Philips Healthcare

Updated August 18, 2014
Updated August 18, 2014

3.3

Frans van Houten

Pros
  • Globally recognized company does take extra steps to make sure that you do have good work/life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Ii is stable company with good benefits (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance, they will work you to death if you let them (in 11 reviews)

• The mentality of both the company and the upper management has changed for the worse (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company to work for.

Current Employee - Biomedical Tech II
    Current Employee - Biomedical Tech II

Pros

Great co-workers and environment. Big company that seems to care about its employees. Decent pay and benefits.

Cons

Sometimes hospital staff can be very demanding, but I guess that comes with the job.

It's not saying "No" to the customer if you explain to them exactly what their contract covers.

Rewarding challenges

Former Employee - Ultrasound Sales Product Applications Specialist
    Former Employee - Ultrasound Sales Product Applications Specialist

Pros

Cutting-edge of imaging technologies, workflow, and functionality made the work always interesting and fun.

Cons

Territory covered was too large, very long hours of combined work & driving, and too much time away from home. This transitioned from 25-40% in my first 6 years and peaked at 65-90% in my last year.

better control to assure work-life balance and defining what that really means to middle managers who came from outside Philips and never really experienced what once was great

Good, big company jobs

Former Employee - R&D Manager  in  Andover, MA
    Former Employee - R&D Manager in Andover, MA

Pros

Medical product design work can be extremely satisfying. Philips makes interesting medical products which save peoples lives. You will make a contribution to these products, and can often see them in use in hospitals and medical clinics

Cons

Very large organization, can make it hard to move up. You have to work hard to be visible to upper management

Spend more time wandering around and talking with the employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Innovative company with great culture

Current Employee - Supply Chain
    Current Employee - Supply Chain

Pros

Philips Healthcare is a company with a legacy for innovative products, a multicultural work environment and offices located worldwide. Generous benefits, great work-life balance, autonomy in your work, and some growth potential make Philips an attractive employer. Currently there is an initiative to drive Lean principles and instill a process improvement mindset, which is having a positive impact on company morale as we operate more efficiently. This is a move in the right direction and a necessary step for a company of this size to be competitive. Employees are being encouraged to take ownership of their processes as opposed to adhering to what was a top-down management style. I think Philips has a bright future despite the pain it is experiencing this year due to lower volume in the medical devices industry.

Cons

Compensation seems to be at 80% of industry in my department and ascension within the department is slow with limited opportunities. However, education enrichment is encouraged. The majority of the department are at the same job level regardless of experience; though, compensation may vary depending on length of time at Philips and performance review results. It seems there would be better employee retention if salary and job title was commensurate with experience. Also, the impact of a recent management shake-up may be felt later in the year.

Best culture ever, in my entire career. Ask anyone that worked at my site, they'll probably say the same thing.

Former Employee - Electrical Design Engineer  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Electrical Design Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

I made lifelong friends, received the best engineering mentorship of my entire career, and was able to work with a seasoned group of really nice and funny people. I actually wanted to come to work every day.

My manager was also very cool about coming into work not-so-perfectly on time. I really appreciated that.

Cons

Constant changing of upper management, re-orgs, etc. This makes it quite difficult to move up. In fact, at least at my site, there wasn't much of a prospect of moving up past a certain point.

I hope they don't lose that small-sized family atmosphere that honestly, is unrivaled in any other company which I've worked. The management *seemed* to be very transparent with everyone, and the direction of the company was rarely a mystery. I hear that has changed in recent times.

Good Company to work for

Pros

Fast paced and challenging. Some interesting people to get to know in the department, lots of changes being made

Cons

Department is being reorganized and alos outsourced as well. Accounts are being shuffled around frequently hard to get settled with the portfolio. Changes in the department direction not clearly defined.

Listen to your employees

Great people, decent products, many headwinds sadly many self inflicted

Pros

Passion of employees
    A brand that could be great
    Broad portfolio of solutions

Cons

Senior leadership chasing the short term at the expense of long term. Destroying culture, cost cutting is not a growth strategy and can have devastating impact on quality, morale and long term viability.

Be courageous and strategic to be the best for customers and patients and profits will follow. Be ruled by chasing artificial wall street expectations and continue to languish until they move on to another investment.

Great company - unrealistic expectations

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer II

Pros

This company provides great benefits. The technology is top of the line in ultrasound. Maintains a great customer base.

Cons

Philips sets up the field service engineer to fail. The expectations are unrealistic . . . you must somehow get 20 hours of work done in an 8 hour period. There is no such thing as a work life balance. There is only a work, work, work, and work some more attitude. There is only so much OT that one person can physically give. The leadership does not work to develop field service engineers - newbies are trained fairly well but "old-timers" are rarely offered education - mostly because there are too few employees to cover while someone attends any training. Customer surveys are a complete JOKE! We are told we must get the top score of 9 or 10 in every category or ELSE. However, parts are delayed, parts often show up defective which prolongs customer down time - yet, the engineer is the one held accountable. We are monitored by no less than 20 different sets of metrics and are expected to fall within a certain range. Some of these numbers, we have no control over ourselves as they are dependent upon corporate processes that are lacking. I would not recommend Philips unless you are looking for a position where you will work 60+ hours per week, constantly berated for failing to meet one metric or another, and have no life other than your job.

Stop focusing on metrics unless the individual field service engineer has complete control of that metric. Focus on great customer service - HIRE ENOUGH PEOPLE TO GET THE JOB DONE!!! Quality customer service cannot be achieved when your people are spread so thin that they cannot physically maintain the workload. Address the issue of defective parts - who is being held accountable for this? Streamline documentation processes - it's a real problem when a 20 minute repair requires 1.5 hours to document.

N/A

Pros

Nothing to write home about

Cons

Lack of direction and experience within senior management

To much load placed on field personel. Customer facing employees (service, apps and sales) are stressed.

Current Employee - Field Service Engineer II

Pros

World wide company that is innovative and serious about R and D.
    Average benefits,
    hard working people
    leadership at the lower levels are ok.
    some good advancement opportunities if you have a degree and be aggressive.

Cons

Management from mid to top has no clue what the customer facing folks are dealing with. Poor logistics and red tape causes paperwork issues that are difficult to resolve and left to the field to workout. The way cost centers are organized has lead to many and hardened silos. Lower management will not drive issues UP.

Count your hands on people. The people that repair, build, teach and sell your product. Then count everyone else, what is the ratio? That everyone else should have one mind set. If I am not dealing directly with the customer than my job is to support those that are.

Worked for Philips Healthcare? Contribute to the Community!