Philips Healthcare

Updated November 11, 2014
Updated November 11, 2014
3.3

Frans van Houten

Pros
  • Globally recognized company does take extra steps to make sure that you do have good work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Ii is stable company with good benefits (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, they will work you to death if you let them (in 14 reviews)

• The mentality of both the company and the upper management has changed for the worse (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

42 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stable, but lots of red tape and politics

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent work life balance, laid back atmosphere. Pay is not bad

Cons

TONS of red tape. Executives don't seem to know where to steer the company vision towards

Philips Healthcare takes pride in what it manufactures, however, lack of leadership continues to fail its employees.

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Healthcare is an excellent place to be. Philips has better than average benefits and flexible, for the most part, with work life balances.

Cons

Unfortunately, Philips being a public traded company cares more about the stock strength than whether an excellent employee keeps their job. When it does (which has often over the past 3 years) lay people off, they do not look at the true issues of why they struggle at being successful. Their Sales Operations management is failing this Philips miserably, but the management seems to remain. They continually let their field sales teams down and keep them from succeeding. Philips' incentive management has had 300% turnover in the past couple years and can't seem to find replacements. It has to do with their management (director and sr manager levels).

Advice to the executive leadership: your HR needs to be more honest with you about why you lose you EXCELLENT employees to other companies or through your layoffs. You sales teams are excellent - unfortunately their sales operations teams fail them, along with their tools to make Philips successful. Take a look at overhauling your Sales Operations leadership and your HR leadership and see improvements.

Collections

Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Collections Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Plenty of work, good co-workers

Cons

Prioties changed on a daily basis. goals not obtainable with the tools given to use. Too many management and direction changes.

Look to your in the trenches people for advice as to what is really happening in the market place.

Great Company to work for!

Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Clinical Specialist in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, nice people, fun job!

Cons

Hard to move up, favor Dutch males.

Enjoyed my time there. Supportive environment

Former Employee - Senior Manager Finance in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager Finance in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Big company, decent compensation packet. Most people enjoy working there, a sense of working for a company that is doing good things for people. Doing things that matter.

Cons

Big company, hard to make changes to processes, a lot of wheel spinning. People at the top rarely change, so group think is a problem. Decisions seem to be reactive rather than strategic.

While you put on the "let's get closer to the customer" face, the reality is that the processes are not getting you there. Need to push decision making down the ladder a bit.

Room for growth!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunities for career advancement within the company. Excellent compensation and benefits package. Annual employee engagement surveys to gauge employee satisfaction and areas of improvement needed.

Cons

The time it takes to have a policy changed.

Ensure everyone is pulling their own weight.

They do not care about their employees

Former Employee - Test Technician in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Test Technician in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Healthcare as a contractor

Pros

Everything is very well organized which maximizes work flow. There are also very simple procedures to follow to get the work done correctly and efficiently.

Cons

Management is terrible. I was hired as a Temp and was aware that my contract could end anytime. Towards the end of the fourth quarter, there were a lot of lay offs being made. I was informed by someone of high status than I that I was safe, and will remain employed. I received a call 4 days later telling me I was laid off. Since I had no planned on it because I was told I will not be laid off, I had no backup plans. All while finishing school, so now I'm $35,000 in debt and unemployed with an BS degree in EE. Since I also only worked there for 4 months... it isn't enough experience for potential employers to want you.

Quit thinking about the money. Philips has always been about its people... so focus on the people. Not just the consumers but the people who actually matter and help RUN philips.

Great Technology but poor management and culture

I have been working at Philips Healthcare full-time

Pros

Always looking for innovative technology, most people are passionate about their job.

Cons

Some Sr. Management is more interested in managing their career first over the business. Company culture is to point fingers and pass blame rather then trying to fix the challenges and problems together. HR should be more involved when seeing high turnover in specific departments. Maybe the problem is not the team but the manager

Listen and empower individuals. Make middle management accountable - Allow HR to support staff and not always kowtow to management. I have seen to many good people leave or forced out because of poor management

Company used consulting firm to determine workforce and eliminated true workers

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Company has a great product line
    Dutch company that does try to be humane to employees

Cons

Healthcare Accelerate program = layoffs = Healthcare Reform Adoption
    Restricting salaries hiring inexperienced people.
    New CEO was faced with drastic moves due to prior management.
    Employees are concerned about employment stability

You have good people and you do not realize it. Your business is upside down. Performance decreasing and customer loyalty is drifting documented in trade consultant reports. This was a great company to work for. I hope that in the not too distant future it will again.

Current Employee -- Disappointed with the company's new direction

Current Employee - Commercial Operations Specialist in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Commercial Operations Specialist in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Philips Healthcare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and OK pay. The team I work with is fantastic and really work hard to get things done.

Cons

They say they promote from within, but only if you have the number of years of experience doing exactly the job description you are applying for. Stressful and exhausting during month-end mandatory overtime.

Learn your employees strengths and weaknesses. Utilize the talents of your employees to better the company and the world.

Philips Healthcare Photos