Phoenix Children's Academy

Updated December 1, 2014
Updated December 1, 2014
2.1

Douglas MacKay

I've enjoyed my time at insurance Academy

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time

Pros

Great people to work for who are all very passionate about early childhood

Cons

The company is gone through a few Management changes but it is going very well

Poor management, communication and overall professionalism

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy

Pros

None come to my mind

Cons

Complete day care environment, emphasis not on children, learning or curriculum but on bulletin boards and decorating with busy work.

Unorganized, unfair, unprofessional,

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you are corporate and have many grandchildren you will get FREE childcare. The company does offer benefits. Discounted childcare UNLESS you have an infant, then full price for you

Cons

Too much turn over. Tons of change from corporate office. Regionals only care about $$$.

Support your staff better. Listen to the little man actually working in the trenches! Stick to your philosophies and start caring about the reason were in this industry, the KIDS! Stop training great employees and let them walk out the door and go work for other top name preschools down the road. Stop cutting cost on things like nutritional food. Take action against bully directors that push and call names to mentally handicap employees and NOT overlook it just because the particular school is profitable! Pay employees for PTO time they earn when they leave. Pay quality teachers what they are worth. Purchase quality supplies, stop trying to re furbish old out dated furniture.Get some new curriculum ideas, not just take ideas from Pintrest. Get better marketing material i.e. A commercial! Make sure your busses are safe. Lastly, get your regional directors in order... In my many years working here I experienced 6 different regional directors!! Wow!

Great home office Support team. RVP's were a mess

Current Employee - School Director in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - School Director in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I loved my teachers and my students. I took on a school in horrible shape and faced winter flooding of 60% of my building,sewer backups,previous employees who loved to call licensing and through it all my core group of teachers and the children and families who hugged me every morning made it worth the 13 hour days.

I had a phenomenal experience with the Labor team,tech and most of all Ops support Sarah and Belinda need to be cloned and placed in charge of the asylum. They provided honest feedback and most of all concrete solutions to issues when asked for help.

Cons

Working with my 4 or 5 RVP's over a year was like working with the Bad News Bears. I could not get a solid answer from them and concerns were brushed over. More time was spent by them on the phone with other schools during a visit then they ever spent in the room with me or my team.

Imagine feeling forced to remove your own child"based upon the needs of the students." Then working 12-14 hours a day each and every day. All the while asking for help to solve the staffing issues.

Problem teachers were allowed to "do the things they do." "You are short staffed and you need to let them be in charge for now." Teachers who went to parents with everything in the building were allowed free reign.

No ability to discipline or terminate your own employees. Yet, it all came down to being your fault at the end of the day.

Letters given to the RVP about teachers who caused issues were ignored. Asking for help with said teachers, yielded. " They have a lot of families who love them. "

When asked about receiving compensation back for having to remove my child the emails went unanswered and was told to call the RVP. We would never ever want a paper trail.

They have some great people in leadership who rely on their RVP's. Spend more time truly learning about the schools rather than coming in when there is finally a crisis.

Listen and provide concrete feedback with solutions when a director asks for help.

I will never forget the impact I made on a school that lost my baby on her first day. One year later,children are well educated, supervised and receive healthy meals.

The teachers still rule the school. Parents continue to be fed gossip and the home office allows it to occur in order to fill slots or maybe to keep the peace. Either way it makes it impossible for a director to complete all tasks in a given day.

I will not miss being yelled at by teachers in the front office,working 12-14 hours straight each day, or being ignored and told it is all because of staff shortages. Children NEED to be the focus not the DOLLAR.

Working with Down Syndrome Child

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy people and I love the kids

Cons

You just have to be a people person

Listen to ideas that your staff have

Top heavy employee unfriendly

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only reasons to work for PCA are the children and parents. The parents are terrific and teaching the children is a joy.

Cons

The schools work on a skeleton crew basis with not enough prep time for the teachers. All they have done since aquiring our school several years ago is take away from salaries and benefits. We don't even have enough of a budget to provide healthy snacks for the kids. The company is totally profit oriented with little regard for staff or the families.

You are supposed to provide a service for the familes and children. Care about them and your employees first and profits second. If you have happy families and employees, you will have a successful and profitable school that families will recommend.

Got the job, started and could not return after lunch because so disturbing.

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Building has great potential for a properly run daycare.

Cons

I was ushered into a room with a teacher that is normally not with the kids in order for her to train me. Show me the ropes. Well, unfortunately the first thing she said to me was that this room drives her crazy and she has no idea what to do. I, being the take charge person that I am, tried to lead the classroom in songs, reading, coloring exercises. Then it comes time to go outside and play on the playground. These were 3 and 4 year olds, but mostly 3. The playground equipment was sitting on an acre of land with chain link fence. The kicker is there was a retention ditch right smack dab in the middle of the yard with full sized tires in it. Mind you, it just rained a few days and we are in Denton County were WEST NILE is spreading. Sitting water in tires!!!! So, the children are able to go down into this ditch with wire over the culvert to keep them out of the pipe. So, I see the kids start rolling these tires down the hill. DANGEROUS!!!!
    The place was dirty and there was not an attempt to clean the tables or anything after snack. Now we come to the issue of ratio.....We had just got our 15 kids down on the mats to sleep when in walks four afterschoolers. okay! They are told to pat backs. Well turns out they just disrupt the sleeping kids. Then, not even 10 minutes later, in walks 13 more kids that are 5. They are told to find a spot to lie down. Mind you, they have no mats and the floor is already covered with kids. So,the teacher says she is going to lunch and does not give any roster. They then have me leave for lunch. ONE person left with ALL the kids. AGES 2-11. CRAZY!!!! I was going to take my children with me!! Heck no!!

Please make some major changes

A scary place to be a teacher

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Roseville, CA

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Their use of zoo phonics is effective, and the one year olds were able to memorize most of the letter sounds.

Cons

Bad classroom design, Mean co-teachers (Yelled at children), all artwork was teacher directed, the children were never allowed to create art on their own. Very limited outside time, and teachers would take the group inside early because they were cold, even when the children were having a good time, no curriculum planning or prep time. All teachers are on "equal status" and the current teachers were not open to new ideas or in improving the quality of their care.

Fire the current teachers, revamp your teaching philosophy

Ok for what it is

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grapevine, TX

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy

Pros

The children and parents are very nice.

Cons

Management and corporate do not communicate between each other or with the staff.

School Staff (teachers & directors) are wonderful to work with, a lot of turnover in the corporate HQ.

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy

Pros

Working with children and their families. Watching the children learn and grow, knowing that we all helped them become who they are, and when you look back you know that you made a difference in the family's lives.

Cons

Definitley not an "employee focused" company. Maybe for the employees at corporate HQ, but not for the emplyees that actually are the ones that bring in the money and make the schools what they are, so the famlies keep returning.

Get back to the basics. Let your centers do what they know and love to do, which is provide a safe, fun, exciting, and loving environment for the children to learn and grow in. Less "micro-management", more hands on.

Phoenix Children's Academy Photos