Phillips 66 Reviews

Updated September 8, 2014
4.0

Phillips 66 Chairman and CEO Greg C. Garland
Greg C. Garland

Pros
  • work/life balance, people, I never felt lost in such a big company, great job promoting networking among employees (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits-not the best; health insurance has very high deductibles (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires are often paid higher salaries then their more experienced counter-parts who have been employed for years (in 3 reviews)

• Management does not want to hear what they really need to hear (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great pay, but...

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time

Pros

The compensation package is excellent. Internship pay was out of this world and when I was hired on full-time they provide a very generous lump sum for relocation.

Cons

So many challenges. Where to start. For one we are a union facility which has bred a culture of Us vs. Them. Conspiracy theories regarding the company's seemingly nefarious actions towards represented workers makes interpersonal work relationships difficult. New jobs and responsibilities with little on-boarding or training is commonplace. Because the Refinery Leadership Team is constantly changing we struggle with creating a sense of "self" or culture. The butt of the joke is the people whom we should respect as the leaders are considered nothing more than "short-timers" who have neither a sense of the field nor care about the people who work there every day. On a more personal level, supervisors tend to be micro-managers, possibly because they are trying to prove they are worth their pay. I am constantly being asked to update at least 3 different priority spreadsheets/word documents/databases to track my progress on responsibilites. Meanwhile, real progress is hindered. Do not expect to spend much time at home. Depending on your department you will be on-call all week including weekends about once every 2 months or more frequently. No drinking whatsoever during this time. You might consider this a small sacrifice, but when your group is running lean and you have a social life it can be frustrating. Even during normal work weeks the work/life is a little off. My boss will text me during off hours about trivial things. Again, that is probably not a P66 exclusive issue but it remains a product of the demanding work expectation. We have recently revamped our goal setting process to a more complex system (facepalm) that now asks us to post action items and track progress(again with the tracking!). Overall the P66 mentality is "if it ain't broke, fix it". We do not devote nearly as much time to our people as we did as ConocoPhillips.

Encourage management to push their employees towards professional growth (certifications, training, etc..) Stop focusing on ZERO and focus on people. Encourage the use of latent-cause analysis to truly fix problems, don't just fire people.

Great place to work

Current Employee - PO Processor  in  Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - PO Processor in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Wonderful opportunity to work or re-locate within the company to different departments in order to further your work skills into other fields of interest.

Cons

Sometimes you do not get to "bid" out to another position for 2 or more years and if you end up in a position that doesn't fit you, then you just have to work through it.

Head in the Sand

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Recognize years of experience to determine starting vacation. Good benefits-not the best; health insurance has very high deductibles. Bonus 401k.

Cons

Management is too far removed the reality of day to day business. Too much mid and upper management with not enough frontline people to actually handle the work. "False headcount" results in contractor employees who are not vested in the outcomes. High professional turnover due to the heavy workloads from absorbing job duties when professionals quit and are not replaced. Limited training from outside professionals/experts; such that the same old (usually not best practices) practices are passed down. Intern program does not really teach; but interns are promoted without having the correct training and experience. Management does not want to hear what they really need to hear. Company practices are like stepping back 30 years.

Total Quality Management may be an "old practice" but it would greatly improve company operations and cost savings. Shed mid-management that are not working managers; we need more people on the frontlines to get the work done. Hiring the correct people who would pay for themselves; improve cost savings and therefore increase profits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

great place to work

I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

the people are very awesome people

Cons

the dangers are very great dangers

fix things that are broken, no band-aids

Great company with lots of opportunity

Former Employee - Procurement  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Procurement in Houston, TX

I worked at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Phillips 66 is a large financially stable refining, marketing, and transportation company of oil and gas products.
    Phillips 66 provides employees with plenty of opportunity to change into other jobs especially if they are open to relocating.
    Phillips 66 has excellent benefits and reasonable pay.

Cons

Phillips 66 has a big company culture and mentality; so it is not for everyone.
    The Phillips 66 organization is very hierarchical with lots of layers of management.
    Phillips 66 is very policy and procedure driven to the point of redundant processes and inefficiencies; but overall it seems to be working.

Intellectually challenging but helpful place to work

Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern  in  Linden, NJ
    Former Employee - Process Engineer Intern in Linden, NJ

I worked at Phillips 66 as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Very friendly, intellectually curious employees. Always willing to help one another and learn constantly on the job. Strong work ethics

Cons

Hours can be long especially if you want to be viewed as a rising star

Process Engineer

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Borger, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Borger, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good place to gain experience. People actually working in the units are great to work with.

Cons

Overall culture is broke and turnover is extremely high. No communication from any level of management. Don't care about people and no plan to develop experienced people. Only way to get ahead is to make others look bad. They say the pay is average for industry, but get your money when you hire in, you fall behind quickly and new hires will be making more then you in a couple years.

Great Company to work if you don't mind location

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at Phillips 66 full-time

Pros

Great work environment, benefits, salary, resources

Cons

Difficult location for dual career families

This is something difficult to solve...I know management is trying...Relocating the site would be a perfect solution

Great exposure to the industry, but remedial work.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - Intern in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at Phillips 66 as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great compensation and retirement options; ability to rotate throughout different departments within the company; Financial Excellence Program for new hires;

Cons

Employees can report other employees for safety violations (not using a handrail on the stairs, not using crosswalks); some animosity wthin company culture after the split with ConocoPhillips

Great place to work

Current Employee - SAP Analyst  in  Bartlesville, OK
    Current Employee - SAP Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great pay, nice environmentto work - great emphasis on employee safety and working responsibly in locations where the company operates
    The leadership of the company never cease to let empoyees know how much their work and contributions to the company's success is valued.
    The leadership keep employee fully briefed and updated on the progress the company is making.
    when you hear the CEO Greg Garland and his leadership team talk, they exude such great enthusiasm that is infectious

Cons

A few supervisors are not well prepared for their jobs...the company overall has great managers but a few of them do not really need to be there.

None, compnay on the right path

Phillips 66 Photos

Fitness Center Pool
Old Phillips 66 station (Photo thanks to Flickr user Phillip, Some Rights Reserved)
Phillips 66 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Sarah Richter, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo

Worked for Phillips 66? Contribute to the Community!