Philips North America

Philips North America Reviews

Updated January 21, 2015
Updated January 21, 2015
3.4

Philips North America CEO, Chairman of the Board of Management & the Executive Committee Frans van Houten
Frans van Houten

Pros
  • Another great thing about the company is the work / life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Allow employees to work from home one or two days a week (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Complex matrix environment, difficult to navigate (in 3 reviews)

• There is no real work-life balance at this company (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Operation Manager

Current Employee - SCM in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - SCM in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Philips North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company, Good leadership, Bonus

Cons

Management style is updated, need new leadership

Loosing UP

ok company

I worked at Philips North America (more than 3 years)

Pros

great people to work with

Cons

bad work place to at

care about the people

Awesome

I worked at Philips North America

Pros

everyone gets together for exercise during lunch

Cons

i can't think of any

Company worries more about public appearance than product! (and patients???)

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Philips North America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The workers are wonderful and nice.

Cons

Management "Bullies" employee's and treat temps even worst! "VERY TOP HEAVY" Company?

Need to know the issues and work on company situations, this is the reason for the FDA indifference.

One of the better companies I have worked for, but not the best ...

I have been working at Philips North America full-time

Pros

Very good co-workers, very good immediate managers, very good benefits, some of the technology that we use is state of the art and on the leading edge.

Cons

Direction of the company does not seem to very well defined or conveyed to lower level employees and managers. Seems to be a push to streamline and make business more productive and profitable, but changes are being made that may not have been thought out before hand.

Open the flood gates of communication, if you do not know something yet then state it. Do not try to wing it and hope that something sticks. Do not just talk to the non-management personnel, listen to what they have to say as well.

Good company to work for, difficult transition time. Currently very risky best to wait for the dust to settle.

Current Employee - Director Business Development in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director Business Development in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Philips North America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Empowered employees. Given direction, but allowed to go get the job done. Generally strong managers who are logical and reasonable.

Cons

Difficult transition time for Philips Lighting. Hyper focus on cost and constant restructuring. Good for the company long term, but unpleasant for employees.

While most employees understand the need for the change, work on better communication and remember these are people, not numbers. HOW you implement change is also important.

Provided a very energetic and demanding work environment.

Former Employee - Product Manager in Carrollton, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Carrollton, TX

I worked at Philips North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very formal. work environment. There is little room for questioning ones job responsibilities. Willingness to assist in education.

Cons

Not any room for variance. Upper management tends to micro-manage with little consideration to the input of local groups and facilities.

Give more control to local groups

Fortunate to Work for a Company Where I'm Making a Difference

Current Employee - Communications Manager in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Andover, MA

I have been working at Philips North America as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

I have been working here for a few weeks as a contractor. The other night I went home after work and during dinner I said to my wife, “You know…I’ve been fortunate to work for some really great companies (Fidelity Investments, Monster, Schneider Electric, Oracle) and I have to say that this is the first time I’ve ever truly felt that my work is actually making a difference in someone’s life. You hear people remark that all the time, to the point of it being cliché, but I can honestly say that I believe it and see how Philips cares about patients and is making a difference in the quality of people’s lives. As a contributing employee, that is a reward that is absolutely priceless.

Everyone here has been so open, accepting and nice. Whether they have been on my team directly or working cross-functionally, I was welcomed as part of the Philips team immediately. Never have I felt so welcomed…usually this take months, even years to achieve in a typical work environment. And although it may seem trivial, a lot can be said about people who pass you in the hallway who have no idea who you are and simply know that you are new, stop and say hello and are genuinely nice. Such an impactful and perfect example of the Philips culture.

Everyone strives for absolute excellence. These are not just words to Philips employees. Working in just these two weeks with Philips employees has made me want to learn more, be smarter, work harder, and do the best that I absolutely can each and every day.

Organization, structure, commitment, and work ethic are very much valued within Philips. It’s very refreshing to work in an environment that holds these values so high.

A plethora of information related to Philips corporate, healthcare, and the remaining businesses is available right at my fingertips. To be able to sit for a few days and just download and absorb all of this great information was actually enjoyable because of how easily accessible it was, how well written and concise things are, and how sensibly organized the content and material is.

My manager has been so helpful and flexible in terms of creating a schedule that works for me that includes working from home when I need to. Very refreshing!

I'm also being compensated very well!

Cons

The buildling isn't as modern or inviting as some of the places I've worked in the past. The office park is very much from the 1980's.

Keep up the upbeat messaging around brand, innovation, and making a difference in people's lives.

Good company and good learning experience

Current Employee - Vice President in Bridgeport, CT
    Current Employee - Vice President in Bridgeport, CT

I have been working at Philips North America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay and dedicated employees

Cons

Unorgananized. Different departments do not talk to each other causing confusion.

Talk to each other. This will take away much frustration at lower levels.

Outstanding place to work - if you like to work hard and play to win

Current Employee - Director in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Andover, MA

I have been working at Philips North America full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Philips is tackling the most pressing issues of society - healthcare, sustainability, healthy living. It's big and global and complex - not everyone's cup of tea - but because of this, Philips has the horsepower to make a difference and I as an employee contribute to making that difference.

Cons

If you're a slacker, there's a lot fewer places to hide than there was in the past. The company culture has developed in a very positive way in the past few years, we're accountable and hold each other accountable. We are playing to make a difference in people's lives, to win, not just for a paycheck.

Stick with the clear message you've been sending for the last 24 months. Don't let up and don't change direction, we're on the right track!

Philips North America Photos