Philips Ultrasound

Philips Ultrasound Reviews

Updated August 4, 2014
Updated August 4, 2014
2.4

Philips Ultrasound Executive Vice-President and Chief Executive Officer Philips Healthcare Steve Rusckowski
Steve Rusckowski

Great people, great products, good work-life balance, poor-to-middling engineering management and R&D process

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Ultrasound full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

1. People are congenial and smart, the closest industry experience I've had to academia.
    2. Products are definitely positive contributions to society.
    3. Products are highly profitable, always a plus if you want a job that pays well and lasts.
    4. Surroundings (free parking, walking trails, on-site gym and basketball & racquet courts, etc.) are fantastic.

Cons

Though the products are highly advanced, much of the software architecture is long in the tooth and very complex, thus hard to change or maintain. Don't come to a software job looking to learn much of value outside the company. Probably the greatest disadvantage is the lack of management expertise in the software arena...the people in charge are typically PhD physics majors, and though they're fine people, anyone in management with real software project management experience has long ago left in frustration or been laid off to cut costs.

Engineers typically take on many test and PM duties, setting and monitoring their own delivery schedules and writing/executing their own test plans and so on. This is partly due to past layoffs where middle management was cut (managers were expected to "manage" 13-17 people by the time I left), and partly because upper management simply doesn't understand what developers do or the role of software in the product. It's considered a costly but necessary component that's there to drive the core technologies, those being the transducers and beamformers. Software itself as a competitive asset isn't part of the value equation.

Philips was very good for me, close to home and not too intellectually demanding. Philips takes unusually good care of its employees considering it's a large multinational corporation, with a pretty fair approach even during its cyclical layoffs. I learned a lot of interesting ultrasound physics there. But in the end I had to leave in order to keep my software skills current. The software world moves too fast to keep doing the same thing for 10+ years.

Hire some good software managers. Have your existing people read some books about software project management and follow their advice, instead of concentrating so much on black belts and engagement scores. Learn the right meaning of "sprint" (hint: it does NOT mean buying your people dinner when poor management leads to schedule slippages, it has a modern definition that you should understand and buy into -- because it works.)

Miserable work environment created by organization wide resistance to change and a lack of respect between collegues

Current Employee - Engineer in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Philips Ultrasound full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are a few good apples amongst the rank and file engineers and technicians, but less and less all the time as those able move on to other opportunities or retire.
    The very top, principle scientist level, are the best people to work with, but there are not many of those!

Cons

Organization does everything possible to not change anything they do, except to always make things cheaper
    Insecurities, denial and fear tend to govern actions, a very ineffective way of working
    Crises are favored ahead of successful execution
    Very little diversity in leadership

Try to create an environment where the goal is to be better this year than last, to not make the same mistakes twice and to consider near misses failures that are not to be repeated.

ATL Ultrasound was great but Philips is only interested in money (not quality

Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Bothell, WA
    Current Employee - Mechanical Engineer IV in Bothell, WA

I have been working at Philips Ultrasound full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

great people, no politics (except for upper management), good healthcare benefits, workout facility on site, decent cafe, profit sharing, great product line, mobility for new hires, sick leave

Cons

very low life/work balance, layoffs without warning, new hires are all grad students, new hires are a revolving door, no appreciation for hard work and long hours (work harder), directors and above seem to have their own agenda, talk the talk but don't walk the walk (only interested in profits), very reactive atmosphere

Be more realistic and pro-active, hire more employees so we can all have work/life balance, stop beating us down, give us a raise when we work 12 hour days and don't take vacation instead of threatening our jobs

Good start and institutional mature organization, however a clear commitment to move manufacturing overseas in play.

Former Employee - Business Process Analyst in Bothell, WA
    Former Employee - Business Process Analyst in Bothell, WA

I worked at Philips Ultrasound

Pros

High level of expertise and professionalism, profitable business with a track record of being competitive in the industry and long term growth in sector.

Cons

End game in play for the manufacturing capability in the US, outsourcing to Inida, ROC, and Korea in place and sales and repair becoming the primary employment opportunties over the mid-term.

Continuity and direction wavered on multiple occassions over the last 3 years. Less than open with their plans and employees should be very sceptical.