinking partners. I wish they would consider the people who had degrees in relevant areas. No one with a Art degree should get a promotion over a person with a Technical degree at a Technical Job. It makes no sense. Write ups are only given to African American employees. If you are hired for this position as a PART TIME WORKER. Then you should work PART TIME hours. All of the PART TIME workers were working 40+ hours. This sounds great ideally. In the end it bites you in the butt because they punish you for saying you cannot work over time.

Research Assistant

I have been working at Philips Electronics

Pros

Have a good time working with my classmates and professors. more free time and objectives

Cons

No explicit promoting rule or other regulations.

Not what I expected

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at Philips Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were very nice and really seemed to care about each other. For the most part, the work weeks were short and supported work/life balance.

Cons

While turning in great profits, Philips continued to cut jobs to show even better profits. It gave you the impression that you truly were just a number, not a valued resource that was counted on for future success.

Invest in your people for the future instead of looking at the short term bottom line.

Philips is a great company but local management may not be up to the task.

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Philips Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Corporate Cares about employees.

Cons

Your local supervisor may not be the best manager.

Manage your business leaders and don't let them run the roost with no oversight

Just good.

I worked at Philips Electronics full-time

Pros

As a senior manager, the benefit and pay are good. There are lots of exciting project going on.

Cons

If you are an ordinary worker, you pay and benefit are not very good.

High road

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Andover, MA

I worked at Philips Electronics full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people to work with, great company, great opportunities, great products

Cons

poor management, no work life balance

more middle management supervision

Good company

I worked at Philips Electronics

Pros

Great people to work with in the United States. Disconnect with HQ in The Netherlands. They don't market products well.

Cons

Not a market leader, can't capitalize on the innovations and inventions they make. Not a great marketer of their products.

The antithesis of their one time slogan "Philips - Sense and Sensibility".

Former Employee - Technical Account Manager (ISite PACS) in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Account Manager (ISite PACS) in Foster City, CA

I worked at Philips Electronics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation and benefits package. Clean and appealing work environment. Good public image.

Cons

I observed a pattern of poor planning, noticeable chaos, and dissension among management. One prominent example was the dictation that employees perform routine work contributing toward the development of a "knowledge base" system to be implemented to assist technical support staff members. The work was submitted; however little feedback, followup or develop was provided by management. More disappointingly the proposed knowledge base was never implemented. I could provide many other such examples. Bottom line, I would not recommend (at least in my division) Philips as an employer. I'm disappointed to say that my experience with Philips was an impression of the most dysfunctional corporate environment I had encountered in my 30 year career. I would hope that my experience was limited to the Information Technologies subdivision of Philips Healthcare. Hopefully, the are other people whose observations were more positive than my own. Remember, this is a subjective opinion of one person.

Understand what your line employees do; what policies, procedures, work flow, tools, etc. are productive, efficient, in line with corporate objectives, follow corporate philosophy AND listen to the people who communicate most directly with your customer base, and indeed your customers themselves!

Philips Electronics Photos