Phillips 66

Updated December 11, 2014
4.1

Phillips 66 Chairman and CEO Greg C. Garland
Greg C. Garland

Pros
  • The company stresses Safety and Work Life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits-not the best; health insurance has very high deductibles (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires are often paid higher salaries then their more experienced counter-parts who have been employed for years (in 3 reviews)

• Management does not want to hear what they really need to hear (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Phillips 66 was a good employer.

Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Ponca City, OK
    Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Ponca City, OK

I worked at Phillips 66 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Good culture- Employees are helpful and friendly.

Cons

Ponca City is not the most desirable city to live in.

Company with a strong emphasis on safety

I have been working at Phillips 66 as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everybody is very friendly, and the benefits can't be beat. Phillips also practices what it preaches when it comes to safety.

Cons

There can be long hours of work.

Long term employee

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ample opportunity, promotions and pay for those committed to delivering top notch performance and value to the company. The company is working hard to continuously improve training and career development.

Cons

With the pay and promotions come responsibility, accountability and hours. The location of the manufacturing sites may to suit everyone.

Continue to build the culture of operating excellence and employee engagement.

Intern to full time

Current Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere fun people around you

Cons

I feel they under pay you and you need to negotiate with them.

Value the person not the group.

Great for personal development in oil and gas industry

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The starting pay was great compared to other companies. I love the rotational program. You can start a new role every 18 months - 3 years. Also, you're paid for performance. There is a gym and health initiatives and many of the locations.

Cons

There isn't much room to work from home remotely. It's possible to do so but the company isn't to keen on people working from home and not counting it as vacation, sick day, etc.

To stay competitive for talent, incorporate new technology to promote work life balance, such as working from home twice a week.

Great place to work in the IT field

Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company stresses Safety and Work Life balance. It has been my experience it is a culture that is lived and not just for public consumption. Pay, Benefits and Yearly bonuses are all excellent.

Cons

I would like to see more emphasis placed on 3rd party training. Sometimes it is difficult to get approval for the travel expenses it takes to get training.

Great place to work in the Energy Industry

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time

Pros

Challenging and productive learning environment. Highly recommend this position.

Cons

The company is currently going through some growing pains.

Good Company but doesn't value their own US Citizen or GC Holders.

I worked at Phillips 66

Pros

Good benefits and good culture

Cons

They do not value US Citizens. They believe in giving full time to people who are H1 contractors from other countries and post jobs online just for the sake of posting and do not hire US citizens who are actually looking for a job. Many US citizens would be happy to relocate in a town like Bartlesville if big companies hire them instead of H1 contractors. There are US citizens in Oklahoma who are looking for job but these companies just want to value H1 contractors and then they complain they have less employees and nobody is willing to relocate. They hire H1 as full time and then promote them as TL or supervisor and keep them on top of already existing employees without giving a chance to existing employees. They don't even think that once they are sponsored and after some time once they get the authority to stay in US they can easily walk away to some other company.
    They don't speak proper English and they make their money here and walk away.
    Conoco prioritizes US citizens and GC holders.

Please give an opportunity to US citizens and GC holders. There is so much talent hidden in this country. Give chance to them and help the economy.

Big company built on a legacy, but struggling to find a direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Pay, it's pretty good as far as i am concerned.
    -matching 401K, that kind of stuff
    -Forward looking right now, as far as i can tell. The talk from management is that they want to "go big or go...somewhere".
    -Some good people, i enjoy being around my co-workers.

Cons

-Even though the pay is good, they are stingy on every other decision like mabye investing in infrastructure. Some of us work out of buildings constructed in the 1940s. Hello, oil boom?
    -The confusion, its a company with a legacy, a big one at that, that allows for a concentration of decision making ability. Hey, the PEOPLE make the company..
    -Theres legacy P66 people, and legacy Conoco people and a lot of us late-comers. It's easy to tell who is who. That sometimes causes division.
    -The focus on the interns seems to be a big deal. How about all the people that work day after day to keep the oil flowing?

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! They are your best asset. Dont allow district micro-managers to rule with iron fists.
      Continue the growth strategy though, it gives us a bit of hope that the paneling wont be on the walls forever and the cobwebs won't be on the equipment for long either.

Tremendous learning opportunity, some room for improvement though.

Current Employee - Terminal Operator
    Current Employee - Terminal Operator

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than an year)

Pros

My work group has been fantastic. The operators I work with are all very talented and hard working. There seems to be great potential for advancement for those who really want it. Many of the operations and maintenance folks I've worked with are happy where they are, but I've seen some others who wanted to climb the ladder and they have.

In the operations field, there's plenty of overtime opportunities. As one of the newer hires, I seem to be getting a lot of it. I have great interactions with management, and when something is unclear and there is always time to address it safely.

Cons

Most of the operations personnel are very safe workers, and there is a strong safety culture. However the culture does not extend to managements pocket-book. Many of the facilities I've traveled to are extremely outdated, with old hand tools that could easily be replaced by automation of newer equipment in general.

When it comes to safety and proper equipment for your employees, stop pinching pennies. The right tool may cost $100 more, but it allows operators to work safer and quicker. That sounds like a better trade off to me.

Also consider raising operator and maintenance pay, especially in areas with nearby competition from more established competitors like Chevron of Shell. If they are offering over $8/hr more, personnel will jump ship in a heartbeat.

Phillips 66 Photos

Fitness Center Pool
Old Phillips 66 station (Photo thanks to Flickr user Phillip, Some Rights Reserved)
Phillips 66 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Sarah Richter, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo