Philips Lighting

Philips Lighting Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Philips Lighting CEO Frans van Houten

Frans van Houten

Pros
  • Great work life balance - by far the best experience I have had(in 6 reviews)

• Good working environment, open corporate culture(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Almost no onsite or global exposure; being a subsidiary of parent company - too much dependency on Holland counterpart(in 4 reviews)

• There is a high potential program, this is a blessing as well as a curse, since it means that if you are not a high-potential, you are a no-potential(in 2 reviews)

Incredibly talented team of people with the passion and determination to continuosly innovate and improve peoples' lives

ProsHighly organized processess to identify corporate direction and measure return on investments. Exceptional diversity of personnel and talents that strive for excellence. People oreinted working environment with respectful relationships and good benefits.

ConsWith so many significant opportunities to continuosly improve, running too many concurrently can negatively impact morale and slow the rate of results.

Advice to Senior ManagementSelect the most significant opportunties for improvement and do fewer of them at a time really well rather than running many of them concurrently with less intensity.

Not stable

ProsNice people to work with

ConsCompany strategy is not consistent.

Glass ceiling for women

Management (Former Employee)

ProsGood strategies in place, but execution is challenging. Great products, some really competent people in the company, generally good reputation in market place.

ConsOpportunities for upper management positions are not given to the most qualified, pedigree is needed.often results in inexperienced managers. Women get stuck at director level.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about what diversity could do for the success of your company in upper management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An enviroment devoid of direction

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsYour birthday is a paid holiday,nothing else springs to mind.

ConsNepotism is rampant,low wages,sweltering work enviroment (for production associates),a culture of elitism,too much finger-pointing with too few solutions,an inventory system that was antiquated in 1985,a bloated and inefficient management team,the practice of "temp-to-hire" leaves them unable to attract quality people from other firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over

Directionally Confused Stale Organization

Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPaycheck, office is in a nice location

ConsOutdated, stale, unfriendly culture
    Hired me then told me they were moving my position out of state within a few months of hiring me
    Backward culture and backward staff
    Employees that have been there for many years are unwelcoming and rude to newer employees

Euro corporate

Sales Representative (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCompany focused on the future & solid performance.

ConsCorporate culture can be overbearing

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up.

Philips Lighting Farmington Office - Automotive Business Unit is a not a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Farmington Hills, MI

ProsUnder compensated
    Be careful when you negotiate the salary and bonus

ConsDont be misled by the titles that they offer during employment.
    There is no opportunity to grow and the management just kills the employee morale and enthusiasm
    Lack of leadership. Roles and responsibilities are vague
    Employee values are never considered and there is no exchange of mutual respect between management & employees
    Over emphasis on business meetings that lead no where, no quality of work
    Management doesnt like and welcome new ideas. Innovation is a "taboo". Keep doing what you are doing although it is redundant and non-value add

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease look at the employee turnover rate and you will have an clear idea about what is happening at this place
    Please take a close look at the Business Unit's performance in terms of gross revenues/profits.

Run, don't walk from this place of putrid vile

MGT (Current Employee) San Marcos, TX

ProsThe building is still standing and they've left a couple of employees with their pulse intact

Cons-Pay well below average on pay scale
    -hire many temp's and constant physical violence happens in the plant area
    -Local HR firms use this place as the butt of their jokes
    -I.T. it totally 1930's and out of sync with anything up to date
    -Management all - I mean ALL jumped ship now they have the lowest paid managers they've promoted from within as long as there is a pulse

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace all of incompetent customer service supervisors, very childish with customers
    Replace all and I do mean all of your I.T. workers from the 60's
    Begin paying a livable meaningful wage and more permanency versus temp agencies with violent employee histories in the factory
    Try to keep an educated manager for more than 6 months

Some nice people, layers of Managerment, Processes, Politics

Demand Planner (Current Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsSome of the people are very pelasant and are in a group-think mode. Traditional business is somewhat stable, but losing market share especially LED due to high price points.

ConsFor new hires, you will be challenged if part of the Genlyte aquisition. Lots of anitquated databases retrieving inforamtion, chaotic envorinment. Need to be a "change master". So many restructures with this side of the business, very difficult for a new employee. Legacy employess sceptical of anyone new.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of your layers of beurocracy. Listen to ideas of employess who have experience from better managed companies exclusive of Philips. Get the antiquated systems on aS400 like ManMan and Glovia onto SAP and get with the modern world. Stop procrastinating.

Great Company, Confused Management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits, huge pool of resources to pull from. Opportunities to move to other areas of Philips are strong and encouraged.

ConsMarketing rules. Seem to be moving to a sales and marketing company outsourcing anything that looks technical. Travel requirements from mid management up were brutal.

Worked for Philips Lighting? Contribute to the Community!