Phillips 66

Updated January 24, 2015
3.9

Phillips 66 Chairman and CEO Greg C. Garland
Greg C. Garland

Pros
  • The company stresses Safety and Work Life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits-not the best; health insurance has very high deductibles (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • New hires are often paid higher salaries then their more experienced counter-parts who have been employed for years (in 3 reviews)

• Management does not want to hear what they really need to hear (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work in the IT field

Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company stresses Safety and Work Life balance. It has been my experience it is a culture that is lived and not just for public consumption. Pay, Benefits and Yearly bonuses are all excellent.

Cons

I would like to see more emphasis placed on 3rd party training. Sometimes it is difficult to get approval for the travel expenses it takes to get training.

Great place to work in the Energy Industry

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time

Pros

Challenging and productive learning environment. Highly recommend this position.

Cons

The company is currently going through some growing pains.

Good Company but doesn't value their own US Citizen or GC Holders.

I worked at Phillips 66

Pros

Good benefits and good culture

Cons

They do not value US Citizens. They believe in giving full time to people who are H1 contractors from other countries and post jobs online just for the sake of posting and do not hire US citizens who are actually looking for a job. Many US citizens would be happy to relocate in a town like Bartlesville if big companies hire them instead of H1 contractors. There are US citizens in Oklahoma who are looking for job but these companies just want to value H1 contractors and then they complain they have less employees and nobody is willing to relocate. They hire H1 as full time and then promote them as TL or supervisor and keep them on top of already existing employees without giving a chance to existing employees. They don't even think that once they are sponsored and after some time once they get the authority to stay in US they can easily walk away to some other company.
    They don't speak proper English and they make their money here and walk away.
    Conoco prioritizes US citizens and GC holders.

Please give an opportunity to US citizens and GC holders. There is so much talent hidden in this country. Give chance to them and help the economy.

Tremendous learning opportunity, some room for improvement though.

Current Employee - Terminal Operator
    Current Employee - Terminal Operator

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

My work group has been fantastic. The operators I work with are all very talented and hard working. There seems to be great potential for advancement for those who really want it. Many of the operations and maintenance folks I've worked with are happy where they are, but I've seen some others who wanted to climb the ladder and they have.

In the operations field, there's plenty of overtime opportunities. As one of the newer hires, I seem to be getting a lot of it. I have great interactions with management, and when something is unclear and there is always time to address it safely.

Cons

Most of the operations personnel are very safe workers, and there is a strong safety culture. However the culture does not extend to managements pocket-book. Many of the facilities I've traveled to are extremely outdated, with old hand tools that could easily be replaced by automation of newer equipment in general.

When it comes to safety and proper equipment for your employees, stop pinching pennies. The right tool may cost $100 more, but it allows operators to work safer and quicker. That sounds like a better trade off to me.

Also consider raising operator and maintenance pay, especially in areas with nearby competition from more established competitors like Chevron of Shell. If they are offering over $8/hr more, personnel will jump ship in a heartbeat.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - IT Intern in Bartlesville, OK
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Bartlesville, OK

I worked at Phillips 66 as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great Work environment, very open and friendly management, excellent benefits. Ability to move positions every few years if desired

Cons

Locations can be an issue for some

Great place to work!!!

Current Employee - Analyst in Bartlesville, OK

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation and benefits are excellent! Everyone is helpful. I have a great supervisor and friendly coworkers. They offer numerous groups and events to integrate new employees with the company. Tons of education opportunities. The atmosphere is relaxed because everyone completes their jobs without the need for constant supervision.

Cons

I have not experienced anything negative about the company, any of the employees, or management.

I am excited to advance and continue my employment!

Big company built on a legacy, but struggling to find a direction

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Pay, it's pretty good as far as i am concerned.
    -matching 401K, that kind of stuff
    -Forward looking right now, as far as i can tell. The talk from management is that they want to "go big or go...somewhere".
    -Some good people, i enjoy being around my co-workers.

Cons

-Even though the pay is good, they are stingy on every other decision like mabye investing in infrastructure. Some of us work out of buildings constructed in the 1940s. Hello, oil boom?
    -The confusion, its a company with a legacy, a big one at that, that allows for a concentration of decision making ability. Hey, the PEOPLE make the company..
    -Theres legacy P66 people, and legacy Conoco people and a lot of us late-comers. It's easy to tell who is who. That sometimes causes division.
    -The focus on the interns seems to be a big deal. How about all the people that work day after day to keep the oil flowing?

POWER TO THE PEOPLE! They are your best asset. Dont allow district micro-managers to rule with iron fists.
      Continue the growth strategy though, it gives us a bit of hope that the paneling wont be on the walls forever and the cobwebs won't be on the equipment for long either.

Great people and company

Current Employee - Finance in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Finance in Houston, TX

I have been working at Phillips 66 as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Pay, benefits, experiences, job rotations, relaxed environment, consistent 9 - 5, people, mentors... Overall great place to work, I would like to come back full time.. they challenge you and give your real work that impacts the company as a whole

Cons

i dont know what people are making at the higher levels of the company, also it seems like you have to move a lot to get promoted

Opportunity awaits you

I have been working at Phillips 66

Pros

Safety is number one with Phillips 66. Environmental stewardship is number two. A great place to learn about so much various types of instrumentation. Great pay, bonus, pension and thrift plan.

Cons

Employee performance reviews do not occur. If supervisors think yea or nay of you, you would never know. You have to make your own direction as far as career path.

You should not tie first line supervisor bonuses to their budgets, etc. Makes the first line supervisor do nothing for people under his/her direction.

Very friendly work environment.

Current Employee - Process Engineer
    Current Employee - Process Engineer

I have been working at Phillips 66 as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is laid back, and everyone works as a team. People have great attitudes which makes work a pleasant environment.

Cons

The company could have more structured training. The pay for engineers is better than most companies but not quite as high as the top salaries. But giving up a few grand a year beats working for the majority of those companies.

Keep P66 in the same direction as it's currently going and all will be great.

Phillips 66 Photos

Fitness Center Pool
Old Phillips 66 station (Photo thanks to Flickr user Phillip, Some Rights Reserved)
Phillips 66 (Photo thanks to Flickr user Sarah Richter, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo