Phillips 66

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Phillips 66 Chairman and CEO Greg C. Garland

Greg C. Garland

Great place to work

PO Processor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful opportunity to work or re-locate within the company to different departments in order to further your work skills into other fields of interest.

ConsSometimes you do not get to "bid" out to another position for 2 or more years and if you end up in a position that doesn't fit you, then you just have to work through it.

Head in the Sand

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than 5 years

ProsRecognize years of experience to determine starting vacation. Good benefits-not the best; health insurance has very high deductibles. Bonus 401k.

ConsManagement is too far removed the reality of day to day business. Too much mid and upper management with not enough frontline people to actually handle the work. "False headcount" results in contractor employees who are not vested in the outcomes. High professional turnover due to the heavy workloads from absorbing job duties when professionals quit and are not replaced. Limited training from outside professionals/experts; such that the same old (usually not best practices) practices are passed down. Intern program does not really teach; but interns are promoted without having the correct training and experience. Management does not want to hear what they really need to hear. Company practices are like stepping back 30 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTotal Quality Management may be an "old practice" but it would greatly improve company operations and cost savings. Shed mid-management that are not working managers; we need more people on the frontlines to get the work done. Hiring the correct people who would pay for themselves; improve cost savings and therefore increase profits.

great place to work

I have been working at Phillips 66

Prosthe people are very awesome people

Consthe dangers are very great dangers

Advice to Senior Managementfix things that are broken, no band-aids

Great company with lots of opportunity

Procurement (Former Employee)
Houston, TX

I worked at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

ProsPhillips 66 is a large financially stable refining, marketing, and transportation company of oil and gas products.
Phillips 66 provides employees with plenty of opportunity to change into other jobs especially if they are open to relocating.
Phillips 66 has excellent benefits and reasonable pay.

ConsPhillips 66 has a big company culture and mentality; so it is not for everyone.
The Phillips 66 organization is very hierarchical with lots of layers of management.
Phillips 66 is very policy and procedure driven to the point of redundant processes and inefficiencies; but overall it seems to be working.

Intellectually challenging but helpful place to work

Process Engineer Intern (Former Employee)
Linden, NJ

I worked at Phillips 66 as an intern for less than a year

ProsVery friendly, intellectually curious employees. Always willing to help one another and learn constantly on the job. Strong work ethics

ConsHours can be long especially if you want to be viewed as a rising star

Process Engineer

Borger, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

ProsGood place to gain experience. People actually working in the units are great to work with.

ConsOverall culture is broke and turnover is extremely high. No communication from any level of management. Don't care about people and no plan to develop experienced people. Only way to get ahead is to make others look bad. They say the pay is average for industry, but get your money when you hire in, you fall behind quickly and new hires will be making more then you in a couple years.

Great Company to work if you don't mind location

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Phillips 66 full-time

ProsGreat work environment, benefits, salary, resources

ConsDifficult location for dual career families

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is something difficult to solve...I know management is trying...Relocating the site would be a perfect solution

Great exposure to the industry, but remedial work.

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Phillips 66 as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat compensation and retirement options; ability to rotate throughout different departments within the company; Financial Excellence Program for new hires;

ConsEmployees can report other employees for safety violations (not using a handrail on the stairs, not using crosswalks); some animosity wthin company culture after the split with ConocoPhillips

Great place to work

SAP Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, nice environmentto work - great emphasis on employee safety and working responsibly in locations where the company operates
The leadership of the company never cease to let empoyees know how much their work and contributions to the company's success is valued.
The leadership keep employee fully briefed and updated on the progress the company is making.
when you hear the CEO Greg Garland and his leadership team talk, they exude such great enthusiasm that is infectious

ConsA few supervisors are not well prepared for their jobs...the company overall has great managers but a few of them do not really need to be there.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone, compnay on the right path

Love it

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat all around and love working here

ConsMy only complaint is the location of my office

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Worked for Phillips 66? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Phillips 66 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Phillips 66 CEO Greg C. Garland. All 38 reviews posted anonymously by Phillips 66 employees.