Philips Lighting

Philips Lighting Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Philips Lighting CEO Frans van Houten

Frans van Houten

Pros:
  • "Great work life balance - by far the best experience I have had"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Good working environment, open corporate culture"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Almost no onsite or global exposure; being a subsidiary of parent company - too much dependency on Holland counterpart"
    in 4 reviews
  • "There is a high potential program, this is a blessing as well as a curse, since it means that if you are not a high-potential, you are a no-potential"
    in 2 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

No clue in M&A Integration; pathethetically slow in decision making and grasp of issues

Manchester, NH

ProsBenefits are superb
Commercially astute legal counsel in supporting opportunities
Good individual contributor sales professionals
Good lighting expertise superior to GE

ConsSenior management ineffective and protect other equally ineffective management within staff
Lack of diversity in senior ranks. Females are virtually non-existent in senior ranks
Slow at embracing change... So slooooow unbelievable

Advice to Senior ManagementHire someone that knows how to integrate acquisitions and cares about performance.

very positive and laid-back working atmosphere; mgmt gives you autonomy to perform your duties

Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting

Prosautonomy; low-stress work environment; opportunities for advancement within the company; supportive co-workers and supervisors; comfortable office setting; meaningful work projects.

Constoo much autonomy may not work for some people, especially those who like to be micro-managed; can be too laid-back for some people.

Advice to Senior ManagementI appreciate the interactions I had with the leadership at Philips Lighting, but definitely stay involved with the work of your subordinates and be there to offer advice and support to make them better employees and contributors to the company.

Philips provides an excellent opportunity to for growth, but finds it hard to keep the best employees.

Black Belt (Current Employee)

I have been working at Philips Lighting

ProsExcellent training; great mentors/coaches if you can get your hands on one; slightly above average benefits package; leading innovator in the industry.

ConsExclusive "high potential" program that inherently shuts out working mothers (inability to relocate, needs to minimize travel, etc.); fails to clean out the poor performers; poor "hire to fit" practices resulting in managers who are lacking essential skills.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverhaul your management training program. Mandate training to ensure the essential skills are there (project management, performance coaching, etc.).

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

learn a lot, interesting experience

Engineer (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

Prostechnical learning
people development
result driven but also process driven
in general, it is a good experience working there
enjoyable

Consspeed is not as fast as expectation; technically speaking, it is not too high tech.
design for needs and marketing

Great People

Somerset, NJ

I worked at Philips Lighting

ProsHonestly, people that work at Philips are smart and seem to care about their job and also about their coworkers. There was great team atmosphere and the work/life balance was excellent as long as you got your work done.

ConsThere seemed to be somewhat of a disconnect between commecial and professional lighting teams. It was as if they were two different companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue innovating.

Not inspiring when global strategy is to move to Chinese locations and shut down domestic production.

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
Danville, KY

I worked at Philips Lighting

ProsStable organization. No real danger of being fired. There is a high tolerance of poor performers.

ConsNot a very progressive and smart business - alot of waste and mismanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop moving to China and stay loyal to the communities which made Philips succesful. You will lose all respect in the market for poor quality and being a cheap producer. Reward talent and remove poor performers. Stop wasting so many resources.

designer

Fall River, MA

I have been working at Philips Lighting

ProsHorizontal freedom to design and engineer, but not open to new ideas

ConsConservative, they are a follower not a leader

Advice to Senior Managementbecome aware of what competitors are doing

Awesome place to work

Design Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Philips Lighting

Prosgreat place to work. leaders in the field . would love to go back and work. very qualified colleagues. excellent place to start.

Conssalary is mediocre. but improves after a few years. the internship program is awesome and lets you learn the in and outs of the company

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people. dont buy every company but do more deisng work in house. dont let important people leave. keep employees more motivated.

Lots of change

Product Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Philips Lighting

ProsThe brand always "opens the door" with prospects--you can get people's attention. The company also has really good resources which might be available.

ConsHuge bureaucracy and slow decision making. The company is it's own worst enemy, frequently getting in its own way. I couldn't count on the company making the right decisions to match the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry being direct in the North American way with North American business. Being direct in the Dutch way is problematic here.

great life balance, nice people to work with

I worked at Philips Lighting

Prosgreat work and life balance, mobile/remote office enabled, supportive people.

Constoo many applications for administrative, confused/unclear management, need to have extra miles to initiative projects.

Worked for Philips Lighting? Contribute to the Community!

Philips Lighting – Why Work for Us?

To some light is taken for granted. To others light is the one thing that makes life possible. The thing about light is that it touches and affects people in different ways, and the same is true with a workplace. At… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Philips Lighting reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Philips Lighting CEO Frans van Houten. All 87 reviews posted anonymously by Philips Lighting employees.