Phillips and Temro Industries

Add Photos

Harry “Butch” Sumpter

Working at PTI

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsGood people to work with, interesting products, initially there were some great opportunities for advancement, able to use a wide variety of my skills.

ConsAll the good started going away when the ownership decided that it was a good idea to farm out the whole operation to China.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the China thing! Just ask Honda how that's going. Bring manufacturing back to Eden Prairie and I'll come back too.

Turnover

Project Engineer (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsAutomotive industry: cool products and cool customers.

ConsIn the last 6 months, the company has turned over the VP of Operations, VP of Human Resources, Director of Engineering, Engineering Manager, Quality Manager, Logistics Manager, Purchasing Manager, several Project Engineers, several Quality Engineers, a Production Manager, and countless floor workers. The company has a miserable culture of fear. Avoid at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out or watch the company die.

All Starts at the Top

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

Pros- Hourly and most salaried people are great; they care, work hard, and are fun to work with.
    - After the Ford Plant closed down, PTI is the only automotive manufacturer in the area
    - Interesting products, good margins

Cons- People on the factory floor are not treated very well. Low pay, inadequate wage increases, lots of mandatory overtime
    - Closed down another plant and moved those lines to Eden Prairie. The move was not well planned out.
    - They expect you to make that place your life. If you don't, you could get blacklisted
    - VERY high turnover at all levels
    - "Performance Management" is often punitive and used to settle scores.

Advice to Senior Management- Be more open about the company's vision and future plans. Involve more people.
    - Add resources so people don't get burned out.
    - Be more generous with merit increases for hourly workers.
    - Spend more time and resource on improvement.
    - Less rigid management style from the CEO.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A nightmare of an employer

Engineering (Former Employee) Eden Prairie, MN

ProsInteresting products that develop great margins in an industry in which it is typically difficult to turn profits.

ConsVery poorly managed, very high turnover, very little willingness to invest in improvements, zero transparency in company vision, no flexibility in schedule, poor ethical standards cascading from the very top of the company.

Worked for Phillips and Temro Industries? Contribute to the Community!