Philips Lighting Reviews

Updated April 20, 2015
203 reviews filtered by
Philips Lighting CEO Frans van Houten
Frans van Houten

Pros
  • work/life balance is great (if you know how to play the of office politics) (in 13 reviews)

• Good working environment, open corporate culture (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is terrible (if you're the hard working type) (in 5 reviews)

• Almost no onsite or global exposure; being a subsidiary of parent company - too much dependency on Holland counterpart (in 4 reviews)

1. Philips Tijuana Manufacturing

I have been working at Philips Lighting

Pros

Growing, dynamic, challenging, team oriented environment

Cons

Navigating corporate directives while supporting business, growth, customer ambitions

2. Very structured and "status quo" approach to marcom

I worked at Philips Lighting full-time

Pros

Well-established global brand, opportunity to collaborate with team members across different cultures/geographies, room for growth and transfer from one division of the company to another.

Cons

As a huge global corporation, it comes with the requisite bureaucracy and resistance to change that can make it difficult to execute on new ideas. It's better suited for people who prefer "status quo" structure vs. the fast-paced and adaptable nature of smaller companies. You're mainly expected to stay in your lane rather than wear many hats.

3. It

I have been working at Philips Lighting

Pros

Good benefits, a lot of changes over the last few years.

Cons

Many changes going on. Management have constantly changed over the last few years.

A lot more can be done at a company this size

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fall River, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Fall River, MA

I worked at Philips Lighting

Pros

Decent projects, a great place to make mistakes that will teach you lessons for when you get to a better company

Cons

Salary is horrible, nobody wants to take accountability, lots of people just there because that's how life ended up for them (not a lot of passion), management is atrocious.

Advice to Management

Figure it out

6. Working at Phillips you are surrounded by passionate co-workers who all want to excel and satisfy customers.

I worked at Philips Lighting

Pros

Compesation and benefits were excellent. I was able to keep my local doctor and enjoy the lower cost of benefits as part of a large group. Philips has a workforce of experienced dedicated employees that want to create winning solutions for their customers.

Cons

No good way to handle customer orders outside of specfic items in the catalog. For instance making a special size troffer to fit a special grid tee a customer has in a building.

Advice to Management

When you absorbed Genlyte - you absorbed a bunch of companies that had carved out niche markets where they could be profitable. During the rationalization of products I was concerned about the lack of cross over products to some of our long running products. I feel that hurt overall customer satisfaction because not all of our products were a direct cross to a Daybrite product - so Phillips may lose those customers to cometitors. It hurt to see that happen because I wanted Philips to satisfy all of our customers - not just some of them. You also need to work on lead time reduction and not focus on inventory cost exclusively in Tupelo. We were producing our fixtures in Franklin Park in 4 - 6 weeks from order entry to shipping dock. Tupelo lead time was longer and doen't need to be. You have a well trained work force that could deliver in a shorter lead time - not sure why that's not a priority.

7. Exciting time to be here!

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time

Pros

You have the ability to grow vertically and horizontally if you want it as there is a sense that the culture is not plagued with political nonsense that seems to affect many other large corporations. The benefits are competitive and employee resources are abundant and reflect the latest technological trends.

Cons

Departmental silos continues to be a barrier to cross-functional progress although lately it seems to be improving.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent on all aspects of the business!

Life at Philips Lumileds

Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Test Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Philips Lighting

Pros

*Of course there's lots to learn about developing LED's. Measuring light is very different from electrical test of semiconductors. The electrical testing feels like going back ten years in time, but there is a certain sophistication
    to the methods for measuring light.

At Philips quality is respected over the volume of output. I liked that. Not a sweat shop but you have to work smart. Lot of technically smart people but some missing expertise.

Personal time off is given easily for important issues.

Cons

The political atmosphere is a little restrictive.Everyone is competing for the same thesis and they try to make there's look good by criticizing others.

All decisions are joint decisions which restricts autonomy and causes people to argue a lot. It's also very conservative so new ideas are often suppressed.

Your life belongs to Philips and so expect to work long hours.

They have a lot of layoffs. T

oo many meetings and overhead.

Advice to Management

Allow people to own certain areas of responsibility and promote autonomy. Projects will move faster.

Dedicated Project managers would make sure there are no holes in the line of responsibility.

Big changes in direction are causing a loss of efficiency.

9. Technology Development Engineering

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Philips Lighting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work hand in hand with wold-wide technical teams, developing new LED technology and bring it to market.

Cons

Demanding release schedules, combined with working with remote engineering teams in Singapore, Penang Malaysia, and Shanghai require lots of evening conference calls, which can be quite exhausting.

10. Awsome place to work!

I have been working at Philips Lighting

Pros

Get opportunities, great people! Loved working for Philips

Cons

Big company progress can be slow

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

11. Fosters excellent learning environment with a lot of support from senior employees.

I worked at Philips Lighting

Pros

Learning the inner workings of a major player in the LED industry.

Cons

There were no cons working here.

Philips Lighting Photos