Phillips 66 Reviews

87 reviews filtered by
3.9
Phillips 66 Chairman and CEO Greg C. Garland
Greg C. Garland

Pros
  • The company stresses Safety and Work Life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits-not the best; health insurance has very high deductibles (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires are often paid higher salaries then their more experienced counter-parts who have been employed for years (in 3 reviews)

• Management does not want to hear what they really need to hear (in 2 reviews)

1. Outside of the military, this is the best job I have ever had with the best company/team one could dream for.

Current Employee - Operator
    Current Employee - Operator

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Safety first is the lifestyle, not just a check box. Opportunity, pay, training, growth... the list goes on and on.

Cons

Does not increase my chances of winning power ball/lotto.

Please continue supporting Veterans, communities, employees and all the great things you do.

Pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Staff Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Staff Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

Work-life balance, $75/mo health insurance credit, yearly cash bonus (that typically exceeds target significantly), they really do let you move around the company, 19/30 work schedule, on-site gym & cafeteria/cafe

Cons

Your experience here is greatly determined by what group you work in - seems to be a lot of nepotism & hiring of family/friends' children, who clearly get preferential treatment. Transparency is also an issue, at least in my group - individuals have literally been told to lie to others about changing jobs & who is taking their job. Promotion structure is also very rigid, which is frustrating.

Please read my "cons"

3. Really liked that job; it would have been exceptional if not for the supervisors and managers

Former Employee - Senior Procurement Role in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Procurement Role in Houston, TX

I worked at Phillips 66 full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Financially healthy "Fortune 10" company
    Business diversity (refining, midstream, chemicals) helps weather O&G cycles
    Cross-functional career opportunities
    Compensation
    Role autonomy

Cons

Significant shift in culture since May 2012 - less loyalty to workers, less worker friendly
    Weak processes, especially change management
    Very subjective performance evaluation process
    Supply Chain / Procurement is not a core process
    Political savvy is more important to success than effective leadership / management / supervision
    Hi manager turnover

Department managers should have some experience in their area of responsibility
    New Navigator tool allows employee ratings to be completely subjective according to the whims of the supervisor

5. I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

None concerning head count. It is a false head count.

Cons

Head Count is really false. Hire contracted personnel to do duties that should be Phillips 66. Contracted personnel supervising/overseeing other contractors. Many of these contracted personnel are receiving pay that is so high; it would be less expensive to hire Phillips 66 people. Overall, head count is still too low to do the duties properly; people are burning out and stressed out. This is compounded by the company's habit of placing inexperienced, young personnel in supervisory positions (who only want to supervise and not perform actual work).

Wake up. This false head count is actually causing increased costs, from not having enough experienced cost/price analysts, to not enough staff to oversee contractors, to not enough engineers with experience to write good Scopes of Work or formulate reasonably accurate independent estimates, to not enough contracting/procurement staff at the facilities. Too much mid-management, layers not needed.

6. Demanding job with 24 hour oncall every 6 weeks, demanding users and very unstable application. A lot of fresh college.

Former Employee - IT Support Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - IT Support Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at Phillips 66

Pros

Team dynamics are good. Knowledgebase is good, Good documentation of processes,

Cons

Very young population, a lot of employees out of college. Very regimented, old school thinking,. Not a lot of innovative ideas.

Keep senior employees. Have good sharing of knowledge.

7. Great company with plenty of benefits

I worked at Phillips 66 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very hardworking and intelligent people, challenging projects, lots of locations to choose from, smart executive leadership, safety and environmental stewardship is very important

Cons

More experienced folks can be set in their ways to the disadvantage of others and company, some locations are not that great

8. Challenged Site In Cyclical Industry

I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

The culture is open with plenty of opportunity to grow, in house training is offered and support for external courses provided, but must be justified as business related. Constant re-ordering of priorities allows for job migration adding longterm intrest.

Cons

Managing perception can sometimes tack priority over managing substance.

9. Lots of legacy, muddled direction

Current Employee - Technician
    Current Employee - Technician

I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

Like is often mentioned, the pay is good. I went from another company making $20,000/ year less to this job. That offer made it a no-brainer to me.
    That is about where it ends for me, the pay is god and i seem to get along with my co-workers.

Cons

Our facilities are abysmal, we have older structures with lead paint, sheet metal rusting away and none of it was built before the 1940s. Noone wants to work around that, even for a pipeline company.
    With the pay, they have you locked in. So you are subject to their whims when it's decided to mabye change a dozen forms overnight, then they are dumped on you.
    Information is sent straight to the employees from upper management via e-mail versus mabye going through lower level leadership. How about giving them (area supervisors) a chance to look like they are in the chain of command. They do not seem to be very valued, which effects morale.
    There seems to be a culture of, if something happens that isnt desired, like an equipment failure, or paperwork error, finding out where to point the finger as fast as possible. It's a blame culture instead of a teamwork resolving the issue culture. Lots of people are walking around looking over their shoulder a lot of the time. It is a shame we are afraid of being stabbed in the back. Mabye that is just a part of a big company like this, either way i find it unsettling.

10. Very changing different company.

I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

Good salary and quite a bit of benefits.

Cons

NO communication and medical is rather expensive.

11. Mechanical Engineering Intern

I worked at Phillips 66

Pros

Great pay. Everyone is friendly and willing to help you when you needed. Safety always come first.

Cons

Some locations are very undesired.

Phillips 66 Photos

Fitness Center Pool
Old Phillips 66 station (Photo thanks to Flickr user Phillip, Some Rights Reserved)
Phillips 66 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Sarah Richter, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo