Phoenix Children's Academy

2.2
Douglas MacKay

1. Best for College Students

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy

Pros

Close family based, Flexible, Caring

Cons

Very demanding, Low pay, no benefits

Advice to Management

Paying employees more or giving them the chance to get a raise will increase their motivation.

2. Teacher -Lead

Current Employee - Teacher
    Current Employee - Teacher

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Children need you and love you.

Cons

Too much floating sickness. I was sick non stop as were the children. Not enough control over taking in kids that were not well so the place was and is a walking germ fest. Too much combining of different age groups which creates a dangerous situation for the younger kids in the combo. Too much emphasis on showy bulletin boards and and not enough on kids. They say they will reimburse you for your expenses but never did without constant reminding them. It was annoying.

Advice to Management

Get cleaned up. Stop allowing teachers to yell at kids. Pay teachers back for expenses and quit nitpicking at the teachers to justify your jobs. Spend time doing their job before you offer advice on doing things a better way. You truly have not got a clue what you are talking about so often but think you do. Often times it is just ludicrous direction that if you spent a day trying to implement you would realize would never work.

3. Good experience

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I work with a wonderful group of individuals. And we are all very passionate about early childhood.

Cons

There has been a lot of changes on the corporate level.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to those in the field.

5. Poor management, communication and overall professionalism

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy

Pros

None come to my mind

Cons

Complete day care environment, emphasis not on children, learning or curriculum but on bulletin boards and decorating with busy work.

6. Unorganized, unfair, unprofessional,

Former Employee - Assistant Director
    Former Employee - Assistant Director

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you are corporate and have many grandchildren you will get FREE childcare. The company does offer benefits. Discounted childcare UNLESS you have an infant, then full price for you

Cons

Too much turn over. Tons of change from corporate office. Regionals only care about $$$.

Advice to Management

Support your staff better. Listen to the little man actually working in the trenches! Stick to your philosophies and start caring about the reason were in this industry, the KIDS! Stop training great employees and let them walk out the door and go work for other top name preschools down the road. Stop cutting cost on things like nutritional food. Take action against bully directors that push and call names to mentally handicap employees and NOT overlook it just because the particular school is profitable! Pay employees for PTO time they earn when they leave. Pay quality teachers what they are worth. Purchase quality supplies, stop trying to re furbish old out dated furniture.Get some new curriculum ideas, not just take ideas from Pintrest. Get better marketing material i.e. A commercial! Make sure your busses are safe. Lastly, get your regional directors in order... In my many years working here I experienced 6 different regional directors!! Wow!

Great home office Support team. RVP's were a mess

Current Employee - School Director in Fayetteville, AR
    Current Employee - School Director in Fayetteville, AR

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my teachers and my students. I took on a school in horrible shape and faced winter flooding of 60% of my building,sewer backups,previous employees who loved to call licensing and through it all my core group of teachers and the children and families who hugged me every morning made it worth the 13 hour days.

I had a phenomenal experience with the Labor team,tech and most of all Ops support Sarah and Belinda need to be cloned and placed in charge of the asylum. They provided honest feedback and most of all concrete solutions to issues when asked for help.

Cons

Working with my 4 or 5 RVP's over a year was like working with the Bad News Bears. I could not get a solid answer from them and concerns were brushed over. More time was spent by them on the phone with other schools during a visit then they ever spent in the room with me or my team.

Imagine feeling forced to remove your own child"based upon the needs of the students." Then working 12-14 hours a day each and every day. All the while asking for help to solve the staffing issues.

Problem teachers were allowed to "do the things they do." "You are short staffed and you need to let them be in charge for now." Teachers who went to parents with everything in the building were allowed free reign.

No ability to discipline or terminate your own employees. Yet, it all came down to being your fault at the end of the day.

Letters given to the RVP about teachers who caused issues were ignored. Asking for help with said teachers, yielded. " They have a lot of families who love them. "

When asked about receiving compensation back for having to remove my child the emails went unanswered and was told to call the RVP. We would never ever want a paper trail.

Advice to Management

They have some great people in leadership who rely on their RVP's. Spend more time truly learning about the schools rather than coming in when there is finally a crisis.

Listen and provide concrete feedback with solutions when a director asks for help.

I will never forget the impact I made on a school that lost my baby on her first day. One year later,children are well educated, supervised and receive healthy meals.

The teachers still rule the school. Parents continue to be fed gossip and the home office allows it to occur in order to fill slots or maybe to keep the peace. Either way it makes it impossible for a director to complete all tasks in a given day.

I will not miss being yelled at by teachers in the front office,working 12-14 hours straight each day, or being ignored and told it is all because of staff shortages. Children NEED to be the focus not the DOLLAR.

Working with Down Syndrome Child

Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Preschool Teacher in Houston, TX

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy people and I love the kids

Cons

You just have to be a people person

Advice to Management

Listen to ideas that your staff have

Top heavy employee unfriendly

I have been working at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The only reasons to work for PCA are the children and parents. The parents are terrific and teaching the children is a joy.

Cons

The schools work on a skeleton crew basis with not enough prep time for the teachers. All they have done since aquiring our school several years ago is take away from salaries and benefits. We don't even have enough of a budget to provide healthy snacks for the kids. The company is totally profit oriented with little regard for staff or the families.

Advice to Management

You are supposed to provide a service for the familes and children. Care about them and your employees first and profits second. If you have happy families and employees, you will have a successful and profitable school that families will recommend.

Got the job, started and could not return after lunch because so disturbing.

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Flower Mound, TX
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Flower Mound, TX

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Building has great potential for a properly run daycare.

Cons

I was ushered into a room with a teacher that is normally not with the kids in order for her to train me. Show me the ropes. Well, unfortunately the first thing she said to me was that this room drives her crazy and she has no idea what to do. I, being the take charge person that I am, tried to lead the classroom in songs, reading, coloring exercises. Then it comes time to go outside and play on the playground. These were 3 and 4 year olds, but mostly 3. The playground equipment was sitting on an acre of land with chain link fence. The kicker is there was a retention ditch right smack dab in the middle of the yard with full sized tires in it. Mind you, it just rained a few days and we are in Denton County were WEST NILE is spreading. Sitting water in tires!!!! So, the children are able to go down into this ditch with wire over the culvert to keep them out of the pipe. So, I see the kids start rolling these tires down the hill. DANGEROUS!!!!
    The place was dirty and there was not an attempt to clean the tables or anything after snack. Now we come to the issue of ratio.....We had just got our 15 kids down on the mats to sleep when in walks four afterschoolers. okay! They are told to pat backs. Well turns out they just disrupt the sleeping kids. Then, not even 10 minutes later, in walks 13 more kids that are 5. They are told to find a spot to lie down. Mind you, they have no mats and the floor is already covered with kids. So,the teacher says she is going to lunch and does not give any roster. They then have me leave for lunch. ONE person left with ALL the kids. AGES 2-11. CRAZY!!!! I was going to take my children with me!! Heck no!!

Advice to Management

Please make some major changes

A scary place to be a teacher

Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Toddler Teacher in Roseville, CA

I worked at Phoenix Children's Academy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Their use of zoo phonics is effective, and the one year olds were able to memorize most of the letter sounds.

Cons

Bad classroom design, Mean co-teachers (Yelled at children), all artwork was teacher directed, the children were never allowed to create art on their own. Very limited outside time, and teachers would take the group inside early because they were cold, even when the children were having a good time, no curriculum planning or prep time. All teachers are on "equal status" and the current teachers were not open to new ideas or in improving the quality of their care.

Advice to Management

Fire the current teachers, revamp your teaching philosophy

RSS Feed </> Embed