Philips North America
www.usa.philips.com Andover, MA 5000+ Employees

Philips North America Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Philips North America CEO, Chairman of the Board of Management & the Executive Committee Frans van Houten

Frans van Houten

Pros:
  • "Work-Life balance: Many colleagues left at 4pm from Monday to Thursday"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Allow employees to work from home one or two days a week"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Complex matrix environment, roadmap can be difficult to navigate"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Americans quickly get their attitude of "If you ain't Dutch, you don't mean much""
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company to work for, difficult transition time. Currently very risky best to wait for the dust to settle.

Director Business Development (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

ProsEmpowered employees. Given direction, but allowed to go get the job done. Generally strong managers who are logical and reasonable.

ConsDifficult transition time for Philips Lighting. Hyper focus on cost and constant restructuring. Good for the company long term, but unpleasant for employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile most employees understand the need for the change, work on better communication and remember these are people, not numbers. HOW you implement change is also important.

Provided a very energetic and demanding work environment.

Product Manager (Former Employee)
    Carrollton, TX

ProsVery formal. work environment. There is little room for questioning ones job responsibilities. Willingness to assist in education.

ConsNot any room for variance. Upper management tends to micro-manage with little consideration to the input of local groups and facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more control to local groups

Good company and good learning experience

Vice President (Current Employee)
    Bridgeport, CT

ProsDecent pay and dedicated employees

ConsUnorgananized. Different departments do not talk to each other causing confusion.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to each other. This will take away much frustration at lower levels.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fortunate to Work for a Company Where I'm Making a Difference

Communications Manager (Current Employee)
    Andover, MA

ProsI have been working here for a few weeks as a contractor. The other night I went home after work and during dinner I said to my wife, “You know…I’ve been fortunate to work for some really great companies (Fidelity Investments, Monster, Schneider Electric, Oracle) and I have to say that this is the first time I’ve ever truly felt that my work is actually making a difference in someone’s life. You hear people remark that all the time, to the point of it being cliché, but I can honestly say that I believe it and see how Philips cares about patients and is making a difference in the quality of people’s lives. As a contributing employee, that is a reward that is absolutely priceless.

Everyone here has been so open, accepting and nice. Whether they have been on my team directly or working cross-functionally, I was welcomed as part of the Philips team immediately. Never have I felt so welcomed…usually this take months, even years to achieve in a typical work environment. And although it may seem trivial, a lot can be said about people who pass you in the hallway who have no idea who you are and simply know that you are new, stop and say hello and are genuinely nice. Such an impactful and perfect example of the Philips culture.

Everyone strives for absolute excellence. These are not just words to Philips employees. Working in just these two weeks with Philips employees has made me want to learn more, be smarter, work harder, and do the best that I absolutely can each and every day.

Organization, structure, commitment, and work ethic are very much valued within Philips. It’s very refreshing to work in an environment that holds these values so high.

A plethora of information related to Philips corporate, healthcare, and the remaining businesses is available right at my fingertips. To be able to sit for a few days and just download and absorb all of this great information was actually enjoyable because of how easily accessible it was, how well written and concise things are, and how sensibly organized the content and material is.

My manager has been so helpful and flexible in terms of creating a schedule that works for me that includes working from home when I need to. Very refreshing!

I'm also being compensated very well!

ConsThe buildling isn't as modern or inviting as some of the places I've worked in the past. The office park is very much from the 1980's.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the upbeat messaging around brand, innovation, and making a difference in people's lives.

Outstanding place to work - if you like to work hard and play to win

Director (Current Employee)
    Andover, MA

ProsPhilips is tackling the most pressing issues of society - healthcare, sustainability, healthy living. It's big and global and complex - not everyone's cup of tea - but because of this, Philips has the horsepower to make a difference and I as an employee contribute to making that difference.

ConsIf you're a slacker, there's a lot fewer places to hide than there was in the past. The company culture has developed in a very positive way in the past few years, we're accountable and hold each other accountable. We are playing to make a difference in people's lives, to win, not just for a paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with the clear message you've been sending for the last 24 months. Don't let up and don't change direction, we're on the right track!

Bad place to work if you have or want to start a family.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe corporate campus location is close to my house so my commute is minutes vs hours when working in Boston at another company.

ConsAt the Philips corporate office, managers expect/demand employees to work at night and on weekends. There is no real work-life balance at this company. All the layoffs have resulted in way too much work for those left at the company. Such a shame as I thought this was my "forever" job.

Good learning experience

ProsFriendly environment to work in

ConsThe area is not in a city

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked as an intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Briarcliff Manor, NY

ProsPeople there are very friendly and helpful. Beautiful environment. Allow employees to work from home one or two days a week.

ConsI didn't work for long so haven't found any downside.

Leadership?

Team Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, very talented people, strong spirit, a drive to succeed

ConsToo much change in leadership, too many cooks in the kitchen that is leading to unrest

Advice to Senior Managementdecide who is running the show

Vikings with no idea how to conduct business in North America

Designer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat healthcare benefit, but that is all.

ConsPhilips buys businesses that operate well and create great product then they break them down and choke them to death while claiming all of their innovation as their own. European HQ micromanages and stifles every division to the point of crippling their performance and efficiency. Americans quickly get their attitude of "If you ain't Dutch, you don't mean much".

Advice to Senior ManagementLet your divisions manage themselves within their own expertise and especially their own country's industry and market models and methods. Realize you didn't invent everything (anything), so drop your "Dutch Masters" attitude. There is a reason you close up half of the divisions you buy.

Worked for Philips North America? Contribute to the Community!

Philips North America – Why Work for Us?

At Philips, our goal is to improve the lives of 3 billion people a year by 2025 through innovation that is designed for people, by people. We know that in order to be truly innovative, it requires you to make your… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Philips North America reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Philips North America CEO Frans van Houten. All 84 reviews posted anonymously by Philips North America employees.