Phillips Edison

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bob Myers

Mostly a good experience.

Property Manager (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsAnnual meeting and retreats, travel opportunities, focus on corporate culture.

ConsHigh turnover, lack of accountability for remote employees. Some managers do not appreciate work done by others. Slow corporate policy/procedures for internal requests as is common with larger companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork harder to lower turnover. It’s hard to keep track of who is doing what when departments and contacts are always changing.

Grow up already!

N/A (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsAnnual meetings and retreats. The only thing this company is good at is partying.

ConsImmature managers constantly in competition with one another. Poor leadership from VP's and directors. High turnover. Burn bridges with vendors on a daily basis. Nickel and dime everyone. Don't spend money on properties that need it the most. It's a company with a tattle-tale mentality: they're always trying to get someone in trouble if it makes them look good.
    They focus on the little things at the properties (minor weeds, minor debris/trash, etc) instead of the large items that are impacting the center (poor parking lots, poor paint, poor roofs, etc).
    This company does not care about the tenants, except for anchors. The mom and pop stores get ignored when they have an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen those purse strings and get the properties on par with your competition. Stop worrying about other managers and other regions and try to do what's best for the company. You know, properties might end up over budget, but if that's what it takes to keep the properties looking nice, so be it. If someone doesn't get a bonus because a fund is over budget, who cares! At least the properties are safe and clean and show a sense of pride in ownership. Stop putting so much emphasis on the petty stuff and work on the large ticket items. Listen to ALL of the tenants, not just the anchors.
    Maybe if you guys work half as hard as you play, you just might become a decent company. Until then, good luck.

Mixed Feelings.

Attorney (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThis company is very entreprenurial and encourages creativity which makes your job a lot more interesting and challenging. Our day-to-day functions are based upon team work and I truly enjoy working with the individuals on my particular team.

ConsCareer opportunities are available but only seem to go to those individuals who are part of the current "in-group." There is an 'old boys' mentality that is pervasive but denied.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to bring salaries up to market and not just leave them where they are because "you can." This leads to low morale. We are asked to do more and more and are consistently told that the company is growing and making a lot of money, yet the profits are shared only among the owners and very senior management.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people, great leaders.

Analyst (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsLoved the people I worked with, the leaders gave me a great deal of respect and trust, took good care of their employees.

ConsPay was fair but a bit underwhelming.

Not very satisfied with the culture

ProsYearly Annual meetings, team outings. HR takes a lot of effort to bridge the gaps

ConsToo much of politics within the company. Each fund/department works in a silo and are always trying one up over the other. Roles are not very structured and you can go great work and yet not get noticed

Mediocre at best

Accountant (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThe people in the lower levels of the company make it enjoyable to come to work everyday. Annual meeting is a blast. Company seems to be expanding.

ConsVery hard to move up unless you're part of the "in" crowd, there are a lot of people who move laterally many times. Too many middle managers. Some upper management don't understand how the systems they oversee even operate. Lots of false promises. Pay isn't great. Expected to work long hours for low pay.

Poor middle management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsOwners really have a great vision and company has really amazing potential.

ConsPresident, VP's and middle managers have big egos. Management spends more time arguing over their office location, size and who has the best furniture or the most monitors. Little advancement if your not in the club. Owner's vision seems clear but, management seems to have a different agenda.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house. Find people who care about the company not their own pocketbooks. Talk to the people below management and listen, you are not hearing the truth.

Up and down. I enjoy the immediate team that I work with.

Attorney (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsYoung, growing company. Work life balance is good. Lot's of flexibility. There is a lot of transparency between Management and employees.

ConsCompensation is not competitive; Promotions/advancements go to cronies; old boys network; constantly changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees

Chews through people

Analyst (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsThere can be opportunities for growth....IF you are liked by your manager and people in position to help you. beautiful office space. Many, many nice competent people to work with and to learn from.

Conscompany wide, routine, abrupt, terminations of co-workers....tenured to new employees with no aparent problems. I cant count the number of times that I went home on friday and all seems well.come in monday and people are gone. tenure doesnt seem to matter. lots of favoritism. this was pervasive and blantant there and was a non-verbal form of bullying.....message is "don't get comfortable here". basically, if someone in managment decides that they like you, you will do well. If they decide that they dont like you, life can be miserable there and you are toast. I experienced months of mental bullying by my manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementI know this is a business and not a charity. but, I wish you would do more of following the golden rule.....treat people as you would want to be treated. Give them a fair chance. Treating people decently brings great returns.

Great atmosphere, challenging work, awesome people.

Finance Intern (Former Employee) Cincinnati, OH

Pros-Laid back atmosphere, but everyone seems to be on the same page in regards to everything going on within company.

-Executives are easily approachable and great with help.

Cons-Monotonous, routine work. Things change, not much.

-Too much sitting and not enough acting by some employees. Should take a better initiative to internally promote.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to explore new areas of business and improve in every aspect. You have the right people here in the office, make the most of them.

Worked for Phillips Edison? Contribute to the Community!